Basara Nekki

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Basara Nekki?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm having Basara's love child

I think the major charm and appeal of Macross in the mecha-dept was that the mechas were about as completely non-derivative of the old 70's robots, i.e. they don't remind anyone of the Mazinger Z or Getter or Raideen or Balatach or Mekander or etc, etc.

The exception to that being the Soundforce valks of M7 having faces, of course.

Having a mouth on a mecha in Macross is just stupidly silly and unnecessary, imo.

Well, uh...that's you.

Those of us who are better acquainted with mecha shows know different. :)

eyes on a giant robot?

ruined forever

I really must ask.

Who is talking about "eyes on a giant robot" ?

I'm also still unsure about your earlier post regarding:

I dunno, everyone accuses the Fire Valkyrie and its fellow VFs from Macross 7 of looking like Gundams.

I'm a bit interested about who these "everyone" that you're talking about.

I believe the comment was about the mouths not the eyes.

I'm also in the camp that feels the mouth was stupid and unnecessary.

macross7ex_tva_top.jpg

That said, we should keep in mind that by 1994, the "real robot" theme was dead and the creators were looking for something different to revive the robot anime genre and garner a new generation of fans. For Macross, gone was the "real" look and idol j-pop, in was flamboyant colors and visual-kei bands. Naturally that'll turn off some of us oldtimers from the "real robot" generation but then Macross 7 wasn't really aimed at us.

Edited by Vifam7

That said, we should keep in mind that by 1994, the "real robot" theme was dead

wat

Did you know in Japan they don't really use the "real robot" moniker outside of SRW games?

No seriously look

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1

Even the fans in Japan classify Robot Anime by whether the robot has a pilot or not. Or whether it's from space or from Earth. It's all SF Anime to them.

And what person who watched Macross 7 (or Plus) in 1994 was an old timer? People would probably be a senior in high school or in college :x

wat

Did you know in Japan they don't really use the "real robot" moniker outside of SRW games?

No seriously look

http://ja.wikipedia....%83%8B%E3%83%A1

Even the fans in Japan classify Robot Anime by whether the robot has a pilot or not. Or whether it's from space or from Earth. It's all SF Anime to them.

And what person who watched Macross 7 (or Plus) in 1994 was an old timer? People would probably be a senior in high school or in college :x

Does it really matter what the people in Japan use for their "robot"-terminology to us here in the west or how old they were in Japan when 7 and Plus was shown?

Seriously.

What's the relevance to us that are not there?

I believe the comment was about the mouths not the eyes.

I'm also in the camp that feels the mouth was stupid and unnecessary.

macross7ex_tva_top.jpg

That said, we should keep in mind that by 1994, the "real robot" theme was dead and the creators were looking for something different to revive the robot anime genre and garner a new generation of fans. For Macross, gone was the "real" look and idol j-pop, in was flamboyant colors and visual-kei bands. Naturally that'll turn off some of us oldtimers from the "real robot" generation but then Macross 7 wasn't really aimed at us.

I would agree.

But then we have to consider that both Evangelion and Nadesico followed mere months later after M7. Those two were even more flamboyant and superbly more awesome anime than M7 and didn't grate nor made us groan.

:D

Because perpetuating "real" and "super" as distinct categories is lazy, untrue, and impedes discussion.

Happens all over the interwebs. Trust me, I am an expert.

I think diverting with "eyes on a giant robot" is more impeding in the discussion than whining about "real" or "super" categories, don't you think?

:p

wat

No seriously look

http://ja.wikipedia....%83%8B%E3%83%A1

They do use the word "real robot".

It's not a absolute definitive term but certain themes do distinguish what is a "real robot" and "super robot".

See here: http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C%E3%83%83%E3%83%88

Um yeah. Macross TV ran in 1982-83 DYRL was in theaters in 1984. I was 10yrs old. Kids mainly watched SDF Macross. Macross 7 aired in 1994. That's a full 10 years later. Plus is different. That's an OAV and those are specifically created for otaku.

But then we have to consider that both Evangelion and Nadesico followed mere months later after M7. Those two were even more flamboyant and superbly more awesome anime than M7 and didn't grate nor made us groan.

Evangelion didn't make me groan, it made me scream in frustration. What I hated about Gunbuster was whiny crybaby Noriko, but at least she was sort of cute with somewhat of a drive, yet whiny crybaby Shinji just made me want to go up to him and blast Planet Dance in his face. I much prefer a protagonist like Basara who doesn't give a crap and does what he likes to a stupid kid who just mopes around and mumbles about how he's useless. Amuro, Noriko, Shinji, all the way up to that prat from Guilty Crown airing right now, why do people love kids with no self-esteem?? I know you guys are currently discussing mouths on mecha, so I hate to bring it back to the characters (even though it's the title of the thread) but I *personally* think Basara is a better role model if only for the fact that he encourages being active -- whether succeeding or failing, or even being right or wrong -- rather than being introverted and passive.

why do people love kids with no self-esteem??

From what I've heard, the kids who watch these shows tend to connect with such protagonists. Also, in many of the older anime, the growth and development of the character is an integral part of the story and thus it's easier to have an immature young teen as the main protagonist. As we grow older, it's natural for us to want to scold such immature kids or slap them into order (like Bright Noa did to Amuro).

Edited by Vifam7

Evangelion didn't make me groan, it made me scream in frustration. What I hated about Gunbuster was whiny crybaby Noriko, but at least she was sort of cute with somewhat of a drive, yet whiny crybaby Shinji just made me want to go up to him and blast Planet Dance in his face. I much prefer a protagonist like Basara who doesn't give a crap and does what he likes to a stupid kid who just mopes around and mumbles about how he's useless. Amuro, Noriko, Shinji, all the way up to that prat from Guilty Crown airing right now, why do people love kids with no self-esteem?? I know you guys are currently discussing mouths on mecha, so I hate to bring it back to the characters (even though it's the title of the thread) but I *personally* think Basara is a better role model if only for the fact that he encourages being active -- whether succeeding or failing, or even being right or wrong -- rather than being introverted and passive.

Well, I don't live in Japan and don't quite understand the fans over there, but I don't really think it's quite healthy (mentally and otherwise) to have or to fixate on an anime character to serve as a role-model for anyone. Regardless if it's Basara or Shinji or whoever.

However, for entertainment value, I am more entertained with Shinji and Eva anime than I ever have had with Basara and M7 anime.

Even more entertained with the current Eva reboot, as a matter of fact.

Well, I don't live in Japan and don't quite understand the fans over there, but I don't really think it's quite healthy (mentally and otherwise) to have or to fixate on an anime character to serve as a role-model for anyone. Regardless if it's Basara or Shinji or whoever.

Uh... hate to burst the bubble, but fixating on a character, from anime or otherwise, is something that most everyone the world over does.

He-man? Luke Skywalker? Ponies? Lot's of kids do it.

Uh... hate to burst the bubble, but fixating on a character, from anime or otherwise, is something that most everyone the world over does.

He-man? Luke Skywalker? Ponies? Lot's of kids do it.

Luke Skywalker ain't an anime character.

That said, I think most kids I know grow out of fixating on any anime or cartoon character by the time they're over 8yo or something.

Furthermore, I think most of us here in this forum are not kids anymore. We can buy our 1/60 Yammies with our own money! :D

The Fire Valkirye is not a gundam.

It's a clone of Optimus Prime's faceplate.

Optimus Prime is just a truck rip-off of the RX-78 Gundam. Check and mate! You haters sure now how to run away & go off tangent w hen you're losing though.

Agreed.

Twitches in the neck don't equal da dodge!

Anyone can shoot first, Basara got right up into the enemies faces & sang first. Besides which, don't think I need to get into how solo embodies all the same qualities of a non-changing static character through out SW.

If we're going to start debating Gundams, Han Solo and Optimus Prime, then maybe this thread needs to die. :)

ThatI do not know.

I just said that Basara was a bossal, cold and no clinging to life.

Edited by Old_Nash

I dunno, everyone accuses the Fire Valkyrie and its fellow VFs from Macross 7 of looking like Gundams.

It's that young never played the SDF Macross: Remember Me of TurboGrafx-16.

SPD-1 Stampede Valkyrie

sdp-1-stampede-fighter.gif

sdp-1-stampede-battroid.gif

Thanks to Macross Mecha Manual by images

If we're going to start debating Gundams, Han Solo and Optimus Prime, then maybe this thread needs to die. :)

That's loser talk!

ThatI do not know.

I just said thatBasara was a bossal, cold and no clinging to life.

And then you were disproven beyond the shadow of a down, and classified as Wanzerfan 2012.

Just watched Macross 7 entirely, so I thought I'd vote... now, I guess this series has a sizeable following and all, and the toys from it don't look half bad, but personally... Macross 7 was almost unwatchable. Geezus, it was painful forcing myself to watch it just to hopefully find something redeemable about it, but aside from seeing Max and Miriya again, I got nothing. Immediately after watching 7, I had to go back and watch episodes of SDF: Macross as a palette cleanser. lol

Oh, and as far as my vote... Basara = Probably the worst character concept in Macross ever. But for folks that enjoy 7 and Basara, more power to you.

Edited by ultraman zoffy

Just watched Macross 7 entirely, so I thought I'd vote... now, I guess this series has a sizeable following and all, and the toys from it don't look half bad, but personally... Macross 7 was almost unwatchable. Geezus, it was painful forcing myself to watch it just to hopefully find something redeemable about it, but aside from seeing Max and Miriya again, I got nothing. Immediately after watching 7, I had to go back and watch episodes of SDF: Macross as a palette cleanser. lol

Oh, and as far as my vote... Basara = Probably the worst character concept in Macross ever. But for folks that enjoy 7 and Basara, more power to you.

It's actually funny that last week I had the exact opposite experience.

I put in a random SDF Macross DVD for the first time in years and I got really bored (and the animation also made it really unwatchable), so I put in a random Macross 7 DVD (again, for the first time in years), and I was genuinely entertained for 25 minutes.