OH HELL NO! DO NOT WANT!!!

A continuation of Rougnecks- Yes

A stateside release of the original OVA's- Yes

A continuation of the OVA's- Yes

A all new adaptation of the novel- Yes

A anime film that is a direct sequel to a film bastardization/parody of a classic novel- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!(we really a vader emoticon)

Edited by renegadeleader1

I enjoyed the first movie, it was so over the top, cheesey and funny. The other two movies where crap, though part 3 was a big improvement from the 2nd one. I've never read the book, i've seen the anime ova, which I found quite boring and wasn't that exciting to watch. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this new movie, but i probably wouldn't go to the the cinema to see it, I'll wait for the DVD release.

I, too, enjoyed the movie and found the anime to be somewhat boring. I do kind of wish they used the power armor in the movie, but meh... It was otherwise an entertaining movie. If it doesn't follow the book to your liking, then go back and read your book and wait for Heinlen to write a true sequel so you can be happy... owait, he's dead. Too bad for you!

Let me guess, you thought the LotR movies weren't faithful enough to the books too, right? Who cares?! They were damn good movies that did an otherwise pretty good job of sticking to the material as much as possible.

yeah I found the movie quite enjoyable,had a certain charm to it aside from its intentional cheesyness. The book version will always be there when I want it,but I can enjoy the ST movie for what its worth, 2nd one no..just no. 3rd one,wasnt too bad,atleast it tried. as for the anime OVA's I couldnt sit through them,they where just too dull and the music wasnt engaging at all. Im going to hold judgement on this new series before I critisize,but for now Im in favor of it.

Has anyone played the Starship Troopers RTS game? It combined elements of both the LA movie and the book fairly well IMO and if this project can pull off something similar it could be pretty good.

Of course it would be great if someone did more Roughnecks but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I, too, enjoyed the movie and found the anime to be somewhat boring. I do kind of wish they used the power armor in the movie, but meh... It was otherwise an entertaining movie. If it doesn't follow the book to your liking, then go back and read your book and wait for Heinlen to write a true sequel so you can be happy... owait, he's dead. Too bad for you!

Let me guess, you thought the LotR movies weren't faithful enough to the books too, right? Who cares?! They were damn good movies that did an otherwise pretty good job of sticking to the material as much as possible.

You poor misguided fool, you have no clue what you are talking about. I'll start off by saying I had no problem with the LoTR adaptations, and I thought they were handled very well, but if it was given the treatment Starship Troopers got all the elves would be naked, Frodo would have sacrificed the fother hobbits to the ring wraiths, Aragorn would be a woman trying to have sex with Frodo, Helm's deep would end with Orcs slaughtering everyone body parts flying, Gondor would look like Hitler's eagles nest and Gollum would use the ring to kill Sauron and become the new lord of the rings.

The novel Starship Troopers has more in common with

Here's a short list of major things different from the book to the movie

1.professional trained soldiers in Power armor with multiple weapon systems instead of idiots in plastic armor with assault rifles.

2.The government is the Terran Federation a representative democracy, not the United Citizen Federation a fascist militarist state.

3.Dizzy Flores is a man and has no relation to Rico other than a soldier in his unit, he's also a very minor charcter only mention twice in the book.

4.A value is placed in life. Rico is punished for willing to kill his own squad members to complete a objective during a training simulation as opposed to the movie's almost sadistic take on life.

5.Rasczak and Rico's teacher from school are two different people. Dubois is the one with an artificial arm.

6.Rico is Juan Rico a filipino not a white guy

7.Carl Jenkins is two different people, both die.

8.MI troopers are deployed from drop pods by ships akin to corvettes, not giant sluggish battlewagons

9.The bugs have technology including energy weapons and spaceships

10.The Buenos Aires attack was closer to Pearl Harbor and less astroid falling

11.There is another alien race called the skinnies that the bugs got the location of earth from

12.During the first Klendathu battle the sky marshall dies fighting a rear guard action so others could escape instead of the movies not seeing combat and just resigning after the battle.

13.There are K9 units with genetically enhanced intellegent dogs that have a psychic link to their masters, and combat engineers

14.No co-ed showers, the M.I. are all male(similar to the army/marines) while the navy is fully integrated.

I've never read the book,

Come on man, even that euro trash Verhoeven at least read a few pages before giving up on it. :lol: Even the cast of Aliens read it to prepare for their roles in the film!

What gets me the most is that originally the movie wasn't even supposed to be Starship Troopers. It was already in pre-production as something else when the studio realised they had the rights to it and shoehorned ST into it so they could market it better. :angry:

All in all the novel has more in common with band of brothers or black hawk down than the movie with its name.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I've not read the book, meaning I have no right to judge it, so I wasn't saying it was rubbish or anything. Just saying I enjoyed the first movie for what it is, over the top cheesey action. If the movie was called something else, I would still enjoy it.

I've not read the book, meaning I have no right to judge it, so I wasn't saying it was rubbish or anything. Just saying I enjoyed the first movie for what it is, over the top cheesey action. If the movie was called something else, I would still enjoy it.

I might have enjoyed it too that way, but its like being offered a favorite food like a steak and getting salad instead. The salad may be enjoyable, but it wasn't what you wanted or expected.

I saw the movie first, and liked it a lot. Then I read the book..........really find it hard to stomach the movie now.....at least as starship troopers. The troopers really just seemed like a bunch of untrained goofs, with rifles. Not at all like the book. I always likened the book with Full Metal jacket.....though with a more positive view on serving. not saying anyone shouldn't like the movie or anything was just hoping we would get a more serious take on the source material. As frothymug said, yes we have the book, but you also have the movie. Can't fault us for wanting something closer to what we like(the book) when you are wanting something closer to what you like (the movie)too.

Chris

Honestly the biggest problem with the movies is that it really poisoned the well for any serious adaptation of the book. While Roughnecks was close in spirit, even it was still using weird ideas and interpretations from the movie.

Kind of like how we always complain about Robotech.

I swear to christ if I hear "would you like to know more" one more time...

The second movie was just a typical sci-fi horror/gore flick that used movie props because they were available.

Ed Neumeier wrote the first movie and directed the third, but mang does the third feels like even more bad fanfic. Seriously, " i her u got religion?" What the hell.

Also someone on the writing staff must have seen the OVA because both that and the movie show Rico playing football. Well the movie uses mutant gymnastic football but whatever.

The book version will always be there when I want it,but I can enjoy the ST movie for what its worth,

I agree with this, there will always be people who are purist, but if they enjoyed the book, then stick with it, its not going to change and its always going to be there to be enjoyed. Movies are never going to be 100% true to the source material.

Nor would I want it to be in this case. A 100% accurate adaptation would....honestly be a little boring. But to say we are purists or we have the book so deal with it (paraphrasing here) is a bit unfair. You already have the movie, so to use your argument it will always be there for you to be enjoyed. We would just like something that is "closer" to the book, ie more serious if something new were to be made.

Chris

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's when people nerd-rage about a movie not being true to it source material and taking a huge dump all over it simply for that fact. They can't find anything good about the movie and only persist to complain about the differences between the two, as if it's massive heresy. So what? Like I said, "It was an entertaining movie"! The book was great, the movie was great. Quit bitching and enjoy the effing movie. Thank you.

Believe me, I can understand a little frustration about movies not being true to source material. I wasn't happy about the changes they made for the Doom movie, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

The government is the Terran Federation a representative democracy, not the United Citizen Federation a fascist militarist state.

Please enlighten me on the differences between the book and movie versions of the government.

Movies are never going to be 100% true to the source material.

True - but the ST movie had NO CLUE what they were adapting. Or worse, purposely mis-represented it. The author took great pains to emphasize that the human government was not a nazi like state - but that is exactly how it was portrayed in the movie.

"If it's one thing I can't stand, it's when people nerd-rage about the people who disagree with the treatment of a classic science fiction novel and dismiss their criticisms simply as a fact of differing from the source material. They can't find anything reasonable about their complaints and only persist to whine about people who point out the differences between the two, as if it's massive heresy. So what? Like I said, "I'm not listening to what you're saying"! Quit bitching because I say so. "

emot-v.gif

anyways

As others have said, the Starship Troopers movie was not intended to be an adaptation of the novel and wasn't even meant to be a Starship Troopers movie. And when they did incorporate elements from the book, they simply used existing names and either twisted ideas from the book or just renamed things they were already planning on doing. This would be more forgivable if it was not literally THE Starship Troopers movie. With the major problem being that the people in charge of the license have shown they want to make every subsequent entry in the franchise like the first movie. You may say yeah well that's what sequels do, but the problem is this has been at the expense of more proper adaptations.

As for the first movie, honestly I can take it or leave it. It's just Paul Verhoeven doing his thing again. It's definitely not as memorable as the first two Robocop movies and not something people really pine for.

Not that I'm saying an adaptation needs to follow the letter of its source but it should follow the spirit.

The OVA tried to do some things more like the book (in odd ways admittedly) and never really gets past being mediocre.

The Roughnecks television series does deviate from the book, but the way it is written and is presented captures a lot of the good parts of the book by expanding on what was presented way back in 1959. And it does this in spite of incorporating some of the more irritating aspects of the first movie.

It's all like if someone read the Star Wars novel Darksabre and based everything they knew about Star Wars on that and that they studios would only make things like that (lol irony)

It's not like Starship Troopers is one of the foundations of military sci-fi and has been a major influence in the mecha genre for decades or anything :<

You completely missed the point I was trying to make. People complain about movie adaptations solely on the fact that it didn't live up to their expectations of accuracy to the book and entirely dismiss it on those grounds. They'd rather complain about it than just enjoying it for its merits. Yeah, there's a lot of crap out there that's poorly done, but I don't think ST was one of those examples. People can complain about it not being faithful to the novel, but if that's the only complaint they have when they say "This movie is a giant pile of steaming dog poo", I'm sorry that it rubs me the wrong way. It really makes you sound like a literature elitist when you do that.

"I didn't like how they changed this or that scene, but it was otherwise a pretty good movie." or "This was done well, but it could have been adapted better and here's how..." or "I don't like the movie because it failed to entertain me for these reasons. On top of that, the adaptation was very poorly done."

You poor misguided fool, you have no clue what you are talking about. I'll start off by saying I had no problem with the LoTR adaptations, and I thought they were handled very well, but if it was given the treatment Starship Troopers got all the elves would be naked, Frodo would have sacrificed the fother hobbits to the ring wraiths, Aragorn would be a woman trying to have sex with Frodo, Helm's deep would end with Orcs slaughtering everyone body parts flying, Gondor would look like Hitler's eagles nest and Gollum would use the ring to kill Sauron and become the new lord of the rings.

The novel Starship Troopers has more in common with

Here's a short list of major things different from the book to the movie

1.professional trained soldiers in Power armor with multiple weapon systems instead of idiots in plastic armor with assault rifles.

2.The government is the Terran Federation a representative democracy, not the United Citizen Federation a fascist militarist state.

3.Dizzy Flores is a man and has no relation to Rico other than a soldier in his unit, he's also a very minor charcter only mention twice in the book.

4.A value is placed in life. Rico is punished for willing to kill his own squad members to complete a objective during a training simulation as opposed to the movie's almost sadistic take on life.

5.Rasczak and Rico's teacher from school are two different people. Dubois is the one with an artificial arm.

6.Rico is Juan Rico a filipino not a white guy

7.Carl Jenkins is two different people, both die.

8.MI troopers are deployed from drop pods by ships akin to corvettes, not giant sluggish battlewagons

9.The bugs have technology including energy weapons and spaceships

10.The Buenos Aires attack was closer to Pearl Harbor and less astroid falling

11.There is another alien race called the skinnies that the bugs got the location of earth from

12.During the first Klendathu battle the sky marshall dies fighting a rear guard action so others could escape instead of the movies not seeing combat and just resigning after the battle.

13.There are K9 units with genetically enhanced intellegent dogs that have a psychic link to their masters, and combat engineers

14.No co-ed showers, the M.I. are all male(similar to the army/marines) while the navy is fully integrated.

Come on man, even that euro trash Verhoeven at least read a few pages before giving up on it. :lol: Even the cast of Aliens read it to prepare for their roles in the film!

What gets me the most is that originally the movie wasn't even supposed to be Starship Troopers. It was already in pre-production as something else when the studio realised they had the rights to it and shoehorned ST into it so they could market it better. :angry:

All in all the novel has more in common with band of brothers or black hawk down than the movie with its name.

I have a few to add.

15. Rico's mother gets killed when San Fransisco gets vaped, not Buenos Aries.

16. Rico's father becomes his platoon sergeant at the end of the book.

I absolutely hated the first movie (I read the book first, and loved it, go figure), and will most likely never watch the second and third ones.

Oh, and in the book, you had to be careful when you moved in those powered armors in a confined space. The damned thing amplified every movement you made. That means if you took a step normanlly while wearing the thing, you'll go flying about 50' into the air, That's why the MI guys had to shuffle their feet when moving through a hallway.

That prick Verhoeven cinematicly pissed on Heinlein's grave, and not even NPH could save that piece of sh*t of a flick.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Ok here's a criticism of just the movie. All the characters are fascist psychopaths whose weird comedy only half works. Watching them get killed constantly because of their own incompetence gets old real fast.

And if I want to see Michael Ironside in a terrible action movie, there's always Terminator 4.

Ok here's a criticism of just the movie. All the characters are fascist psychopaths whose weird comedy only half works. Watching them get killed constantly because of their own incompetence gets old real fast.

And if I want to see Michael Ironside in a terrible action movie, there's always Terminator 4.

How about "Total Recall"?

Wait, that was a good movie, it was his role in it that kinda sucked. ;)

Honestly, the book isn't all that great either. Starship Troopers isn't even a novel so much as it is an essay on the glory and virtue of war and militarism and how you're not a real man unless you're gone out and murdered someone in the name of the state. There's hardly a plot and not a single worth while character in the whole book, it's nothing but of talking heads giving political lectures punctuated by random battles and training montages.

Overall it has it's moments but it would take a lot of work to make it a worthwhile film or series. Also The Forever War was way better. Just saying.

Hidetaka Tenjin has announced his involvement in the production, though it is not yet clear to what extent -- he did however do the main illustration which is currently making the rounds:

http://www.starshiptroopersinvasion-movie.com/about.html

Also, take note that the script is being handled by Flint Dille, of Transformers THE Movie fame. Light our darkest hour!

Also, take note that the script is being handled by Flint Dille, of Transformers THE Movie fame. Light our darkest hour!

Actually, Flint Dille did not write Transformers: The Movie (that was written by Ron Friedman). He wrote most of season 3 and majority of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero episodes.