New to 3D modeling

Jasonc

OK, so after seeing the possibilities of 3D modeling through a MW member here, I decided to give it a shot. I got a crash course in basic 3D modeling, and decided to jump into in mostly for making toy accessories and all that. Anyways, I've been working with this program for about a week, and I decided to make some missiles, both real world, and from Macross. I made these 3 wing attached weapons: the Paveway II 2000lb bomb, the jamming pod featured on the VEA-1 Platypus, and the MPBMS multi-missile launcher from Macross Frontier. For you 3D modelers, your comments are always welcome, let me know what you think. I'm also putting them up for sale, and created an interest thread for them. It's up in the for sale section, or you can just click on my signature. Anyways, enjoy. I'm working on more this week, too, so I hope to have pics of more.

post-582-0-38686500-1318215754_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-71804500-1318215765_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-58907000-1318215781_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-15582900-1318215797_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-97945600-1318215810_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-57525800-1318215823_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-40901900-1318215835_thumb.jpg

Looking good, so far. What are you using to do your modeling?

Solidworks 2011. I've tried Autodesk 123D, but I have to play with it more to get a more firm grasp on it. All the same, since I'm working with Solidworks now, I might as well streamline what I want to do with this, then figure if the other one is easier or not. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the results, and will be getting these prototyped, cleaned, and will be part of the custom valks I do with the blank 1/60 Yamato kits.

Nice work there Jason let me know if you want some models to pull apart and play with. I can send the lot I have over so you can check them out.

Thanks, buddy, been going through the online tutorials for some more difficult processes, and anything you got would be cool. BTW, I started work on the prototype GU-11 gunpod in 1/60 scale. It's the gun that is on the front cover of the Shoji Kawamori Design Works book. Should be done hopefully saturday, and I sent these pieces in to get printed. Should get them next week or early week after.

Edited by Jasonc

Nice work Jasonc so far , just be warned with CAD models you will have convert to polygon models later to be able to add textures ....

Thanks for the info. I was reading up on some of this, as I wanted to possibly texture it. I'm not much into creating these for any animation yet. For now, being able to create these, then get a toy made is very exciting. If I get asked to help out with something, I've been putting these good bits of knowledge away, so I do thank you for that information. I hope to be able to enhance these someday, and good textures would definitely be the path. :)

You know, I kind of have to ask. I have a Robotech Toynami Ben Dixon VF-1A that is missing its gunpod. I contacted Toynami about a replacement and they never returned my e-mail. Is there a possibility of making a replacement pod using this program and caster? I think the model is 1/55, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

You know, I kind of have to ask. I have a Robotech Toynami Ben Dixon VF-1A that is missing its gunpod. I contacted Toynami about a replacement and they never returned my e-mail. Is there a possibility of making a replacement pod using this program and caster? I think the model is 1/55, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Yeah, it's definitely possible to do. To make it collapsible would take more time, but it's possible. Even better though, I may have one somewhere in my collection. I know I dismantled a couple beat up MPCs several years ago, and I think the parts are in some box either here at my place, at my mom's house, or at my in-law's house. Was going to keep it for a custom, but I can sell it to you if you're interested. PM me.

Just be warned, if you ever plan to move into fancy texturing/animation, things might get interesting. You can convert them to polygons, but the conversion from industrial CAD software to something like 3DS Max, Maya, etc. can be a tough one, and might require you to rebuild some or all of the model, especially if you plan on texturing and animating things.

It might not be so bad for you, but I can say that you'll probably have an easier time going from CAD to polygons than the other way around. I had to convert an aircraft model from polygons to CAD format once, and the only way to get the model in there was to import each individual polygon as a separate surface object, assign it a thickness, and then eventually re-weld the pieces together. It was ugly. :lol:

I had to convert an aircraft model from polygons to CAD format once, and the only way to get the model in there was to import each individual polygon as a separate surface object, assign it a thickness, and then eventually re-weld the pieces together.

Ohhh GAWWWDDD. That sounds like the worst experience ever*. I woulda just started over again.

*note: I mean the worst software to software conversion issue. It's probably less painful than a hot poker in the eye.

Just be warned, if you ever plan to move into fancy texturing/animation, things might get interesting. You can convert them to polygons, but the conversion from industrial CAD software to something like 3DS Max, Maya, etc. can be a tough one, and might require you to rebuild some or all of the model, especially if you plan on texturing and animating things.

It might not be so bad for you, but I can say that you'll probably have an easier time going from CAD to polygons than the other way around. I had to convert an aircraft model from polygons to CAD format once, and the only way to get the model in there was to import each individual polygon as a separate surface object, assign it a thickness, and then eventually re-weld the pieces together. It was ugly. :lol:

Yeah, not looking forward to horror stories like that. I'm sure I'll start picking it up pretty soon, and I'll probably open up a whole new world.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest project. I'm thinning the insides of it out now, and going to print this kit. Should get it in a couple weeks. I'm starting to make decals for it as well. Made it in 1/60 to go with the other Valks I have.

post-582-0-17531400-1320462806_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-29663200-1320462819_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-77394300-1320462831_thumb.jpg

Oh snap, I would love to see the conversion process work out for that recovery vehicle, because we could use a few of those in Aria.

If you would like, I can send you the file, and if you want, maybe you or someone can put the pieces together, and do all the converting for that. I haven't tried doing any of that, and it's in .stl file format. Shoot me a pm.

How strong is the plastic? Would be possible to make a transformable valkyrie toy from a 3d model?

It's possible to make anything from these programs. Most of the work is in measuring and making things fit into place. Once an object is created, say for example, a box, it is solid. It is the creator that determines how thick you want the material to be. In this design, I'm going to make it 1mm-1.5mm thick, which is at, or above standard from the Yamato toys I've measured. Since some parts are a bit thin by nature, I'll bring those down to about .7 mm, which is still in range.

Finally got prototypes of the stuff I made. The gun looks great, and fits in hand, as well as fits in fighter mode. Didn't take a pic of it in fighter mode, but enjoy. Any comments are welcome, even if you wanna say it sucks, LOL.

post-582-0-11702400-1320972287_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-53218200-1320972299_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-53772700-1320972317_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-25197000-1320972329_thumb.jpg

That's such a horrible color! ;)

Is this an incomplete model? I am asking because I notice the handle and trigger are square when they should be more round and the tip is exposed. I'm guessing you did it like that with the intention of finishing it later.

It was quite inexpensive to print this one, so I wanted to print it and see what needs to be fixed on it. Oddly enough, what you pointed out are the two things I'm not quite happy with. I'm going to angle the handle, and as for the tip, it is covered, but not as much as I want it to be (the picture kinda makes it look like it's not). That said, I'll be fixing it up tomorrow, and I'll resend it out to get done. Should maybe take me an hour to fix. I did hollow it out, so having it in two pieces really lightens it up, but kept it about 1mm + in thickness.

You know, with that kind of immense creative power it's possible to go further by creating master molds from out of the fixed prototypes, and from there manufacture some limited-run add-on kits and even replacement parts that would be otherwise hard to find.

In other words, everything is possible. :)

You know, with that kind of immense creative power it's possible to go further by creating master molds from out of the fixed prototypes, and from there manufacture some limited-run add-on kits and even replacement parts that would be otherwise hard to find.

In other words, everything is possible. :)

That's true, and so far, I'm planning on making quite a few kits, accessories, and whatnot. First will be the wing ordinance, I'll probably sell the gun too, and eventually get a prototype of the SRV Spiderbug. That one is a bit pricey, and with the material that I get these printed in now, they are a bit more cleaner than just the standard print, but it helps with cleanup.

Yeah, I was thinking of tapping Jasonc to create a replacement GU-11 for my Robotech Ben Dixon VF-1A, since I lost that damn gunpod. Unfortunately, the backpack hinge broke and I was not successful at superglueing it back on.

My brothers were the culprits in each case. They lost the gunpod. They broke the backpack... then I had been saving the broken-off piece in a plastic bag so I could try to affix it at a later time. I asked my older little brother (who's 21 now) to pack the valkyrie in its case for me so I could pack it into my moving boxes. Get to my new place and unpack it... the damn piece is gone. He never put the baggie inside of the box for me, even though I explicitly told him not to forget it. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU---

I'm just going to have to wait a few years until after I graduate before I can afford to buy a new valk... :(

Yeah, I was thinking of tapping Jasonc to create a replacement GU-11 for my Robotech Ben Dixon VF-1A, since I lost that damn gunpod. Unfortunately, the backpack hinge broke and I was not successful at superglueing it back on.

My brothers were the culprits in each case. They lost the gunpod. They broke the backpack... then I had been saving the broken-off piece in a plastic bag so I could try to affix it at a later time. I asked my older little brother (who's 21 now) to pack the valkyrie in its case for me so I could pack it into my moving boxes. Get to my new place and unpack it... the damn piece is gone. He never put the baggie inside of the box for me, even though I explicitly told him not to forget it. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU---

I'm just going to have to wait a few years until after I graduate before I can afford to buy a new valk... :(

If you can, send me a pic of the part that's broken. I may have a spare part. I bought several of the unassembled kits, and I used two to make one, so I have a lot of extra parts. Some I've used to replace broken parts on mine, but others are just sitting in storage. The only thing better than creating a replacement piece, is getting an exact replica replacement. If I don't have it, I maybe able to work out something with you on getting one made for you.

I know this is a horrible picture, but I hope it's enough to give you an idea.

post-13007-0-98892100-1321038101_thumb.jpg

The only camera that I have is on my piece of sh*t RAZR phone from when they were cutting-edge so many years ago. Now you see why I can't afford to buy a new valk? :D

I can't really see it too well, but I'll take a look at the entire component list and see what I got. If I have that piece, I'll shoot you a pm.

I have recently start to draw in 3D myself in CAD and I mainly draw in solids when I can. Might I ask what file type you use?

But your work looks impressive and the fact that you have a 3D printer is cool.

I save them as .stl files. Not really usable for animating or high detail, and I don't think for putting a skin on it, but it will send the data to a 3D printer. Thanks for the compliment. I don't have the 3D printer but there are sites and companies that will grow the parts for you. Depending on the detail you want, material, etc., they can become quite pricey. What I use is not the cheap print, but not bank breaking either.

It is a polished SLS for most of it. I've tried using other materials for a higher resolution and there's an option to grow them with a clear type material that is semi clear, high detail, but also brittle (IMO). In any case, these are just material choices I have to make. I still will clean it up for recasting.

I updated the gun, and I think it looks much better. The front nose portion of it is now one solid, instead of a formation of 2 or 3. I'm much happier with the end result here.

post-582-0-94854300-1321142672_thumb.jpg

I, er, "stole" my mother's digital camera last weekend during my visit to her house. :D

As you can see, it's just a simple peg that broke off. My brother suggested I dig through some old toys and Legos of his and came up with the arm from a Lego man that I could possibly use. Cut off the hand and then use glue to attach it to the part. However, if you can come up with something for me, I'd love to give it a shot!

post-13007-0-74546800-1321590022_thumb.jpg

post-13007-0-34662600-1321590061_thumb.jpg