"Rinne no LAGRANGE": Coming in Jan 2012.

Renato

OK, so I just got back from a production announcement of a new anime called "Rinne no Lagrange: Flower Declaration of Your Heart".

For the last couple of months, most of the (very little) PR had been centred on art featuring the three main girl characters, giving the impression that this was going to be just another schoolgirl moe show with maybe a bit of fantasy stuff thrown in.

Turns out it's a major giant transforming robot kick 'em up. And not only that, the robot designs which were finally revealed to the public just a few hours ago, are done not by an anime mecha designer, but by NISSAN designers.

Having only seen the first episode so far, it's obviously early days yet, and of course there are a lot of modern anime tropes here which really aren't my thing, but I definitely see potential in this show and those who know me know that I am not very easily impressed.

Names which may be familiar to Macross fans such as Hiroshi Onogi and Megumi Nakajima are also involved, in scriptwriting (some episodes, though not the whole series) and theme songs, respectively.

There is a bit of a wait until it begins airing yet, but I feel this show ought to be hyped a bit, if only for the unique designs and the way they animate them, so I'm putting this topic here to have at least some discussions on what we see here.

http://lag-rin.com/

http://www.nissan.co...INMENT/LAG-RIN/

I will give more information soon, sharing my notes from the presentation and also some materials which I have.

-Edited for spelling

Edited by Renato

• 4 weeks later...

Nissan's page has been updated with over an hour's worth of video from the announcement press conference (pretty much the whole thing, except for the screening of the first episode, obviously). Check it out.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/ENTERTAINMENT/LAG-RIN/

Oh, and Megumi Nakajima appears as a surprise guest near the end.

[Out of topic]

Nissan Juke is my favorite Crossover SUV so far. Turkish Police Dept. are using them as patrol vehicles too :)

nissan-juke-beyoglu-emniyet-mudurlugu-filosuna-katildi-4703-3.jpg

All the other options are sooo boring: VW Tiguan, Mitsubishi ASX, Renault Koleos (fugly), maybe Ford Kuga (funny name but good design).

[/Out of topic]

I have high hopes on this anime :) And Thanks to Mecha God, we have at least more options to watch!

Edited by charger69

• 2 months later...

3f527dd71df44597.jpg

BANDAI Channnel Streaming all episode " Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne(saṃsāra) "

Lagrange-The Flower of Rin-ne (saṃsāra)

- Flower declaration of your heart -

1. Vox - Aura

c38461d4a5bb209d.png

2. Vox - Rympha

864969101f00c5ce.png

3. Vox - Ignis

e5249543d06aa7e2.png

" Welcome to Kamogawa ! " / " Yōkoso, Kamogawae ! " ( ようこそ、鴨川へ ! )

As a girl named Madoka Kyono rescues a girl from drowning, she finds her school uniform missing and later returned by a strange girl. Later that night, Madoka is questioned by her cousin, Yoko Nakaizumi, about something. The next day, Madoka once again meets the girl, who introduces herself as Lan and asks Madoka to pilot a robotic aircraft known as an Ovid at an offshore base. As Madoka touches the Ovid and experiences a flashback of sorts, an enemy Ovid from outer space appears and attacks the base. Lan reveals herself to be an alien sent to protect Madoka and the Ovid, the two of which are linked together. Madoka agrees to pilot the Ovid, which responds to her emotions and changes into a robotic form to fight against the enemy, defeating it using Madoka's knowledge of club activities.

" Kamogawa Spirit " ( 鴨川スピリット )

As Madoka returns in the Ovid, known as Vox Aura, she is shocked to learn that she is to do a second mission. As Yoko decides to infiltrate the base, Madoka briefly runs into another Ovid pilot named Muginami before regrouping with Lan to perform the next mission to fight against another enemy Ovid. As Madoka finds herself struggling, with her doubt causing the Vox to shut down, she receives a call from Yoko who helps her get her motivation back. As Madoka launches a counterattack on the enemy, another enemy Ovid appears.

475cfeb4058e5efc.jpg

0254cc36f3dd8d4a.jpg

Yuri Anime among the Three-Girls ?

Edited by yui1107

lagrange_ghosn.jpg

Despite that Lagrange introduces nothing new, innovative, or something earthshaking, the general feeling I had after watching was of... total joy. I mean, from start to end it was pretty entertaining. Sure, there's some service, but it's given out in proper amounts. Megu really shines on both the OP and ED, they're positive in both outlook and tone (heck, it's like listening to Ranka once again with a "new" album but double the energy!).

Of course there will be some naysayers who say the show isn't enough compared to established brands/franchises, but then after a lifetime of seeing several pilots with emotional problems with dysfunctional backgrounds, I find it rather refreshing there's a heroine with a nice body, a genki/positive attitude despite being a bit clumsy,

Gonna admit I'm more interested in the characters beneath the mech. Lagrange is one of my favorites for this season.

BTW, for US viewers, you can access Lagrange at Viz.

Edited by soul.assassin

BANDAI Channnel Streaming all episode " Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne(saṃsāra) "

1. Vox - Aura

1. Vox Aura Key Color code 01 #40c0c0 rgb(64,192,192)
  2. Vox Aura Key Color code 02 #40e0e0 rgb(64,224,224)

c38461d4a5bb209d.png

2. Vox - Rympha

1. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 01 #6060c0 rgb(96,96,192)
  2. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 02 #a0a0e0 rgb(160,160,224)
  3. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 03 #6060a0 rgb(96,96,160)

864969101f00c5ce.pngrgb6,192)

3. Vox - Ignis

1. Vox - Ignis Key color code 01 #ffa060 rgb (255,160,96)
  2. Vox - Ignis Key color code 02 #a06040 rgb(160,96,64)
  3. Vox - Ignis Key color code 03 #806040 rgb(128,96,64)

Vox - Rympha Key Color code 02 #6060a0 rgb(96,96,160)

e5249543d06aa7e2.png

Edited by yui1107

Of course there will be some naysayers who say the show isn't enough compared to established brands/franchises, but then after a lifetime of seeing several pilots with emotional problems with dysfunctional backgrounds, I find it rather refreshing there's a heroine with a nice body, a genki/positive attitude despite being a bit clumsy,

Godannar did it.

I like nissan car designs, but i'm not really feeling these robots. I generally don't like robots with a more organic design, so this really isn't flying with me. For some reason, I'm also feeling Eureka 7-esque robot designs here, and I didn't really enjoy those as well.

Ah, I'm just a naysayer -_-

1. Vox - Aura

1. Vox Aura Key Color code 01 #40c0c0 rgb(64,192,192)
  2. Vox Aura Key Color code 02 #40e0e0 rgb(64,224,224)

c38461d4a5bb209d.png

2. Vox - Rympha

1. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 01 #6060c0 rgb(96,96,192)
  2. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 02 #a0a0e0 rgb(160,160,224)
  3. Vox - Rympha Key Color code 03 #6060a0 rgb(96,96,160)

864969101f00c5ce.pngrgb6,192)

3. Vox - Ignis

1. Vox - Ignis Key color code 01 #ffa060 rgb (255,160,96)
  2. Vox - Ignis Key color code 02 #a06040 rgb(160,96,64)
  3. Vox - Ignis Key color code 03 #806040 rgb(128,96,64)

Vox - Rympha Key Color code 02 #6060a0 rgb(96,96,160)

e5249543d06aa7e2.png

Gah

In case of emergency Dial

S-H-O-J-I K-A-W-A-M-O-R-I !!!!

Started to watch this anime and then I fell ill. ....

Edited by slaginpit

I like it so far. It's cool that they used power cables and lampposts and vending machines to fight, and I like that the town itself is very much a part of the story so far.

Funny how Eureka 7 (cel-animated) and Aquarion (CG) came out at the same time, and now we have Lagrange (cel) and Aquarion Evol (CG) going head-to-head. I didn't care much for E7 because of the archetypal self-pitying hero, but this protagonist here is nice and spunky, for a change.

Oh and by the way:

post-1318-0-61631500-1327498160_thumb.jpg

Yay. B))

Edited by Renato

When there was the last time a robot pulled off a suplex? Or that its pilot is concerned much about property and collateral damage? My defense, after some pundit blasted at it by calling it lame and lacking the "manliness", "guts" and "grime" of his favorites:

http://hikaritomizu.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/in-defense-of-rinne-no-lagrange-and-the-revitalization-of-the-japanese-collective-psyche/

When there was the last time a robot pulled off a suplex? Or that its pilot is concerned much about property and collateral damage? My defense, after some pundit blasted at it by calling it lame and lacking the "manliness", "guts" and "grime" of his favorites:

http://hikaritomizu.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/in-defense-of-rinne-no-lagrange-and-the-revitalization-of-the-japanese-collective-psyche/

Daiguard did it.

Daiguard did it.

I've only seen clips, but I was under the impression that Daiguard is more of a parody "what if" kind of scenario, to actually bring down to earth the logistics of having a giant 70s style robot fighting in a city and what that would entail, so it is trying to do a completely different thing. In Lagrange, the town is almost a much a character as the people in it, and the connection the protagonist has with it is the key difference -- whereas in Daiguard, reckless actions from the pilots causing collateral damage are considered troublemakers by the organization which has to foot the bill for it all, rather than having any kind of emotional connection to the region itself.

Anyway, yeah, no "pilot angst" is a good sign.

Its not a parody, as Daiguard is played rather seriously, and the show brings real world physics to the super robot genre. The pilots aren't reckless as they are more clumsy and unskilled in the beginning. Trust me the pilots do give a damn about the damage they cause, and several episodes deal with the aftermath of their actions and the relief efforts they undertake.

You really are doing yourself a diservice by only watching "clips" and not watching it in its entirety.

Its not a parody, as Daiguard is played rather seriously, and the show brings real world physics to the super robot genre. The pilots aren't reckless as they are more clumsy and unskilled in the beginning. Trust me the pilots do give a damn about the damage they cause, and several episodes deal with the aftermath of their actions and the relief efforts they undertake.

You really are doing yourself a diservice by only watching "clips" and not watching it in its entirety.

It is actually on my "to-watch" list (especially now that the new Super Robot Chogokin is out). But anyway, I think Daiguard and Lagrange are different shows entirely, so I don't see what you mean by simply pointing out that Daiguard did certain things before. I mean, I could invalidate every one of these threads by saying "Robots? Tetsujin did it" or even "Animation? Disney did it" if I felt like it....

Given the nature and mentality of this forum, I predict reactions like this to happen. This is post-3/11 Japan, folks.

What are you talking about?

The thing is, it made perfect sense for this show to have a cheery feel, especially when taking in consideration the morale of the average Japanese on the street 10 months after the earthquake: he/she has to contend with power outages, radiation in food, political and economic uncertainty and so on. With those issues, IMHO apparently not everyone wants to watch a TV show about more death and destruction (especially that they're weary of hearing bad news); they want something that portrays a modicum of confidence, hope above the rubble, and a funny, plucky heroine.

Not taking itself too seriously (as with past mecha shows) or too realistically, and clearly not aiming to compete (or to be compared critically; let's be honest -- it's pointless to compare Lagrange) with the usual traditional mecha franchises, Lagrange is a breath of fresh air that momentarily makes the viewer forget his/her problems, so as to speak, at least something to feel happy about after watching.

Personally, I'd rather have some fun watching Lagrange and have a laugh, than wasting time nitpicking every minute of it.

Episode 03 " Lan Blooms in Kamogawa " " Kamogawa ni Ran no Hanasaku" ( 鴨川にランの花咲く ) January 22, 012

As Madoka rushes to fight against the enemy Ovid to protect her town, Lan becomes conflicted about a legend Madoka doesn't know of, the fear of which prevents her from being able to pilot her own Vox Lympha. As the enemy, Kirius, tries to ask Madoka to come to her planet, she refuses and the fight resumes. Feeling Madoka is in danger, Lan overcomes her fear and pilots the Lympha, but finds herself up against the other enemy Ovid. As Lan expresses her guilt towards dragging Madoka into this, Madoka lifts her spirits, enabling her to overcome her fears and transform Lympha into its fighter mode, allowing her to come to Madoka's aid, forcing the enemy to retreat. Afterwards, Madoka and Lan decide to name their Vox units Midori and Orca respectively.

The Princess come from Alien solar-system " Fin E Ld Si Laffinty " (a.k.a. " Lan " ) Voiced by: Asami Seto , and Ovid , her Calvary-Knight " Vox - Rympha " try to challange the first transformation to Battroid.

Epiode 04 " Kamogawa Swimmers " "Kamogawa Suimāzu" (鴨川スイマーズ)

Ms." Muginami " (ムギナミ ) Voiced by: Ai Kayano .

Muginami transfers into Madoka's class, which causes worry for the organisation. Later, Youko and one of the organization's representatives talk to Madoka's teacher about her piloting Midori.

Youko agrees to let Madoka continue piloting Midori on the condition that she is allowed to continue living at home and attending school. Soon afterwards, Madoka and Muginami participate in an open swimming contest whilst Lan keeps watch on a boat. Spotting her, Muginami decides to play a prank on Lan and tip her into the sea, unaware that she is unable to swim. Realising her mistake, Muginami helps Madoka rescue Lan and performs CPR on her. Afterwards, Madoka invites Muginami to join the Jersey Club, much to Lan's annoyance. Both Muginami and Lan decide to help out at Madoka's family restaurant, with their individual traits attracting many customers. After becoming jealous after Madoka allows Muginami to live with her, Lan also decides to transfer into Madoka's class, join the Jersey Club and start living with Madoka. Meanwhile, a glitch in security allows Array to escape imprisonment and rejoin his allies, who are making a deal with another enemy.

Muginami transfers into Madoka's class, which causes worry for the organisation. Later, Youko and one of the organization's representatives talk to Madoka's teacher about her piloting Midori. Youko agrees to let Madoka continue piloting Midori on the condition that she is allowed to continue living at home and attending school. Soon afterwards, Madoka and Muginami participate in an open swimming contest whilst Lan keeps watch on a boat. Spotting her, Muginami decides to play a prank on Lan and tip her into the sea, unaware that she is unable to swim. Realising her mistake, Muginami helps Madoka rescue Lan and performs CPR on her. Afterwards, Madoka invites Muginami to join the Jersey Club, much to Lan's annoyance. Both Muginami and Lan decide to help out at Madoka's family restaurant, with their individual traits attracting many customers. After becoming jealous after Madoka allows Muginami to live with her, Lan also decides to transfer into Madoka's class, join the Jersey Club and start living with Madoka. Meanwhile, a glitch in security allows Array to escape imprisonment and rejoin his allies, who are making a deal with another enemy.

A mysterious and slow-witted girl " Muginami " and Ovid , her Calvary-Knight Vox - Ignis pilot and her stories.

Edited by yui1107