I feel the need, the need... for speed! Oh wait - wrong movie.

Best Guy (ベストガイ) is a 1990 film made by Toei in cooperation with the JASDF. Apparently, the title of "Best Guy" is a rank higher than "Top Gun" in Japan. From what I've read, the movie, to no surprise, flopped at the box office and received poor reviews. Still, it's cool to see the F-15J in action for a change.

Just by watching this sample clip, one can't help but insert Maverick, Goose and Iceman's random one-liners in it. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt3CKfji0M

Edited by areaseven

I have this movie on DVD. It's not that bad. In terms of plot, it's pretty much the same as TOP GUN and not any better or worse. Same "Maverick" type lead with questions about his father, woos the pretty girl, eventual loss of confidence, etc. The lead is played by Oda Yuuji. He became a big star after this movie.

Why this movie is weak compared to TOP GUN is the fact that (1)it doesn't have a rockin' soundtrack (2) no cliche but cool one-liners (3) no shirtless beefy men to draw in the female audience :lol: (4)they don't get to blow up MiGs. On the positive side, the aerial shots and sound effects of the F-15s are pretty good.

I have this movie on DVD. It's not that bad. In terms of plot, it's pretty much the same as TOP GUN and not any better or worse. Same "Maverick" type lead with questions about his father, woos the pretty girl, eventual loss of confidence, etc. The lead is played by Oda Yuuji. He became a big star after this movie.

Why this movie is weak compared to TOP GUN is the fact that (1)it doesn't have a rockin' soundtrack (2) no cliche but cool one-liners (3) no shirtless beefy men to draw in the female audience :lol: (4)they don't get to blow up MiGs. On the positive side, the aerial shots and sound effects of the F-15s are pretty good.

Any place in the US or that is able to ship the US sell it? It's got JASDF F-15's, that's enough for me.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia, the movie has the Tupolev Tu-16 and Sukhoi Su-27, but they were portrayed via special effects - which did not blend well with the F-15J live footage. At least they didn't use old American fighters and pretend they were MiGs.

You talking about the F5s from Top Gun? Haha!

• 1 year later...