Red Tails

Dobber

January 20th? F^ck that, I wanna go see this now!

-Tuskegee Airmen? CHECK!

-Beautiful dogfighting scenes? CHECK!

-Written by but not directed by George Lucas? CHECK!

Sign me up, in the future I've both paid to see this in a theatre & bought the bluray, everything in the middle is just waiting. Hell, they even brought Bryan dub Dyson Cranston back for his second WWII tour (Private Ryan being the first), this movie is set to win.

- ME-262 Final Boss Adversary? CHECK!

- Innacurate, generic paintscheme for all german types? CHECK!

- Ãœber maneuvers at 9000m? CHECK!

But I understand is to enhance the action and to let the average viewer ID the enemy planes (yellow nose or yellow band on the tail = bad guys)

Other than that I wish they had choosen a more realistic color palette for the CG scenes instead of this tired dirty, grungie, over burnt FPS style.

Looks fairly interesting...wonder how it will compare to the HBO version that came out in '95..which coincidentally, also featured Gooding Jr.

I thought the HBO movie was very good--just hampered by budget limitations.

I hate seeing the "Inspired by true events" tagline for a movie like this. Just makes me think: GODDA**IT, JUST TELL THE TRUE GODDA*N EVENTS! I fall back on the old cliche "truth is stranger than fiction." The stories of these men--and so many others--are compelling, daring, suspensful enough that they're entertaining on their own merits. They shouldn't need physics-defying embellishment and bullshi**ery, just to hold the attention spans of open-mouth-breathing-fu*kwits, who lose focus when everything doesn't look like it's off a f'ing videogame console.

lol... I love that scene, Keith.

"You couldn't hit the ground with a turd!"

"You think you bad?! You think you gonna get some bitches offa that? You think you gonna get some airplane p----??"

Once again, Boondocks for the win. "Deez Nuts Nyuggah" :)

Looks fairly interesting...wonder how it will compare to the HBO version that came out in '95..which coincidentally, also featured Gooding Jr.

Visually it will be very impressive, especially considering the 95' HBO movie borrowed footage from Memphis Belle. I was impressed to see Cuba Gooding Jr. in this as well. B))

I hate seeing the "Inspired by true events" tagline for a movie like this. Just makes me think: GODDA**IT, JUST TELL THE TRUE GODDA*N EVENTS! I fall back on the old cliche "truth is stranger than fiction." The stories of these men--and so many others--are compelling, daring, suspensful enough that they're entertaining on their own merits. They shouldn't need physics-defying embellishment and bullshi**ery, just to hold the attention spans of open-mouth-breathing-fu*kwits, who lose focus when everything doesn't look like it's off a f'ing videogame console.

Could not agree more.

I would also like to see a good high-budget film about the Flying Tigers, which offers some good storytelling material - a bunch of guys with inferior (this is arguable though) and dated planes being outnumbered by technically superior aircraft but still kicking butt and writing history.

I would also like to see a good high-budget film about the Flying Tigers, which offers some good storytelling material - a bunch of guys with inferior (this is arguable though) and dated planes being outnumbered by technically superior aircraft but still kicking butt and writing history.

WWII units I want to see movies about

1.Flying Tigers

2.VMF-214 "Black Sheep"(possible sequel to the flying tigers following boyington)

3.761st tank battalion(as long as the BET network or spike lee has nothing to do with it.)

Hear hear! Another wellspring of good stories, those guys truly beat some long odds. Plus I love the early model P-40's.

ed: God Bless the Tuskeegee Airmen! Truly they were good Shepherds of the sky, and heroes to me...

Edited by reddsun1

- Ãœber maneuvers at 9000m? CHECK!

But I understand is to enhance the action and to let the average viewer ID the enemy planes (yellow nose or yellow band on the tail = bad guys)

Other than that I wish they had choosen a more realistic color palette for the CG scenes instead of this tired dirty, grungie, over burnt FPS style.

And am I seeing internal wing armament (2:00 to 2:01)on those presumably G model 109s? Poor resolution, can't see if there is a gondola there or just some wing bulge.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

And am I seeing internal wing armament (2:00 to 2:01)on those presumably G model 109s? Poor resolution, can't see if there is a gondola there or just some wing bulge.

Some of the C/D/E variants had a single internal machine gun or cannon in each wing. The one in the trailer definately has the tell tale bulge holding the ammo for the 20mm mg ff cannon. Guns in the wings was stopped in the F series onward.

At 22 seconds in the trailer 4 BF-109s are seen each with a different paint scheme.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Ah yes--aviation and WWII buffs will almost certainly want to tear Lucasfilms a new one, if they don't make sure they dot their i's and cross their t's so to speak. Considering that there's just so much information on this period of history--and how readily available it is--for things like unit markings, plane types used during certain years, etc...

ed: see, I found this in about 20 secs:

"The Tuskegee Airmen initially were equipped with Curtiss P-40s, briefly with Bell P-39 Airacobras (March 1944), later with Republic P-47 Thunderbolts (June–July 1944), and finally with the aircraft with which they became most commonly identified, the North American P-51 Mustang (July 1944)."

an' it's on wikipedia, so it must be true, duh huh! :p

Edited by reddsun1

Some of the C/D/E variants had a single internal machine gun or cannon in each wing. The one in the trailer definately has the tell tale bulge holding the ammo for the 20mm mg ff cannon. Guns in the wings was stopped in the F series onward.

Exactly my point. By the time P-51Ds (as in that clip) appeared over Germany, no Luftwaffe front line Gruppes were equipped with E/F or even early G variants anymore. And from the spinner and port supercharger intake on that 109, it was definitely post E.

Anyway, after that clip, I do want to fire up my IL-2 1946.... too bad I am not at home.

Are they going to leave out the P-47 and Fw-190 in this entire movie?

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

F-ZeroOne,

I remember hearing that there was a helluva controversy over a detail of Guy Gibson's depiction in this remake; as concerning the historically accurate but utterly UN-'P.C.' naming of his labrador dog, the squadron mascot. :unsure::rolleyes:<_<:o

The original movie, BoB and "Sink the Bismark" were among my all-time favorites as a kid!

I feel the same way too. Not only have I read about them, I've had great fun flying their missions in the IL-2 Sturmovik campaign "White Sun, Blue Sky." It was just electrifying tearing into Japanese bomber formations with only a handful of P-40s.

And we're all in luck -- John Woo is directing a film about them! There was talk he was trying to get Liam Neeson to play Chennault, and the film will be shot in IMAX. I think it is currently in production in China, but there doesn't seem to be much news about it. From comments Woo has made, it sounds like it will focus more on the China Air Composite Wing than on the original American Volunteer Group, but that's fine by me -- the CACW probably has fascinating stories too.

I'm hoping it won't be entirely a CGI fest though. Looking at the Red Tails trailer, I think it looks cool but also phony as poo. Nothing compares to real footage of real planes like in Battle of Britain.

Nonetheless I'm also hoping that Red Tails does well commercially. If it bombs, it could put this Flying Tigers project in jeopardy, as well as other projects like The Dambusters.

Edited by Daigoro