Legos, anyone?

danth

The Titanic set lives up to its name It's a cool set, but with limited space, and less interest for it than for other sets, like my glorious UCS AT-AT😍😍😍, I'm happy enjoying it vicariously.

LEGO's botanicals are some neat sets, as well. I've been thinking about getting the Bonsai Tree. Ironically, we recently had a friend offer us the real thing, but hers is a rather large specimen, and we just have nowhere to put it where it would get the sun it needs, nor the pruning attention. So, the LEGO version seems even more appealing.

Gotta pick up a few of those dk green Technic panels they used for leaves on the Bird of Paradise for a MOC I'm working on.

Have fun with the Titanic- gonna be pretty sweet when it's done!

18 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

The Titanic set lives up to its name It's a cool set, but with limited space, and less interest for it than for other sets, like my glorious UCS AT-AT😍😍😍, I'm happy enjoying it vicariously.

LEGO's botanicals are some neat sets, as well. I've been thinking about getting the Bonsai Tree. Ironically, we recently had a friend offer us the real thing, but hers is a rather large specimen, and we just have nowhere to put it where it would get the sun it needs, nor the pruning attention. So, the LEGO version seems even more appealing.

Gotta pick up a few of those dk green Technic panels they used for leaves on the Bird of Paradise for a MOC I'm working on.

Have fun with the Titanic- gonna be pretty sweet when it's done!

Yeah, she’s gonna be a big ol’ Lady. The cool thing is, as you likely know the ship can be separated into thirds but what wasn’t clear is that you can put each built section back into it’s respective box for storage. Just have to remove the masts which is simple. Smoke stacks and stands can stay on so I was very happy to see that it can be easily stored. I finished the middle section last night, so 2/3 are done.

9E047840-C314-4CFE-9073-5279B06AFF34.jpeg.239fc00f11a2b5ac761358d1b0b06ad4.jpeg

So far I have the 3 major Botanical releases; the flower Bouquet, Bonsai, and now the Bird of Paradise and I LOVE them. People don’t even realize the bouquet isn’t real until I point it out to them. They just think I have a nice flower display.😄

I feel like you only towards the AT AT and the Falcon. I’m not a big enough fan of the Walker to pluck down the money for it and while I do like the Falcon it is just SO BIG.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I love it when sets can be stored in their boxes with minimal teardown, as that's how 90% of my collection is stored. Takes up a lot of room, though, which has become the primary albatross concerning my hobbies.

We like what we like, and I hope Titanic, big lady that she is, brings a sense of fulfillment. I never would have dared imagine that LEGO would make stuff like Titanic as a kid, nor the Architectural stuff, so I applaud them for stretching beyond the limitations of their more child-targeted themes. Of course, LEGO has been making more mature sets for decades, starting with their Expert Builder sets in the late 70s, moving on into Technic and Model Team in the 80s and 90s.  I think, if not purposefully like today's adult-targeted sets, there was always the subconscious appeal of a lot of LEGO's more mature offerings early on that grabbed the attention of adults. Unfortunately, a lot of us kept our LEGO buying on the down-low for fear of ridicule. I did, but no more. I'm proud of my hobby, the wholesomeness and creativity that it offers. I wish I'd felt that way in my 20s.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This guy does some spectacular work. I bet he's also driving up the prices of black lego pieces!

Without clicking the link, I had a pretty good guess to whom you were referring. Indeed, Ekow does amazing work.

Not to derail or diminish the previous post, but I built the Chang'e Moon Cake Factory from the Monkie Kid theme yesterday, and not only was it a fun build, minus the numerous stickers, but I was smitten by the level of whimsy involved; it's pure LEGO goodness and imagination, and I was grinning through the whole build. I hope more stuff like this finds its way onto shelves. I also bought the City of Lanterns set, which looks like a scaled down version of the Ninjago City sets, which are some of the most fun sets I've ever built, and I've built thousands at this point. Good stuff!

See the source image

I agree, Sonic looks a little weird like he's wearing a tank top ...

sonic_flesh.png

It's the arms but it might be the Mandela Effect of me having thought all these years that Sonic's arms were blue! :o Knuckles arms are red so why not? Even in the movie reboot they made his arms blue (flesh colored human skin arms w/little blue hairs would have been too creepy and they were already having a hard time with the live-action version pre-release).

photoshopped looks a little better imo but now is incorrect ...

sonic_blue.png

47 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I agree, Sonic looks a little weird like he's wearing a tank top ...

Yup that's what it is, looks like a tank-top, like a mascot wearing a Sonic costume instead of being Sonic himself. It's a bit odd, your Photoshopped version looks better even if it's not "correct", the flesh colored arms are sort of horrifying. 

12 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Okay, I got another piece I'm trying to get more of that I cannot ID. It's the one circled in red:20220131_012226.jpg.ff05caa23d46a51a8079be809a0fb205.jpg

Wanna try for 2 for 2, Gabe? 

It's a Mega Bloks element, part number AM19617MM. There are four of them in set 6822 Call of Duty Heavy Armor Outpost, as an example. They also make a version with a shorter bar, part number AM17062AJW, 15 of which can be found in set CNG86 CoD Strike Fighter. I have the latter, and it's a pretty excellent set.

Manuals for Mega Bloks Call of Duty (manuall.co.uk)

Mega Bloks have a plethora of interesting and useful parts that I wish LEGO would make. They're very slowly making any number of them, but, like the indicated clip piece, there's still room for additions and improvements to LEGO's palette. Too, after handling MB's minifigs, with their superior articulation, I wish LEGO would consider doing likewise. Keep the iconic minifig for its nostalgic value, but develop a more modern and articulate minifig for use in their action-oriented sets. The minifig is such an anachronism, and its limitations are glaring by today's standards.

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Hope this helps!

Well shoot, that explains why I could not find it in Bricklink.  What's going on is that I am finally building a Brickmania SU-27 kit I got over a year ago, and I wanted to get more parts to change things up a bit.  Getting more of those clip arms would've been great, but I didn't know BM mixed in Mega Bloks pieces in their kits.  Eeenteresting.

Regardless, that was definitely a huge help, M'kyunn - many thanks for your input!

On 1/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Well shoot, that explains why I could not find it in Bricklink.  What's going on is that I am finally building a Brickmania SU-27 kit I got over a year ago, and I wanted to get more parts to change things up a bit.  Getting more of those clip arms would've been great, but I didn't know BM mixed in Mega Bloks pieces in their kits.  Eeenteresting.

Regardless, that was definitely a huge help, M'kyunn - many thanks for your input!

NP, glad to help. 

Honestly, I thought the Brickmania guys used solely LEGO as well. However, like I said, Mega makes a lot of very useful parts that don't exist in the LEGO palette, so I wouldn't blame an independent builder selling MOCs if he/she uses parts from other brands to make the end product better, as long as they call out which parts are by what company with P/Ns.

It's a shame there's no Bricklink analog for MB parts- I'd be tempted to do a little mixing in some cases.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

It's also piece made by BrickArms. It's a monopod for various minifig weapons made by BrickArms.

You can purchase them from the Brickmania webstore.

https://www.brickmania.com/brickarms-monopod/

Just spent a few days in Disneyland and California Adventure, grabbed the new UCS Tumbler/Batmobile and Sonic sets from the Downtown Disney LEGO store, I'm excited to start the Tumbler! I got the vintage or whatever cab set as a free gift as well, pretty neat. 

I finally completed Titanic. My God is it BIG. I knew the measurements and seen pictures, but it’s just something else to actually see it in front of you. Like the Imperial Star Destroyer I just couldn’t help but giggle at its sheer presence. As much as I love the Star Destroyer this set is my new favorite. I really hope Lego will build an updated Venator Class Star Destroyer like the new UCS that was made recently. Anyways, Titanic really was a beautiful ship. Much more elegant looking than the colossal floating buildings of today, IMO.

51AB874B-EB7A-4A7D-A349-D66B64B37A40.jpeg.ad2376939f70f9b1a2ad42d3fe3abf4b.jpeg

19 hours ago, sh9000 said:

39E3945D-6744-4385-8E9A-9A579AB593FB.jpeg.11b6bd8cfc3187101c1d1ac17bc5f621.jpeg

I haven't seen the Mandalorian (it's on my to-do list), but I've been a fan of the N-1's design since I first saw it in the theater back in '99. This stripped-down verion is cool, both for making the ship relevant beyond the Prequels, and, from a LEGO POV, for some of the techniques used to achieve what has long been a shape that's rather difficult to capture in LEGO. Those new low profile half arches are quite effective to that end and I should like to use them to a similar effect myself on a future MOC. I'm also happy to see a BD droid included, as that speaks to the possibility of sets from the Jedi: Fallen Order game. I've hoped for a Stinger Mantis set since playing the game; it's one of the more unique SW ships, certainly better than anything from the last trilogy of films. One may balk at Lucas' writing, but one thing he has a talent for is visuals, and the first six films in the SW saga definitely had their fill of exciting and interesting ships, mecha, and other assorted vehicles. 

The price to parts ratio of this little beastie is a bit less palatable: $60 for 412 pieces. Considering that this is all that comes in the box- with no side builds, no built-in conflict, it's a bit meager for the price. I want it, but I may wait a bit for it to be discounted a bit. The SW tax is strong with this one, but I'm patient.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:17 PM, Dobber said:

I finally completed Titanic. My God is it BIG. I knew the measurements and seen pictures, but it’s just something else to actually see it in front of you. Like the Imperial Star Destroyer I just couldn’t help but giggle at its sheer presence. As much as I love the Star Destroyer this set is my new favorite. I really hope Lego will build an updated Venator Class Star Destroyer like the new UCS that was made recently. Anyways, Titanic really was a beautiful ship. Much more elegant looking than the colossal floating buildings of today, IMO.

51AB874B-EB7A-4A7D-A349-D66B64B37A40.jpeg.ad2376939f70f9b1a2ad42d3fe3abf4b.jpeg

She was a beautiful ship, and it's a terrible shame that we remember her more for the tragedy than for the incredible engineering and building achievement she represented. It's a shame, too, that she and her sister ship, Britannic, both sunk, as to have had at least one of these marvelous ships surviving today, even as museums, would have been significant to historians and the curious.

I don't own this model, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it vicariously. Thing's huge, a fitting testament to her namesake.

Love those potholders on the back of the stove. :p

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Enjoying my kitchen eh? Lol 😀

Chris

There's something fascinating about lived in spaces that aren't your own; I think it comes down to how we're all more alike than not. This could be a kitchen in just about any country. 

13 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

Also, see if you can spot Godzilla!

I see him hanging out on top of the fridge. :)   I mean, where else would the King of the Monsters hang out? 😄  Digging the oh-so-subtle dentist's card there, too.  

So, Chris, I'm guessing, if your wife is like mine, the kitchen counter is merely a tolerated resting spot for your gargantuan LEGO set whilst seeking out a more suitable permanent residence. I assume you're keeping it together for display; that's a lot of work just to tear it back down. Where do you put something that, uh, Titanic😉

6 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

There's something fascinating about lived in spaces that aren't your own; I think it comes down to how we're all more alike than not. This could be a kitchen in just about any country. 

I see him hanging out on top of the fridge. :)   I mean, where else would the King of the Monsters hang out? 😄  Digging the oh-so-subtle dentist's card there, too.  

So, Chris, I'm guessing, if your wife is like mine, the kitchen counter is merely a tolerated resting spot for your gargantuan LEGO set whilst seeking out a more suitable permanent residence. I assume you're keeping it together for display; that's a lot of work just to tear it back down. Where do you put something that, uh, Titanic😉

There is actually a dinosaur up there too bowing to the king, you can BARELY make out the top of its head! Lol

Titanic is on my work bench in my basement. Just brought it up to show my daughter and take a picture of it. Also wanted to see how big it was on the table behind my couch. Nearly as long

8B3393CA-3FBA-4698-8533-556C1BF3B918.jpeg.74e972c1271eeb4d82c52fed26dd9a66.jpeg

you’ll notice the “in-scale” Lego Statue of Liberty just behind the bow, and the Lego Bouquet at the stern. Most people think it’s just a nice floral arrangement until I point out it’s actually Lego. :)  Makes a nice decorative piece while still being sort of playful or quirky.

Unfortunately, I divorced a few years ago….didn’t see it coming, so starting over in a new place allowed me to decorate how I want. Didn’t want to be all  “bachelor pad” looking so it’s very homey but I still put some of my stuff out while not letting it overwhelm the place. Lots of stuff either in my basement or in my bedroom though. People are generally surprised when they come over seeing how my place looks considering I’m a middle aged single man, but I want a home for both me and for me kids when they are here too. 🙂

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

There is actually a dinosaur up there too bowing to the king, you can BARELY make out the top of its head! Lol

Titanic is on my work bench in my basement. Just brought it up to show my daughter and take a picture of it. Also wanted to see how big it was on the table behind my couch. Nearly as long

8B3393CA-3FBA-4698-8533-556C1BF3B918.jpeg.74e972c1271eeb4d82c52fed26dd9a66.jpeg

you’ll notice the “in-scale” Lego Statue of Liberty just behind the bow, and the Lego Bouquet at the stern. Most people think it’s just a nice floral arrangement until I point out it’s actually Lego. :)  Makes a nice decorative piece while still being sort of playful or quirky.

Unfortunately, I divorced a few years ago….didn’t see it coming, so starting over in a new place allowed me to decorate how I want. Didn’t want to be all  “bachelor pad” looking so it’s very homey but I still put some of my stuff out while not letting it overwhelm the place. Lots of stuff either in my basement or in my bedroom though. People are generally surprised when they come over seeing how my place looks considering I’m a middle aged single man, but I want a home for both me and for me kids when they are here too. 🙂

Sorry to hear about the blindsided divorce part, but you've made a homey looking pad on your own. You could certainly do far worse than choosing LEGO for deco elements around the house. Now you just need the UCS Batwing hanging on a wall somewhere.  :)   Hope your kids are appreciably nerdy and think you're the coolest dad ever.  You've got legit cred with that decor.  Nodding approvingly.