Legos, anyone?

danth

Or horde it for yourself and just get her some generic doll to lose interest in after 20 minutes. :p

Obviously, I don't have kids. I have LEGO, Transformers, Valkyries, and peaceful happiness instead. :lol:

On the nostalgia front, I finally caved and ordered an M-Tron Mega Core Magnetizer set from Bricklink, complete, in good condition, w/ the original instructions,box and insert for $125. All in all, not a bad price for a vintage well-kept set of this size with the box. The box is torn, I guess, but that's why tape was invented. I've wanted this set ever since it came out in '90, and I recently made a friend who has 2 copies of it in his LEGO room. Seeing the awesomeness of the thing in person was the final nudge I needed to commit. Chomping at the bit for my invoice.

I recently snagged on of those MIB on eBay for a pretty sweet price. Low enough that I won't feel bad building it.

I was just talking to a guy on Bricklink from whom I bought a Solar Snooper and I mentioned the Megacore Magnetizer. He replied with this.post-1886-0-20924800-1397531878_thumb.jpeg

He said he had five of them and one on the way.

Have you seen the builds of the Megacore Magnetizer in other space themes like Class Space, Futuron, Blacktron, and Ice Planet? They're friggin' sweet. Here's one in Spyrius colors.

Wow...that's a lot of one set.

Yep, I've seen the varied space theme Magnetizers, and they are very cool. I've seen that in a number of different space sets, where a model from one theme is rebuilt in the style of another.

The Solar Snooper was always one of my favorite sets, and is one of only a couple in my collection that never got cannibalized. I still like to pull it out every few years and rebuild it, test it's rolling parameters, inspect the potential zero-G capabilities, all out of purely scientific, tactile, and observational motivations. Even the zooming sounds I produce vocally are to challenge the plastic's integrity when bombarded by sound waves. B))

Or horde it for yourself and just get her some generic doll to lose interest in after 20 minutes. :p

Obviously, I don't have kids. I have LEGO, Transformers, Valkyries, and peaceful happiness instead. :lol:

Yes, peace has gone out the window, but they're cool most of the time.

My girl's not a doll-lover. She's got a basket of cuddly friends, human and non, but only 2 or 3 birds get any regular attention.

I think she'll be stoked for the Cuckoo Cloud Palace, I still catch her singing Everything is Awesome, or some variation, now & then. (Everything is Stinky! during bathroom time)

I'll just be clear: this is from me, not some damn bunny.

* She's 4, for context.

Geez, I can't wait 'til this comes out on DVD. My wife is also bummed that she didn't get to go with us.

Edited by Kelsain

Kids come up with some funny stuff, and sometimes remarkable. A friend has a 13 year old daughter who built a working candy dispenser that uses a simple slide to input a nickel. When the slide is pushed in, her machine takes the nickel and dispenses a gobstopper. It's small and can only hold a few gobstoppers, but the mechanism can be used continuously just by moving the little coin slide in and out. She even put a translucent red tile on the slide to indicate the end of travel. I asked her about the Friends sets; not for her. :D Needless to say, I was impressed by her ingenuity.

I'm gonna have to sing, "Everything is stinky" next time my wife is using the facility. Love is bliss.

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 2 weeks later...

One of LEGO's best sets. I wish they made many more sets in this vein.

As an added bonus, there is a sticker on the Viper fighter with the word NNENN with a snake(viper) printed on it. It's a tribute to the late Nate Nielson, an extraordinary and prolific builder who popularized the Vic Viper throughout the adult LEGO fan community. Unfortunately, he was involved in a car accident and passed away. Members of the fan community have continued to keep his Flickr account open, showcasing his many models, as well as holding the Novvember Viper building contest every year as a tribute to his memory and work.

As for my own recent LEGO additions, I finally obtained a Mega Core Magnetizer, and I must say it is an impressive set in all respects. I also have a copy of the Blacktron Message Intercept Base coming from the same gentleman. Space aside, I bought my first official Architecture set, the Eiffel Tower. The model is one of the most impressive I've seen in this series, and the box art really sells it...just beautiful. It's a nice little build that captures its subject sublimely, and is unmistakable near or far.

I recently snagged on of those MIB on eBay for a pretty sweet price. Low enough that I won't feel bad building it.

I was just talking to a guy on Bricklink from whom I bought a Solar Snooper and I mentioned the Megacore Magnetizer. He replied with this.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

He said he had five of them and one on the way.

Have you seen the builds of the Megacore Magnetizer in other space themes like Class Space, Futuron, Blacktron, and Ice Planet? They're friggin' sweet. Here's one in Spyrius colors.

Dude... the Magnetizer is one of the best lego sets ever made, hands down. I still have the one I got waaaay back in 4th grade lol

post-25-0-45569000-1398955540_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine has 3 Magnetizers, 2 copies of all the other M:Tron sets, and a small army of M:Tron figs, plus enough parts to build a fourth Magnetizer if he wanted. I'm pretty happy with my one Magnetizer..I've wanted one for a long time, and recently got it at a good price. I concur it is one of the all-time best sets.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to be spending mucha bucks after the 1st. Ghostbusters, 2 final Lego Movie sets, Guardians of the Galaxy and the summer star wars sets!

2 kits I've put together the last two weeks.

Captain America and the Hydra vehicle. Pretty cool little kit!

ZXUGwj1.jpg

Republic gunship

Kpx5qMI.jpg

jKRsY0N.jpg

This is a little motorcycle hover bike that gets stored in the back.

00JZNJJ.jpg

aonge0A.jpg

Only issue is I need more clone troopers to fit in all the gun turrets. It only comes with 2 and has 6 seats plus a lot of room inside!

I couldn't resist picking that set up recently, really love the variety of parts in there! The stacks of slopes that make up the main body are the main reason I got it, but the entire set is a huge improvement over the first version they made years back. That one didn't even have cockpits on the wings, they were just the gun bubbles over nothing. :p

That thing is just flat out amazing.. roughly twice the size of the UCS star destroyer from years back, but at like 1000x the complexity. Th fact that he got it to hold together on its own is a massive achievement itself.

I've been anticipating Benny's ship by building up a couple sets, just did the giant Imperial Shuttle last night.. my fingers hurt. Never seen that many 1x1 plates in a single set before, and they're mostly used to stack the connection blocks for the wings and tail.

The set itself is beautiful (and a huge supply of white plates), but I'm planning to rebuild the nose with stacked plates instead of the slopes, and I might need to track down some different pieces to rebuild the engine exhaust section.. they didn't make it wide or tall enough, and it kinda sticks out.

Wow!!! That's amazing (epecially with the SNOT method too!)

My wife and daughter got me Benny's spaceship for Father's day (but they are sold out -boo!) but I might have to break out my Galaxy Explorer too to get started.

• 1 month later...

It's a good year for Classic Space fans. LEGO Ideas (Cuusoo) is producing an Exo-Suit based on Peter Reid's popular design, with two green space figs. It's slated for an early August release. https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/14577531012/in/photostream/

• 3 weeks later...

The new sets aren't really doing it for me, my most recent purchase was Benny's spaceship (spaceship, SPACESHIP). This was allowed as my GF loved the Lego movie so she 'helped' me build it.

Star Wars wise I tend to go for the UCS sets only now but the sandcrawler was really uninspiring. There is rumoured to be a UCS Slave 1 coming later this year (Boba Fett version thankfully) but that's still unconfirmed.

My fingers are crossed for another UCS Millennium Falcon to tie in with Episode 7.

*snip*

My fingers are crossed for another UCS Millennium Falcon to tie in with Episode 7.

I second that. The after market prices for the old one are too damn high. I wrote the Lego customer service an email once asking about a new UCS Falcon but they never wrote back. :(

The new B-Wing seems inferior in every way to the old one. That is odd among SW LEGO sets. There may be some trade-offs, but usually new ones are better overall than the predecessor. (the new ISD is certainly a mixed bag, but there's definitely an apparent increase in stability/features etc)

The new sets aren't really doing it for me, my most recent purchase was Benny's spaceship (spaceship, SPACESHIP). This was allowed as my GF loved the Lego movie so she 'helped' me build it.

Star Wars wise I tend to go for the UCS sets only now but the sandcrawler was really uninspiring. There is rumoured to be a UCS Slave 1 coming later this year (Boba Fett version thankfully) but that's still unconfirmed.

I second that. The after market prices for the old one are too damn high. I wrote the Lego customer service an email once asking about a new UCS Falcon but they never wrote back. :(

DEFINITELY... I'll third that! I just saw a built up UCS Falcon at a local Brickfrete show and it was amazing, can't wait till they revisit that one just like the new UCS X-Wing.

• 4 weeks later...