Legos, anyone?

danth

The Optimus Prime review is up on Brothers Brick, the culprits for yesterday's early leak. The reviewer is a big TF fan who knows his stuff, which is refreshing compared to some of the other reviews I've read.

Quick Disclaimer: I've met a number of the Bros Brick members (both guys and gals) and they're a good lot w/ a great respect for The LEGO Group. They're one of the most popular LEGO blogs with a long-time relationship with LEGO, as well as major sponsors for BrickCon in Seattle. While I don't know the facts, per se, IMHO their too-early posting was a miscommunication, as, unlike a lot of other reviewers jockeying to get their reviews up first, they tend to very stringently observe TLG's wishes concerning all things LEGO over being first or getting the most views. 

OK, on to the set. For me, a lifelong LEGO fan since the tender age of six, and a Transformers fan since about twelve, the marriage of these two properties is by no hyperbole a dream come true. I've longed for LEGO Transformers for almost forty years, and it's a bit surreal that it's actually happening, but I'm elated that it finally happened within my lifetime. So, my bias is certainly overwhelming in this instance. On to the good stuff:

LEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-23-ebP1YS-450x800.jpgLEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-33-ay6eJs-640x360.jpgLEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-28-rg1jMj-640x360.jpg

So, IMHO, the set looks pretty darned good, all things considered. I've seen many an Optimus MOC over the years, some good, some ok, and some, well, you know. By that standard, this is a good showing. I'm actually impressed that it turned out this good as a first Transformer release. Lack of knees notwithstanding, it's pretty well articulated, especially the arms, transforms without partsforming, captures all of the design cues of our favorite red and blue Autobot leader, and while it hues closely to the G1 toy's design, it throws in some additional complexity to the transformation. It also presents well in truck mode, which in my experience, isn't the case in the vast majority of MOCs. So, on the whole, a great effort by LEGO. It's not without its flaws: the face looks odd, mostly I think, b/c of the bracket creating too much space between the eyes and the mask (which is a dedicated new piece made for this set)LEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-45-2SAh0l-640x360.jpg, the aforementioned lack of knees (which hopefully will lend themselves to modding), and the thin unsightly midsection (which harkens back to the G1 toy). Hopefully some modding can fix all of these, but even with the warts, I'm impressed by how well this turned out. 

So, as a transforming mecha MOC builder myself, parts are always of paramount interest to me when anything creature or mecha/robot related is released, and Optimus brings some awesome to the table:

These parts debuted in the Tallneck set in dark bley.LEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-12-LUsXOv-640x360.jpg

They're a godsend for their compact form. Prior to that, all we had were this 48169.pngand larger variations of the same. The only other alternative was this retired piece Lego Turntable 2 x 2 x 2 Side Facing Locking from the early 2000s. This new 1x2x 1 1/3 clicky-joint brick is, with no exaggeration, a game changer. Dare I say, hallelujah!

Another new part of note is this light bley Technic disc joint. LEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-Review-46-R5bi9J-640x360.jpg

This is the part I vehemently hoped and prayed for when this new beefier black rotation joint was introduced earlier this year, itself yet another godsend for mecha builders. Someone at LEGO loves us with this new spate of heavier duty joints (which I've been clamoring for for the last decade or so). Prayers answered. :)  I hope these things turn up in tons of sets, and I hope a few of them are other Transformers characters. 

If you didn't bother reading the review, one interesting tidbit concerning this set is that the LEGO designer, Joseph Patrick Kyde, once worked for Hasbro in the Transformers Brand. It doesn't get much closer to the source than that. I hope he'll be involved in bringing us more Cybertronians in LEGO form. I'm ready!

Yeah that mask piece is a nice new silver color for Optimus, and TLG is already releasing it in different colors in the LEGO Botanicals line. You can see it in orange in the succulents set. I’m curious to see where else it will pop up.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/adults-welcome/botanical-collection/succulents?icmp=TH-SHQL-Standard-Botanicals_Adv_Quicklinks_Succulents-TH-NO-J8WEATZEX7

Interesting faceplate piece, but I think I'm actually interested in how it looks like a natural progression of this style of piece into the 33 degree slope category.  Might be a little more curved on the edge though.
4258056.jpg

One thing I've been lamenting recently is that this particular piece is in an entirely isolated category of sloped elements.  We have lots of elements that taper in two directions at once, but the tapers are always in the same direction in the vertical axis, missing a fundamental possibility.

We have all of these..

1354990257_ss(2022-05-12at09_19.02).jpg.9b0254c87e25eb02a589df7282598625.jpg

When are we getting slopes that do this?  Something that gets smaller in one axis top-to-bottom, but wider in the other?

1012149209_ss(2022-05-12at09_19.11).jpg.dc6b4ffd49602f335ad9920964851c57.jpg

I'm not sure if anything like this is possible currently.  I've tried orienting slopes in all manner of directions with convoluted SNOT assemblies, and can't really come up with anything that works for this particular combination of angles without resorting to hinged plate assemblies, jamming wedge tiles together at odd angles to build the right shape.

Edit:  To make it a bit more clear what I'm thinking of, you could stack these to make this sort of shape.  Tried making these in the part designer, but not sure how to get the boolean operations working right to make this complete shape, since it keeps leaving odd fragments of parts.

1177762438_ss(2022-05-12at09_53.55).png.5ad466845ff7bc5d56e9fc440c24fea4.png1129587558_ss(2022-05-12at09_54.11).png.3ba92d066208f26f7cc62eb0e3584c38.png

Edited by Chronocidal

I’m torn on the Lego Optimus. It Looks really nice but I don’t have any attachment to the red and blue. I want it in black and teal. Which they probably never do.

Sure I could get the instructions ans build my own but some pieces might not be available in the correct color (like red chest windows) and I would rely on someone else to produce either a sticker sheet or custom print the pieces like the Decepticon logo.

It is not impossible but so inconvenient compared to buying a boy in a store. :mellow: 

Will look forward to building and messing with that one, definitely have been waiting for actual transforming sets for a long time.

I went back to the drawing board a few dozen times on that XL-15 model, and while I want to figure out some rear landing gear, I think I like where the design went.

1312214209_ss(2022-05-19at01_08.50).jpg.9dbd34cd47bec5a6128818b063d35a1b.jpg1170435279_ss(2022-05-19at01_12.18).jpg.e792411901c6d39da269ce3dfe957699.jpg

So.. so many angled plates. :lol:   That non-existent slope I mocked up would have been really handy in a few places here.  Also, no clue whether this would actually work in real life, since the studio collision detection is sketchy as all get out.

Edited by Chronocidal

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Will look forward to building and messing with that one, definitely have been waiting for actual transforming sets for a long time.

I went back to the drawing board a few dozen times on that XL-15 model, and while I want to figure out some rear landing gear, I think I like where the design went.

1312214209_ss(2022-05-19at01_08.50).jpg.9dbd34cd47bec5a6128818b063d35a1b.jpg1170435279_ss(2022-05-19at01_12.18).jpg.e792411901c6d39da269ce3dfe957699.jpg

So.. so many angled plates. :lol:   That non-existent slope I mocked up would have been really handy in a few places here.  Also, no clue whether this would actually work in real life, since the studio collision detection is sketchy as all get out.

Wow, man! looks great! I'll echo your sentiments concerning Studio's collision detection. The hinge tool sucks, too, but I digress.  Good job with said angles- not easy to do.  👍

The rumor mill has some good news for those of us waiting on the Classic LEGO 90th anniversary sets coming later this year. Not only are we getting a Castle set, but we could be getting a Space set that is a callback to the original Galaxy Explorer.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-space-497-galaxy-explorer-remake-90/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0OiBmUY-pCTXXdoaIAIbt9OgHpVPHphGIHauDTHxyJOEJR5jSlzWvf_mA

I hope the rumor sticks. I would love to see how TLG modernizes this set with today’s techniques.

YES PLEASE!!!  I have the old Galaxy Explorer from my childhood, built it again with my daughter a few years ago, what a great set - all I'm missing over all these years is that darn antenna.  I'd love to have a new revised version next to my old one to see what 40yrs of my life has gone through 😛

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

YES PLEASE!!!  I have the old Galaxy Explorer from my childhood, built it again with my daughter a few years ago, what a great set - all I'm missing over all these years is that darn antenna.  I'd love to have a new revised version next to my old one to see what 40yrs of my life has gone through 😛

Sweet.  Building sets together with another person (family or friend) can be a truly rewarding thing. B)) 

The first large space sets that I remember receiving as a kid were 6929 Starfleet Voyager and 6980 Galaxy Commander. Before that, I was gifted smaller LEGO space sets like the Mobile Ground Tracking Station, the Mobile Rocket Launcher, and the Radar Truck. I never had the Galaxy Explorer set, although I do remember seeing pictures of it in the 1982 LEGO Ideas magazine, and I still have vivid memories of trying to follow the alternate builds in the magazine using the bricks that I did own.

Of the smaller classic space sets, I think my favorite was 6824 Space Dart I. The spinning feature on the nose was fun to use while swooshing the ship around the house.

Edited by technoblue

Early LEGO Transformers 10302 Optimus Prime model revealed (brickfanatics.com) 

What we could have gotten compared to....

LEGO-10302-Optimus-SketchesSketches.jpeg

What we are getting:

LEGO-Transformers-10302-Optimus-Prime-fe

LEGO-10302-Optimus-Prime-lifestyle-3-featured.jpg

While the sketch was pretty good, it definitely left some room for improvement, and fortunately it was refined in both modes to the set we'll be getting in just a little over a week's time.  I'm very excited for this. My only lament is that we'll never get an analogous G1 Megatron/Walther P-38 to go along with it due to LEGO's no real-world weapons stance. That may also exclude a tank mode, unless they go with some sort of futuristic sci-fi gun or tank, harkening back to Classics Megatron's Nerf-like gun mode to circumvent US gun laws. In any case, I'm glad we're getting Prime, and I hope more brick-built Cybertronians follow.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, technoblue said:

The rumor mill has some good news for those of us waiting on the Classic LEGO 90th anniversary sets coming later this year. Not only are we getting a Castle set, but we could be getting a Space set that is a callback to the original Galaxy Explorer.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-space-497-galaxy-explorer-remake-90/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0OiBmUY-pCTXXdoaIAIbt9OgHpVPHphGIHauDTHxyJOEJR5jSlzWvf_mA

I hope the rumor sticks. I would love to see how TLG modernizes this set with today’s techniques.

This is truly some of the best news, if only just a rumor for now. And they couldn't have picked a better set to homage: the galaxy Explorer is iconic to Classic Space.

I only acquired the Galaxy Explorer as an adult, although I drooled over it a great deal as a kid, pouring longingly over the little toy brochures that came with each set, wishing and hoping.  While I did have a slew of smaller and medium sets and one or two big sets, the grand old Galaxy Explorer wasn't among them. Like many a Classic Space fan, those old sets hold a great deal of nostalgia for me; the aesthetics, the play features, and the sci-fi and quirky elements of those old sets ignited my imagination and desire to build, and still do.  I hope this rumor is true, I hope the thing becomes one of their best-sellers proving to LEGO that Classic Space is still just as popular as ever, and that their long reluctance to produce original space themes comes to an end. There's room in our hearts and on our shelves for something besides Star Wars.

That is quite the comparison between the early draft version of LEGO Optimus and what was eventually announced for retail. It’s also nice to be able to take a quick peek into different stages of the design process.

If TLG decides to release more Transformers, it will be interesting to see if they branch out away from G1. Like you say, @M'Kyuun, if they do something like that then making a transformable Megatron doesn’t break their own rules. If they stay within the confines of G1, we could get Bumblebee or maybe Soundwave.

Edited by technoblue

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

That is quite the comparison between the early draft version of LEGO Optimus and what was eventually announced for retail. It’s also nice to be able to take a quick peek into different stages of the design process.

If TLG decides to release more Transformers, it will be interesting to see if they branch out away from G1. Like you say, @M'Kyuun, if they do something like that then making a transformable Megatron doesn’t break their own rules. If they stay within the confines of G1, we could get Bumblebee or maybe Soundwave.

If they adhere to the no-real-world-weapons stance, then neither G1 Megatron nor the Seekers will be a possibility under that philosophy, which leaves a gaping void so far as a complete G1 collection of these goes, should they continue beyond Prime. I think they'd be foolish to just stop at Prime; Transformers is a cash cow license, and the idea that the sets will mirror the salient feature of the official Hasbro products, namely mechanical conversion, is a rarity among not only LEGO mecha sets, but also other licensed TF models and such. Hasbro & Takara like to keep the eponymous feature of Transformers to themselves, so it's pleasantly surprising that in this instance they relented. I'm not complaining; this is what I've longed for since 1984; well, actually, I'd like to see them shrink them down to minifig scale, but the fact that they're making them at all is enough for me.  I shan't complain, but just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

neither G1 Megatron nor the Seekers will be a possibility under that philosophy

I was thinking Starscream would be a good pick vs Megatron (literally a gun) for the next G1 Lego TF, but you're right, an F-15 Eagle is a weapon, isn't it. And not only is it still in use, it's apparently still in production (!) according to wikipedia. So it's even a "modern" weapon.

Then again Lego seems okay with bending the rules to make money, especially for licensed products. Maybe they'll decide an F-15 is fine for an +18 sci-fi set.

I hope they come up with some rationale because I really want a Lego Starscream.

4 minutes ago, danth said:

I was thinking Starscream would be a good pick vs Megatron (literally a gun) for the next G1 Lego TF, but you're right, an F-15 Eagle is a weapon, isn't it. And not only is it still in use, it's apparently still in production (!) according to wikipedia. So it's even a "modern" weapon.

Then again Lego seems okay with bending the rules to make money, especially for licensed products. Maybe they'll decide an F-15 is fine for an +18 sci-fi set.

I hope they come up with some rationale because I really want a Lego Starscream.

Lego was ok with releasing fighter-jets and classifying them something else (Like the Blue Power Jet F-35 lookalike).

So as long as it doesn’t say McDonnell Douglas F-15 on the box and doesn’t have realistic weapons it should be fine. I don’t think Prime is a licensed vehicle did he?

But they did cancel the rescue V-22 like 2 days before release.  Though, some claim that the “complaint” letter was a convenient out as the set had some serious problems apparently. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Chris

I think a transforming G1 Starscream could work, toy or toon with his characteristic blue and red accents.

I agree that he would probably not come with any ordnance for alt mode, though. We might only get brick built null rays for bot mode.

5 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Lego G1 Soundwave would be the one I’d love to see. I mean, the guys practically a brick in alt-mode anyway!

Truly. I can even see Optimus Prime's faceplate piece being reused for Soundwave.

The only way I see Seekers being done is if they take a similar tack as the Blue Power Jet Creator set, where it's similar but different enough from a RW jet to slip by LEGO's capricious 'no current war machine or weapon' rule. I'm down with that as long as they don't go too far astray with the jet mode.  As for Megatron, I feel they're either going to make him some sort of sci-fi tank, or something else entirely, if they decide to do him at all.  I'd so love to have a no-kidding G1 Megs w/ a Walther P-38 pistol mode, but that'll never happen.

Soundwave and his cassette minions would be cool- pretty challenging to make cassettes with LEGO that don't look like a chunk of decanned Spam, though- it just doesn't lend itself well to keeping the thin profile of a cassette.  Too bad Soundwave wasn't a VCR instead. 😉

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

But they did cancel the rescue V-22 like 2 days before release.  Though, some claim that the “complaint” letter was a convenient out as the set had some serious problems apparently. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Chris

They did, and supposedly it was due to overstressing of some small gears that were experiencing breakage under certain load conditions. I watched a vid or two of reviewers who received early copies of the set  (lucky, lucky bastards) and some of them experienced the breakage. Some didn't. I think it was one of those situations where just the proper conditions needed met before the stresses became too much. Alas, it got back to LEGO, as well as the small and insignificant protest based on its being a licensed Bell-Boeing product, and the fact that Bell-Boeing make combat machines for various US institutions.  I think the protest was a scapegoat as well. I wish they'd just fixed the issue and pressed on with pride.  As a huge fan of the Osprey, I was extremely excited for that set, and to be blindsided days away from release like that was jarring and dismaying. I think they could have handled it better, and still put the set out.

Yeah, I don't expect Starscream to ever happen, at least not in a recognizable form.  I'm kind of tempted to make one of my own though.  ^_^ 

I would have loved to have seen the Osprey, and see them fix it up, since it wouldn't even have been the first time LEGO released a set that was a dead-on look-alike for it.  I think the gear breakage was a combination of design and user-error though.  It had something to do with over-torqueing the system by engaging certain gear mechanisms while the motor was running too fast.  Might have been pretty avoidable if you knew what you were doing, but also probably more than they wanted to have to explain in the instructions.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, I don't expect Starscream to ever happen, at least not in a recognizable form.  I'm kind of tempted to make one of my own though.  ^_^ 

Look forward to seeing it when you're done. 😉

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I would have loved to have seen the Osprey, and see them fix it up, since it wouldn't even have been the first time LEGO released a set that was a dead-on look-alike for it.  I think the gear breakage was a combination of design and user-error though.  It had something to do with over-torqueing the system by engaging certain gear mechanisms while the motor was running too fast.  Might have been pretty avoidable if you knew what you were doing, but also probably more than they wanted to have to explain in the instructions.

Me too.  From announcement, I longed for that set, so it was painful when they suddenly announced its cancelation, especially when reviewers were already putting up vids.  But yeah, in normal ops, I think the model worked fine. I believe you're on-point with your description of the conditions necessary for over-torquing. However, I can also see it happening with frequency if people are switching functions on the fly with the motor running. I'm guilty of it myself with the beautiful 42025 Cargo Plane they released in 2014. I never had any issues, though beyond the motors being a little stressed. All they would need to do in these large sets where stresses can be too much for either the motors or structure is include a large warning in the instructions not to engage more than one function at a time or subsequent breakage may result. That absolves them of liability if some chucklehead, like myself, does engage more than one and breaks something. Easy fix, that. Or redesign the problem area(s) to withstand said stresses and release the improved set. Even better option.

Ugh.. those moments when you realize LEGO already makes the perfect piece for what you need..

1816967068_ss(2022-05-25at06_03.30).jpg.cae3a1f1820e9daba7f40977cb04d013.jpg

Only to realize they've never even made it in a solid color.

259024772_ss(2022-05-25at06_07.21).png.feb50a7e75dffa919b8e240efc38842b.png

Have to admit, I'm really tempted to just paint the piece.  Otherwise I'm just stuck with the oddball profile from the upside-down round tile if I don't want a stud sticking out the middle. :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ugh.. those moments when you realize LEGO already makes the perfect piece for what you need..

Have to admit, I'm really tempted to just paint the piece.  Otherwise I'm just stuck with the oddball profile from the upside-down round tile if I don't want a stud sticking out the middle. :huh: 

How about something like this instead?

30106.png.bb3424bf5f16bf67b06f895bbd44ce79.png

Lego ID #30106

I used it as the sensor ball found at the very front of AH-1Z gunships not too long ago.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

7 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

How about something like this instead?

30106.png.bb3424bf5f16bf67b06f895bbd44ce79.png

Lego ID #30106

I used it as the sensor ball found at the very front of AH-1Z gunships not too long ago.

See, this is what I get for thinking search functions are reliable.  I searched for "ball" and this never came up. :lol: 

Thanks, that actually should do the trick, it's the same exact size, and actually comes in gray.

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I wouldn't think less of you. LEGO applies paint to any number of their own bits, most notably in the Speed Champions sets where they spray the primary color on the side of a clear tile which is being used for a headlight.  I've seen pics of MOCs completely spray painted, so it's nothing new. I haven't painted any parts (yet), but I've certainly plastered them with custom stickers. I've also run into the wrong color on the right part dilemma, and it's frustrating. I came close to ordering a bunch and just painting them, but I relented.  I should've done it.

As for Bricklink, their search engine is the absolute worst. If there's any area in need of vast improvement, or complete replacement with something that's actually functional, that's it.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Yeah, there are tricks to getting the Bricklink search to actually function.  I learned early on, you always start with the shorter dimension when listing studs, or it just loses its mind. :lol:

On the plus side, at least things are consistent between that and the Studio program, so finding something there visually will usually give you the exact name to look up (if you don't feel like typing in serial numbers).

They need to take a few cues from other CAD software though, I'm building a long list of niggling things that it should probably do, but just doesn't.  Multiple drag/select boxes while holding CTRL is one of them, as well as box dragging for de-selecting from a current selection, or some sort of fix so parts don't suddenly zoom off fifty miles below the bottom of your model when you move them.

Far as stickers go, I really just avoid using them in general.  I never apply the ones that come with sets, because I hate locking the parts into a specific use.  I may order a bunch of spare marking tiles for this Shuttle though, so I can make a full set of nameplates and wing markings to swap in and out.

Edited by Chronocidal

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, there are tricks to getting the Bricklink search to actually function.  I learned early on, you always start with the shorter dimension when listing studs, or it just loses its mind. :lol:

On the plus side, at least things are consistent between that and the Studio program, so finding something there visually will usually give you the exact name to look up (if you don't feel like typing in serial numbers).

They need to take a few cues from other CAD software though, I'm building a long list of niggling things that it should probably do, but just doesn't.  Multiple drag/select boxes while holding CTRL is one of them, as well as box dragging for de-selecting from a current selection, or some sort of fix so parts don't suddenly zoom off fifty miles below the bottom of your model when you move them.

Far as stickers go, I really just avoid using them in general.  I never apply the ones that come with sets, because I hate locking the parts into a specific use.  I may order a bunch of spare marking tiles for this Shuttle though, so I can make a full set of nameplates and wing markings to swap in and out.

I do use stickers on many of my sets, but I buy them b/c I like the sets. With over 40 years of collecting, I have a pretty substantial collection. I also buy some sets for parts, so the stickers stay in the box or I put them in a folder I keep for that purpose. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Studio, leaning further towards the hate side. It lacks the user-friendliness and, IMHO, superior interface of LDD. I also preferred LDD's un-graduated hinge tool, as you could tweak it to make things fit in tight spots; with it's fixed points of rotation, Studio isn't as forgiving. Too, much like LDD, whose hinge alignment tool never really worked for me, Studio has the same issue where if multiple in-line hinges are used, I generally have to remove one to get the assembly to actuate, and even then it often skips or just won't rotate through the proper arc or even in the proper arc direction. It's absolute rubbish and it pisses me off beyond my poor ability to articulate. Since I mostly concentrate on building transformable mecha, that ability to hinge is imperative. I also have the same issue with parts that don't initially connect to just zoom off to wherever. Very frustrating.  But it's free, and that's why I put myself through the misery of using the damned thing. Too, I don't have a dedicated workspace to build with actual LEGO (my parts take up half my bedroom, ensconced in a huge Rubbermaid tub with boxes of LEGO and LEGO sets on top. I have to move a bunch of stuff every time I want to build anything, and then put it all back before bedtime. It's a pain, but I'm out of space in my house).  I do like that Studio is linked to Bricklink, though- pretty handy.

I fairly freely spray-paint silver pieces, because frankly Lego themselves aren't all that good/consistent at it.  No two silver-sprayed pieces are alike, and are often splotchy on the sides etc, with incomplete coverage. 

My silver-sprayed wheels etc are practically indistinguishable from LEGO's, except for often having more consistent coverage...   (Tamiya TS-30 is a great match, for sheen/color)

(buying 4 "real" silver wheels for $10 each vs buying white ones for $0.25 and spraying...).   And if you like semi trucks like I do...