Legos, anyone?

danth

Some brick related news: the German company Blue Brixx got the license for Star Trek based brick sets (no minifigs though): https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/items?q=Star+Trek

From what I can tell the designs are more in the MoC territory (not streamlined to use as little bricks as possible) but the brick, print and instruction quality seems to be good or excellent. Currently they are using Xingbao bricks.

From what I gathered they would also ship to the US, but that will result in additional costs.

They have a wide variety of sets available from the original series all the way to Enterprise I believe. And they have not only ships but also accessories like blasters.

Here are some of my favorites:

image.jpeg.824a57cb9870ba8d546992adb26c8e14.jpeg

image.jpeg.f7a940a40e66a81a5c87b89b942f94dc.jpeg

Not an advertisement by any means; I just thought might be interesting for some members of the board that aren’t aware what is happening in Europe 

Edited by Scyla

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Those two look pretty good, though I think I'd prefer buying instructions and making them with actual LEGO bricks.  I don't want to mix and match my collection with official and unofficial bricks when they look that similar, but often don't fit together well.

That is certainly a possibility. If I remember correctly you can get the instructions as PDF from their website.

However, the sets use some pieces that aren’t available as Lego pieces so you might need to get creative and redesign pats of the set.

Also the sets come with lots of pad printed details (some that goes across multiple pieces), so you will miss out on those.

The Defiant also has the dry transfer decals for the U.S.S. Defiant name on the top of the hull because it goes over a lot of bricks.

Edited by Scyla

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Those two look pretty good, though I think I'd prefer buying instructions and making them with actual LEGO bricks.  I don't want to mix and match my collection with official and unofficial bricks when they look that similar, but often don't fit together well.

That's my take as well; I'm too purist to make the leap of mixing authentic LEGO with offbrand, even when the offbrands make parts like Image result for mega bloks plate with studs top and bottomwhich would be beyond immensely useful.

I recently discovered a site called WEBrick which acts as a coordinated hub for sourcing LEGO-compatible third-party bricks, and some of the options they offer are very tempting, especially when they can provide a piece in a color that LEGO doesn't make or stuff like the plate I pictured, as well as other custom pieces that many of us wish LEGO would produce. It's one of those subjective choices- to mix or not to mix. 😁 I'm aware of lots of folks who'll buy non-LEGO weapons and armor for their minifigs but would balk at the very notion of ever mixing a Mega Bloks piece into one of their builds, regardless of its utility and omission from LEGO's own palette. I've come close myself, as I have a couple MB 1x2 plates with studs top & bottom, and the temptation to use them is great. But the purist in me keeps winning the internal dialog. Maybe someday, but not yet. :) 

Edited by M'Kyuun

Based on my own Lego collection I assume most adults that buy a Lego set will build it once (or even outsource the build) and display it).

For those individuals it would not matter if bricks come from a different producer since the bricks stay separated no matter what. ^_^

@M'Kyuun OMG, I never knew that plate existed!  That would solve so many problems - is it available in white (what's it called?)!!!  I just got this MOC of the Oblivion Bubbleship (sorry guys from fake Lego Vonado - but they were the only design I've seen of the tail rotor that was round like I liked) but ended up spending double the price to get the replacement parts from real lego in the right colours to complete it.  However if I had a plate that would have studs on both sides, the tail roof hip pieces would fit snuggly instead of a section being lifted off because of pegs holding two plates back to back.

IMG_8246.JPG.c85ebcc7eee4b219ee6a5f6fafab20ae.JPGIMG_8247.JPG.e2eca546333d1ce8eeda48f890dedc1a.JPG

That looks great William!

I’ve been tempted to try Vonado or one of the others as I really want a B5 Omega class destroyer, but I keep chickening out as I don’t trust those Chinese bootleg stores.🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

Hey @Dobber Vonado has been pretty good as far as those China stores go, but you have to watch out if they replace pieces from the original designs (which was what they did for the Bubbleship).  I've had pretty good experience from them in the past - I've gotten a Launch Utility Tower & Crawler (to go with my Saturn V), the older UCS Millenium Falcon, Imperial Shuttle Tydrium, and Space Shuttle 1:110 scale (but they do seem to be slipping now with more and more replacement pieces in the wrong colours) - basically only things I couldn't get in real Lego set.

6 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

That's my take as well; I'm too purist to make the leap of mixing authentic LEGO with offbrand, (...) But the purist in me keeps winning the internal dialog. Maybe someday, but not yet. :) 

I think Adam Savage summed the argument up right when he said offbrand bricks just "don't sound right" (when clattering with real Lego bricks).

11 hours ago, wm cheng said:

@M'Kyuun OMG, I never knew that plate existed!  That would solve so many problems - is it available in white (what's it called?)!!!  I just got this MOC of the Oblivion Bubbleship (sorry guys from fake Lego Vonado - but they were the only design I've seen of the tail rotor that was round like I liked) but ended up spending double the price to get the replacement parts from real lego in the right colours to complete it.  However if I had a plate that would have studs on both sides, the tail roof hip pieces would fit snuggly instead of a section being lifted off because of pegs holding two plates back to back.

IMG_8246.JPG.c85ebcc7eee4b219ee6a5f6fafab20ae.JPGIMG_8247.JPG.e2eca546333d1ce8eeda48f890dedc1a.JPG

I think that's the best looking Bubbleship MOC I've seen. What a beautiful design.  I'd love to see this as an Ideas set.

In response to your query 1x2 Double panel #gds1581 Gobricks (webrick.com)

I don't believe they make a 2x2; the pic I posted I believe is Mega Bloks, and unfortunately, AFAIK, there's no database analogous to Bricklink for MB parts. I wish there was, though, as they make a lot of useful parts that LEGO doesn't but should. Since their acquisition by Mattel, their quality improved notably as well.

Thanks @M'Kyuun, too bad it wasn't 2x2 or even 2x4/6, I might get some just to see if it will make it work, too many pieces tend to make the long boom flimsy though.

Yeah, I love the Bubbleship and this was the best design (so many variations) but I loved how they dealt with the tail rotor on this one and Vonado seemed to be the only place that had this design.  But the design (not the bricks) was ultimately too heavy for the ball joints underneath to support its weight and I had to use crazy glue to lock them in place (its fake lego anyways, so I thought once I went in I might as well go all the way and use kragle). 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, wm cheng said:

Thanks @M'Kyuun, too bad it wasn't 2x2 or even 2x4/6, I might get some just to see if it will make it work, too many pieces tend to make the long boom flimsy though.

Yeah, I love the Bubbleship and this was the best design (so many variations) but I loved how they dealt with the tail rotor on this one and Vonado seemed to be the only place that had this design.  But the design (not the bricks) was ultimately too heavy for the ball joints underneath to support its weight and I had to use crazy glue to lock them in place (its fake lego anyways, so I thought once I went in I might as well go all the way and use kragle). 

Sorry, man. I believe you can submit ideas for pieces to WEBricks. As for Mega Bloks, that 2x2 is one of their parts, but AFAIK, there's no secondary marketplace for MB sets or parts. I wish there was, as they make a whole host of neat and interesting parts that LEGO doesn't. For the non-purist LEGO builder, something like that would be a boon so far as the options it would offer. Heck, I'd be tempted myself.

LEGO, to their credit, have been making good strides over the last 5-6 years for the number of SNOT bricks they've produced, but we could certainly do with full plate brackets, this 99206.pngminus that half plate, any number of inverted plates with clips and such, inverted cheese slopes, etc ad nauseum. And of course, a whole menu of plates with both studs and anti-studs top and bottom would add all new dimensions and options to the intrepid builder faced with the current frustrating limitations.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, danth said:

You've all probably seen this but just in case:

YPW052A.jpg

I will try to get this. I had the original set as a kid and rebought it last year.

Funny that the original Invader set had less than half as many pieces (148) than this new one.

I've never bought from the official Lego store. Do I need to sign up for the VIP program to be eligible for getting the GWP?

19 hours ago, danth said:

You've all probably seen this but just in case:

YPW052A.jpg

Woah! First time seeing this. I've been on the LEGO website and haven't seen this anywhere. Is it a promotional?

Edit; So I answered my own question; it's going to be a gift with purchase beginning on Jan 1, 2023. Totally getting at least one copy. Ironically, I just picked up a copy of the original set, one of the few Blacktron sets I didn't have as a kid, back in October. First a new Galaxy Explorer and now this! Keep 'em coming, LEGO! I'll take all the Classic Era Space set updates you can give me.

Edited by M'Kyuun

58 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Holy cow, that's a must-have.. I just really hope they don't completely under-produce it like always seem to do with promotionals.  I'd much rather see it sold separately.

Likewise; I'd buy multiples if I could. Beyond my love of Classic Space themes, I want to show LEGO that there's still demand for Space sets outside of Star Wars. While I hope it doesn't sell out in seconds like some of their promos, I do hope that there's an abundance of qualifying purchases by folks trying to score a copy of this set. Unfortunately, it's also going to attract its share of scalpers, too, but that's just the way of things these days.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

It seems like all the Blacktron logos have been realized with stickers which is a bit of a bummer: 

All prints in this set are via stickers, including the instrument panel, which is a custom print that in part replicates this old slope, which was included in the original 1987 Blacktron Invader.  3039p33.png  Honestly, while I'm not a fan of stickers, it's a concession I will happily, if gratefully, embrace if it means more updated Space sets from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. My only beef with this set is the manner of distribution- limited gift-with-purchase requiring a minimal $190 purchase; not only is the amount required rather steep comparatively, but the limited numbers mean this set is going to sell out quickly and become as all things of this nature extreme scalper bait. I would rather they had made this a regular retail set to sit handsomely on the shelf next to the beautiful 10497 Galaxy Explorer. At least then, we could get multiples if we want (I do), and it would further provide a gauge for The LEGO Group to determine the level of desire for sets of this nature. There are a lot of us Classic Space fans out there with disposable income to throw at this stuff.  I own four copies of 10497, and given 40580's much smaller piece count (this set would retail for around $35-40), I would certainly have about four of it as well, with at least one set for MOCing up some of the other Blacktron sets, most prominently the Alienator 6876-1.pngfor which the new canopy could be made to work admirably. Hopefully, as I saw mentioned in one of the several reviews I've looked at for the Blacktron Cruiser, we'll see some Space Police stuff in the future utilizing the new Blacktron fig (which has torso printing front and back). I'd absolutely love to see a new Spy-Trak I  6895-1.pngusing that Lightyear canopy in trans-red. So much potential; I hope LEGO thinks so too and keeps doling out these updates.

Yeah, I was not expecting them to print anything at this point.  We lucked out getting some new prints with Benny's spaceship, but that one was a one-off that I don't expect they'll bother with.  I am glad I waited to pick up the DeLorean, since that'll at least put me in the bracket necessary for the set, but I have zero expectations after getting screwed out of the mini 89 Batmobile.  The way they're treating the people buying these expensive sets is just turning into a dumpsterfire.

I would absolutely love them to revisit some of the old Blacktron and Space Police designs, or even just the earlier Futuron sets that bridged the era between classic space and the newer helmet designs.  Still have that old Alienator set, and I remember having a ton of fun with that and this little guy. :) 
6886-1.jpg

I'd love to see them make a few of those new canopies in red.

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

All prints in this set are via stickers, including the instrument panel, which is a custom print that in part replicates this old slope, which was included in the original 1987 Blacktron Invader.  3039p33.png  Honestly, while I'm not a fan of stickers, it's a concession I will happily, if gratefully, embrace if it means more updated Space sets from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. My only beef with this set is the manner of distribution- limited gift-with-purchase requiring a minimal $190 purchase; not only is the amount required rather steep comparatively, but the limited numbers mean this set is going to sell out quickly and become as all things of this nature extreme scalper bait. I would rather they had made this a regular retail set to sit handsomely on the shelf next to the beautiful 10497 Galaxy Explorer. At least then, we could get multiples if we want (I do), and it would further provide a gauge for The LEGO Group to determine the level of desire for sets of this nature. There are a lot of us Classic Space fans out there with disposable income to throw at this stuff.  I own four copies of 10497, and given 40580's much smaller piece count (this set would retail for around $35-40), I would certainly have about four of it as well, with at least one set for MOCing up some of the other Blacktron sets, most prominently the Alienator 6876-1.pngfor which the new canopy could be made to work admirably. Hopefully, as I saw mentioned in one of the several reviews I've looked at for the Blacktron Cruiser, we'll see some Space Police stuff in the future utilizing the new Blacktron fig (which has torso printing front and back). I'd absolutely love to see a new Spy-Trak I  6895-1.pngusing that Lightyear canopy in trans-red. So much potential; I hope LEGO thinks so too and keeps doling out these updates.

For $190 I think I’m out. I only want the Tie Bomber from the January 1st wave and I have a hard time coming up with sets to buy to justify the GWP.

I find the original much more endearing and the stickers are a real downer. The Forest Men GWP had two printed shields     I believe.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, I was not expecting them to print anything at this point.  We lucked out getting some new prints with Benny's spaceship, but that one was a one-off that I don't expect they'll bother with.  I am glad I waited to pick up the DeLorean, since that'll at least put me in the bracket necessary for the set, but I have zero expectations after getting screwed out of the mini 89 Batmobile.  The way they're treating the people buying these expensive sets is just turning into a dumpsterfire.

I would absolutely love them to revisit some of the old Blacktron and Space Police designs, or even just the earlier Futuron sets that bridged the era between classic space and the newer helmet designs.  Still have that old Alienator set, and I remember having a ton of fun with that and this little guy. :) 
6886-1.jpg

I'd love to see them make a few of those new canopies in red.

All graphics in 10497 were printed; no stickers in that set, and there were quite a few printed bits. Obviously, as an anniversary set, it had a much higher budget, piece count, and minifig count. The Blacktron Cruiser (not sure why they didn't carry its original namesake, Invader, over but whatever) as a GWP set just doesn't get that kind of budget, unfortunately, hence stickers. But, I'm ok with it just to have more Classic Space era sets. I have a dinner date with friends this evening, and I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to get on LEGO.com and get in an appropriate order to at least get one copy of this set before it gets spammed by scalpers. We all know it's gonna happen. Kinda miss the days before the adult market for toys really opened up- at least stuff remained available for longer periods without jockeying to try and get your order in immediately or hope to find some kind of reasonable deal on the secondary market. Too many greedy people nowadays that suck the joy out of what should be a fun experience.

And I don't exclude LEGO from the blame either; this is a known pattern with these sorts of limited edition sets, and yet they keep putting them out in this manner. Not the best, and certainly not good enough.<_<

I guess I should say I'm not terribly concerned about not getting the bonus model.  I'd love to be able to get it, but if the site gets hammered, I probably won't bother until a day or so later.

I was quite happy to see I've got enough VIP points to get a DeLorean at half off though, so I'm going to finally grab one of those in the attempt. ^_^ 

While I am a HUGE Blacktron 1 fan, and this set is pretty much designed just for me (the Invade is my fave Blacktron set)----$190 is just too steep, when it really doesn't include any Blacktron parts!  All stickers.    I can probably just Bricklink it, and do a few part-swaps with real vintage printed Blacktron pieces for some markings.   

I still plan to think about though---I do kinda like the Tallneck set, and that plus the TIE Bomber would get me close...

14 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

While I am a HUGE Blacktron 1 fan, and this set is pretty much designed just for me (the Invade is my fave Blacktron set)----$190 is just too steep, when it really doesn't include any Blacktron parts!  All stickers.    I can probably just Bricklink it, and do a few part-swaps with real vintage printed Blacktron pieces for some markings.   

I still plan to think about though---I do kinda like the Tallneck set, and that plus the TIE Bomber would get me close...

If I end up missing out on the set itself, I may just put one together via bit and piecing. I have a spare slope piece with the Blacktron symbol printed on it, so if I need to, I can cobble my own together. That said, I'd still like to have a copy of this just to have it. I've always had a soft spot for Blacktron I as well, but I never had the Invader as a kid. This past October, I picked up a used copy from a vendor at BrickCon in Seattle- no box or instructions, IIRC, but all the parts were there and it now resides mission ready on my shelf among a host of various CS era sets that I've been acquiring over the years.

The Tallneck is a good choice; what it lacks in articulation it more than makes up in presentation. It's a fun build too, which is always kinda the point with LEGO, at least in theory if not in execution. I was hoping there'd be more Horizon machine sets to follow in 2023, but thus far the Tallneck seems to be a one-off. More's the pity; they could milk this license copiously, and I'd happily buy most or all of them. I was also hoping Optimus Prime would see another licensed Transformers follow-up set, most likely Bumblebee due to his popularity and the innocuous, i.e. non-modern warfare-related, nature of his alt mode. LEGO's stance on such things precludes G1 Seekers or a G1 Megs that turns into a pistol.

4FBA7460-BD36-4F68-ADA8-D3B61E7B8243.jpeg.cb91555d8e5a07b702955f959de133f8.jpeg

B2599BD7-2872-4618-9369-B50FCD59BD2D.jpeg.b3427ffc9cba545ee09cc3eb5d0bab45.jpeg

6752131D-9D5D-42AA-92F0-C1571FF458CE.jpeg.662e5add1c5911014faedf3e4a9ec416.jpeg

2152FACA-5CCE-4C6A-A2D6-A5042B481F47.jpeg.64412acc9861173ebc8a999ec802291c.jpeg

1E9395B9-E552-40FF-9EC9-83F99513F17D.jpeg.fc1f1ab5f9b828c2cc763a2838b401e0.jpeg

The guy who made the Knight Rider and A-Team sets also made a Street Hawk and Airwolf.  Unfortunately Airwolf was restricted on Lego Ideas and Knight Rider and A-Team didn't make it.  I would have bought them all.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:35 PM, Chronocidal said:

Those hoping for the Blacktron set, the site is up and functional now.  Working a little slow, but I got through with not too much trouble.

I was able to put in two qualifying orders, so I'll be getting a pair of Blacktron Cruisers in the near future, as well as a handful of cool new 2023 sets and the Sanctum Sanctorum. So happy. I didn't get home until close to 0200 PST and felt certain that the Blacktron set was going to be exhausted after five hours of being available. Guess the $190 threshold was a bit much for many folks. 

Edit: Later in the afternoon, I realized I'd forgotten to order the new Quinjet and Hulkbuster sets, so I got them and the Monkie Kid Combi mech which landed me a third copy of the Blacktron Cruiser. Feeling rather squee at the prospect of having three of those new Blacktron astrofigs with back printing. 😍 I was worried I wouldn't even get one copy, so I'm quite elated, although I dropped nearly a grand on LEGO in one day, which is pretty much a record after 40+ years of collecting.

Edited by M'Kyuun

17 hours ago, sh9000 said:

4FBA7460-BD36-4F68-ADA8-D3B61E7B8243.jpeg.cb91555d8e5a07b702955f959de133f8.jpeg

B2599BD7-2872-4618-9369-B50FCD59BD2D.jpeg.b3427ffc9cba545ee09cc3eb5d0bab45.jpeg

6752131D-9D5D-42AA-92F0-C1571FF458CE.jpeg.662e5add1c5911014faedf3e4a9ec416.jpeg

2152FACA-5CCE-4C6A-A2D6-A5042B481F47.jpeg.64412acc9861173ebc8a999ec802291c.jpeg

1E9395B9-E552-40FF-9EC9-83F99513F17D.jpeg.fc1f1ab5f9b828c2cc763a2838b401e0.jpeg

The guy who made the Knight Rider and A-Team sets also made a Street Hawk and Airwolf.  Unfortunately Airwolf was restricted on Lego Ideas and Knight Rider and A-Team didn't make it.  I would have bought them all.

I would’ve loved to have that Airwolf!

Chris

On 1/1/2023 at 9:42 AM, Dobber said:

I would’ve loved to have that Airwolf!

Chris

Me too. Great looking model. Probably a little too modern and warfare related for LEGO's rules, though, more's the pity. 

Pretty sure I would have plunked down the cash for that Knight Rider set, too- the submission model, at least, is gorgeous.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Yesterday I built the first Lego set of the year, the new Tie Bomber.

I'm excited to finally get a new item in my collection of mostly Minifig scaled OT Star Wars vessels. I just need a Tie Interceptor, some Endor Speederbikes, an Imperial Shuttle and a SSD to reach completion. 

Overall I’m contempt with the set. However, it looks a tad on the small size next to the Han Solo Tie Fighter I have. I also wished for a more evolved bomb dropping feature. I don’t understand why there is no rotating bomb drop mechanism like on the Y-Wing that didn‘t result in an ugly opening on the top.

There is a rumored two pack of a Tie Interceptor and Mandalorian Fighter so maybe I will get another piece closer to completion this year (two if the Endor diorama is not too expensive).

I worry that this new Tie Interceptor will look too awkward next to my Tie Fighter since it will probably not have the same fuselage as the one I have.

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The Knight Rider set had so much potential.  If released KITT by itself in the Speed Champions line I would absolutely buy it.  

Me too. 

I didn't think of that, but I did pass a request to one of the LEGO designers on Twitter, to pass to the Speed Champions Team, for both a Mach 5 from Speed Racer and a GSX Asurada from Future GPX Cyber Formula. I didn't hear anything back from him, so I don't know if he passed it along or not. I'm sure they get hit with requests all the time, and I'm nobody of significance. Regardless, I felt there was no harm in asking.

Speaking of Speed Champions, they're introducing a number of cool new parts to the palette this year. Of particular notice is this gem: LEGO 1x1x23 brick 2023

This part will surely be a godsend, only two plates tall with a rounded back allowing rotation, and a hollow stud facing sideways. I've been wanting something like this for years and thanks to the Speed Champion Team, we're finally getting it. My utmost gratitude!

The 2023 sets, as those of us who collect them have come to expect, are chock full of new and interesting techniques, often using unexpected parts in cool and unusual ways to achieve brick-built details of the real cars. These sets are always a treat to build even if cars aren't your thing.  I'm not a car guy myself, although I do like the look of many of these supercars and enjoy having these brick-built replicas in my collection.