@ Knight26

Also the audio has shades of Armor and Forever War in the dialogue

The words he's saying are almost word for word from the start (or was it the end?) of the original Starship Troopers book. Perhaps indicative of an approach more closer to the text? Interesting....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@ Knight26

The words he's saying are almost word for word from the start (or was it the end?) of the original Starship Troopers book. Perhaps indicative of an approach more closer to the text? Interesting....

It's from the beggining of the book, chapter 1 - before the Roughnecks make a drop raid on Skinnies' planet, which Dizzy got killed.

• 5 weeks later...

Rico wasn't hispanic from what I remember. I thought he was Filipino .

I think that is missing my point, or making it, not sure which. I'm not sure which is worse, changing the character's background so they could cast Mr. Mayonaise or getting rid of the armor to allow them more face shots of their pretty cast...

Can't it be both?

I took it (from the film) as a Blade Runner style of mixed culture future. i.e. in the future of SST, even the white people are hispanic due to mass culture mixing.

• 2 months later...

I finally saw this last night- I expected MUCH better from Shinji Aramaki.

Far too much casual nudity and sex, horribly cliched characters, and boring action sequences.

Character design appears to have been done by Tommi Yume as well.

On the pluse side there is a twist in the usual formula - on the negative side - by then I didn't give a rip (I decided to read a book during the movie, thr ultimate insult for my first watching of a film...)

Final word, better then the last 2 movies, on par with the first.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but casual nudity, sex, and horrible cliches are to be expected considering the source material and the previous movies.

Movies - yes, source material, RH had not gotten to that phase of his writing career yet...

I don't know who did the character designs but they are as bad as Shadow Chronicles IMHO.

Movies - yes, source material, RH had not gotten to that phase of his writing career yet...

I don't know who did the character designs but they are as bad as Shadow Chronicles IMHO.

No, no they're really not. Besides, an extremely fit fighting force is required by the source material. That said, I've just watched the movie too, and all things considered, I liked it. It fits in pretty well with the first movie, and aside from some admittedly "stupid" plot conveniences, it's no worse off than a midrange hollywood action flick. If anything, I'd say Aramaki hit the nail a little too much on the head with trying to replicate a hollywood flick, it could have used a bit more of the flare that went into Ex Machina & Vexille. I wouldn't pass up a sequel to this at all.

No, no they're really not. Besides, an extremely fit fighting force

There is a huge difference between "fit" and "lifts weights like Arnold would all day long". Far too many of them fall into the later category (not all though, so not quite as bad as Shadow Chronicles in that respect). The women though, they all have huge "talents" as Bernie Tenaka would say (or perhaps it was Mel Fujitsu)

There is a huge difference between "fit" and "lifts weights like Arnold would all day long". Far too many of them fall into the later category (not all though, so not quite as bad as Shadow Chronicles in that respect). The women though, they all have huge "talents" as Bernie Tenaka would say (or perhaps it was Mel Fujitsu)

What movie did you watch cause I didn't see that at all. Yes girls we're fit and trim, but not shadow chronicals busty or alternating cup scene between camera angles.

And may I say not enough naked women for my service needs :p and it might not of been Dennise Richards but we finally got to see Carmen naked lol.

I liked the movie a lot. Crap ton better than the last two even with casper pooling his money in for executive producer, his role wasn't horrible.

What movie did you watch cause I didn't see that at all. Yes girls we're fit and trim, but not shadow chronicals busty or alternating cup scene between camera angles.

I guess we just have different definitions of anatomically implausible females (I can't say impossible Dolly Parton swears hers were real...)

I guess we just have different definitions of anatomically implausible females (I can't say impossible Dolly Parton swears hers were real...)

I would say so :rolleyes: I thought the three gals who showed much of anything were not implausible in their proportions. But the only thing that makes sense is when you join the mobile infantry you gotta either pump some iron to use your power armor suits, or get laid. And Since that squad only had 2 chicks, I'd say a lot of those guys had time on their hands :p and Rico sure isn't a ladies man.

Yup, after all that time, Rico is still hopelessly after Carmen. As for the women, I agree that there was a mix of reasonable proportions. Even Ice was only half as busfy as any given SC design. Starship troopers also had reasonable physics.

I know for a fact that former playboy model Sydney Moon is au natural with a 34DD! ;)

Anyways given what I've read from people about what they think the "source material" is I might have to break out my differences between the movies and novel post again.... :facepalm:

Watched it last night. In terms of the movie universe, not bad, probably even better than the first, and a damn sight better then the last two. I might even say it is better than roughnecks, but I would have to watch that again to be sure. Overall this is as close to the novel as an SST movie has come so far, with the inclusion of the powered armor, though I would have preferred something closer to the anime's design, the biggest failing of the design was the helmet, having it break into multiple pieces and slide away like that was just dumb, but was very hollywood, allowing the director to show the character's faces more easily. I did really like the call out to the novel at the beginning with Johnny saying the iconic openning lines of the book, very good job there.

@RL1, please break that post back out, too many people confuse the book and movie, I know even I have sworn at times that the football game was in the book, I punish myself after that.

In terms of the female anatomy debate, ice blonde was really the only one whose assetts were at all out of whack, but not overly so, and I have known women who are built like that, some naturally (though usually with a larger bandonk-a-donk) and others not so. But she was not as crazy as in some anime, the other women were pretty realistically built. The men really weren't all overbuffed either, only Ratzass was really buff and not obnoxiously so, not like James Vega in ME3.

Edited by Knight26

Watched and thought it was pretty good. (Mind you I've only seen the first movie and roughnecks)

After thinking about it the characters were kind of stupid or their procedures are terrible.

Like: While clearing the ship they found nothing but  corpses and 5 bugs. no one stopped to ask where the rest of the bugs were.

But all issues aside I'd watch another movie series based off this.

@Dynaman

I agree the shower scene and Ice blonde walking around with a towel draped around her neck wasn't needed.And the whole Trig X Bugspray would have worked better if they actually had more time to develop the relationship.