Aliens: Colonial Marines morphs into Isolation

Dobber

Well, I guess for me the nail is in the coffin now. Giant Bomb just gave Aliens: Colonial Marines a score of 1 out of 5. Wow.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/aliens-colonial-marines-review/1900-558/

General feeling from the GB team is the game is a competent shooter but simply doesn't do anything different from any other shooter. Most damning criticism of the game was the lack of almost any tension in either the single or multiplayer modes, which is a terrible thing to say about a franchise whose currency is making the audience tense. Given high fan expectation and adoration for the franchise, I figure the game had to be better than average to even hope for fan approval but instead what was delivered was a terribly mediocre result. They also have a quick look (about an hour) if anyone is interested.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-aliens-colonial-marines/2300-7033/

...the many years of development spent on Colonial Marines have resulted in a staggering misfire. Ugly, tedious, and frankly more than a little bit broken, Colonial Marines is not a game that offers you, the presumed Aliens fan, anything you wouldn't do just fine without.

This is a real shame :( Edited by Mr March

I heard Sega could be seeking legal action against Gearbox for continuously asking for Extensions and pushing the release back 9 months and further each time they were close to releasing a beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo the evidence speaks for itself when Gearbox released a gameplay demo at E3 which looks far better and more intense than what was given as the final product. Sega also released an updated software patch today that would fix many of the physic glitches such as collision barriers between player and NPC's and door issues.

The walkthroughs are up on Youtube. So watch in delight, horror, disgust, etc.

Oh man, I'm watching one right now. The dialog... It's so bad... :wacko:

:edit:

and the graphics...

and the AI...

and the enemy diversity...

Edited by anime52k8

Oh man, I'm watching one right now. The dialog... It's so bad... :wacko:

:edit:

and the graphics...

and the AI...

and the enemy diversity...

Yes. I was watching a Youtuber stream his single-player campaign run through after I posted that message. Apparently the PC-version was a straight 'port and didn't support certain graphics options so the game crashed during the stream. Either Youtuber couldn't shot (which is always a possibility but unlikely because I've watched his other gameplays and he's not a bad shot) OR the hit-detection was bad that it doesn't detect center-of-mass hits. The physics engine seems to need a lot of work.

Hopefully that patch did something. I definitely won't pick this up (mostly because I really don't have time) but Jeebus, this game looks like a 1st release beta.

“Hey Aliens, I wanna introduce you to a personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle, ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher"

Game looks awesome, I'll definitely get this one! cool.gif

10mm CASELESS...

Supposedly that patch was supposed to cure the collision detection issue, but I haven't heard anyone crying "Halleluja!" so who knows. I've been there on opening day for every Alien game, including the RTS on the Xbox/PS back in the day, but I'm not feeling it for this one...

Played it yesterday, it seems like a fine shooter/game to me, maybe I'm just easy to please, lol. Also, I got a pc mod for it that allows DX10 to be active, instead of being forced to use DX9. The list of improvements :

- DirectX 10 is enabled

-Better light thanks to DX10

Realistic light-shadow effects lamps.

- Weapons reflect better.

- Realistic muzzle flash.

Fewer problems with Nvidia 3d 3d mode

- RAM usage is better for graphics (textures) light animations texture memory load times of textures and shadows.

- Game will load faster.

- Better Bloom

- MSAA ON

- Play better with the controller better AIM is active.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Wait....what.....what is that? What's happening?

It's one of the missions where you have to sneak by them in the sewer section. This particular breed apparently can't see, but have a keen sense of hearing, so you have to be still when they're moving by you, and when they sit back down, that's when you crouch and sneak by them. When they get back up, that's when you have to stay still again. In this stage, you don't have any gear, so if they attack you, you're screwed.

I think part of the problem is that this game has been in development so long, that people's expectations were really high. As a shooter game, it's decent to me. But I think that it not having Direct X 10 enabled or having Direct X 11 support was stupid.

-Kyp

It's one of the missions where you have to sneak by them in the sewer section. This particular breed apparently can't see, but have a keen sense of hearing, so you have to be still when they're moving by you, and when they sit back down, that's when you crouch and sneak by them. When they get back up, that's when you have to stay still again. In this stage, you don't have any gear, so if they attack you, you're screwed.

Or you can just run past them (skip to 11:30)

Edited by anime52k8

I picked up a copy from redbox for 2 dollars a day, gotta tell you even for 2 dollars I'd want my money back. I've had a number of glitches in the first 15 minutes of gameplay then I've ever encountered in any kind of game in the last decade! I mean Xeno's merging into the stair grates and still able to attack you but you can't shoot them back cause they're under the damn stairs kind of glitches!

It's surprising how much of a hold this franchise still has on me. Granted, there's good reason; the first two films are still brilliant, AVP 2 is still one of the best PC games and all the mechanical designs are still fun to look at to this day. But only just in the last week has my willpower finally defeated the last of my blind nostalgia and I've completely accepted that I will not buy this game, even on a Steam sale. It took a surprising amount of self-convincing. I suppose this is why companies keep exploiting once-great franchises, because that adoration developed in one's formative years is a potent purchasing power. So...Die Hard 6 then? :)