Legos, anyone?

danth

Last night was the season finale of LEGOmasters, and it was a good cap to an enjoyable season. The three finalist teams of Marc & Boone, Tyler & Amy, and Sam & Jessica are given 24 hours to build whatever they want, and the winning model will be showcased at LEGOLand New York.

Spoiler

Marc & Boone built an impressive model, complete with an interactive interface, of an Artopia, a trashed out building missing some walls to showcase every floor hosting a different set of minifigs indulging in a particular artform, be it cooking, sewing, woodworking, music, etc. On the outside of the building, minifgs are busy in comical and over the top ways, repainting the building, and the interactive part has several grey nondescript walls that, when the observer places a LEGO paintbrush into a particular can of paint, rotate to reveal various designs 'painted' on them. It was the largest of the three builds, and was rather impressive for all that it offered. Tyler & Amy chose to do a mythical layout featuring a large tower. At the top of the tower, a mother gryphon has her nest, and she flaps her wings in a protective manner against a large green lizard that has scaled the walls and threatens her hatchlings. It was a personal tie-in to the couple's impending parenthood. Sam & Jessica poured themselves into a large peacock whose surprised expression belies the fact that a monkey behind him has stolen a tail feather to adorn a hat that he's sewing at a little table behind the peacock's back. S&J used a lot of novel parts usage in the construction of the peacock's tail, and the little table was held up with really well done peeled bananas as the legs. At the halfway mark in the ep, the clock was stopped, and the families of all three finalists came in to see them, answer a few questions about their proud competitors, and just give the teams support. It was a nice candid moment with the families. Once the models were completed, the teams were once again backstage; when they emerge for final judging, the room is full of both family members and all the former contestants. Sam & Jessica were in third place, and the final winners were Tyler & Amy. They got a huge trophy, made of LEGO, of course, the title of LEGOMasters, $100,000, and their final model will be displayed at LEGOLand NY.   A good ending.

I'm glad that Tyler and Amy won, as from the beginning, they consistently produced incredible models , only falling into the bottom category once, and even that build was really good. I honestly wasn't as impressed with their tower compared to Marc & Boone's building and all the features it incorporated. M&B started off with a weaker concept, but after receiving feedback from Jamie and Amy, they opened their build up and, taking that feedback to heart, elevated their final model to something that showed who Marc and Boone are as people, as artists, and really imparted a lot of character and spectacle to their build. If this was a regular episode, I'd have to give it to them, as Tyler & Amy's gryphon , although it had a nice moving wing mechanic going on, just overall fell short of many of their previous builds, IMHO. Sam and Jessica made a nice model, which also really illustrated their artistic natures, with a bit of whimsy and a lot of color. It caught the eye, but it lacked moving parts, so I think that may have been the deciding factor for the judges to put it in the bottom. Taken as a whole experience, though, Tyler & Amy earned the the title, IMO, and I wish them continued success as they bring a new potential LEGO master into the world. I hope we'll see them back to cheer on the contestants for second season.

In LEGO news, LEGO has announced the next UCS set, and it will be the A-Wing Fighter.  I know there are probably a lot of folks cheering this, but the A-Wing never really stood out to me as particularly interesting, as far as ship designs go. I'm still holding out hope for a UCS AT-AT, an ETA-2 Interceptor, or a redo of the Imperial Lambda Shuttle. Two things of note concerning the A-Wing are a new cockpit canopy piece, and four 6x6 dishes in trans-yellow, which will make Classic Space builders happy- we'll take anything in trans-yellow, especially if it can be used as a canopy or window of some sort. Those things will likely sell out quickly on Bricklink.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Oof, I bet those trans yellow dishes will be super expensive and hard to get.

I'm pretty sick of Star Wars. The designs are 40 years old and the new movies suck. I just want it to die so they can bring back non-licensed Space.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, danth said:

Oof, I bet those trans yellow dishes will be super expensive and hard to get.

I'm pretty sick of Star Wars. The designs are 40 years old and the new movies suck. I just want it to die so they can bring back non-licensed Space.

I was thinking the same about those trans yellow dishes.

I'm kinda over Star Wars, too. That said, and I'm contradicting myself here, I 've seen neither the Mandalorian nor the last season of the Clone Wars cartoon, but I want to see both. The Clone Wars was really good, and the Mandalorian looks interesting from the little I've seen. I think the spin-off stories have become much more interesting than the major films. I like Force Awakens, but TLJ, and then JJ's cleanup effort in Rise of Skywalker just made me wish they'd leave that part of the universe alone. In the right hands, the offshoots are just done better. I thought Rebels was fantastic, and  that ending was sad and fulfilling all at once.  Just some excellent SW storytelling.  But, the OT has been done to death over the last 20+ years that LEGO has had the license, and being a sci-fi nerd growing up in the age of Classic Space, I yearn for their homegrown sci-fi space themes. For whatever reason, they just don't seem interested in doing it, although, IMHO, there's room on the shelves for both SW and an independent Space/sci-fi theme. 

10 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I was thinking the same about those trans yellow dishes.

I'm kinda over Star Wars, too. That said, and I'm contradicting myself here, I 've seen neither the Mandalorian nor the last season of the Clone Wars cartoon, but I want to see both. The Clone Wars was really good, and the Mandalorian looks interesting from the little I've seen. I think the spin-off stories have become much more interesting than the major films. I like Force Awakens, but TLJ, and then JJ's cleanup effort in Rise of Skywalker just made me wish they'd leave that part of the universe alone. In the right hands, the offshoots are just done better. I thought Rebels was fantastic, and  that ending was sad and fulfilling all at once.  Just some excellent SW storytelling.  But, the OT has been done to death over the last 20+ years that LEGO has had the license, and being a sci-fi nerd growing up in the age of Classic Space, I yearn for their homegrown sci-fi space themes. For whatever reason, they just don't seem interested in doing it, although, IMHO, there's room on the shelves for both SW and an independent Space/sci-fi theme. 

Mandalorian and Clone Wars has actually reinvigorated my love of Star Wars after the sequels....particularly The Last Jedi....smashed it. The first part of the Clone Wars finale is amazing! Everything I’ve loved about SW and what it COULD be.

Chris

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'm kinda over Star Wars, too. That said, and I'm contradicting myself here, I 've seen neither the Mandalorian nor the last season of the Clone Wars cartoon, but I want to see both. The Clone Wars was really good, and the Mandalorian looks interesting from the little I've seen. I think the spin-off stories have become much more interesting than the major films. I like Force Awakens, but TLJ, and then JJ's cleanup effort in Rise of Skywalker just made me wish they'd leave that part of the universe alone. In the right hands, the offshoots are just done better. I thought Rebels was fantastic, and  that ending was sad and fulfilling all at once. 

I haven't seen any of that stuff but I've only heard good things. Sadly the way to go seems to be avoiding the movies but watching the spin-offs.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

But, the OT has been done to death over the last 20+ years that LEGO has had the license, and being a sci-fi nerd growing up in the age of Classic Space, I yearn for their homegrown sci-fi space themes. For whatever reason, they just don't seem interested in doing it, although, IMHO, there's room on the shelves for both SW and an independent Space/sci-fi theme. 

Exactly! I like the idea of Classic-themed Creator sets. Space, Castle, and Pirates. There is a leaked photo of a 3-in-1 Creator Pirate ship. If that happens and does well, hopefully we start seeing more! I'm dying for a Space 3-in-1 set. If they do one every year it could be epic. Classic Space, then Blacktron, Ice Planet, etc!

Don't forget about IDEAS; there are a number of projects based on classic space themes. IMHO, many of them are worth supporting, as that's about the only avenue to getting a potential classic space set. In this case I'm referring to all space themes from '78 into the 90's. I've recently supported a number of sets in the hopes that lightning will strike a second time, since we already got the CS themed Exo-Suit through IDEAS. I bought five copies of it, and I'd likely buy more than one copy of any other CS themed set they ever released. The recently released Classic Pirate themed Barracuda Bay IDEAS set is very well done, and gives me hope that eventually a classic space themed set in the same vein will reach the 10K mark and see production. Digits crossed.

Disney is going to milk the Star Wars teat as long as they possibly can; it's a long-term investment for them. Too, even if the numbered movies have fizzled, the side stories are carrying the franchise in different directions by varying mediums and by different creative teams, with success. So, it's not going away anytime soon, but I don't think any of these side stories have had the same weightiness as the numbered films, as it concerns LEGO tie-ins. In time, we may see some fatigue effect sales, and hopefully that'll provide an opening for LEGO to consider doing some homegrown space stuff. I just hope it's within the next 20-30 years so I'm still around to enjoy it.

I'm actually a little sad about the A-Wing, because it looks to me like LEGO pulled several ideas from a MOC I've seen tons of pics of... and managed to actually make it look worse than the original somehow.  Probably because they cut down on the size so much.

546638371_ss(2020-04-20at06_04.14).jpg.4b25eb0ae1c7d3dc70a1ca1296a7a8be.jpg17134355426_c6e94cb7d8_b.jpg.f71dda80811f5d9faddeefcc4899c248.jpg

It's not terrible.. but it needs a rebuild/rework.  The profile on the LEGO website is just way too thick from the oversized canopy.  Really, the angled assembly of curved bricks building up the main body just winds up looking like a complete mess compared with the clean stacks of angled plates on the MOC version.

I'll probably wind up grabbing one either way, to round out my collection of OT UCS fighter designs, but I've got no qualms about redesigning it mostly from scratch using the parts, which is what I did for the UCS Y-Wing as well.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm actually a little sad about the A-Wing, because it looks to me like LEGO pulled several ideas from a MOC I've seen tons of pics of... and managed to actually make it look worse than the original somehow.  Probably because they cut down on the size so much.

546638371_ss(2020-04-20at06_04.14).jpg.4b25eb0ae1c7d3dc70a1ca1296a7a8be.jpg17134355426_c6e94cb7d8_b.jpg.f71dda80811f5d9faddeefcc4899c248.jpg

It's not terrible.. but it needs a rebuild/rework.  The profile on the LEGO website is just way too thick from the oversized canopy.  Really, the angled assembly of curved bricks building up the main body just winds up looking like a complete mess compared with the clean stacks of angled plates on the MOC version.

I'll probably wind up grabbing one either way, to round out my collection of OT UCS fighter designs, but I've got no qualms about redesigning it mostly from scratch using the parts, which is what I did for the UCS Y-Wing as well.

I feel the same way....any pictures or instructions on the upgraded Y? I’m very new to LEGO and don’t have a stockpile the way many do...but if an existing set can be reworked....

Chris

On 4/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, Dobber said:

I feel the same way....any pictures or instructions on the upgraded Y? I’m very new to LEGO and don’t have a stockpile the way many do...but if an existing set can be reworked....

Chris

Oh, heh, I mis-phrased that.. I picked up the Y-Wing with the intention of redesigning it, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Basically, while I wish I'd gotten an earlier Y-Wing with the full engine domes, the most recent design absolutely nailed the main fuselage.  It's basically a greeblie-by-greeblie reproduction of the studio model, based on a quick comparison with my Bandai 1/72 kits.  In fact, I love everything about it, save for the engine domes and the cockpit, which is just comically undersized and mis-proportioned.  You know there's a problem with the scale when the UCS version uses the same sized cockpit as the minifig version. <_< 

That A-Wing looks better than the Y-Wing, but still needs some work.  I'm honestly just a sucker for using stacked plates for subtle curves, and the A-Wing suffers from the same mess of mixed slopes that plagued the UCS Slave I.  It's better, but the disjointed sections don't blend well.  Either way, I'll pick one up for the majority of the parts, because that canopy is going to probably reach Millennium Falcon cockpit levels of rarity.  I'll just need to rebuild the leading edge structures.

I didn't bother with the last UCS Y-Wing, as I have the previous two, and the Y-Wing was always a 'meh' design to me. This thing though.:wub:

He even put the LDD instructions on his Flickr; I'm just too lazy to source the parts, but I think the model is sublime. 

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

That is HORRIBLY out of frame. I have no clue what it looks like, everything was done below the camera or too close.

Chris

It's not the video itself, the embedding broke it.  I had to break it out into a new window to see the whole frame, then it worked fine.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacie-11/24035746299/in/dateposted/

And, here's a link to the guy's Flickr.  His LDD instructions are available on the top-most picture of the model.

Like Chronocidal said, embedding the video above broke it, for whatever reason. My apologies.

Edited by M'Kyuun

It’s all good, I was wondering why someone would make a video like that! Lol 

Thanks for the picture....looks like a cross between a Y-wing and a Vulture Droid. Pretty cool.

Chris

If you don't mind me taking a u-turn back to classic space for a moment, I just found out about the orange space man today.

LEGO is including this little guy with the new edition of LEGO Minifigure A Visual HIstory which is due out in October.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO®-Minifigure-Visual-History-New/dp/1465497897

I've been on a nostalgia trip with classic space sets, myself lately. Since most of my other hobbies are on pause, I've been picking up some of the old sets that I missed. This week, I received both the FX-Star Patroller and the Cosmic Cruiser sets. They're used, but in very good condition, so I'm psyched to put them together.

Edited by technoblue
fixed the link

Classic Space is awesome. I just got copies of both of those last year. I had the FX Star Patroller as a kid, but it got parted out to the four winds for MOCs when I was still a teenager, so I felt it was time to get another for display and play. I never had the Cosmic Cruiser, but always wanted it, so I finally got one, and it's a simple but neat little ship. Even in their simplicity, there's a clean and lovely look to so many of those old sets.  As much as I love all the new parts and techniques that have come out over the years, those classic sets still make me happy.

I've been aware of the orange astrofig and the minifig book for some time now, but never thought to post it. I wish it was coming in a set instead of a book, similar to the green astrofigs in the IDEAS Exo-Suit, but I'll take them anyway I can get them. $40 for a minifig is a bit steep. Yet another missed opportunity to give us a modern CS set. :(

It's kind of a sneaky move, as, like me, a lot of AFOLs are going to buy this just for the minifig, with no interest in the book itself. I've lived the history of the minifig, and I have  thousands of the little buggers at this point, so I don't need a visual representation when I have the real things. 

Yes! Getting a new classic space minifig pack would have been so much better. I really enjoyed what they did with Benny's Space Squad pack, mixing the traditional minifig colors with the new pink one. I wish LEGO had given us a second pack too. For the second pack they could have used one standard fig (black, red, even a non-Benny blue) while using new colors for the rest. Getting a second team that included orange, purple, grey, or B))--ah, what could have been! I also would have have been down with LEGO revisiting the Futuron minifigs. Getting color updates to those little guys would have been a fun change up as well.

$40 is steep for a single minifig. With luck, that amazon price might adjust downward as we inch closer to October. I was born the year LEGO released the first wave of minifigs without arms so I'm thinking the book could be interesting to see how much I remember from my childhood. In any case, I did grow up eyeballing most of these little guys as well in LEGO catalogs and classic ideas books. 

Also, given how LEGO has been revisiting its older lines in Ideas (classic space, and now pirates), I'm hoping that they might see more mainstream sets. I know it's a fool's hoop, but LEGO Star Wars has also lost it's luster in my collection too. The upside to this is I have a lot of pieces saved away to use for my own creative ends.

Edited by technoblue

I agree that Star Wars is getting stale. There are no remarkable ship designs to come out of any of the last three movies, so they did toy/model makers no favors. Subsequently, the OT designs, and to a lesser degree, Prequel designs, just keep getting rehashed ad nauseum, and at this point I have enough X-Wings, Snowspeeders, Y-Wings, A-Wings, etc, etc to feel satisfied. There's a rumor that an AT-AT set might be coming out this summer, and being my favorite vehicle in SW, if it's well done, I'll get a copy or two.  Otherwise, my interest, and my SW LEGO purchases have dwindled.

It's a great time for LEGO to do their own sci-fi/ space line. The last one they did was Galaxy Squad in 2013. Nexo-Knights was discontinued last year, making Ninjago the only homegrown sci-fi/fantasy property, excluding the Elves sets, that LEGO has going currently. Something spacy would be most welcome. I wouldn't mind an updated Exo-Force, with better mecha designs, either.

23 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Here's a link to the video: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacie-11/24035746299/in/dateposted/

And, here's a link to the guy's Flickr.  His LDD instructions are available on the top-most picture of the model.

Has anyone been able to download the LDD instructions?  When I click that link I just get the message "Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for."  Not sure if its a problem at my end or the other end.

Carl

2 hours ago, danth said:

These are awesome. 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-creator-sommer-sets-2020/99115/

Space and Pirate CREATOR SETS!

The Space one has a minifig with the Classic Space logo. I think it could look a little more Sci Fi. But it does have an alien!

Those are fantastic, and I like the underwater sets that were teased too. 

2 hours ago, danth said:

These are awesome. 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-creator-sommer-sets-2020/99115/

Space and Pirate CREATOR SETS!

The Space one has a minifig with the Classic Space logo. I think it could look a little more Sci Fi. But it does have an alien!

First I've seen these. Some nice looking Creator sets, for sure. I'll definitely be getting that rover.  Man, you must have really good eyes, b/c I can't make out squat on that astrofig torso. I hope you're right though. :)  The rover looks pretty much like an amalgamation of designs, but still current or near future. I like the Vic Viper alternate build- always nice to see that design crop up in official sets. It's also a nod to the late Nate Nielson, AKA nnenn, a very prolific builder who popularized the ship with many of his builds.  Anyway, it's space, although if I had my druthers, I'd prefer a sci-fi theme rather than a one-off. Beggars can't be choosers. 

43 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

Has anyone been able to download the LDD instructions?  When I click that link I just get the message "Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for."  Not sure if its a problem at my end or the other end.

Carl

I tried the link to the same effect. Looks like he removed the link or it broke. Fortunately, I had it saved on my PC.

y-wing.lxf

While I've never bought any other LEGO clones beyond Mega Bloks, I'm always interested in new or interesting parts that these other companies make that LEGO  can't or won't. Just a cursory glance and I can see at least nine custom parts on this model. Some of those studless slopes and tiles. Yum!

The Hedwig buildable figure is tempting. I'm very curious to see how the action features work in person for one thing.

The White House looks good too, although I have been trying to stick to the city skyline LEGO Architecture sets. Trafalgar Square, the Statue of Liberty, and the Empire State Building almost got me to break that rule. I still might pick those up, actually. Need to ponder, ponder...

Edited by technoblue
words

I'm down for that Bat tractor-trailer, which echoes the trucks from previous Agents sets. Not a bad thing, IMO. There are a few mecha in the upcoming Ninjago line that appeal, especially the bull mech and the rhino mech (don't recall the set names offhand).  The Fire-Stone mech looks interesting, too. At first I thought maybe they finally made a new hip joint, but frustratingly, no; they're still using the old AT-AT leg joint. They made a new lightsaber hilt with an elongated center section that will fit in a 1x2 plate with clips, with a bar receptacle at either end. I've been wanting a part like that for a long time, so I'm glad they finally made it. Too, the Bat tractor-trailer comes with the 8x6 bubble canopy and the large windscreen in trans-yellow. That'll make Classic Space fans happy.

There's a Helicarrier playset coming, too, but it's pretty disappointing. The UCS Helicarrier, which I passed on, was done accurately, but at micro-scale, just didn't appeal. I was hoping for a Helicarrier done the same way the Star Wars capital ships are done, but this thing looks like a shoebox with wings attached. Screen accuracy was discarded in favor of a working mechanism to rotate the four fan blades, which sit well above the wings, rather than being enshrouded within, and look awkward. Not the best. There's a small ship that comes with it, but it sure doesn't look like a Quinjet. I would have loved a chibi Quinjet, especially after building the little TIE Fighters in the Death Star and Vader's Castle, and the sweet little Slave I in the Bespin Playset. Yeah, I'm bummed. I'll probably get it anyway, but there may needs be some modding involved to make it gooder.

I was watching Jang give his opinions on the sets, as he has a keen eye, and often points out things that I may have missed. Looking at the Bat Mobile Base (the tractor-trailer), he drew a nice allusion to the old Highwayman and Street Hawk shows, both of which I watched as a kid. I'm not sure if it was intentional on the part of the designers, but a case can be made at least for similarities to the Highwayman. Ah, the Eighties.:good:

23 hours ago, technoblue said:

Good eye on the Mobile Bat Base canopy and windscreen, M'Kyuun. Those will be fun parts to have on hand. The minifig selection looks robust for this set too.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm always on the lookout for trans-yellow. Sadly, they didn't follow suit with the canopy on the cockpit for the Bat-buggy thing that comes with the Joker trike. I initially thought the Bat-buggy was the Arkham Knight Batmobile, but sadly, upon closer inspection, it's not, darn it! I do like how they used the canopy piece, in black for the first time, as fenders and the engine cover at the rear. Great use of that part. It would have been a cooler feature if that lifted to reveal a rocket thruster in the back. Missed opportunity. Looking forward to getting both of these Bat-tastic sets. :D

Oh, and there are two additional capes for Batman in the Bat Mobile Base- the stock cape, a new 'flying cape' (looks like McGuiness' cape from Batman Beyond), and a cape where the bottom scallops curve to one side a little to give a 'swoosh' appearance. Nice to have those options after having the same basic cape since 2006. And, hopefully we'll get some Batman Beyond sets in the latter part of the year.

I have yet to buy anything from Cobi, but their ship kits (and tanks) have me SOOOOOOO tempted.  The quality appears to be quite good from what I can tell.  (I think their Tirpitz suffers immensely due to the MASSIVE stickers it has though, half the hull is covered in unprinted clear sticker material, their Bismarck is similar but less so).  But they have two different Iowa-class sets, with minimal stickers, that looks even nicer than their Bismarck-class sets.   

A bit less stickers, and more printing, would help. 

I never really had much interest in Cobi before, but the turn of the conversation made me curious. Looks like they've got the license to do Top Gun: Maverick sets. 

I didn't realize they were a Polish company; TBH, I figured they were Chinese, or Japanese. Regardless, they make some nice looking kits, and the prices are really reasonable, especially when looking at the prices on some LEGO stuff. If they ever did a YF-23 or a Horton 229, I think I'd bite.

Coming back around to LEGO, looks like the rumor was true; there's an AT-AT set coming this summer. It took them 20 years, but they finally made an AT-AT than can accommodate not only two drivers, but also Gen Veers, within the head. The legs are terribly skinny and disproportionate, though. Might have to mod those when I get a copy or three. :D

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I never really had much interest in Cobi before, but the turn of the conversation made me curious. Looks like they've got the license to do Top Gun: Maverick sets. 

I didn't realize they were a Polish company; TBH, I figured they were Chinese, or Japanese. Regardless, they make some nice looking kits, and the prices are really reasonable, especially when looking at the prices on some LEGO stuff. If they ever did a YF-23 or a Horton 229, I think I'd bite.

Coming back around to LEGO, looks like the rumor was true; there's an AT-AT set coming this summer. It took them 20 years, but they finally made an AT-AT than can accommodate not only two drivers, but also Gen Veers, within the head. The legs are terribly skinny and disproportionate, though. Might have to mod those when I get a copy or three. :D

Cobi’s Yamato and Missouri Battleships look tempting. A CV-6 Enterprise is coming too! Their B-17 doesn’t look too bad. I also see they are developing an AH-64. I wonder how their 1/200 SATURN V compairs to LEGO’s.

Chris