Legos, anyone?

danth

1 hour ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Well... I did it. I bought another big damn castle to go along with the other big damn Lion Knight's Castle.

This one is the Black Falcon's Mountain Fortress from Bricklink's Designer program. Only 30,000 are being made on a one time run and preorders started about an hour ago with it nearly being sold out already.

2780540.A67B8501F5B37204.png

I might have preordered this one. :unsure:Now I have to get the Lion Knights's Castle at some point this year.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:59 PM, sh9000 said:

I finally ordered a COBI F-14.  Looking forward to checking it out.

Which one? I just grabbed the Top Gun F14 with Maverick and Goose, looking forward to checking it out when it arrives. 

Modular Space Station 60433 | City | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Finished building this today. It was a fun, if somewhat repetitive, set to put together, but the final result is a large station with plenty of play built in. It's done very well, and the only change I would have made is to have the pods arranged so that they themselves form a ring with internal access from pod to pod. However, I think that was a bit beyond the scope of what the designers wanted to do, and the singular interchangeable pods in this and a couple other sets in the line lend themselves to extensive modularity, which is admittedly far more fun. I love the clear delineation of roles based on color coding of the astrofigs' helmets and backpacks; the og red, white, black, blue, and yellow astrofigs were similarly delineated, at least in the minds of the designers if not so overtly indicated in the sets themselves. While not a new idea in Space themes (Galaxy Squad did it well in 2013), I appreciate the way it has been done in the 2024 sets, with the orangish-yellow maintenance/construction figs sporting a helmet with similar shaping to construction or mining hard hats, blue pilot figs sporting a non-opening but spacious visor, and the green scientists sporting an opening visor (which is helpful for making quick visorless observations without doffing the helmet, in pressurized areas, of course). The various backpack accoutrement is similarly role-specific, especially the mechanical arms on the fig that comes with the Space Construction Mech. Notable in these sets is the lack of any implied conflict; it's a welcome return to exploration and science-based play that so characterized the Classic Space era. That said, the use of minifig heads for the aliens included in some of the sets lend themselves, in my dark sci-fi loving grey cells, to "The Thing"-like parasitic possession of the human astrofigs. Whether that ever crossed the designers' minds, I don't know, but it sure crossed mine. I digress. I have the majority of the 2024 City Space sets, excluding the polybag and the 4+ Spaceship and Asteroid Discovery, and I saved the largest, Space Base and Rocket Launchpad, for last. Given my very positive impressions from the previous sets, I'm looking forward to building it too. I lament I don't have the space, pun coincidental, to display all these sets as a collective; they beggar to be played with, and I'd love to have them on a table where I can just interact with them on a whim. Alas, not right now, but hopefully I'll remedy that in the next couple of years. I also feel compelled to build a large vehicle akin to the excellent M:Tron Mega-Core Magnetizer in the theme's color scheme that, as is my wont, transforms into a mech. I'm adding it to the shortlist of projects I hope to accomplish this year.

In other LEGO news, goat lovers rejoice! As has been their habit over the last few years, LEGO is once again releasing a more robust successor to an older set, this time the 2009 Medieval Market Village gets a hearty update via the Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square, which also combines aspects of another 2011 set, the Mill Village Raid which came with a single and highly sought after goat, the only occurrence of that animal element until 2024's CMF line featured a Goatherd w/ goat. The upcoming Town Square comes with a goat, newly molded in grey, which will likely make this an irresistible purchase for goat fans and collectors of rare LEGO elements. I still have the Medieval Market Village on display, still a remarkable set, and this update looks amazing. I'll likely skip it due to lack of space, but my hat's off to LEGO for doing such a great job. To those for whom this appeals enough to drop $230 for it, I envy you greatly and I hope you enjoy it immensely!

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Which one? I just grabbed the Top Gun F14 with Maverick and Goose, looking forward to checking it out when it arrives. 

The same one as yours.  I haven't built it yet but it's going to be good.

14 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The same one as yours.  I haven't built it yet but it's going to be good.

I just got mine in Monday but haven't built it yet, I actually grabbed the Concorde too and started on that last night, absolutely brilliant set so far. 

I got this one a couple of months ago from Brickmania and just completed it today:

20240215_222320.jpg.f089128e69df4fa1e5a3160842dcb316.jpg

It makes for a solid Huey toy and the printed markings are superb.  Although I did reduce the mass on the rudder and made the tail boom a little thicker.

20240215_222344.jpg.88584c2ac1fbee2e8b8c864073b76c1a.jpg

The guns and rockets are custom parts Brickmania included in the kit.  The minifig aircrew is quite notable.

20240215_222633.jpg.325a79f195fe4a6799f2d1274b977f51.jpg

Brickmania doesn't explicity say it, but the crew is a crack commando unit that will later be sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men would promptly escape from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. They'll be wanted by the government, and survive as soldiers of fortune.  And if there was any doubt:

20240215_222711.jpg.57921ee4d25b56f4c98aa3d9bb9a6ec3.jpg

The cherry on top for me is the extra, printed sedated face:

20240215_222753.jpg.8ded45a7177b88c6deaedb11fd4fce0a.jpg

:lol:

D923A172-AC31-4E9C-873D-B47921547AE2.jpeg.b2399923a78d66bd93f63e8c9b66432d.jpeg

My kid liked my Speed Champions Countach so I got a spare.  Decided to rearrange some parts and not to add the stickers.  Spongebob and Sandy currently have a new ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up-preorders for 5 new kits start tonight:

75379 LEGO Star Wars 25th Anniversary R2-D2  – $99.99

75379-box1-v29.jpg.1d3dc476d387ea1b2173ea7a3a3a5dc5.jpg

75375 LEGO Star Wars 25th Anniversary Millennium Falcon – $84.99

75375-box2-v29.jpg.2f9d98e8c99bafa805378f89e3ddcb3f.jpg

75376 LEGO Star Wars 25th Anniversary Tantive IV –  $79.99

75376-box1-v29.jpg.437fbc1fc52de2e1f931f58e47a48050.jpg

75387 LEGO Star Wars 25th Anniversary Boarding the Tantive IV – $54.99

75387-box2-v29r.jpg.e9b753c6e91f1862bd5f761ab1730f26.jpg

75377 LEGO Star Wars 25th Anniversary Invisible Hand – $49.99

75377-box2-v29.jpg.61435827d299560221208ecc8ad5bb03.jpg

I'm all in for one R2.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The upcoming BTAS Batmobile will be $59.99 but I'm still looking forward to it.  One of my favorite Batmobiles.

I hadn't seen or heard anything about a B:TAS Batmobile, but I was hoping for it with the announcement of the lovely Gotham cityscape. $59 is a lot considering last year's '89 Batmobile came in at $48 with 438 pcs with two minifigs. I'm guessing the Animated Series Batmobile is going to be substantially longer than the Keaton-mobile, which itself is a relatively long car model at minifig scale. Ever since LEGO acquired the Batman license in 2006, my two grails have been the '89 Batmobile and the Animated Series version. LEGO has exceeded my expectations for the '89 with the awesome UCS model, a nice minifig scaled GWP set, last year's stand-alone Batmobile set, and the Batcave Shadowbox. Seeing them now leaning into The Animated Series warms my heart and ignites my hope for some great vehicle sets, especially that iconic Batmobile. I wouldn't mind them going further into Batman Beyond, giving us a Terry McGuiness Batman, Batmobile, and an old Bruce Wayne minifig.

They've already done sets from the Nolan films, Reeve's Batman, and Snyder's Justice League. They even did a low key Batmobile set from Beware the Batman, a far too short-lived animated series from 2013. I wonder if they'll make sets from the Schumacher films, The Batman animated series (which also had a nice Batmobile design), or Batman: Brave and the Bold, which had a Batmobile that transformed into a mech. That last one would be awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, sh9000 said:

https://www.target.com/pl/365688920

Spend $50 and get a $10 Target gift card on select Lego sets.

My local Target really screwed up last time they ran this deal and put the gift card notice on all the lego sets, not just the select ones. Ended up with almost $200 worth of gift cards before they finally took down the promotion.😆