Legos, anyone?

danth

For those of you looking to add some diversity to your LL928 Galaxy Explorer crew, D&K - at least in the UK - appear to have re-issued their "Lego Minifigure - A Visual History" book. This comes with the orange Space minifigure, which I believe is exclusive to this book. The list price in the UK is £30, but the newsagents W.H. Smith in the UK has it on sale for £8 (!) currently.

Question, what time are things usually put on sale on The Lego site? I’d like to get the new UCS Razorcrest and it goes on sale for VIP tomorrow. But does that mean midnight tonight or some other time like Bandai’s preorder madness?

Chris

I also have a question, of a different kind - do any of you know any good suppliers of display cases suitable for larger Lego kits (preferably in the UK)? Ones that can be relatively easily opened for access? I'm specifically thinking of something big enough for the recent Galaxy Explorer. I've tried amazon before for a warplane model I was given and wound up with a flimsy plastic thing that falls apart if even thought about.

For those of you that don't use a display case, how do you keep your kits dust-free?

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Question, what time are things usually put on sale on The Lego site? I’d like to get the new UCS Razorcrest and it goes on sale for VIP tomorrow. But does that mean midnight tonight or some other time like Bandai’s preorder madness?

Chris

Most likely midnight.

It's a lovely set- saw one in person here at BrickCon. 

Good luck getting a copy, Dobber!

2 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I also have a question, of a different kind - do any of you know any good suppliers of display cases suitable for larger Lego kits (preferably in the UK)? Ones that can be relatively easily opened for access? I'm specifically thinking of something big enough for the recent Galaxy Explorer. I've tried amazon before for a warplane model I was given and wound up with a flimsy plastic thing that falls apart if even thought about.

For those of you that don't use a display case, how do you keep your kits dust-free?

Speaking as a fan with a multitude of sets on display all around his house, the short answer is I don't. It's a nigh impossible chore, and living in dusty eastern Washington state, a task made all the more monumental. I do, however, store some sets and minifigs in tupperware-like storage cases that are roughly about 2' x 1' give or take as a way of achieving more vertical storage as well as preventing dust buildup. But that method is certainly not optimal for display. As to what you're describing, I've yet to encounter any proper display solution that is clear but closed. Walmart has recently been selling some clear drawers and boxes (I forget the brand name and my hotel's internet is abysmally slow) which I've been buying to display my Transformers, but I'm not sure that any one the ones I've seen are large enough for the Galaxy Explorer 2.0. However, have a look at Argos' site- they may have something. 

Wish I could be of more help, as I could also use some better solutions for displaying my LEGO. 

18 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Okay, thanks for the advice. Its probably a bit of a walk to my nearest Walmart (😉) but I'll see what Argos ("The laminated Book of Dreams!") might be able to do.

Every success in finding what you're looking for. If you find something fit to task, feel free to share it with the rest of us dusty brick clickers. Cheers!

Will do. What inspired the question is my local Fish and Chip shop - of all places! - has the Lego "Titanic" in the window and they've managed to find a display case to fit that, which although obviously the wrong size is the right style of thing I'm after. I'd ask them, but trouble is its quite a busy place and not easy to get a quiet moment.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I’d love to have a case for my LEGO Titanic but the thing is HUGE. Don’t really have a good place to display it so it’s just on my work table in my basement where I built it still. 
On a different note, I was able to get the UCS Razorcrest this morning. So that will be my project over my Christmas Vacation. Titanic was last year.  Star Destroyer the year before. Kind of a fun tradition now I look forward to. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my local Wally last night and happened upon this set. I absolutely adore the design of this thing, at least LEGO's take. Hasbro has a version that's a bit...underwhelming. That's often the interesting factor with LEGO sets based on IP based vehicles and such: sometimes they hit a homerun, sometimes they're in the ballpark, and sometimes they're not even in the stadium. I get the sense, Looking at Habro's, that this is ballpark, with a little license (for the better IMHO). I tried to find a movie still or some official image as it appears in the film to no avail, so a comparison with true source is impossible for now. The nature of these things, too, is that LEGO is often given scant early concepts to work from and the designs change, sometimes quite notably, from those concepts, resulting in sets that don't look like their namesake. Alas, the toymaker's dilemma.

I'm not going to do a full review- plenty of those on YT. What I am going to do is wax a bit wistful, as this would have been an excellent midrange ship in a Blacktron 3 line. I grew up with Classic Space and beyond, so designs like this always evoke within me a deep longing for LEGO to return to those old themes with, much like the glorious 10497 Galaxy Explorer (2.0), a modern sense of design and use of all the new parts that've come about over the last 30 years. I also want to tip my hat to the designer of this set- fun build, a little repetitive due to the layered wing design, but otherwise fulfilling at the end for the lovely little VTOL craft your efforts yield. Good stuff.

The discerning eye will notice garage door slats used as trailing edge details on the wings. Initially I thought they were going to be installed in the opposite direction, effectively giving the model working stabilizers, although in hindsight, positioning three per wing would get a little tedious, even if it did look wicked cool. The photo makes them look like they're glowing, but in fact they and the 6x6 dishes used to fill out the engine ducts are cast in iridescent plastic, albeit in different hues, which responded in glowy fashion to my camera's flash. Nice effect, methinks. The engines are mounted on ball joints, and so can be positioned in any number of configurations, although the current config, per instructions, seizes on the rounded shaping of the leading edges of the wings which create a nice 'pocket' for them to inhabit. It's all very purposeful, complimentary, and dare I say, lovely to behold. The wings themselves are mounted on EXO-Force era 2-axis ratcheting joints, which allow them to pivot back giving them a sublime rake and opening up that pocket for the engines. I initially thought the wing layers would open up X-Wing style, but they're held together at the tips with three droid arms a-piece, making it clear they're intended to stay sandwiched. Regardless, it's LEGO, so one can do with it as he or she pleases. I'm ok with it as designed; I think it's a lovely kit and whether or not you give a lick about Black Panther (I do), if you like LEGO (you probably do if you're reading this thread) and you like cool sci-fi ship designs, I don't think this will disappoint.  The price is a little steep: $50 for only 355 parts. Of course, part of that is licensing, some new molds (I believe the three hair molds and the headdress are all new), and some large pieces like the quarter round bits that make up the engine cowling as well as the large plate to which they're attached.  It's worth the wait to find it at discount, but I really wanted it, and my wife was kind enough to get it for me. Price notwithstanding, recommended.

100_6002.JPG.828509728d745c73adca3b137be9221f.JPG100_6003.JPG.0a060a7d3f0c921a8e178e0ffd48a9f9.JPG

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Lego 76210 HULKBUSTER
US$549.99

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

See the source image

I love the Hulkbuster Armor, but LEGO seems to have a hard time nailing it. I bought the previous UCS set, which was a bit disappointing due to its lack of articulation below the waist. Sure, I could mod it, but the point is, with all the joints at their disposal, and moreover, their ability to craft new joints up to the task, I shouldn't have to. It, like this new entry, was targeted at adults, not little kids, so the stability argument loses weight with me. Additionally, like this version, the proportions of the torso and legs seem wrong- the Hulkbuster should have a stubby looking torso due to its girth, and much larger thighs and lower legs, as well as larger arms. Even more than the previous model, this Hulkbuster, which admittedly gets far more of the superficial details correct, is proportionally off. I posted a pic of Hot Toys' Hulkbuster for comparison. I appreciate that this model can accommodate the Iron Man buildable character set released earlier this year, but the tradeoff is a slight lengthening of the torso which seems too tall and too thin to my eye. For the asking price of $549, I expect a nigh perfect replica , especially if it lacks articulation below the waist, which it almost certainly does. Too, while I appreciate that the buildable fig can fit in it, I'd much rather they eschew that feature in lieu of doing all they can to nail the thing as it appeared in the movie, concentrating on proportions since articulation is not much of a consideration.

Here's a nice MOC that comes closer to true at the original UCS HB's scale. this one has full articulation to boot. 

See the source image

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got 10497. Great design and was a fun build with my son... tempted to get another to build a 924 or 918, though do wish there were printed bricks for them,  though... and enough for both smaller alt builds. Getting three seems a bit extravagant.  Would be nice if Lego would do an accessory pack for that.  Local Walmart had so many kinda hoping they'll blow them out. 

6 hours ago, Uxi said:

Finally got 10497. Great design and was a fun build with my son... tempted to get another to build a 924 or 918, though do wish there were printed bricks for them,  though... and enough for both smaller alt builds. Getting three seems a bit extravagant.  Would be nice if Lego would do an accessory pack for that.  Local Walmart had so many kinda hoping they'll blow them out. 

10497 is a nice set.

Alas, all three builds (main, and 2 alternatives) require many of the same parts.  So despite the oodles of excess parts with the smallest alt build, it seems that one would need 3 sets...

KIMG0441.JPG.871c7fbf06260b92a0e0796026ef17fd.JPG

↑ the coffee mug is full of parts, too.

Edited by sketchley

The smallest alt. build is still quite sizeable. 

Here it is next to the spaceships from 70821, and 70841.  I'm pretty sure that the ship in 70821 is the Galaxy Explorer, and I have a hunch that the mini ship in 70841 is also based on the 918 Space Transport (inspiration of the smaller alt. build—which is gigantic in comparison!)

KIMG0443.JPG.9e394d76017f58c3dc5134a19639a1f9.JPG

The 918 seems a bit too long.  Not sore I like the spacing of the front guns on the 924 which needs a nose mod.  

My thoughts are all on a modern Starfleet Voyager right now though. 

On 11/5/2022 at 3:36 AM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Nice! I was so close to buying one too but I had to hold off.  The gull wing looks real good.

Yeah, too bad it doesn’t have flaps down for when the wings are folded. I was a total sucker though. One I first went to the page it said 9 available and when I checked back a couple hours later it was down to 4 and they got me. Lol

Chris

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Yeah, too bad it doesn’t have flaps down for when the wings are folded. I was a total sucker though. One I first went to the page it said 9 available and when I checked back a couple hours later it was down to 4 and they got me. Lol

Chris

That listing went real fast, it just came and went.

Their Eurofighter looks nice:

Screenshot_20221106_173126.jpg.8fb0e1c4859163b23299d711f382a77d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

That listing went real fast, it just came and went.

Their Eurofighter looks nice:

Screenshot_20221106_173126.jpg.8fb0e1c4859163b23299d711f382a77d.jpg

I have hated the lack of a convex set of nosecones for literally as long as I can remember.  Looks good otherwise, but that nose desperately needs a rebuild.

Edited by Chronocidal

16 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

WOW! I’ve always had a thing for the Eiffel Tower and that looks beautiful. But holy crap is that thing massive. I think LEGO is going a bit overboard on the sizes of some of these sets now. As much as I’d like that there’s just no way I could find anywhere to put it.

Chris

On 11/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Weird, at the same Brickveteran is taking orders for their Corsair, 

274314818_477956697329960_678129761465576726_n.jpg.0370c2779f19e4f261ffd81d3310f571.jpg

Brickmania has released two versions of their own Corsair rendition:

bkm2417-action-shot-for-web.jpg.d7fd2a604360b03ee2bd628011ef50f8.jpg

If I had to choose one, I'd have a hard time.  Until I take price into account, that is.

They both look ugly and chunky compared to the Cobi Bricks Corsairs.

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean, yeah, to be fair, they're going to look chunky if they don't mold unique pieces for half the plane. XD

Yeah, I was going to say the same….and even with the custom molds for the COBI I still think the Brickveteran Corsair looks a lot better. The COBI one looks like a Playmobile toy to me. To each their own though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

On 11/19/2022 at 10:10 PM, Chronocidal said:

I mean, yeah, to be fair, they're going to look chunky if they don't mold unique pieces for half the plane. XD

This, precisely.  You can't beat COBI's prices compared to those custom kits though.  I still have several of their kits stashed away for a rainy day to build with my boys.