Legos, anyone?

danth

49 minutes ago, technoblue said:

:lol: I didn't do it.

They do look fantastic, don't they? I already have parts on the way for the AT-AT because I couldn't bring myself to pay the aftermarket price for the retired 75054 set. The Milano will be my next project. I figure if I can't wait, I'll pick up the small retail Milano since I need the minifigures anyway.

I'm not sure who built the AT-AT, but the UCS styled Milano was built by a well known and extremely talented AFOL named Tyler Clites. Why Tyler's not working for LEGO, I don't know, but he puts out an endless stream of great MOCs, much to the pleasure of us lesser builders (me, that is).  You should have bought the Milano set from the first GotG movie- it was a larger more accurate model. Prob cost a fortune on second market now- pretty typical these days. Alas, if you're entering the dangerously seductive world of MOCing, you will soon discover that LEGO can be rather taxing on the budget. I've been collecting since the early 70's, no dark ages for me, although my spending was pretty light throughout the 80's (birthdays and Christmas), the 90's (living on an Airman's budget, I had to be choosy), and early 2000's. Enter greater disposable cash flow and an enabler wife, and my collecting became rather voluminous through the mid 2000's. I've had to slow down a little since I retired, as I'm now a bum living on my pension/disability, and between Transformers, LEGO, Macross, and 3rd party Transformers, it becomes rather costly. Fortunately, Walmart has some decent sales on LEGO after about 6 months of shelf life, so Patience is my new best friend (except when he ain't, and my other bestie, Impulsive Buyer, takes the helm). Maybe it's old age, but my excitement for new sets isn't as fervent as it used to be, so generally I can hold out. Forgive my digression; I wish all the best to anyone delving into the LEGO hobby, prices be damned. Have fun, and play well!

Edited by M'Kyuun

ToysRus.com has the Lego Saturn V back in stock now! It's $10 above retail, because TRU can, and they suck, but it's far better then the near $200 it goes for on Ebay and Amazon. I grabbed mine along with the Lego Ecto 1 and 2 from the Ghostbusters reboot, and I'm having the Lego Simpsons house delivered today! I've been spending way too much on Lego lately, and I haven't budgeted for any of it, I'm having to cancel a number of things now to make up for my compulsive buying.

9 hours ago, Tking22 said:

ToysRus.com has the Lego Saturn V back in stock now! It's $10 above retail, because TRU can, and they suck, but it's far better then the near $200 it goes for on Ebay and Amazon. I grabbed mine along with the Lego Ecto 1 and 2 from the Ghostbusters reboot, and I'm having the Lego Simpsons house delivered today! I've been spending way too much on Lego lately, and I haven't budgeted for any of it, I'm having to cancel a number of things now to make up for my compulsive buying.

And it starts....

I think LEGO mixes addictive substances into their plastic. They've owned me since I was about 4 years old, no end in sight.

I'm glad ToysRus got more Saturn V stock in, I managed to nab one, but damn, their shipping department has the most idiotic crap heads working in it. I got my Saturn V and Ecto 1 and 2 delivered to work just a moment ago, and sure enough, zero packaging material in the box, and the box is roughly twice the size it should be. So I just had two Lego boxes bumping and tossing around inside the shipping box the whole way here, and of course, my corners are absolutely mangled. ToysRus is very lucky I'm not a big stickler for mint Lego boxes, or I would call and absolutely devastate whatever poor idiot answered. It's bad, but not too bad I guess. I'm sure others would feel differently, the corners are pretty screwed, I could call and probably make a case, but I'm lazy when it comes to these things so I'm not going to bother. Still though, buyer beware for ToysRus.com, if you want perfect boxes, look elsewhere, they really don't give a crap about your product.

I'm suprised they didn't just slap an address label on the box and post it. I've had stuff delivered like that. 

That way the delivery guys get to see what you ordered bash it arround as they don't care or are jealous and the dodgy one can decide which hedge to hide it in to pick up later.

1 hour ago, big F said:

I'm suprised they didn't just slap an address label on the box and post it. I've had stuff delivered like that. 

That way the delivery guys get to see what you ordered bash it arround as they don't care or are jealous and the dodgy one can decide which hedge to hide it in to pick up later.

They pulled this nonsense with my Power Rangers Legacy Titanus last year too, but I absolutely called them on that. They do suck at shipping, but they were the ONLY ones online that had the Saturn V at near retail, very unfortunate. At this point, like in this case, they are absolute last resort, it's pretty much guaranteed you will get a damaged box regardless of what you order from them online.

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Forget the Saturn V, give me the shuttle:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/50a447cc-0acb-4fff-b3c9-41739fed157c

Support it to make it a reality!  

It looks like it's basically the same scale as sets 10213 or 10231, but with more detail, so if it doesn't get made, you can fall back on trying to get one of those, or bricklink the parts for one.

That said, supported.

Holy cow, I'd been hoping someone would make a properly scaled Shuttle after all these years, and that one looks amazing.  Will definitely be F5ing that one if it makes it, it's so much better than the others they've made.

Honestly though, Lego really needs to get on top of the "round parts" situation.  We've needed better/more transitional stages for cylinders for as long as I can actually remember, because the standard 2x2 cone on top of the stubby 2x2 to 4x4 transition segment is an eyesore.

Edited by Chronocidal

Macsam, I was hoping you'd linger a little longer on that Classic Space display-love me some CS.  One thing that really captured my attention was the volume of Canadian flag builds; a very patriotic lot of builders there in Toronto. Nice little bit of mecha, with the VF-1, and that model of the super robot encased within the spaceship.

If you ever get an opportunity, I'd highly recommend coming to BrickCon in Seattle. It's generally the first weekend of October every year. It's definitely worth the trip if you enjoy looking at everything and anything made from LEGO. One of the most impressive aspects of the convention is the participation: we've had folks from Australia, South America, Sweden, and many other far flung locations around the world bring their LEGO models to display. Amazing how these little plastic bricks can unite people.

17 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Forget the Saturn V, give me the shuttle:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/50a447cc-0acb-4fff-b3c9-41739fed157c

Support it to make it a reality!  

Is the entire front end of the shuttle one specialized piece?  I don't recall a piece like that - I like the scale thing, but don't like large specialized pieces.  (I voted for it anyways though)

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Is the entire front end of the shuttle one specialized piece?  I don't recall a piece like that - I like the scale thing, but don't like large specialized pieces.  (I voted for it anyways though)

looks like the front end from this shuttle kit:

60080_alt1.jpg

I took a look at the Ideas shuttle, and , having 10213 from a few years back (in tribute to the orbiter program's retirement), I see little to improve on that set.  Indeed, the Ideas proposal incorporates the cockpit parts from the Spaceport set above, which gives it a smooth look. Honestly, though, one could acquire the Spaceport set on Bricklink, ebay, etc, and mod it to achieve a more robust and accurate looking shuttle, similar to the Ideas set. Just not feeling it with this one. 

I'm still hoping that Voltron will get the official treatment.

23 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Macsam, I was hoping you'd linger a little longer on that Classic Space display-love me some CS.  One thing that really captured my attention was the volume of Canadian flag builds; a very patriotic lot of builders there in Toronto. Nice little bit of mecha, with the VF-1, and that model of the super robot encased within the spaceship.

If you ever get an opportunity, I'd highly recommend coming to BrickCon in Seattle. It's generally the first weekend of October every year. It's definitely worth the trip if you enjoy looking at everything and anything made from LEGO. One of the most impressive aspects of the convention is the participation: we've had folks from Australia, South America, Sweden, and many other far flung locations around the world bring their LEGO models to display. Amazing how these little plastic bricks can unite people.

Thanks for letting me know about BrickCon Seattle.  I just watched an hour long video on youtube on Brickcon 2016 by Beyond the Brick.  Some fascinating creations.  The castles are just mind blowing.   I love that people make these videos to share with others.  It's really why I do it myself.  Tough part for me is having the three kids to follow around which prevents me from taking the lengthy shots.

I love BrickCon; it's usually the highlight of my year. It's more fun, I think, to attend as a participant, i.e. build something to display. If you ever get the chance to go, I'd highly recommend going as a participant, as it affords you the opportunity to view all the displays before and after public hours-lots of time for photos and vids. Moreover, you get a chance to talk to the folks who build all these amazing things, and potentially make a few friends along the way. I hope you get to experience it- it's cool.  

If you do go, look for the short bald white dude in jorts who spends way too much time at the mecha table- I'll be happy to meet ya.:lol:

Edited by M'Kyuun

16 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I took a look at the Ideas shuttle, and , having 10213 from a few years back (in tribute to the orbiter program's retirement), I see little to improve on that set.  Indeed, the Ideas proposal incorporates the cockpit parts from the Spaceport set above, which gives it a smooth look. Honestly, though, one could acquire the Spaceport set on Bricklink, ebay, etc, and mod it to achieve a more robust and accurate looking shuttle, similar to the Ideas set. Just not feeling it with this one. 

I think what does it for me with the Ideas shuttle over any of the others is just the proportions, and overall shape of it.  I'm still not a huge fan of the curvy plated tip to the tank, but it does more to build the tank up to the proper size, and looks far better to me than any of the existing sets ever has. 

It also feels more like a display model than the other sets do, which I'm perfectly fine with, since it'd probably be displayed next to the Saturn V set. :) 

Judging by the rate it's getting support though, I think the bigger hurdle will actually be getting Lego to approve another NASA-themed design so soon.

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I am absolutely in for one, I honestly never thought it would actually happen, but it did, and I voted for it and helped so I feel good. Didn't he also design an MMPR Megazord? I believe I voted on that too, and if it too gets approved, I will be grabbing one of those beasts as well, fantastic work!

Also voted for Voltron and hoped like hell it would get approved. TBH, I'm not a huge Voltron fan, but I like the mecha, and a project like this will hopefully inform other mecha designs down the road, licensed or not. I'm happy to say this will be my first Voltron figure, and it pleases me to no end that it's an Ideas set.  I wonder to what extent their license extends, as I wouldn't mind a LEGO version of Netflix's Voltron. It'd be nice if some new joints came about out of these larger mecha sets; the old Exo-Force clicky joints are decent, but quite limited in strength.

I've given thought to submitting my transforming cargo plane, but given its lackluster reception on Flickr,  MOCPages, and Deviantart, I'm reluctant to put forth the effort. The thought of seeing it on a shelf at TRU and B&N is warm and fuzzy, though. 

5983768ae1f34_100_2558resized.jpg.ae0e0788147602a003fe01f2b5957245.jpg5983763db8a42_100_2593resized.jpg.7c75ec2996a6d8e210755b86306008d2.jpg

25 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I've given thought to submitting my transforming cargo plane, but given its lackluster reception on Flickr,  MOCPages, and Deviantart, I'm reluctant to put forth the effort. The thought of seeing it on a shelf at TRU and B&N is warm and fuzzy, though. 

5983768ae1f34_100_2558resized.jpg.ae0e0788147602a003fe01f2b5957245.jpg5983763db8a42_100_2593resized.jpg.7c75ec2996a6d8e210755b86306008d2.jpg

I think it's great even if nobody else does.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

That thing is awesome! Among the very best of MOCs I've seen. 

Awesome MOC @M'Kyuun.

I hit the pause button on my Bricklink purchases after finishing up some MOCs and haven't really been tempted by any official sets in a while, but I think I might have to get me a Voltron when they come out.

I appreciate the kind words, fellas. Truly, it means a lot to me. 

Valk Hunter D- What does the 'OG' stand for? (I'm probably gonna face-palm when you tell me)

So, the new LEGO Ninjago Movie sets are out and at the top of my want list were Jay's Lightning Jet and Kai's Fire Mech. The Fire Mech is quite imposing by LEGO standards, and visually striking. Articulation is rather poor, however. The feet are on technic ball joints, and shored to prevent a lot of movement, making the ankle joints nigh pointless. There are no knees and no thigh swivels. The hips can rotate fore and aft, and can bend outwards to achieve an "A" stance. A leg can be bent one click ahead of the other and maintain stability. More than a click is beyond the ankle's ability to accommodate, and the thing topples. It's a bit disappointing, as by now, I'd expect LEGO designers to be able to incorporate a full range of leg articulation into their mecha models.  Gripe aside, it sure looks purty.  Jay's Lightning Jet is one of those sets that makes me love this hobby. In hand, it has more of a MOC feel than an official set, and makes for a sweet sci-fi vehicle. :wub:  It could have stood some better aft gear ( the gear is formed by a Technic handle which doubles as a hand grip to actuate it's spinning lightning engine feature), but it's a minor complaint on an otherwise excellent model.

Wow... I'm kind of flat out blown away that it made it!  That other approved set, the ship in a bottle, I might have to grab as well.  I didn't even know that many large transparent elements existed. :lol:

Next review is looking like it has a few fun ones as well.  Between the Bluesmobile and Red Arrows Hawk, it looks like some of those should be nice easy builds with not too much shelf space required.

So, I'm going to bump this back into the nostalgia bin for a moment.  Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I got a lot of Lego catalogues.  Being about 6-years old at the time, I could drool all I wanted, and I did get a few of the nice space sets, and the original airport, but when it came to the early Technics stuff, one particular set I always wanted was far out of my parents' price range, and probably beyond my ability to build.

propplane.jpg.ccc01ff77439aa484a9a5869f7a07f4a.jpg

From what I recall, this thing was around $50, which when it was released in 1988, was a whole lot of money.  By the time I was old enough to be saving that kind of cash for toys, this set had disappeared into the sunset.  I eventually got into the Technics line pretty heavily, and the next time a similar aircraft was released, it was the rather pitiful (by comparison) #8836 "Sky Ranger", which was literally about half the size, and functionality.

skyranger.jpg.feafc4a75af106d403ef76a36ff7c977.jpg

Still a fun set, and easier to play with due to the smaller size, but only one seat, no pilot, and the stick only moved the ailerons.  I also wound up disconnecting the propeller from the piston engine, because I wanted it to be free spinning, but I had a thing for spinny bits. :p

Fast forward.. oh... 25 years.  I never really bothered to look for that bigger set, thinking it would be a collectors item.  Well.. I checked eBay the other day.. full set, shiny near-pristine box, $70.  Not a bad markup for a kit nearly 30 years old.  Don't know if it has the inner box, and the instructions are a bit wrinkled, but it's in good shape, and should be arriving by next week.

Looking back, I probably have all the parts to make the thing anyway, but just being able to find it so easily on a whim really surprised me.  I never even realized that the stick is fully functional in pitch and roll, running both the ailerons and elevators.  And I don't think anything before or since that set has ever used that large three-bladed propeller.

Anyway, I'm just thrilled to finally fill that little gap in my collection.  I never really felt a desperate need for it, but I also never expected it to be that relatively easy to acquire.  They just don't make them like this anymore.