Interview Questions for May'n for AFA 2011

vanpang

Questions for the Galactic Fairy

Dear all,

May’n is coming back to Singapore on 11 November 2011 for Anime Festival Asia 2011. A friend of mine is helping me and fellow Macross fan, James Wong, to arrange for an interview with May’N during the event. Although the friend is arranging but there is a possibility that it may not go through depending on May’n busy schedule. However since it is less than 3 weeks before May’n arrives, James thought of getting the project started and see whether you guys would want to ask May’n some questions. Being this the last year for the 25th Anniversary of Macross, any questions related to May’n involvement with the series as Sherly Nome may be deemed inappropriate or lapsed in the following years by the local PR company handling her visit..

We would like to extend this opportunity to our fellow Macross fans to ask May’n/Sherly YOUR QUESTION on your behalf..

Your questions will be scrutinized by the local PR handling her and later passed over to her manager for approval.

IMG_3362.jpg

Posting on 28 Jan 2012

Dear All,

Our apologies for the delay in the posting the interview excerpts.

Interview with May’n during AFA 11

May’n was in Singapore for the Anime Festival Asia 2011 (“AFA11”). May’n performed live on Sunday, 13th November 2011, Sunday together with Angela, Milky Holmes, Kanako Ito & Chiyomaru Shikura and Kalafina

Fellow Macross fans James Wong, Ikhii, Rei and I managed to get an interview with the Galactic Fairy herself on 11 November 2011. Normally we would prepare the questions ourselves but this year we decided to do things a little different, which is, we

opened the questions to the other members of MACROSSWORLD so that they have a chance to get to know May’n better and this is what we’ve complied :

The following is the extract from the interview with May'n :-

Note: May’n’s answers were conveyed through her translator thus certain replies may be lost in translation

Vizcaya san (PHILIPPINES) :

Question : Should there's a dream chance for her, whom May'n would really like to

sing a duet with onstage (other than longtime friends like Megumi

Nakajima)?

May’n : Actually anyone is good as each artiste bring their own unique style and would

be interesting to work with them, recently I’ve did a duet with a group by the

name of ‘Astronaut’ (entitled ‘ GIANT STEP’ for the new Kamen Rider)

Message: Thank you and your moving songs; you know best how to bring down the

house and set the stage on fire with your class-act performances

D’only san (MALAYSIA) :

Question : Did May’n san enjoyed her performance in Paris, France and how does the

Fans there’s compared to those in Japan/Asia?

May’n : As it is my first time in Europe, I’ve enjoyed myself very much. The fans there

also enjoyed Japanese songs like those in Japan and they sang together with

me.

Question : How was the food? ( Editor’s note : May’n would always try out the local cuisine where ever she gets the chance. You can find lots of pictures of food in May’n personal

blog)

May’n : Ah! The Food! Delicious!

Negotiator san (Scalper City, California USA):

Question : Has she reached her goal as to what type or style of music she wants to do

in this career?

May’n : I try not to set any long term goals because the future is hard to predict. Short

term ones are to perform for her Singapore fans and another one is to reach

out to more of my fans in different places. I would also search for my own style,

combine with dance music and also like to try out many different styles of

music

Gian san (Santiago, Chile):

Message : Please tell her there are a lot of fans in South America, specially in Chile!

I hope she continues working with Yoko Kanno, they're an awesome team!

Sharky san (Atlanta USA):

Message : Tell her she has lots of fans in the US and she needs to have a concert on

the East coast! (Editor Note : May’n and fellow Macross singer megumi Nakajima was in the Anime Expo 2010, Los Angeles, West Coast)

Seanzilla san (Dallas, Texas USA):

Message : Speaking of your vocals, you have the most impressive voice I have ever

heard. However lately you have stuck with your higher pitched singing voice

for most of your newer work even after Macross Frontier. I was wondering if

you will implement your deeper singing voice a little more often. I watched

"May'n the Movie" and while you sang 'Eien Ni' (amazing song by the way,

especially live) and Shinjitemiru, I was reminded by how much I enjoy your

deeper voice.

We had prepared a series of interview questions ourselves but was unable to ask them due to the interview time restriction and we would like to give priority to the questions asked by the other members.

As we are short of time, I summarize that the other fans just wants to tell her that she has done a fantastic job and hoped that she will one day perform in their respective countries.

And with that, the interview concluded, we wish to thank May’n for taking time off from her busy schedule to talk to us.

We would like to thank May’n’s manager and interpreter, Mami-San, for allowing us to take their precious time for the interview. It was a fun and engaging interview.

Special thanks also go to Mr. Shawn Chin and Ms. Aiko of Sozo Pte Ltd, Ms. Lim Wee Ling, Ms. Jacquelyn Tan, Ms. Michelle Tong and Ms. Jamie of Asia PR Werkz for arranging the interview

The following is the excerpts of the interview conducted by “May’n Asia” with May’n done on the same day. With May’n Asia’s permission, we have released the excerpts of their interview in this report.

Question : Astronauts, a new group that surprises us! "GIANT STEP", a song with new

style! How do you describe this song? What are your thoughts when singing

this song? About participating the concert for Kamen for the first time,

anything that makes you happy or excited?

May'n: Ah, I have used a high pitch voice to sing this song. While doing the recording, I

felt this song is quite hard for me.This song is being used during the fight scenes

between Kamen Rider and his enemies, so I sang it with that feeling in mind.

Question : We read the news online that you will be going to a anime/manga

convention in Shanghai at the end of November! As a representative of the

China media, I often communicate with the China members, they said they

would like to hear your singing voice in person again.They missed you. How

do you feel about singing on stage in Shanghai again? Are you going to eat

Xiao Long Bao again?

May'n: Ah! (her face lit up after hearing the word "Xiao Long Bao", she look excited.

That's the President of Good Food Club for you^^)Of course I feel excited to

have a concert in Shanghai again. I’m also looking forward to meeting my fans

from Shanghai and to be together again. Of course, will eat Xiao Long Bao

again!

Question: You have performed at AFA for 4 years consecutively. Do you have the

feeling of visiting relatives when back to hometown? The feeling of

happiness? The last time you came to Singapore was in June, do you miss

the fans and food in Singapore?

May'n: Yup, as for this, I have many feelings. I’ ve been to Singapore 6 times^^

including the Asia Film Festival in June and the UNITE!! Asia Tour Concert.

Singapore is a place that means a lot to me. Singapore, just like my second

"home"^^

We appreciate the close cooperation offered by May’n Asia and would like to thank them especially Desmond Wong, Sin You and Lin Qing Xiang for the interview excerpt

Normally we would get like 15-20 minutes with her. The process would go like this : we ask the question, translator translates, she answers, translator translate and the question get answered. The whole process takes up some time. We usually have like 12 questions for her but the PR would slash it down to like 4 or 5 due to her busy schedule.

Bear in mind that though not all of your questions will be answered due to time constraints..

Your questions can be separated into 2 categories :

• Macross related – anything relating to her involvement with the series
  • Not Macross related – anything to do with her own personal career.

Your questions will be presented like this : Mr/Ms (name) from (country) would like to know/ask (question)

If you just want to pass her a message of appreciation, you may also do so. James would print your respective wishes/greetings on a certificate like format (A4 or A3 depending on your responses) and presented to her at the end of the interview.

Ideally, we would like to get response from as many different countries as possible, so as to show May’n our appreciation !

Edited by vanpang

I really doubt it is Macross-related. AKB48 are HUGE in Japan, Macross is infinitesimal in comparison, and using their name as just a tease for a Macross anime would lead to their fans causing chaos in the streets to make Occupy Wall Street look like the four dudes idly hanging out on "King of the Hill".

If they announced it as an AKB thing, it's gonna happen that way, there's too many investors to potentially disappoint were it not to happen. Whether or not there will be robots and stuff snuck in is something else entirely.

I don't know, it sounds like a great pretence to cast the next Minmay.

If you don't know what to ask but just want to send her a general message, you can choose from these :

A. We want to hear more of your songs!

B. Please perform a concert in my country!

C. We LOVE you!

D. Job well done!

These are just some of the most common ones. Just indicate A, B or C or a combination ABC

This would make our job easier when we finally put all them together and present all your hopes and fervent wishes to her.

IN PERSON and not over the internet where you can't be really sure who is over on the other side (she's not really good in her

English) to answer you.

The reason for this is that there's a 'whisper' of a World Tour concert for May'n but as to where she'll land, we're not sure. From your replies we hope It can GENERATE ENOUGH INTEREST to her company to perform there.

A question I would like to pose:

(Vizcaya ~this is my penname~, Philippines): Should there's a dream chance for her, whom May'n would really like to sing a duet with onstage (other than longtime friends like Megumi Nakajima)?

Message: Thank you and your moving songs; you know best how to bring down the house and set the stage on fire with your class-act performances. :D

Edited by soul.assassin

The performance in Europe was held in Paris, France and she was part of the Japan Expo 2011. She performed like 4 songs and all of them are from Frontier. That is like a teaser/trailer, even when she performed 8 songs, it still feel like it's a trailer because she can do all of it in one go without breaking a sweat!

What I would like you all to experience is a full concert (2-3 hours) I was fortunate to have gone for 2 and i'm still thirsty for more! There are chairs in the hall but nobody sits for the whole length of the concert. It's not random cheering/waving of light sticks (light stick = fun) but a coordinated event as if we all had practiced it before entering the concert hall - but have not! It's an Interactive concert! Fantastic feelings, as if the world had became one.

Anyway, here is some of the latest from her which you could draw some questions from :

! Her next anime related song is the opening for BRAIN DRIVER

2.Her previous anime related one is SCARLET BALLAD for Hidan no Aria

3. She just celebrated her Birthday on the 20th.

4 She did a Kamen Rider song and rumoured to play a small part in it.http://mv.avex.jp/rider_sound/index.php

5. Next year her 2012 concert will be called May'n * Go Around

I don't have any questions but I loved the last 2 threads. Hopefully we can get a blog up on the front page soon so we can post things like this... really cool stuff. I can't wait to read it. I'm actually listening to her Macross songs right now.

Oops! Vanpang forgot to include in the closing date for all your replies - which is the 5th of November 2011.

Here's Universal Bunny (full version) - BIG WAAAAAVE in Budokan 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6W6PA9aTBo&feature=related

This solo concert by far have her best, I suppose it's because it's in BUDOKAN (their equivalent of Carnegie Hall) and normally she gives more than 100%, but this definitely 1000% (as the song lyrics goes). If you follow the youtube thread, you'll find LION, NORTHERN CROSS, ITEZA KUJI - DON'T BE LATE and other Frontier songs from the same concert. All very well performed by her.

And this just came in, from her latest solo concert in BUDOKAN (2nd time) - RHYTHM TANK - 6th March 2011 (less than a week before the Tsunami tragedy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXxcL8kcV3U&feature=related

Judging from the stage set up, it's gone up by a 1000%! And the energy has gone up 1000% too!

Edited by VF25-F

James, be cool.

I remember she did some performance in Europe somewhere this year.

Well, it's good to know if she enjoy the performance in Europe and how does to Fan there's comparing to Japan/Asia?

By the way, would like to know which country are you from? At least I can let her know that there a fan in that part of the world.

Will tell her your wishes personally Gian and Sharky (oh, by the way...you are not the only one who has ask me to put that question to her but.....prepare to faint when she answers YES!) : )

Anyway, my main question for May'n would be :

1. What's your first impression of Sherlysan? Is there any similarities such as personalities between yourself and

your alter ego ? (Other than the fact that both of you sound the same when singing)

2. What was your reaction when you found out that Diamond Crevasse became the first of your series of your

chart topping hits?

Her career practically took off like a rocket after that song.

Reminder : Closing date is 5th November but I will still check to see any last, last, last minute/seconds post. So don't wait any longer as I'm still in the process of getting more questions.

Edited by VF25-F

Oh I have a few questions!

1.) Who are her inspiration before she started singing and who inspires her now.

2.) Has she reached her goal as to what type or style of music she wants to do in this career?

3.) What did she think of California? Will she come back to anime expo?

^ I can answer your number 1 question Negotiator: Namie Amuro :)

If you listen to some of May'n's old pre-Sheryl Nome music, it has a hip hop style somewhat in line with what Namie does. Though in my personal opinion, May'n has surpassed Namie Amuro (and every American singer May'n likes) in everyway, but she still looks up to her, and is inspired by her.

Question 1: Will you marry me? - I'm serious, I've even named my XBox gamer tag after her. :D

Question 2: Over the last year you have become more and more of an international star. Doing tours throughout Asia, and even a couple of stops in Europe. Any chance you will be returning to US for another concert? More specifically the Dallas, Texas area? :D

Question 3: I know that they are considered another studio's property, but do you think that down the road you will be able to sing any of your old pre-May'n, 'Nakabayashi May' songs live again? I particularly like 'Blooming Flowers in the Rain' (雨に咲く花), 'Can't get enough', and 'Not that Girl'. I am especially interested in hearing them as your incredible vocal ability has become even better over the last few years, and those songs would sound amazing live.

Question 4: Speaking of your vocals, you have the most impressive voice I have ever heard. However lately you have stuck with your higher pitched singing voice for most of your newer work even after Macross Frontier. I was wondering if you will implement your deeper singing voice a little more often. I watched "May'n the Movie" and while you sang 'Eien' (amazing song by the way, especially live) and Shinjitemiru, I was reminded by how much I enjoy your deeper voice.

Question 5: Will you marry me? :wub:

Yeah it would be interesting to see her reaction when we ask her if she would marry ? Ha ha

Yeah, lol. Good luck getting that and any "do you have a boyfriend" style questions past her PR team.

Though you could probably ask her why she refers to Faylan and Elisa as her "boyfriends". May get a fun response from that.

Well, they're not allowed to have any kind of relationships until they're like 30. This seems to the standard in most of the music industry companies in the east - because these are the crucial years for them to 'bloom' and to maintain their mental stability, cause a fight or breakup would really affect their performance.

As for her 'boyfriends', probably someone asked her that question and she jokingly repied ( if I'm seeing someone then it would be them). One thing I've learnt about interviewing her is that you could never really predict what she would answer and I mean really honest answers because she didn't have time to prepare them ( if you're old school PR manager, you would probably get a heart attack from some of her replies!)

Oh, I know that her 'boyfriends' Faylan and Elisa is a long running joke between her, those other singers, and her fans on her blog... Though Elisa seems to take it more seriously. :lol: It's actually cute and playful, but still from an outsider's view it could be an interesting question. Like where did that originate from? Stuff like that.

I wasn't aware that they couldn't have a boyfriend till 30. How can the studio stop them? Also, I think that at least recently Aya Hirano had one, and she is only in her early 20's. I know that there is a different culture out there, and the male fans (which make up like 90% of the concert goers and cd sales) want to view these girls or idols as pure and innocent, or something along those lines.

Well, they're not allowed to have any kind of relationships until they're like 30. This seems to the standard in most of the music industry companies in the east - because these are the crucial years for them to 'bloom' and to maintain their mental stability, cause a fight or breakup would really affect their performance.

That seems very strange and makes no sense to me. 1)could they really stop her from having a relationship and 2)I think it would be worse on her mental stability to be forbidden to have a romantic relationship until after she's 30.

I can understand if someone is underage, but I can't wrap my head around this until 30 business.

That seems very strange and makes no sense to me. 1)could they really stop her from having a relationship and 2)I think it would be worse on her mental stability to be forbidden to have a romantic relationship until after she's 30.

I can understand if someone is underage, but I can't wrap my head around this until 30 business.

The real reason is because a lot of their fans are super creepy guys and if they find out that their object of obsession associates with men in any way, they start freaking out and then death threats start flying and mass internet boycotts of anything related to the celebrity in question and it just gets really messy and it makes the person less marketable.

I wonder if it is more that if she had a boyfriend, they would bury it to keep it from being in the press. Not that they have heavy paparazzi over there anyways, but to keep her mostly male fanbase from being turned away.

The real reason is because a lot of their fans are super creepy guys and if they find out that their object of obsession associates with men in any way, they start freaking out and then death threats start flying and mass internet boycotts of anything related to the celebrity in question and it just gets really messy and it makes the person less marketable.

That's more like what I was thinking. If she did have a relationship with someone, they would keep it a secret and deny it.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer was in a barbershop quartet. The manager was convincing Homer to say he was single because "many women will want to have sex with you, and we want them to think they can. Homer replies, "Well, if I explain it to Marge THAT way, I'm sure she'll understand." :lol:

Your questions and messages have been compiled and sent to the PR agency handling her visit (hopefully all will be answered). Interview time is scheduled at 2pm on 11.11.11. Will get back to all of you by Monday 14th.

Sweet, I can't wait to hear what her response is to my proposal. :D

Okay everyone, I'm back. There's good news and not so good ones (though I won't call it bad as in tragedy) Bear in mind that none of what transpired below will be in the official interview post (they are scrutinize by the local PR as well as those in Japan)

The not so good ones first ;

1. Due to the setting in the bar room which was prone to ambient sounds (you can hear the next table's conversation) and there was something like 4 different (single/group) artise being interviewed at the same time, everyone had to speak softer than usual, our recorders were badly affected. Hopefully I don;t have to rely on memory to recall everything she replied.

2. Everyone got like 20 minutes and that's like 4 questions if they're short (question - translate - repiy - translate - answered). If it's a long one then probably 3 only. At one point May'n replied (a type of french food) which the translator (new - never worked with her before) was struggling to translate and I had to help her out, otherwise it would have dragged on. I also had to speak very fast. So overall, the offical post may be very short but we may combine our report with another similar group to lengthen the report.

3. Apologies to Seanzilla, I managed to get your message through (4) which is not actually a question (the manager laughed when I realised that it was actually a statement. ( I was planning for no. 3 and 4). It was about that time when the local PR suddendly came from behind and informed that the next should be my last question. So if it's alright with you, I'll ask her that question the next chance I get.

4. Apologies to everyone whom have asked the 'marry' question as I was hoping the translators would be Kaeda san, Mariko san or even Aiko san whom I've worked with before and trust the message would get through. Still, I think May'n would be very surprised and laughed (not in a cynical way but in an surprise/appreciative way as she's really sporting) (read further down as there was an incident at the end of the interview). Anyway you probably won't get an answer but......

Now the good part.

1. May'n was happy to hear that she has some messages from another part of the world, even her current manager was pleased.

2. I've got most of them through (one question from each person and all your messages!)

3. After the interview we passed her some items for her to sign (they didn't indicate earlier that they allow only one item per person) I've got mine signed first (her RHYTM TANK DVD - received it on the very day I was leaving for Singapore - talk about fate!) and then one of our member forgot to renew his passport and couldn't come and a 'hitchhiker' took his place and got the chance of a life time to meet her Idol face to face.

The 'hitchhiker' was sitting next to me during the whole interview was still in a daze when we were getting May'n to sign. So I 'woke' her up as she had a 'Styles' CD she wanted to get signed. I passed it to May'n and was immediately stopped by her manager. I was caught by surprised and didn't know how to react, i could see the 'hitchhiker's face from 'cloud 9' to gloom and doom, then the most fantastic thing happened : May'n came to her rescue, informing her manager that the CD belongs to the 'hitchhker' which stopped her manager cold in his tracks. May'n happily signed the CD booklet and the hitchhiker was back in the heavens. She told me later she almost burst into tears when May'n stepped in.

Things like these maybe trivial but if you were there at that moment, it really cement your faith in May'n.

It will be sometime before the post will be in (probably a month)

Too bad about the translator and the being rushed for time issue. Otherwise sounds like it was a great interview, and she really seems like a great person in real life too. From everything I have seen or read about her, is how down to earth and friendly she is.

Anyways, thanks for the update, I can't wait to see the interview in it's entirety. Next time I will come up with questions regarding her future ambitions.

The 'hitchhiker' was sitting next to me during the whole interview was still in a daze when we were getting May'n to sign. So I 'woke' her up as she had a 'Styles' CD she wanted to get signed. I passed it to May'n and was immediately stopped by her manager. I was caught by surprised and didn't know how to react, i could see the 'hitchhiker's face from 'cloud 9' to gloom and doom, then the most fantastic thing happened : May'n came to her rescue, informing her manager that the CD belongs to the 'hitchhker' which stopped her manager cold in his tracks. May'n happily signed the CD booklet and the hitchhiker was back in the heavens. She told me later she almost burst into tears when May'n stepped in.

Things like these maybe trivial but if you were there at that moment, it really cement your faith in May'n.

I'll raise a glass to that gesture. :) She's becoming a little more like Sheryl at her nicest and finest.

Come to think of it, that's the right word to describe May'n - Down to Earth. All the pictures of her that was taken during interviews, she would wear something simple (really simple - if she walked next to you in a crowd, you'll probably won't notice her!) but elegant. She looked very different from the image that you have of her during her concerts, If you've seen her Budokan concerts (Big Waaaave & Rythm Tank, the real life May'n is the one towards the end of the concert - playful, funny and friendly.

As for her gesture on that day, I'll raise every glass I have!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies and really sorry for keeping everyone waiting, we were really busy with our work when we got back from AFA and as suspected, the recordings were pretty bad. We can hear May'n voice but the translator's was very soft (probably due to the fact that the recorder was nearer to May'n, and lying flat on the table, next time I think I'll put it on a stand). So I had to guess some of her answers from what May'n said and what the translator translated. After I finished that, I included the interview from another fan based group's interview (got their blessings) and sent it to the Singapore PR a few days ago but have yet to receive any reply. Anyway once we get the go ahead, it'll be posted on a new thread (we have to show them it's actually posted)

We're also posting an open interview with Haruhiko Mikimoto, vanpang is currently working on it.

Hope that all of this will be available soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, The Singapore PR side has confirmed receiving our article a week ago but to date there's still no reply yet. I suppose it was bad timing and the folks have gone for the holidays or something like that. Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone at Macrossworld a 'HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012!'. Will keep everyone posted of the latest outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, we have contacted the Singapore PR and they informed us that the Japan side has yet to come back to them. Looks like we have to wait some more........

Meantime, after watching Rhythm Tank (which was really good by the way) I noticed this awesome song and the crowd really went wild,

I tried to look for this song but it was neither in May'n Street, Styles, nor in 'If you....' She didn't perform it during her UNITE tours. so I was wondering where this song came from? Could anyone tell where and when this song debut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbcKW_ymx7Q&feature=related