80's anime fans still here?

Area88

LOTTSA LOVE for Dangaioh! Maybe my favorite mecha design. The plot / script were AWFUL, but the animation, designs and even soundtrack were awesome (insert Iczer 1 here too)

I'm still hoping to get a SHE Dangaioh someday...

( p.s. - isn't it 'psychic wave' ?? )

Back in the day, I was merely disappointed that there wasn't any nudity in it...

Bingo! Which is kind of funny considering the comic book adverts they ran for Gunbuster back in the day about doing proper subtitling.

I can't begin to tell you the excitement I had when I saw all 3 volumes of US Renditions' Gunbuster and Dangaioh tapes at Suncoast, way back around 1991.

I believe it was like $40 per tape. I purchased the Gunbuster tapes. I still have them. :D

Edited by Vifam7

I can't begin to tell you the excitement I had when I saw all 3 volumes of US Renditions' Gunbuster and Dangaioh tapes at Suncoast, way back around 1991.

I believe it was like $40 per tape. I purchased the Gunbuster tapes. I still have them. :D

I envy you, as I lost my Gunbuster and Dangaio VHS tapes years ago. I remember paying $135 (including tax) for all three volumes of Gunbuster back in 1995. And then I look back in 2007, when I paid $43 (including shipping) for Honneamise's Gunbuster DVD set.

Now when will we ever get a proper DVD or Blu-ray release of Dangaioh?

The 80's was when the Japanese economy was on fire, and people were more willing to throw money at anime projects that weren't based on existing IPs or were being done simply for art's sake. Here's a few I can think of, off the top of my head:

• Robot Carnival
  • Bobby's Girl
  • Angel's Egg

Yea, I remember buying Gunbuster Vol. 1 for $35 in '91 during my first year in college.

The 80's was when the Japanese economy was on fire, and people were more willing to throw money at anime projects that weren't based on existing IPs or were being done simply for art's sake. Here's a few I can think of, off the top of my head:

• Robot Carnival
  • Bobby's Girl
  • Angel's Egg

You're obviously a man of impeccable taste. All 3 of these I have to add to the site. No Questions about it!

I'd add Dagger of Kumui but I think Animeigo still have the license for it. I try to avoid puting licensed stuff up.

Area88 welcome back from the depths. You should reclaim the title of "The First Retro Anime Site That's Pink & Not Written By Douches".

I suggest add Dirty Pair Project Eden (The pinnacle of Dirty Pair anime) to the ranks.

Will suggest more as it comes back to me.

Edited by Save

I liked the original "Appleseed" and "Record of Lodoss War" OVA. I have yet to see all of the "Chronocles of the Heroic Knight" from Record of Lodoss War.

Both "M.D. Geist" and "M.D. Geist 2: Death Force" were particluary disturbing for obivious, gory reasons (I equate Geist to D.C. Comics' Lobo, except that Geist doesn't have Lobo's sense of humor; they're both sadistic bastards, nonetheless). The mechanized power aromors are cool in Geist.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Panzer World Galient OVA - this should be remade into an updated series. Has some of the best mech designs.

The Panzer World TV series has some interesting parts / concepts but is really just so-so.

I have a copy of the OVA but cannot find a subtitled version!

post-8486-0-28451300-1314212568_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-20452600-1314212578_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-48885600-1314212586_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-13212600-1314212598_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-68170600-1314212607_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-27087500-1314212622_thumb.jpg

Do you have a link or something to X-Nebula? Or should I just watch here on MW?

The Galient OVA might be dull, however I like its dark feel and the designs.

The universe and the robot designs need to live on past just one OVA!! Suppose that could be said of many of the old releases.

Heck - I love the Dangaioh design and animation, but honestly the dialogue is nearly unwatchable...

post-8486-0-65043200-1314213980_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-96187400-1314213987_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-64656900-1314213994_thumb.jpg

Yep, Just did - I see links for download but they do not mention whether they're subbed yet or not.

Have the whole series and OVA unsubbed, so I fear taking forever to download only to find out its what I already have.

Will try them unless someone here has a direct OVA "I just subbed this here Galient OVA" link...

Not a fan of Colony Drop I see. :D

Neither a fan or hater I enjoy some of the content they do, it's kind of like watching Fox News you already know the facts you weed through the BS and in the end it's a chuckle.

Nice site. I like what you have done.

However, I am nothing if not critical: I would definitely go back and edit your existing descriptions, both for spelling and grammar. Also, I like the color scheme, but the show titles are very hard to read.

Keep up the good work, and keep the obscure anime coming (I never thought I'd hear of Justy again)!

The Panzer World Galient OVA is in the big subbed batch by X-Nebula. Same guy who did Dougram.

The OVA is kind of dull really.

I may be laughed at for posting this question, but is that a Panzer Dragoon anime?

Edit: forget I asked the question, I just remembered that the Sega Saturn came out in the friggin mid nineties. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wanzerfan

I am surprised that no one has mentioned any Gundam series yet, like Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta.

I think people are concentrating more on obscure or hard to find titles. Zeta Gundam is easily available for the most part.