To be honest, I actually liked the first movie...provided I don't view it as an adaptation. The original OVA had some good action scenes and the awesome power armor by Miyatake. Everything between the explosions though wasn't very good and the music sucked (the worst anime soundtrack I've ever heard). IMHO, the best adaptation was Roughnecks.

There is, however, a reason why I'm still excited about this new anime. We can thank Shinji Aramaki for this:

563px-Prototype_poster.jpg

Honestly, the book isn't all that great either. Starship Troopers isn't even a novel so much as it is an essay on the glory and virtue of war and militarism and how you're not a real man unless you're gone out and murdered someone in the name of the state. There's hardly a plot and not a single worth while character in the whole book, it's nothing but of talking heads giving political lectures punctuated by random battles and training montages.

Overall it has it's moments but it would take a lot of work to make it a worthwhile film or series. Also The Forever War was way better. Just saying.

You saying about disliking Starship Troopers is a testament to the continuing capacity of the book to provoke controversy and debate; the rightist ideology discussed inside is as provoking as communism.

That other book was written as an antithesis, due to the author's experience with the Vietnam War, and then I remember watching Jarhead a few times, along with memories of The Pacific (both TV series and companion book).

Edited by soul.assassin

Actually, Flint Dille did not write Transformers: The Movie (that was written by Ron Friedman). He wrote most of season 3 and majority of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero episodes.

Perhaps you are right, but the way I understood it, Ron Friedman wrote the first draft which was way longer and totally different to the final movie except in key points, and Flint Dille basically re-wrote it into what we know today. Dille's official credit remains "Story Consultant" because it was in Friedman's contract that he should get sole writing credit no matter what.

Then again, I don't know exactly how accurate this is, though it would be interesting to find out.

You saying about disliking Starship Troopers is a testament to the continuing capacity of the book to provoke controversy and debate; the rightist ideology discussed inside is as provoking as communism.

That other book was written as an antithesis, due to the author's experience with the Vietnam War, and then I remember watching Jarhead a few times, along with memories of The Pacific (both TV series and companion book).

What is this "other book" called?

Ha! I forgot about that one. I thought it turned out to be a pretty good book too, after I got over my preconceived notion that it was a Starship Troopers knock-off.

Chris

In terms of the SST "knock offs" I've met both Steakley and Haldemann, interesting guys. Now, Armor (Steakley) was originally concieved to be a sequel or at least take place in the same universe as SST, but Heinlein, or his estate I forget it's been a long time, said no to that idea. So Steakley rewrote it into its own universe, that bares many striking similarities to the SST universe, bugs and all, and called the book an homage to SST and there was much rejoicing.

Forever War on the other hand was written as a response to SST. Haldemann felt that Heinlein did not convey the true grittiness of war in SST, and being a Vietnam vet he was coming out a much different war then Heinlein would have served in had he not gotten a medical discharge from the Navy prior to WW2. But SSt was written in a WW2 mindset where soldier were regarded as heroes, and heinlein had been an officer straight away, something he admits he disagrees with, hence why in SST everyone starts as a grunt then goes to OTS. Haldemann however was coming out of 'nam where soldiers were, by and large, treated as periahs upon their return home and alot of that comes through in the book. Haldemann has said that he likes SST, but that he feels his book is more realistic in many ways, and in some ways more prescient, look at how society has changed recently and you'll see what he means. Haldemanns other works are quite good as well and I recommend them all, though I will say that Forever War is probably still his best.

• 3 weeks later...

Masamune Shirow called. He wants his ORC armor design back!

post-1431-0-97127600-1321033635_thumb.jpg

Now that damed thing looks almost like one of Siembieda's Coalition States of America's grunt armor. (Next to Wayne Breaux, Kevin Long is the best artist Palladium Games has).

It seems that Siembieda's more desperate than I thought. The bastard renewed his HG Robotech license.

But yeah, anything coming down the pike would be better than Verhoeven's trilogy of drek.

Yeah mang. Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation and Starship Troopers 3: Marauder.

Only the first was directed by Paul Germanname but the writer for the first directed the third so there's still taint.

Oh, I knew about those...but Wanz seems to be saying that Verhoeven had something to do with them.

• 4 months later...

So Roughnecks pretty much took some of the bug designs from the movie, a little bit from the novel, and made its own thing. Now it looks the film version is taking stuff from Roughnecks(the crashing dropship, parts of the armor).

I'm not all that excited about this. I expected something better designwise from Aramaki.