Hasegawa 1/72 VF-11 custom

Dobber

Hi guys, soooo I've begun work on my VF-11 and I plan on using the complex digi camo scheme that we had talked about in the old VF-11 kit thread but need some advise. The actual fulcrum that uses the camo scheme has it only on the upper surfaces.....but do you guys think it would look better as a complete wrap around or would that be too much and over-kill. It would definitely be easier for me to just do it as the real plan has it but doing a net search I saw other aircraft had a wrap around scheme too. Just wanted your input, nothing to show yet as I'm only at the begging of the cockpit, but build and masking should be starting this week. Thanks for any input, here is a picture of the camo scheme I plan on replicating on my Thunderbolt.

Chris

402979-bigthumbnail.jpg

Hi guys, soooo I've begun work on my VF-11 and I plan on using the complex digi camo scheme that we had talked about in the old VF-11 kit thread but need some advise. The actual fulcrum that uses the camo scheme has it only on the upper surfaces.....but do you guys think it would look better as a complete wrap around or would that be too much and over-kill. It would definitely be easier for me to just do it as the real plan has it but doing a net search I saw other aircraft had a wrap around scheme too. Just wanted your input, nothing to show yet as I'm only at the begging of the cockpit, but build and masking should be starting this week. Thanks for any input, here is a picture of the camo scheme I plan on replicating on my Thunderbolt.

Chris

I'd use it just on the upper surfaces and a lighter plain grey underneath.

Edited by Reïvaj

One trick I learned is do the camo dark to light. Yes, it's backwards but it's so much easier masking the relatively small dark gray areas then spray medium gray etc...

Yup, already planning on doing it that way. :) Now I just have to figure out what color to use for the radom and I'll have all my colors set. Just need to check what I have......I'm sure I have something that is similar to what the fulcrum uses.

Chris

Well the VF-11 shows pretty much only the upper surfaces in battroid mode except for the front of the legs which would be the engine under-sides in fighter mode. I'm probably just going to stick with how the Fulcrum does it. I'll see how it goes as I'm working on it

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Update: Main fuselage camo is pretty much done. Will probably add a little more here and there to "tighten" it up a little, but you can see it's fairly complex.

Starting work on the V. Stabs now. :) Hope you guys like.

Chris

post-265-0-92685100-1317232747_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-50450400-1317232769_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-92502500-1317232792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

• 1 month later...

One trick I learned is do the camo dark to light. Yes, it's backwards but it's so much easier masking the relatively small dark gray areas then spray medium gray etc...

Tried this after reading your build of the SV-51 (and talking by email). It is a good idea for the uber complex schemes.

Kenny