Thoughts on Macross II

VF-15 Banshee

Nice try Keith, but that tired old dismissive doesn't work anymore... :rolleyes: I've debunked your assertion on more than one occasion.

All you have to do is watch it understand that.

When was that now? But hell, no one is saying you can't watch & like Macross II, but it's foolish to ignore the blatant recycling. It's easier to list the things that are different than the things that are the same, but hell, let's go through this again.

Differences:

-Claudia (Vash) is Hikaru's (Hibiki) friend instead Misa's (Silvie).

-The roles of Hikaru & Misa are shifted around so that now Misa (Silvie) is a pilot that for some reason hangs out with a top ranking official, while Hikaru (Hibiki) is a reporter.

-The role of Minmay (Ishtar) is shifted around a bit so that now Minmay comes from the enemy side to learn Earth culture to take back to the enemy, instead of being on Earth's side to bring Earth's culture to the enemy...

-Max (Nexx) does not get a hot alien chick.

-Kim, Shammy & Vanessa are not piots (Fairy Squadren).

-Bodolza (Ingus) is now reduced from a cunniving military strategist leader, to a dictator.

-Britai (Feff) falls in love with Minmay (Ishtar)

-Anything relating to the "Alus" mythos.

-Now for some of the many scene reproductions, slight reworks:

-Drunken Sempai Roy (Dennis) dies invading an enemy ship, Hikaru (Hibiki) rescues a girl on his way out (this time it's Minmay/Ishtar instead of Misa/Silvie)

-Culture park date scene montage/Hikaru Minmay date scene montag

-Silvie & Wendy get captured in the unarmed Metal Siren/Hikaru & Minmay get captured in the unarmed VT-1

-Vash gives Hibiki dating advice at a bar (via phone), Claudia gives Misa dating advice in a bar (via the next stool)

-Banana Moon of Love Minmay attack scene/ Shao Pai Loon cocnert into attack scene

-Hibiki & Silvie raise the Macross which is blasted down by Ingus, Hikaru & Misa raise the Protoculture city which is blasted down by Laplamiz

-Ishtar sings at the end and broadcasts herself to the Ingus fleet, Feff takes command due to Ignus being a douche & blasting his own men, Minmay is broadcast to the Bodol fleet, Britai takes command due to Bodolza being a douche and blasting his own men.

And it goes on and on like that. What doesnt' mirror a DYRL scene is usually lifted straight from the TV series, such as the Macross Cannon gunships being parallels to the Grand Cannons. But II strives a little too hard to replicate what happened before, as opposed to Frontiers winks & nods to what happened before.

So far I'm only on Macross II episode 3, and having a hard time with the English dub, I'll finish because its Macross and not because it’s enjoyable, I have mixed feelings on the animation, some scenes are just fine but there has been a few that just looked a little rough.

ok some of those are a bit of a stretch

a bit

Wait... did veef just come to the defense of Macross II? Now I've seen everything.

So far I'm only on Macross II episode 3, and having a hard time with the English dub, I'll finish because its Macross and not because it’s enjoyable, I have mixed feelings on the animation, some scenes are just fine but there has been a few that just looked a little rough.

You'll probably have a better time with Macross II: Lovers Again if you watch it with subtitles... the English dub was pretty terrible, due in large measure to it being a simultaneous America-Japan release from the early days of (mostly) faithful dubbing.