Legos, anyone?

danth

41 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think my main question about this would be how likely it is that this would be a problem for anyone not putting the bricks in their mouth.  :p

If memory serves, that's the main route of contamination.

The general advice about those bricks is that they should be OK "for normal use".  However, if those vintage bricks are breaking and crumbling into little pieces, they should be disposed of.

Damn, the hype is very real.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/lego-delorean-is-back

I was thinking just a few weeks back when looking at my various UCS and Creator Expert vehicles that a proper DeLorean was a huge missing piece. I have the old Ideas set as well, it's a fun little old set, but not at all up to modern day standards, then I get into work this morning and see this absolutely glorious news! Well done LEGO, bought, probably two honestly, this set looks fantastic!

Three_Time_Machines.jpg?format=jpg&quality=80&width=700&dpr=1

Perfect set for some of that aftermarket lighting!!!  Just wished it was more silver pieces than just the wire chaseway across the back.

To be absolutely nit-picky does anyone think we can add an extra stud to the length between the A and B pillars to make the door a little longer?

Edited by wm cheng

I can't justify it, but I want this almost more than I want an actual time-travelling DeLorean...!

Kind of a shame the hoverboard doesn't have studs to place a figure on but I guess thats partly because of the sticker and partly because its scaled to the car, not a figure?

21 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I can't justify it, but I want this almost more than I want an actual time-travelling DeLorean...!

Kind of a shame the hoverboard doesn't have studs to place a figure on but I guess thats partly because of the sticker and partly because its scaled to the car, not a figure?

Yeah the hoverboard is in scale with the car not minifigs, the old IDEAS set was minifig scale and came with a board Marty could plug onto. 

22 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah the hoverboard is in scale with the car not minifigs, the old IDEAS set was minifig scale and came with a board Marty could plug onto. 

Thanks for confirming that. Would have been nice if they'd included something like the old board as well though.

Hold the phone... are these what I think they are?
131137180_ss(2022-03-18at02_49.10).jpg.45ecf94f418df04f9fceb6ff0655c8b3.jpg

I was thinking they were just normal 45 degree angled slopes, but they look like they're compound shapes that taper downward as well.

Have those been seen anywhere before?  I've realized recently that I'm pretty behind the curve learning about some newer elements.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hold the phone... are these what I think they are?
131137180_ss(2022-03-18at02_49.10).jpg.45ecf94f418df04f9fceb6ff0655c8b3.jpg

I was thinking they were just normal 45 degree angled slopes, but they look like they're compound shapes that taper downward as well.

Have those been seen anywhere before?  I've realized recently that I'm pretty behind the curve learning about some newer elements.

Good eye; I didn't even notice those, but yeah, they appear to be 4 stud wide versions of this. 92946.png

Useful, to be sure. Curious if there are any other new elements in there.  Speaking of new elements, I'm pretty certain there's a new joint brick coming in the upcoming Tallneck set, similar to PN 41533 41533.png. Horizon Forbidden West: Tallneck 76989 | Other | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US  If you zoom in where the front or back legs connect, there's a flat faced dark bley brick into which the shoulder/hip joints attach. Definitely something new or they brought this out of retirement. Either way, as a mech builder, it's good.

27 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Good eye; I didn't even notice those, but yeah, they appear to be 4 stud wide versions of this. 92946.png

Trick is, it's not just a stretched version of this though.  I'm fairly certain it's angled upwards one plate's thickness over the four-stud length.

I'm not honestly convinced that my eyes aren't just tricking me yet, but it looks like it slopes in two directions.  I would love to see more elements that do this, for when we're trying to construct large angled surfaces, and don't want to resort to mounting plates in wacky orientations. :p 

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Trick is, it's not just a stretched version of this though.  I'm fairly certain it's angled upwards one plate's thickness over the four-stud length.

I'm not honestly convinced that my eyes aren't just tricking me yet, but it looks like it slopes in two directions.  I would love to see more elements that do this, for when we're trying to construct large angled surfaces, and don't want to resort to mounting plates in wacky orientations. :p 

Dude! I took a second, harder look, and you're totally correct- those bits slope and seem to have a cutout. LEGO have been making a lot more useful bits like this over the past few years, and it's great to see.  Nice to see those huge profits going back into improving their product. 

Looking forward to getting this set. I passed on the Ideas set, mostly b/c of the inaccurate hood, but this looks amazing. Positively chomping at the bit for that Tallneck. Hope more Horizon game sets are coming.  Too, I'm anxious to see if the Optimus Prime rumor is true- man, I hope so. And I hope it's G1.😍

If they have the Transformers license, my total LEGO dream would be fulfilled if they got a Macross license as well.  That would complete the trifecta of my favorite things : LEGO, Transformers, and Macross.  Hopefully, for now, the Transformers thing proves true, and subsequently, it brings with it a spate of new joints that make creating transformable robots more practical.

Edited by M'Kyuun

One tip for Bricklink etc:

Dont forget to check Lego themselves.  32 axles?  I bought several for $2 each, when they were far more expensive anywhere on bricklink.  

Rare inverted slopes in orange?  Bought dozens cheap from Lego.com, when there was literally only a single seller at Bricklink wanting several dollars EACH.   

If it's a cheap common piece (black 1x1) Lego themselves will never be a good option---they rarely go below .11 for a piece, and never below .08 IIRC.     Buy a hundred for .03 each from a big seller.  

But anything that's .50 or more on bricklink----see what Lego wants.  

Lego has a narrow range that they sell parts for---never super-cheap, but also never ridiculously expensive.   

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Even more complicated than that:

Go about 5:30 in for a look at them:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Ynh_6tA9s

73FC8108-C735-4282-A4AF-72D90E530AC4.jpeg

Interesting, though unfortunately less useful than I was hoping for.  I rarely if ever find a use for those double-sided peak caps, but I would have loved to see that as a half-width shaping tile that I could stack side-by-side and front-to-back.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Interesting, though unfortunately less useful than I was hoping for.  I rarely if ever find a use for those double-sided peak caps, but I would have loved to see that as a half-width shaping tile that I could stack side-by-side and front-to-back.

Likewise. Would have preferred it be a cutout on one side. Being a double slope on an incline, and knowing few parts are designed for just a single use, I'm curious what else these are going to turn up in. I know the 90th anniversary set is going to be a significantly large castle homaging Classic Castle, so it's a fair bet those bits will be part of that.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

61F4B331-1D0C-4CEA-90FD-AD20EDD59D3A.jpeg.9967a01c387f0d83602e9d2c028b8e57.jpeg

I found some Legos from my childhood.

Always cool to find old toys, especially in good shape. I like that M-Tron MOC.:)

54 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

(...) I'm curious what else these are going to turn up in. (...)

My first thought upon seeing the brick shape was "roof ridge".  So, architectural/building sets?

Edit: apparently the technical name for what I'm referring to is "roof hip".  🤷‍♂️

Edited by sketchley

1 hour ago, sketchley said:

My first thought upon seeing the brick shape was "roof ridge".  So, architectural/building sets?

Edit: apparently the technical name for what I'm referring to is "roof hip".  🤷‍♂️

Definitely this, since it's essentially the exact same sort of part as has been available as a roof peak tile for decades.  What's so weird about this one is that they decided to give it such a subtle angle.

If it was intended to be used on a sloped roof, wouldn't it just make more sense to tilt the whole roof, and then build the roof out of existing elements?  The fact that this one exists makes me think they must have plans for other roof tile elements with a similar tilt, and a cutout along the top to match the angled edge of this one.

Edited by Chronocidal

11 hours ago, danth said:

That would make a cool SNOT wing edge on a UCS-style Classic Space set.

I was thinking along the same lines. :)

23 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Definitely this, since it's essentially the exact same sort of part as has been available as a roof peak tile for decades.  What's so weird about this one is that they decided to give it such a subtle angle.

If it was intended to be used on a sloped roof, wouldn't it just make more sense to tilt the whole roof, and then build the roof out of existing elements?  The fact that this one exists makes me think they must have plans for other roof tile elements with a similar tilt, and a cutout along the top to match the angled edge of this one.

It is odd, and really, it's an odd piece to use as a car fender, but it works. However, I doubt the fender usage was the primary reason for the part's development, as the non-inclined versions of this have indeed been used in architecture for some time. My guess is that was the primary driver for it, but it worked for the Delorean. Or else I'm totally backwards and the piece was developed for the Delorean with future uses in mind. Either way, it's a curiosity, and I hope we get an explanation of its development from LEGO at some point.

Parts arrived, and main assembly is complete, I just need to build a base to hold it now. ^_^ 

Been going over a few of the details and tweaking them to my liking, mostly redesigned the tail, and reworked the front landing gear to retract the correct direction.  I might still mess with the nose layers and see if I can't build in more of the details.  It's also pretty easy to swap out a couple of the wing plates to do the black leading edge for Columbia, but adjusting the tail at this scale is really tough.

1698937538_ss(2022-03-22at01_51.08).jpg.b721f3b4eb2742cb57640f8f25428b42.jpg13104575_ss(2022-03-22at01_50.54).jpg.532851b55aa38b67f979e0333f43540c.jpg

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Parts arrived, and main assembly is complete, I just need to build a base to hold it now. ^_^ 

Been going over a few of the details and tweaking them to my liking, mostly redesigned the tail, and reworked the front landing gear to retract the correct direction.  I might still mess with the nose layers and see if I can't build in more of the details.  It's also pretty easy to swap out a couple of the wing plates to do the black leading edge for Columbia, but adjusting the tail at this scale is really tough.

1698937538_ss(2022-03-22at01_51.08).jpg.b721f3b4eb2742cb57640f8f25428b42.jpg13104575_ss(2022-03-22at01_50.54).jpg.532851b55aa38b67f979e0333f43540c.jpg

That looks pretty dang good. I'd love to see it on the fuel tanks you made.

I love how instead of Lego actually releasing something new, they're just releasing more licensed stuff in different scales.

Already released 23 different X-wing sets? No problem, release a mini scale trench run!

Already produced 50+ different Star Wars pilot minifigs? No problem, make a large scale X Wing pilot helmet!

Already released 38 different Harry Potter sets with the title character included as a minifig? No problem, release a large-scale buildable Harry Potter "minifig"!

Like JHC can I get just one effin' non-NASA Space set?

1 hour ago, danth said:

Like JHC can I get just one effin' non-NASA Space set?

Unfortunately, probably not.  Really all speculation, but it doesn't look like they have any interest (legally allowed or otherwise) of releasing anything space-related besides the yearly rehash of old Star Wars sets, and the sporadic interest they show in real-life space exploration.

I'm not going to say I particularly mind the rehashed Star Wars ships though, since most of the time, they're gradual improvements over the previous iterations... Except for the X-Wing.  It still boggles my mind that the 18 inch X-Wing I made just before the official license hit is still better proportioned than any of the official iterations, in any scale.  They just cannot seem to get the concept of building things to the size of the parts, rather than picking a size and fudging it when something is too big or small. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

it doesn't look like they have any interest (legally allowed or otherwise) of releasing anything space-related besides the yearly rehash of old Star Wars sets, and the sporadic interest they show in real-life space exploration.

Truth! But hope springs eternal.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

They just cannot seem to get the concept of building things to the size of the parts, rather than picking a size and fudging it when something is too big or small. :rolleyes:

FWIW, that's apparently what they did with the UCS Star Destroyer apparently, the whole thing is sized around the dome element in the ventral hull.

15 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

FWIW, that's apparently what they did with the UCS Star Destroyer apparently, the whole thing is sized around the dome element in the ventral hull.

Now if they would only apply that logic to the X-Wing, and build it based on a reasonably sized cylinder that actually gives good proportions across the entire design.

Anywho, back to messing with the shuttle for a bit.  I'm not sure I have the parts in the right colors to do this, and the angles are still a little janky, but I think I like the overall look this gives from most angles.

477178529_ss(2022-03-23at09_16.35).jpg.f412117e64f20038d01c3c271fe0ac7c.jpg1300771115_ss(2022-03-23at09_16_16).jpg.507981a5340d7e53e7a22521c6889ab3.jpg95178992_ss(2022-03-23at09_16.02).jpg.fe0f01f8298656fe89abcb03f25c7f6f.jpg'

Edit: Tried a couple variations of the angled insert in the nose section, and I think I really like this one.
1641580500_ss(2022-03-23at09_51.13).jpg.3a9f1e673e3792879a6b9745d19c1508.jpg

Edit 2: Tried a few more options, and think I'm calling this a success. ^_^ 

1983768642_ss(2022-03-24at07_36.19).jpg.f60fd1268137475b132e7a275f6453b6.jpg

It's not as sturdy as the original, because I'm missing one key element with studs in more directions that would tie the nosecone into the side panels of the nose, but it still holds together just fine.  Maybe I'll order that part along with what I'll need to build the pad.

Biggest change was that I traded the microfig-scaled interior for the support structure for the new nose design, but I think it's a worthwhile trade

Edited by Chronocidal

22 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Now if they would only apply that logic to the X-Wing, and build it based on a reasonably sized cylinder that actually gives good proportions across the entire design.

Anywho, back to messing with the shuttle for a bit.  I'm not sure I have the parts in the right colors to do this, and the angles are still a little janky, but I think I like the overall look this gives from most angles.

477178529_ss(2022-03-23at09_16.35).jpg.f412117e64f20038d01c3c271fe0ac7c.jpg1300771115_ss(2022-03-23at09_16_16).jpg.507981a5340d7e53e7a22521c6889ab3.jpg95178992_ss(2022-03-23at09_16.02).jpg.fe0f01f8298656fe89abcb03f25c7f6f.jpg'

Edit: Tried a couple variations of the angled insert in the nose section, and I think I really like this one.
1641580500_ss(2022-03-23at09_51.13).jpg.3a9f1e673e3792879a6b9745d19c1508.jpg

Edit 2: Tried a few more options, and think I'm calling this a success. ^_^ 

1983768642_ss(2022-03-24at07_36.19).jpg.f60fd1268137475b132e7a275f6453b6.jpg

It's not as sturdy as the original, because I'm missing one key element with studs in more directions that would tie the nosecone into the side panels of the nose, but it still holds together just fine.  Maybe I'll order that part along with what I'll need to build the pad.

Biggest change was that I traded the microfig-scaled interior for the support structure for the new nose design, but I think it's a worthwhile trade

Looks great to me!