Jump to content

Countdown until the Shogakukun Macross Package Art Collection Book is released! 
image.png.ceb942b112c95453f3925263e118f68b.png

The countdown has finished!

Legos, anyone?


danth
 Share

Recommended Posts

Regards the Lego Optimus Prime - has anyone else had trouble with the arm staying in position when holding the Ion Blaster? Mine has a tendency to drop to a lower position and doesn't seem to want to stay in place. The issue seems to be the elbow joint not holding its tension. I don't have much experience with a Lego kit of this scale, but as far as I can tell I've assembled the arms correctly. Is this a common problem with the type of elbow joint used?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Regards the Lego Optimus Prime - has anyone else had trouble with the arm staying in position when holding the Ion Blaster? Mine has a tendency to drop to a lower position and doesn't seem to want to stay in place. The issue seems to be the elbow joint not holding its tension. I don't have much experience with a Lego kit of this scale, but as far as I can tell I've assembled the arms correctly. Is this a common problem with the type of elbow joint used?

I have a lot of experience with those joints; they are not designed to bear a great deal of weight, especially the lateral joint comprising the elbow. There's simply not enough tension, provided by the Technic pin connector that marries the joint, to imbue the ratchet with much strength.  The longitudinal connection, in this case where the joint forms the bicep swivel for Prime, is a stronger joint in my experience. However, both are highly susceptible to wear over time, resulting in an ever-weaker joint generally necessitating replacement. One can try to strengthen the joint by placing a bar in the Technic pin, but I advise caution in doing so, and while the results may possibly prove sturdier, it's generally short-lived. Too, if too much force is applied, one can break the Technic pin, so I advise just replacing it with new parts.

For those of us who build mecha, the positives and the shortfalls are well-known; they offer a nice compact joint system with motion in 2 axes, but the weight limitation is always a consideration. I've tried wrapping them in rubber bands and using the bar method, generally to little positive effect. They simply weren't designed for any sort of load-bearing, and certainly not for any duration. The Prime set really pushes the limitations of the joint, and I'm sorry to hear of your issues with it. 

As with a lot of LEGO joints, mileage may vary from element to element, and simply replacing one of the parts , most likely this one Lego Technic Rotation Joint Ball Loop with Two Perpendicular Pins with Frictionmay give an improved result. I've had to replace joints on my MOCs for the same reason; it may take a few before I find one that has the strength, but ultimately I know it's a matter of time before it weakens and needs replaced too. Just the nature of the beast, as it were.  I keep hoping LEGO will address it with an improved joint, but I'm not holding my breath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, F-ZeroOne said:

Thanks for the information, at least I know I haven't misassembled anything. I can get the arm to hold in one position, as long as its resting against the body a little.  Just for the record, I've had the trouble pretty much out of the box.

Sorry to hear it.  I have my Prime's right arm extended with the gun and it's holding fine.  The joints are strong enough to hold up both arms on my copy, although the one with the gun will lose tension at both the shoulder and elbow with the merest touch or jiggle. They're just not made to handle much weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

After building the upper half of the fuselage, my boys needed help securing it without breaking anything:

20220713_000606.jpg.b66b472d89bf01c16ab59be9fe412b58.jpg

The body tapers nicely from the front to the rear through some unorthodox building techniques-very cool!

That looks very cool. The A-10 is so ugly; I love it.

Is it still possible to get this kit somewhere or is it long gone out of stock?

I tried looking around finding the maker with the name you dropped but could find anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

That looks very cool. The A-10 is so ugly; I love it.

Is it still possible to get this kit somewhere or is it long gone out of stock?

I tried looking around finding the maker with the name you dropped but could find anything.

For now it looks like they are out of stock of any of their A-10 kits.  But I think chances are good it'll make a comeback seeing how they made multiple versions of their F-18 design.  At the very least, they'll most likely sell the instructions as they did with the F-18.  If they make another A-10 kit, it won't be from any of the previous squadrons depicted.  Apparently they match the number of kits they produce to the actual number of planes the squadron has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

For now it looks like they are out of stock of any of their A-10 kits.  But I think chances are good it'll make a comeback seeing how they made multiple versions of their F-18 design.  At the very least, they'll most likely sell the instructions as they did with the F-18.  If they make another A-10 kit, it won't be from any of the previous squadrons depicted.  Apparently they match the number of kits they produce to the actual number of planes the squadron has.

Neat, do they have an online store that I could stalk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Neat, do they have an online store that I could stalk?

Yes, they do.  However, do check their Instagram page too.  Teasers of upcoming kits are posted there, and they share much more information in the comments section than their actual website.  It's where I learned their B-2 costs 5k 😬.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Yes, they do.  However, do check their Instagram page too.  Teasers of upcoming kits are posted there, and they share much more information in the comments section than their actual website.  It's where I learned their B-2 costs 5k 😬.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I was scrolling through their availability kits and they seem quite expensive for the size. Are the that expensive because of the custom prints and minifigs?

Where are they getting their bricks from? Are they from Lego or another manufacturer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I was scrolling through their availability kits and they seem quite expensive for the size. Are the that expensive because of the custom prints and minifigs?

Where are they getting their bricks from? Are they from Lego or another manufacturer?

The custom printing and minifigs do add to the cost but I reckon a big reason why the kits get pricey is because they don't have a factory to make their own pieces, so they have to get pieces by buying LEGO kits on their own.  To their credit, the pieces they sort out for their own kits look brand new with no blemishes or scratches.  All the pieces I've encountered for the A-10 so far look to be all genuine LEGO brand parts.  For the record, I don't regularly drop a G on LEGO kits, but my love for the A-10 knows no bounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost done, but building the rear portion of the engines proved to be too finnicky for my sons.  All those curved slope pieces are preciously mounted:

20220713_013203.jpg.1fab9d395a6fd901b9135517fa31e91b.jpg

The pilot minifig, while magnificently printed, has a bland expression on its face:

20220714_010008.jpg.ac7b5e4223c95418a4ad4bb141f36a9d.jpg

After mounting the engines, we attached the vertical stabs, and voila:

20220714_005757.jpg.a3fb26f538a9e62891b6e4361c3a591f.jpg

20220714_011054.jpg.1ff128b21a4cb37d5f783f8a36e64754.jpg

LEGO goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT!!

20220714_010943.jpg.61e41392c743f603ec2dd1e6fb54f12d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Almost done, but building the rear portion of the engines proved to be too finnicky for my sons.  All those curved slope pieces are preciously mounted:

20220713_013203.jpg.1fab9d395a6fd901b9135517fa31e91b.jpg

The pilot minifig, while magnificently printed, has a bland expression on its face:

20220714_010008.jpg.ac7b5e4223c95418a4ad4bb141f36a9d.jpg

After mounting the engines, we attached the vertical stabs, and voila:

20220714_005757.jpg.a3fb26f538a9e62891b6e4361c3a591f.jpg

20220714_011054.jpg.1ff128b21a4cb37d5f783f8a36e64754.jpg

LEGO goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT!!

20220714_010943.jpg.61e41392c743f603ec2dd1e6fb54f12d.jpg

That looks dope. I think I can’t stomach the price though. ^_^

My love for Lego is obviously not as strong as I thought it would be. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

That looks dope. I think I can’t stomach the price though. ^_^

My love for Lego is obviously not as strong as I thought it would be. :lol:

Same here, looks great and congrats, but the price is just way above me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2022 at 8:23 AM, Dobber said:

Same here, looks great and congrats, but the price is just way above me. 

Thanks, purchases like this require a green light from my other half and I'm glad she gave her approval.  It just makes wonder what she plans to buy for herself in return...

Anyways, the A-10 turned out great, and I only have a few very minor tweaks in mind, including a new head for the pilot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Atari is really cool but a pass for me, I have no nostalgia for that like I did the SNES, Atari was a bit before my time. I'm absolutely in on the Z28 and The Office sets. Both of those are easy bought-on-site sets! The Office is one of my favorite comedies ever so that's a no-brainer, looks great, a bit cramped, and there's no annex and several other desks, but I can deal. The Camaro looks fantastic! I was hoping we'd get a Chevy muscle car at some point, I was thinking we'd see a Nova or Chevelle, but a Camaro works for me.

1018049.jpg

lego_office_5k.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 12:26 AM, Scyla said:

That looks very cool. The A-10 is so ugly; I love it.

I beg to differ; Fairchild built a lovely beast in the A-10. She was purpose-built to do one thing well, and she's proven her salt in war, with a rather impressive survivability record, many of which survived battle damage that would have incapacitated other aircraft. I see beauty where others see ugly.

The tapered spine on that model is sublime. Kudos to the designers; they know their stuff.

No interest in any of the tv show tie-in sets or the Atari. I grew up in the 80s during the video game boom, but the only console we ever had was a hand-me-down Atarai, which I sucked at royally. As such, I have little in the way of nostalgia for 80s video games. That said, for the millions who do, I'm glad they're making sets like this that speak to that nostalgia- it's a pretty neat thing that even a decade ago, I never would have thought we'd see from LEGO as an official product. Likewise Optimus Prime, but now it seems like nearly anything, barring real world military vehicles and weapons, are fair game for the set treatment. So many possibilities.

Hoping a Macross submission will make the grade and become a set now that its available outside of Japan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I beg to differ; Fairchild built a lovely beast in the A-10. She was purpose-built to do one thing well, and she's proven her salt in war, with a rather impressive survivability record, many of which survived battle damage that would have incapacitated other aircraft. I see beauty where others see ugly.

The tapered spine on that model is sublime. Kudos to the designers; they know their stuff.

No interest in any of the tv show tie-in sets or the Atari. I grew up in the 80s during the video game boom, but the only console we ever had was a hand-me-down Atarai, which I sucked at royally. As such, I have little in the way of nostalgia for 80s video games. That said, for the millions who do, I'm glad they're making sets like this that speak to that nostalgia- it's a pretty neat thing that even a decade ago, I never would have thought we'd see from LEGO as an official product. Likewise Optimus Prime, but now it seems like nearly anything, barring real world military vehicles and weapons, are fair game for the set treatment. So many possibilities.

Hoping a Macross submission will make the grade and become a set now that its available outside of Japan.

Please don’t take my comment about the A-10 disrespectful. 
One thing that attracts me to aircraft is that, no matter what purpose they have, they all need to be able to fly thus resulting in a sleek and dynamic machine.

A couple of years back I visited the Le Bourget air show and they had a demonstration of the Airbus A380. And while the thing is a massive monstrosity of a man made machine it was still graceful and agile flying its circles in the sky over Paris. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I

17 hours ago, Scyla said:

Please don’t take my comment about the A-10 disrespectful. 

I get your meaning; no disrespect taken.

17 hours ago, Scyla said:

One thing that attracts me to aircraft is that, no matter what purpose they have, they all need to be able to fly thus resulting in a sleek and dynamic machine.

A couple of years back I visited the Le Bourget air show and they had a demonstration of the Airbus A380. And while the thing is a massive monstrosity of a man made machine it was still graceful and agile flying its circles in the sky over Paris. 

I'm retired Air Force and have had the opportunity to be around a rather eclectic array of aircraft, working on some, and seeing many more in action. The C-5 Galaxy is a standout in my mind; it's a building with wings on a giant set of wheels. It's positively cavernous inside the cargo bay, and the upstairs pax cabin is reminiscent of an airliner. The C-5 is notoriously high maintenance, often being down and delayed for maintenance issues.  It's a comfortable ride, though.  Looking at it from the ground, it's tough to wrap your head around the fact that this behemoth can fly- there's just so much aircraft to take in, and the engines, although huge, look undersized by comparison to the thing they need to propel into the sky. I live near a base, and I'm awed anytime I see a C-5 or a C-17 coming in for a landing.

I highly recommend visiting an Air force air show to anyone who's never seen one of these aircraft, and many more, in person. Not all air shows may have it, but many do, and generally they have the plane knelt with both fore and aft cargo ramps extended so you can walk through from end to end. It's a neat experience.

I also can't recommend the Air force Museum in Dayton, OH enough. If you like aircraft, you owe it to yourself to make the trip. I've been twice and enjoyed both trips thoroughly. While there, I got to say hello to the most beautiful fighter ever conceived by man, the YF-23 PAV I. The chubby bald guy sporting, ironically, a LEGO brick patent t-shirt is yours truly. My wife's there in the background. Planes aren't her thing, but she was cool about letting me geek out and looking at stuff that interested her.

100_3880.JPG.3abba195cc93a45f8b3c4a6ecbc4cf8b.JPG100_3884.JPG.07c9321e5b9d9b667a5782d6c3c41a72.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the look of the LEGO Atari VCS and NES—so much nostalgia in those two for me—but I’m also going to pass.

What would be tempting about these retro consoles, and what I’m glad LEGO didn’t do, is have a collectible retro cartridge line that includes the video game vignettes as separate builds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, technoblue said:

I really like the look of the LEGO Atari VCS and NES—so much nostalgia in those two for me—but I’m also going to pass.

What would be tempting about these retro consoles, and what I’m glad LEGO didn’t do, is have a collectible retro cartridge line that includes the video game vignettes as separate builds.

Unlike the majority of my fellow geeky Americans, I did not grow up playing video games, so I have no nostalgia to anchor me to these console sets. They're cool, from an artistic standpoint, but considering you could probably buy the real thing from a Gamestop for less than the set, the appeal is somewhat lost on me.  Alas, different strokes.

For fans of Cameron's Avatar, LEGO's making a spate of sets (under the general Disney theme) due to release 1 October. I intend to get the AMP Suit set and the Samson VTOL from the first film. While I feel Avatar is an average sci-fi movie, regardless of the bucketloads of cash it made, there are any number of elements present that I like (mecha, spaceships, the VTOLs, floating rocks, alien critters/people). Too, I personally thought it a beautiful film to watch, regardless of the 3D effect. I like how LEGO captured some of the odd and colorful fauna of Pandora in these sets, and the Samson set disguises a flight stand for the eponymous craft as a floating rock. I dig it.  I wish the designer had put articulated knees on the AMP Suit (it uses new non-articulated perma-bent 4+ leg elements instead, which sucks in a set geared towards older builders). Alas, non-articulated knees is the norm and a bit of a running joke at this point. LEGO seems permanently stuck in an 80s articulation frame of mind, and I wish they'd modernize their approach when it comes to mecha and the minifig. Speaking of which, Sigourney Weaver finally gets her own fig. 👍  But before October brings Avatar stuff to shelves, 1 August will see the release of the new 10497 Galaxy Explorer 90th Anniversary set, which is probably my most anticipated set for 2022, edging out Optimus Prime by an atom or two. Actually, it's probably my most anticipated set in 30 years- really excited to see Classic Space on shelves again, if only temporarily. (pics shamelessly leached from Bickfanatics.com)   

2022 has been a momentous year for LEGO, and we're only halfway through. 😍

LEGO-Avatar-75571-Neytiri-Thanator-vs.-ALEGO-Avatar-75573-Floating-Mountains-SitLEGO-ICONS-10497-Galaxy-Explorer-41a-102

Edited by M'Kyuun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Unlike the majority of my fellow geeky Americans, I did not grow up playing video games, so I have no nostalgia to anchor me to these console sets. They're cool, from an artistic standpoint, but considering you could probably buy the real thing from a Gamestop for less than the set, the appeal is somewhat lost on me.  Alas, different strokes.

Indeed. The console sets are very cool and implement a number of artistic elements. I see value in how TLG could expand on the theme if they wanted to. It’s that same artistic license that LEGO bricks bring that I think will help these sets reach a wider audience than just gamers. I don’t know. For me, it’s just fun.

For instance, my sister, who was only casually into computers and gaming when we were young is tickled seeing that the LEGO NES and Atari sets are actual retail sets. 

Can someone who is tech savvy rescue a used console for cheap or spend a bit to build a low-power computer around Retropi that then plays these games? Sure, but now we’re talking about a completely different project with its own timeline and constraints—apples and oranges.

So no, I don’t think the LEGO console sets are meant to replace the solutions someone might seek out to play and revisit a fun childhood game. Instead, as licensed sets, they are simply LEGO celebrations of the original. Like how the Creator Expert/Icons/Technics cars celebrate those designs. I understand they won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. 

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but saying that I’m into the set but passing on it is in no way trying to influence anyone else or force an opinion. But in case it needs to be reiterated, I hope that gives some clarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, technoblue said:

Indeed. The console sets are very cool and implement a number of artistic elements. I see value in how TLG could expand on the theme if they wanted to. It’s that same artistic license that LEGO bricks bring that I think will help these sets reach a wider audience than just gamers. I don’t know. For me, it’s just fun.

For instance, my sister, who was only casually into computers and gaming when we were young is tickled seeing that the LEGO NES and Atari sets are actual retail sets. 

Can someone who is tech savvy rescue a used console for cheap or spend a bit to build a low-power computer around Retropi that then plays these games? Sure, but now we’re talking about a completely different project with its own timeline and constraints—apples and oranges.

So no, I don’t think the LEGO console sets are meant to replace the solutions someone might seek out to play and revisit a fun childhood game. Instead, as licensed sets, they are simply LEGO celebrations of the original. Like how the Creator Expert/Icons/Technics cars celebrate those designs. I understand they won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. 

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but saying that I’m into the set but passing on it is in no way trying to influence anyone else or force an opinion. But in case it needs to be reiterated, I hope that gives some clarity.

I get you. As I said, as with most of what LEGO does in their Creator Expert, Icons, and Ideas lines, I am in awe of the sheer talent manifest in the various models, and the Atari is no exception. The subject matter, however, has little appeal for me personally. By contrast, although I'm not a car guy, I appreciate models like the Volkswagon Beetle, the Ford Mustang, and the Mini Cooper, just to name the ones I have in my own collection. I'm tempted to add the James Bond Aston Martin DB-5 to that list- I think it's brilliant. Going further, I think the Botanical line is a brilliant as well; I don't own any, although I'm tempted to pick one or two up. They have a certain appeal- not for everyone, but I think it's cool that they're doing something so outside of their traditional norms. Likewise the Murals and Architecture lines. I was playing with LEGO before the minifig made its debut in '79, so I've seen a lot of evolution and progress over the years. I also remember the dark times in the early 00s when they were producing lackluster sets and nearly went bankrupt. They've had quite the journey, and I've been along for the ride. Thank goodness for Jorgen Knudstorp and LEGO's willingness to listen to his advice. From just going back to basics and making nice looking sets again focusing on the building experience to almost twenty years later with all the eclectic themes they now offer, I'm grateful that my favorite hobby has persisted and been so successful and open-minded.  

As a mecha MOC builder and articulation fiend, I do wish they'd make stronger and more varied joints, as well as a fully articulated midi-fig as an analog to the beloved minifig. Alas, their open-mindedness has its limits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I get you. As I said, as with most of what LEGO does in their Creator Expert, Icons, and Ideas lines, I am in awe of the sheer talent manifest in the various models, and the Atari is no exception. The subject matter, however, has little appeal for me personally. By contrast, although I'm not a car guy, I appreciate models like the Volkswagon Beetle, the Ford Mustang, and the Mini Cooper, just to name the ones I have in my own collection. I'm tempted to add the James Bond Aston Martin DB-5 to that list- I think it's brilliant. Going further, I think the Botanical line is a brilliant as well; I don't own any, although I'm tempted to pick one or two up. They have a certain appeal- not for everyone, but I think it's cool that they're doing something so outside of their traditional norms. Likewise the Murals and Architecture lines. I was playing with LEGO before the minifig made its debut in '79, so I've seen a lot of evolution and progress over the years. I also remember the dark times in the early 00s when they were producing lackluster sets and nearly went bankrupt. They've had quite the journey, and I've been along for the ride. Thank goodness for Jorgen Knudstorp and LEGO's willingness to listen to his advice. From just going back to basics and making nice looking sets again focusing on the building experience to almost twenty years later with all the eclectic themes they now offer, I'm grateful that my favorite hobby has persisted and been so successful and open-minded.  

As a mecha MOC builder and articulation fiend, I do wish they'd make stronger and more varied joints, as well as a fully articulated midi-fig as an analog to the beloved minifig. Alas, their open-mindedness has its limits. 

Thanks, @M'Kyuun.

I wanted to add that your knowledge of LEGO history, the designers, and what is useful among the current batch of LEGO pieces (to help enhance limbs or make things sturdy) is much appreciated. I still catch myself marveling at your MOC VF-4. It and the MOC Konig Monster that you shared some time ago are fantastic pieces.

And although TLG is reticent, I still have some hope we will see enhanced joint pieces eventually—especially if they continue with the fun retail super robot designs. The ability to pose in action or hold items would add to the play value.

A fully articulated well proportioned midi-fig sounds enticing. I recall the Buildable Figure series had some fun builds, but the larger proportions made for some uncanny valley results with the human characters. Scaling down the articulated LEGO builds, and using more familiar LEGO pieces could go a long way to improve that final look.

Edited by technoblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Thanks, @M'Kyuun.

I wanted to add that your knowledge of LEGO history, the designers, and what is useful among the current batch of LEGO pieces (to help enhance limbs or make things sturdy) is much appreciated. I still catch myself marveling at your MOC VF-4. It and the MOC Konig Monster that you shared some time ago are fantastic pieces.

And although TLG is reticent, I still have some hope we will see enhanced joint pieces eventually—especially if they continue with the fun retail super robot designs. The ability to pose in action or hold items would add to the play value.

A fully articulated well proportioned midi-fig sounds enticing. I recall the Buildable Figure series had some fun builds, but the larger proportions made for some uncanny valley results with the human characters. Scaling down the articulated LEGO builds, and using more familiar LEGO pieces could go a long way to improve that final look.

You're welcome!

Aw, thanks technoblue.  It means a great deal to me.  As for sharing my knowledge of LEGO, I enjoy sharing what I know if I think it'll make the experience for others more fulfilling and enjoyable. I sincerely hope it's helpful.  I too get schooled by other fans as well, so I appreciate the give & take of info to make the hobby better for everyone.

As for improved joints, LEGO's been making improvements here and there; this year alone has seen the release of 79505 79505.png and 80563 80563.png which I've long wished for, and which are sure to greatly improve joint integrity and function on larger mecha/creature builds. But the old Exo-Force ratcheting joint system, while wonderful in its compact form and range of motion, lacks the inherent strength to handle much weight and beggars improvement. I'd also like to see them improve the friction on their Technic cup and ball joint system. 

I've been wishing for a minifig with improved articulation for very long time. The minifig is a great design, but it's also an anachronism from the late 70s and it betrays its extreme limitations. After handling Mega Bloks' superb minifigs, with shoulder, elbow, wrist, head, waist, hip, and knee articulation at a similar size to the LEGO minifig, it only cements in my mind that not only is it possible, but it should be imperative, especially as LEGO continues to expand their action-based lines.  More and more, the limitations of the minifig are manifest. Whatever your feelings towards Mega Bloks, you can't argue that the range of articulation capable with these figs wouldn't enhance your LEGO play experience.

81C8Z5Lv+yS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

You're welcome!

Aw, thanks technoblue.  It means a great deal to me.  As for sharing my knowledge of LEGO, I enjoy sharing what I know if I think it'll make the experience for others more fulfilling and enjoyable. I sincerely hope it's helpful.  I too get schooled by other fans as well, so I appreciate the give & take of info to make the hobby better for everyone.

As for improved joints, LEGO's been making improvements here and there; this year alone has seen the release of 79505 79505.png and 80563 80563.png which I've long wished for, and which are sure to greatly improve joint integrity and function on larger mecha/creature builds. But the old Exo-Force ratcheting joint system, while wonderful in its compact form and range of motion, lacks the inherent strength to handle much weight and beggars improvement. I'd also like to see them improve the friction on their Technic cup and ball joint system. 

I've been wishing for a minifig with improved articulation for very long time. The minifig is a great design, but it's also an anachronism from the late 70s and it betrays its extreme limitations. After handling Mega Bloks' superb minifigs, with shoulder, elbow, wrist, head, waist, hip, and knee articulation at a similar size to the LEGO minifig, it only cements in my mind that not only is it possible, but it should be imperative, especially as LEGO continues to expand their action-based lines.  More and more, the limitations of the minifig are manifest. Whatever your feelings towards Mega Bloks, you can't argue that the range of articulation capable with these figs wouldn't enhance your LEGO play experience.

81C8Z5Lv+yS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I beg to differ on the Minifigs. The fact that the figures are the same as the ones I had as a child is a big draw for me.
They are not the most passable but they have enough movement in their joints to be playable.

I also think they are small enough to have decent in scale build for them like the Star Wars shops or the Creator Expert houses.

The Mega Bloks one are considerably bigger than the Lego figures to allow for the added articulation.

I also feel that the Minifig aesthetic fits well into a brick build world and it has it’s own charm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Scyla said:

I beg to differ on the Minifigs. The fact that the figures are the same as the ones I had as a child is a big draw for me.
They are not the most passable but they have enough movement in their joints to be playable.

I also think they are small enough to have decent in scale build for them like the Star Wars shops or the Creator Expert houses.

The Mega Bloks one are considerably bigger than the Lego figures to allow for the added articulation.

I also feel that the Minifig aesthetic fits well into a brick build world and it has it’s own charm.

I wasn't clear in what I think a midi-fig, as I call it, should be: I think they should keep the same aesthetic as the original minifig, which I agree has its charm. But I wouldn't mind a slightly taller minifig with knees and elbows as well as jointed shoulders that allow for adduction/abduction. I think they should keep the same basic torso shape and size.  I think a fig at this scale would still integrate well into most of LEGO's existing themes. Of course, seating would have to be adjusted somewhat to allow for the knees, but that would also introduce more realism.

I don't think they should retire the original minifig- it's iconic. But in action themes, I think a more posable fig would prove its value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got the charge for my Galaxy Explorer order, so it looks like those should be shipping out soon!

Far as the minifigs go though, I wish they would bring back the classic Technics figures.  I made a point to pick up as many of the sets containing those as I could find back in the day.  Think they're roughly the size of a G.I. Joe, or thereabouts, but I can't remember if I ever tried using them in any other toy vehicles.  I do remember one fitting pretty nicely in my first generation UCS X-Wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Just got the charge for my Galaxy Explorer order, so it looks like those should be shipping out soon!

Far as the minifigs go though, I wish they would bring back the classic Technics figures.  I made a point to pick up as many of the sets containing those as I could find back in the day.  Think they're roughly the size of a G.I. Joe, or thereabouts, but I can't remember if I ever tried using them in any other toy vehicles.  I do remember one fitting pretty nicely in my first generation UCS X-Wing.

That's good news; I'm still waiting for LEGO to finalize and ship, but hopefully it'll happen within the next day or so. I have two copies ordered, and I'm really looking forward to finally having them in hand.

Yes; the old Technic figs were exceptionally well done and actually featured better articulation for the time than most other action figs. With the exception of a waist and thigh swivels, they meet today's standard of articulation. I'd love to see LEGO reintroduce them in their own new themes. They never should have been retired. Set 8252 Beach Buster is the only set I ever bought containing a Technic minifig.  He's still in excellent condition with tight joints and no wear to his prints. I regret not picking up more.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...