TOP WO NERAE! GUN-BUSTAA!

Keith

The old topic was locked, and this news warrents a revival.

Gunbuster OVA on (Japanese) bluray 2/24/12

No specs yet, but I'd expect all the previous DVD extras, and if we're lucky, subtitles. Discuss.

Edited by Keith

Gunbuster OVA on bluray 2/24/12

No specs yet, but I'd expect all the previous DVD extras, and if we're lucky, subtitles. Discuss.

I understood from the "subtitles" bit, but perhaps you should make clear that you are talking about a Japanese Blu release.

Here's some more news:

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster BD Box to Add New Footage

posted on 2011-08-04 00:40 EDT

New short movie, new audio commentary, uncut original version of episode 6

The Japanese anime distributor Bandai Visual will release a Blu-ray box of Hideaki Anno's Aim for the Top! Gunbuster (1988), Gainax's first video anime project, on February 24, 2012. The box will include the first home-video release of the anime's 5.1-channel soundtrack (along with the original 2-channel soundtrack) with footage remastered through a new telecine transfer from the original film stock (under the supervision of Anno).

In addition, both the complete and regular editions of the box will add a new short movie, new audio commentary, and a 16-page booklet. (The specifications do not indicate if the short movie is live-action or animated.) Both will also have the video shorts "Harumi & Yumiko's Good Morning, Oki-Jo!", "AD 2032.7.23 Sentō Chūiki cosmic battle space orbit of Halley's comet," all five "Science Lessons," "Sizzler Project," a promotional video collection with the July 1988 and November 1988 video previews, and the 1989 in-store preview.

The complete edition will add a 115-minute bonus extras disc with an uncut original version of the sixth episode, the rough telecine transfer version of the fifth episode that was made for the episode's dialogue recording, footage from the video magazine Denei Teigoku, footage from the VHD magazine Anime Vision, a collection of production materials (displayed as still frames), and the video footage from the earlier Gunbuster Perfect release's bonus extras disc such as video comments from the staff and cast. The complete edition includes an exclusive 100-page booklet with an encyclopedia of production materials, the early image boards, and other items. The cover of the box itself will feature a new illustration.

The three-disc Blu-ray Box Complete Edition will sell for 15,540 yen (about US$201). Bandai Visual will offer a two-disc regular edition of the box without the bonus extras disc for 13,440 yen (US$174).

Sources: AV Watch, Presepe News

Wait. I thought Gunbuster already was released on Blu-ray in the US.

Should I just wait for this new version instead?

Gunbuster & Diebuster were originally 6 episode OVA's (6 each that is) that were released on DVD in the U.S. There were also two compilation films compressing both stories into movie format which were each released on DVD & bluray. Now the original Gunbuster OVA is being released on bluray, and will hopefully be followed up by Diebuster.

Was wondering why this wasn't in the old thread. I'll need to see about picking this up. Love the shoddy misnomer on ANN's writeup.

Where'd you find that figure, Mar? Must add to the collection. Shame it looks like it doesn't include episode 6 parts, but they never do.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Gunbuster OVA on (Japanese) bluray 2/24/12

If it comes with eng. subs, expect a purchase from me for certain!

Paging Noriko Takaya...new CM's figure on the way. :D

Epic win for Gunbuster fans. I will definitely purchase this as soon as the local shop brings it in.

Since its by bandai visual does the bluray come ready with eng subs like with Gundam Unicorn?

We know they have a full subtitle script in hand, the only question is whether or not they'll pop it in there. I hope the U.S. DVD's sold well enough for that answer to be "yes."

Bad news, I just got this response back from Bandai Visual

It is a Bandai visual customer center.

For the inquired matter

BCXA-0422:トップをねらえ! Blu-ray Box

BCXA-0423:トップをねらえ! Blu-ray Box Complete Edition

There is no English title in the above-mentioned commodity.

I still may pick this up, as its not obscenely priced, has that bonus episode, and I just don't see Bandai Entertainment putting it out themsevles. Maybe we should pester Funimation...

I'm so dissapointed to hear that no english subtitle will be available for the Gunbuster bluray. I would have gladly payed for that. I guess my trusty DVD will have to do unless by some miracle there is a release somewhere else.

I cooked up a Gunbuster AMV yesterday, but unfortunately, I cannot host it on YouTube or Facebook due to the copyright police. So for those who have MegaUpload accounts, you can download it on the link below.

Due to some limitations on my editing software, the video ended up having a jittery framerate. Hopefully, I'll be able to produce a corrected version later this year.

EDIT: MegaUpload is dead.

Edited by areaseven

• 3 weeks later...

When the good news rains it pours it seems. The 1st series One Coin cases are "in stock" on hlj.com

EDIT: and "discontinued" once again. :( I hope some people were able snag a set.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYTF-14

Completed that set ages ago minus all the Sizzler colors (I have White). Good set, though my Gunbuster is a little worse for wear. Be careful switching the hands out.

I'm not all that bothered by the lack of subs on the set. I have my USR tapes and numerous fansub copies. I usually just watch my R0, which is raw itself. If you're posting in this thread, you probably don't NEED subs to watch it anyway.

A7, glad to hear the framerate wasn't intentional. It really jarred the action up.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Completed that set ages ago minus all the Sizzler colors (I have White). Good set, though my Gunbuster is a little worse for wear. Be careful switching the hands out.

I'm not all that bothered by the lack of subs on the set. I have my USR tapes and numerous fansub copies. I usually just watch my R0, which is raw itself. If you're posting in this thread, you probably don't NEED subs to watch it anyway.

A7, glad to hear the framerate wasn't intentional. It really jarred the action up.

It's definately not worth cancelling over, just disappointing since they do have the materials on hand.

Oh man I hope we get a US release of the set with all the extras! I only have the movie Blu ray. Come to think of it, I think the movie version is the only one I've watched(whichever was showing @Katsucon 07).

Thanks for the heads up Keith!

Unfortunately, the U.S. arm of Honneamis doesn't exist anymore, and Bandai Entertianment has only really put out Gundam because BV is including the English subs. I'd write B.E., but I keep having some problem with their customer service script that won't let me send in another inquirry.

Bad news, I just got this response back from Bandai Visual

I still may pick this up, as its not obscenely priced, has that bonus episode, and I just don't see Bandai Entertainment putting it out themsevles. Maybe we should pester Funimation...

Here we effing go again... It's like Manga Entertainment all over again. Gunbuster obviously has a fan base here, so why don't those idiots just sub it and release it here

Here we effing go again... It's like Manga Entertainment all over again. Gunbuster obviously has a fan base here, so why don't those idiots just sub it and release it here

Because a show isn't truly good unless it's impossible to get an unf^cked with version with a good subtitle translation that's compatable on whatever regional hardware that you have. Sure we've gotten Gunbuster on DVD, but they messed up the audio on episode 1, and episode 6 isn't anamorphic. Then we got the Gunbuster movie on bluray, but it's missing over hafl the OVA content, though it does have a fully anamorphic episode 6.

• 1 month later...