seemed more appropriate to talk about artwork and designs from various series here than in the pacific rim thread.

Well actually, I started the O/T Artwork thread MWers to post their own non-Macross artwork (hence, not in the Fanworks section) and not really to discuss artwork that hasn't been created and/or posted here by one of us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not bad! I love how well you color!!! If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism:

-The characters' bodies look kind of wonky. I don't know if it is the legs being too short, or the torsos being too long. Either way, a lot of them look kinda like midgets.

-That mecha looks generic. I like the general design, but what you've got right now looks like a throw-away design from Southern Cross.

Anyhow, keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see this series you're working on!

Hey Drew, thank you I am always open to artistic opinions definitely one way to keep your pen straighter and colors brighter. Getting those legs & torsos to look just right still slips by me at times. :p

I agree the mecha is pretty generic for now and yes that is one of the 1st draft designs. Lately at least for me it seems like Mecha is either so overly complicated in design its awesome but can be distracting as well, so my initial thought was something overly simple. But there are other designs being finalized, when I post them critiques and opinions are surely welcomed! :)

Hopefully a few months from now I'll have some short strips/clips I can post here as a preview to the story!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Drew, just simple 8.5X11 illustration board for the colored drawings. The B&W one is just regular paper, I simply outlined that one and before I knew I got a bit carried away! :D

@Knight, I've never seen a Barbie with a figure like that before!! :p

Cool thread! I've got some artwork here;

__The_Cavalry___by_kurisama.jpg

I forgot how awesome these are. I hope you had a chance to do some more personal work. I'm about to start the companion piece the poster I did on page one here.

Edited by PetarB

Here's something I did yesterday;

building_better_worlds_b.jpg

Wrapping up a studio job right now, should have more time for personal projects for a while after that. Thinking of doing a second web comic.

Also, Kurisama's bird fightercraft is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Didn't notice this thread before, but that's some pretty nice artwork here.

You should stop by this thread more often! :D

@Radd, your character style & coloring technique are really nice, love the way those screens cast such a bright light. :mellow:

You should stop by this thread more often! :D

You bet I will. ^_^

If I feel thick-skinned enough, I might even post some of my stuff here. Though I'd be seriously outclassed by you guys here.

@ Radd: That's a nice piece of work there! I've always loved cyberpunk artwork.

Edited by GU-11

Heh, thanks much, guys.

@renegadeleader1

Yup. Was a last minute addition to the pic.

@the white drew carey

Love the linework. I'm personally not a fan of airbrushy shading, but that's the great thing about working digital, you can try different things. When you haven't settled on a style or technique you can throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

I see room for some nifty design work in that final part with the car. Maybe instead of fading the last word balloon out with a gradient, have the balloon itself fade out before the text in more of a breaking up into little pieces effect. Not sure how to better describe what I mean, maybe after I finish my work for the day I'll try and doodle one up. Anyways, have the word balloon fade out that way, and as the text overlaps the black have it turn white and also kinda wither out into the blackness, with illegible words barely visible trailing off in the space behind the car.

These words make sense in my head, just sat down with coffee tho.

Adding a few more. :)

I am no artist, to be sure, and you certainly have more talent than me, but I just have to note:

The undereye/nose shading on every face is quite odd and distracting. I have no idea what purpose it serves other than to look like "he' drawing manga style!"

The halo of highlighting around everyone's head is likewise puzzling and reinforces the aforementioned impression.

Like I said, you have some talent, and it looks like your bodies/proportions are improving...I don't want to sound too critical, but the stuff I noted really stand out to me.

@the white drew carey

Love the linework. I'm personally not a fan of airbrushy shading, but that's the great thing about working digital, you can try different things. When you haven't settled on a style or technique you can throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about it either. But I simply don't have the digital painting skills that you guys have. Maybe I use the wrong tool set or something... but I don't know how you do it!

I see room for some nifty design work in that final part with the car. Maybe instead of fading the last word balloon out with a gradient, have the balloon itself fade out before the text in more of a breaking up into little pieces effect. Not sure how to better describe what I mean, maybe after I finish my work for the day I'll try and doodle one up. Anyways, have the word balloon fade out that way, and as the text overlaps the black have it turn white and also kinda wither out into the blackness, with illegible words barely visible trailing off in the space behind the car.

These words make sense in my head, just sat down with coffee tho.

I totally see what you are getting at. I'll see if I can incorporate that in... or something similar. Now that you've put that thought into my head, I've come up with something different in mind that may likely play along with the theme of the story as a whole. Hmmm...

(Oops, posted too quickly)

However, a lot of the comic will be a mix between complete linework, and shading. The shaded parts may actually be very minimal. We only see them in the first coupla pages because it is supposed to be dark in the bedroom, you know.

Still toying with it.

p.s.- if you have any tips or pointers to digital painting tutorials, I'd love to check them out. Maybe I can get better at it?

Simple trick for shading, silhouette your figures in a selection, like the visible area, fill it with black, decrease the opacity to 50 and start erasing where you want the light to be. Very simple way to get that nifty 80's style solid shading. Works with multiple layers of shading, too.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about it either. But I simply don't have the digital painting skills that you guys have. Maybe I use the wrong tool set or something... but I don't know how you do it!

from another thread, what I use for digital painting/shading:

(fyi this will only work if you've got a tablet)

select a medium sized round brush with hardness set to 100% and spacing to 25%

disable shape dynamics completely.

enable Transfer (used to be 'other dynamics' prior to CS4/5) and set Opacity Jitter and Flow Jitter to pen pressure.

also enable airbrush mode, and depending on what you're working on enable wet edges.

now all you have to do is adjust the size of your brush as you work.

Just to let you in on part of what I do, since I'm not really much of a digital painter, is I usually flat (is that the correct term?) my line art using Bpelt's Multifill and Flatten (http://www.bpelt.com/psplugins/download.html]) filters, and then manipulate my colors and shading from there. I find it extremely fast helpful in laying down my base colors.

Anyone else use a similar filter or technique?

• 1 month later...

The newest strip of my webcomic, GAMERGEEKDADDY.

I don't know, is this off-topic or not?

759__800x800_ggd010.png

(edited to include the actual strip instead of a link but, if you're cool, you'll go check out the red text in my sig... you could win something!)

I still hope to marry a Sino-Brazilian girl, to gives Minmay name for my daughter ...