Ranma ½ Live-Action

areaseven

This December, Ranma ½ returns to Japanese TV in a 2-hour live-action special. The much-forgotten manga/anime by Rumiko Takahashi (Urusei Yatsura, InuYasha) was Viz Media's bread and butter during the anime boom of the 1990s, but people stopped talking about it in the early 2000s. The TV special stars the following:

e991477c4b7aa27c57689a4286b28f5a1319152380_full.jpg

Kenta Kaku as Ranma Saotome

3f96195ec024c8a0bb1e3fbf3bf565e71319152337_full.jpg

Natsuna as female Ranma

b49d324fa93a8f88705bd20737f24e3b1319152235_full.jpg

Yui Aragaki as Akane Tendo

ebc137489aaf2d8fa9c548a5ffd906571319152438_full.jpg

Kyoko Hasegawa as Kasumi Tendo

58afc0e8a1a56bedaca159c6956616a21319152419_full.jpg

Maki Nishiyama as Nabiki Tendo

250506ff24b4953bfd170cf5cd3015a01319152254_full.jpg

Furuta Arata as Genma Saotome

ac100122f99bda732ebb63565e1d62d91319152299_full.jpg

Katsuhisa Namase as Soun Tendo

0d13894ddeba6ca2ec33edc50ffd8bdf1319152269_full.jpg

Kenta Nagayama as Tatewaki Kuno

0e85ff8059fbd73a9618e1eb5f2ff6ae1319152284_full.jpg

Yuta Kanai as Hikaru Gosunkugi

28caa5bbfa731a14280d0351cdd829eb1319152400_full.jpg

Shosuke Tanihara as Dr. Tofu

3168bbe7a309727a670cd24c27cf534c1319152454_full.jpg

Ryosei Tayama as Vice Principal Okumata

I wonder who will play Shampoo...

Ranma ½ Live-Action Announced

Edited by areaseven

With just two hours, then they probably won't include Shampoo or Ryouga, which would let them skip having to do the (likely bad) CGI for a pig and a cat transformation. That still leaves them a panda, but one human-sized critter will probably be easier to deal with than a bunch of them.

I wish Rumiko Takahashi would consider continuing the Ranma 1/2 anime series 'coz it ended too abruptly. It would be great to see the Herb arc or the Saffron arc from the manga animated. :(

Also, will this live action focus only on the main characters?

With just two hours, then they probably won't include Shampoo or Ryouga, which would let them skip having to do the (likely bad) CGI for a pig and a cat transformation. That still leaves them a panda, but one human-sized critter will probably be easier to deal with than a bunch of them.

I'm sure they'll try to squeeze in Shampoo, but leave out the part of her turning into a cat. Ryoga may or may not be in the movie, as he was vital to Akane's character development in the manga and anime.

I wish Rumiko Takahashi would consider continuing the Ranma 1/2 anime series 'coz it ended too abruptly. It would be great to see the Herb arc or the Saffron arc from the manga animated. :(

Also, will this live action focus only on the main characters?

Takahashi has a habit of leaving her manga titles open-ended and having the anime adaptations end with no resolution to the overall storylines. Mind you, I don't know how Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku and InuYasha ended, or if they ended at all. All I know is that the Ranma ½ manga ended by not ending the marriage issue at all.

I'm sure they'll try to squeeze in Shampoo, but leave out the part of her turning into a cat. Ryoga may or may not be in the movie, as he was vital to Akane's character development in the manga and anime.

It's been so long that I don't remember exactly, but I think Ryoga didn't get introduced until a few episodes in and Shampoo even later. Looking at the cast list, I'm guessing they're just adapting the initial story.

It's been so long that I don't remember exactly, but I think Ryoga didn't get introduced until a few episodes in and Shampoo even later. Looking at the cast list, I'm guessing they're just adapting the initial story.

They haven't announced who will play Nabiki. She'd better be equally kawaii, or it wouldn't be the Tendo sisters at all.

Ryoga actually came first in the storyline. Shampoo was supposed to be introduced in season 2, but the anime got low ratings and was facing cancellation, so she was brought in to end season 1. Because episode 18 (the season 1 finale) got very high ratings, the show was retooled for a second season a month later.

I'm just not sure what the point is if it is going to be a drama.

That's what all shows of that type are called over here. You've got "Variety", and "Drama". Variety has shows from talk shows to comedy ensembles (Mecha Mecha Iketeru and Lincoln being my favorites), drama covers pretty much anything that scripted and acted, be it drama, action, comedy, horror, etc.

Someone else was asking about the nudity. It depends on when and where it's going to be aired. One of the major stations during the Golden Time, no nudity. After 11 or so, possibility of the casual nudity. On cable, late at night- boobies a flying everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Akane and kuno are really not bad at all.

Takahashi has a habit of leaving her manga titles open-ended and having the anime adaptations end with no resolution to the overall storylines. Mind you, I don't know how Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku and InuYasha ended, or if they ended at all. All I know is that the Ranma ½ manga ended by not ending the marriage issue at all.

Both Maison Ikkoku and Inuyasha have "real" ends. Which is no exactly the case with Urusei Yatsura.

But concerning the end of Ranma 1/2, as the two main characters are what ? 17 ? i would say that's a good thing that she chose to not marry them.

Edited by Castel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Airs Friday night, at 9 I believe. I'll tape, and see how it is. No idea when I'll actually get a chance to watch it, though....

Whoops, no, it's at 7. Still gonna tape it, though.

Edited by Jefuemon