Legos, anyone?

danth

36 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

A lockdown impulse buy finally arrived:

20210616_093147.thumb.jpg.c2630a9666c11b6339e4af87b85b25c5.jpg

The kit comes from Russia and took a solid month to arrive on my porch.  It's a rather handsome looking Abrams, so I gave this company a try.  I'll post some pics upon completion.

I have this kit too.  Haven't built it yet though. Would be interesting to compare it to Brickmania's Abrams design.

This build was quicker than I thought.

20210622_003318.thumb.jpg.6bba8752dbbd7657662ad7d6dc09c4da.jpg

20210622_003424.thumb.jpg.567d832a1a652e0e62b8dfee23009228.jpg

20210622_003505.thumb.jpg.6f6eb2d591c2cfd2fe59d7b393fa27f0.jpg

And a fun one at that.  If I had to guess, the tank is probably a little larger than 1/35 scale at around 11 inches long.  The instructions were clear and there were no missing pieces. The treads roll freely, but will only do so on a soft surface like carpet.  The hull is fairly solid save for the sloped front area panels which are on hinges.  The main turret can be finnicky to grasp due to the rear rack being made of rods each being held on to one point that can easily pivot.  Unfortunately, the turret cannot cleanly rotate a full 360 degrees since its front part cannot clear the rear upward slope on the hull.  What is not displayed on the box are two custom heavy machine guns that can be mounted on the turret. I've only mounted one as the other needs a differently oriented type of plate.  No minifig crew is provided, but the two opening hatches on the turret may be able to fit one minifig.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:41 AM, Vifam7 said:

I have this kit too.  Haven't built it yet though. Would be interesting to compare it to Brickmania's Abrams design.

BM's latest Abrams model looks like it has similar dimensions to this one, but the treads look narrower.

Started putting together the LEGO Land Rover today. That is a monstrously complex powertrain.

Unfortunately, it's also got quite a lot of friction, and it'll only let the thing roll when in higher gears, at the lowest gears it even skipped a tooth somewhere when I tried to roll it.

I guess that's the limit of what can be achieved without any actual friction reducing elements like bearings or grease.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This build was quicker than I thought.

20210622_003318.thumb.jpg.6bba8752dbbd7657662ad7d6dc09c4da.jpg

20210622_003424.thumb.jpg.567d832a1a652e0e62b8dfee23009228.jpg

20210622_003505.thumb.jpg.6f6eb2d591c2cfd2fe59d7b393fa27f0.jpg

And a fun one at that.  If I had to guess, the tank is probably a little larger than 1/35 scale at around 11 inches long.  The instructions were clear and there were no missing pieces. The treads roll freely, but will only do so on a soft surface like carpet.  The hull is fairly solid save for the sloped front area panels which are on hinges.  The main turret can be finnicky to grasp due to the rear rack being made of rods each being held on to one point that can easily pivot.  Unfortunately, the turret cannot cleanly rotate a full 360 degrees since its front part cannot clear the rear upward slope on the hull.  What is not displayed on the box are two custom heavy machine guns that can be mounted on the turret. I've only mounted one as the other needs a differently oriented type of plate.  No minifig crew is provided, but the two opening hatches on the turret may be able to fit one minifig.

BM's latest Abrams model looks like it has similar dimensions to this one, but the treads look narrower.

Wow that looks really cool! Does this merchant have a store? I really love some of these custom designs but so many are just for “instructions” and then you have to source parts which gets insanely expensive. Having a kit sounds so much better. 

Chris

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

Wow that looks really cool! Does this merchant have a store? I really love some of these custom designs but so many are just for “instructions” and then you have to source parts which gets insanely expensive. Having a kit sounds so much better. 

Chris

The kit is from Armorbrick out of Russia.  In general, their kits are cheaper than Brickmania's, but still pricey.  

On 6/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, Phyrox said:

If that's 11" overall, including barrel that sounds pretty spot on 1/35.

Cool, I bet if I put it next to my old 1/35 armor collection it wouldn't look too much out of place.

After looking at this model more thoroughly, I'm gonna add more pieces to reinforce the hull, and I'm still looking for a sorely needed minifig crew.  And maybe an in-scale lego Humvee is now in order... 

13 hours ago, sh9000 said:

65F3E30E-6147-464E-8B17-F2827C8A7390.thumb.jpeg.2e997bfb35597f13195a2d98af6c00b4.jpeg

F83325C1-F822-4FBC-85F6-0FE0C660C585.thumb.jpeg.380c6691b64ca88167d19c4099590397.jpeg

76987AF5-D4B7-4F60-A92E-B3D415F25DFE.thumb.jpeg.e630554390caefc13a6f8fbd0b4540be.jpeg

DF05DD0E-677C-4127-BF76-07DF29B5F335.thumb.jpeg.5620b405199a0d7bee65bf64ece29ddc.jpeg

DBEF7F5C-C827-47F6-B5B7-DE5AFDE94107.thumb.jpeg.f3a2d6ddbdcedcba32b166a065b01d2a.jpeg

Saw this cool Knight Rider set on Lego Ideas.  I would buy it if it was released.

So would I. That's incredibly well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Curse of the 4-stud diameter strikes again.. those launchers look like toothpicks. <_<

1922420643_ss(2021-07-16at02_20.26).jpg.23cff975b6f8a5ce48b592d84c9d4837.jpg

Maybe not too far off, but why can't they just develop a few more sizes of round elements to use?  They keep making these big sets, and never bothering to make the parts necessary to really nail the shapes.

My wallet is safe - never been a fan of any of the prequels but how could that beat out the medical frigate or tie bomber?!?!  Its not a very good rendition of this mech either, given its size I would have expected better accuracy.  

That Knight Rider is pretty good, it would be amazing to get a little flashy red back and forth light for the front of it!

I'm surprised we don't have a UCS T-70 X-Wing yet.  Disney sure seems to like merchandising the orange-accented ones especially.  (though I much prefer blue).  

Also it's been WAY too long since we got a UCS TIE of any kind. 

I decided to complete my „classics“ Lego Space collection (Futuron - Explorians). Started with a set that I had as a kid but got lost somehow.

First time buying used Lego. The bricks fit right into my own childhood ones in terms of quality. No missing or broken pieces and no yellowing. However I need to clean them after I disassemble the set again.

Bought also 6956 from the same seller.

822107B6-8595-47A3-A6DB-F9013718EB52.jpeg.4a2f2e99d63edfde46c948f6492df3eb.jpeg

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

I decided to complete my „classics“ Lego Space collection (Futuron - Explorians). Started with a set that I had as a kid but got lost somehow.

First time buying used Lego. The bricks fit right into my own childhood ones in terms of quality. No missing or broken pieces and no yellowing. However I need to clean them after I disassemble the set again.

Bought also 6956 from the same seller.

822107B6-8595-47A3-A6DB-F9013718EB52.jpeg.4a2f2e99d63edfde46c948f6492df3eb.jpeg

Ah, an oldie but goodie. Same story here: I had it as a kid, but parted it out to the four winds for MOCs. So I turned to Bricklink and found one in good condition a few years ago, along with a number of other Classic Space sets from the 70s-90s.  The set you got looks immaculate, so good for you. More often than not the canopies suffer the most, but that one looks pretty good. At least you can see through it.

For all their simplicity, there's something that's still captivating about these old sets. I think you could still present one to a kid and despite any media tie-in, they'd still get it, like we did when we were kids. It's extremely lamentable that LEGO has all but abandoned their organic space themes. Star Wars is cool and all, but there was something to be said for these home grown sets, as they were highly imaginative, and divorced from any narrative, let kids decide how things would  literally play out.  Aside from City, just about everything LEGO does now is tied to some form of media, so kids aren't as inclined to use their imaginations to fill in the blanks, as it were. To my mind, there's still room on the shelf for homegrown space as well as SW. TBH, my interest in SW has waned, and I'd welcome imaginative space sets, like Galaxy Squad or Space Police, more than the next iteration of the X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, etc, ad nauseum.  

That said, while I've little interest in the Republic Gunship, I am strongly anticipating the rumored UCS AT-AT, my all-time favorite SW vehicle, which will likely command a kingly ransom and boast a high parts count.  That'll be a day one purchase, as this the UCS set I've been hoping and praying for since 1999. I just hope they're able to give it working articulation and not make it a statue for stability reasons.<_< Looking at you, IDEAS Voltron.-_-

I'd definitely be interested in that Knight Rider set, too, if it gets produced; however, I have the sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't look nearly as good as the submission. Few of them do.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Ah, an oldie but goodie. Same story here: I had it as a kid, but parted it out to the four winds for MOCs. So I turned to Bricklink and found one in good condition a few years ago, along with a number of other Classic Space sets from the 70s-90s.  The set you got looks immaculate, so good for you. More often than not the canopies suffer the most, but that one looks pretty good. At least you can see through it.

For all their simplicity, there's something that's still captivating about these old sets. I think you could still present one to a kid and despite any media tie-in, they'd still get it, like we did when we were kids. It's extremely lamentable that LEGO has all but abandoned their organic space themes. Star Wars is cool and all, but there was something to be said for these home grown sets, as they were highly imaginative, and divorced from any narrative, let kids decide how things would  literally play out.  Aside from City, just about everything LEGO does now is tied to some form of media, so kids aren't as inclined to use their imaginations to fill in the blanks, as it were. To my mind, there's still room on the shelf for homegrown space as well as SW. TBH, my interest in SW has waned, and I'd welcome imaginative space sets, like Galaxy Squad or Space Police, more than the next iteration of the X-Wing, Millennium Falcon, etc, ad nauseum.  

That said, while I've little interest in the Republic Gunship, I am strongly anticipating the rumored UCS AT-AT, my all-time favorite SW vehicle, which will likely command a kingly ransom and boast a high parts count.  That'll be a day one purchase, as this the UCS set I've been hoping and praying for since 1999. I just hope they're able to give it working articulation and not make it a statue for stability reasons.<_< Looking at you, IDEAS Voltron.-_-

I'd definitely be interested in that Knight Rider set, too, if it gets produced; however, I have the sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't look nearly as good as the submission. Few of them do.

Since I only built modern Lego sets in the last couple of years the instructions of these old sets are a different beast. They are super thin, don’t show what pieces you need and there is no steps where only one brick is placed.

And they have product shots in the middle of them. If they weren’t there they would be even thinner.

Edited by Scyla

Growing up in the 70s and 80s, those instructions are what I was used to. I rarely look at the parts call-outs b/c I never developed the habit, and steps with one part seem superfluous to me. Surely kids are more capable builders than that. We had to be back in the primitive days of LEGO. Those old hand-drawn instructions had their charm, although I prefer the crisper CAD illustrated modern instructions.

5 hours ago, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

I rarely look at the parts call-outs b/c I never developed the habit

I have the same problem.  I'll start a build of a new set paying attention to the part callouts for the steps, and halfway through the build, I'm back on my old habit of just looking at what's different between the picture and my build and adding the pieces that are missing.