Another Earth

Is it wrong that as soon as I see that Other Earth in the sky the first thought I has, "Well, there go the tides."?

Yeah, I was trying not to let the physics geek in me get out to respond to this one. So far, he's been easy to suppress. This is one of those cases where you'll have to just ignore things like that to even have a chance at enjoying the story.

This is an indie film in the true sense. 3 room mates raised the funding, produced and 1 of them directed it. It made big waves at the Sundance film festival and Fox picked it up. They also made The Sound of My Voice which was picked up by Warners. Getting 2 movies picked up by studios in Sundance is quite a feat.

My willingness to forgive major oversights in science is proportional to the cuteness of the female lead :p .

You can see Brit in an episode of Community where her and Britta thought that the other was a lesbian and they used each other to show people they were so open minded... they ended up in a lip lock towards the end... :p two thumbs up.

Why?

I cannot overlook the physics aspect of this no matter how hard I try. Sorry, but this should be a disaster film of mega proportions.

Noriko's post pretty much sums up my reasoning for thinking this movie is going to suck. Unless there's one Hell of an explanation for there being two Earths, THAT CLOSE to each other, without each of them colliding with one another, then the plot becomes silly, IMO.

You have to have a certain amount of suspension of disbelief, and I don't think I'd be able to do that with this film.

-Kyp

Agree with Noriko.

However if this is converted into a fictional action style, I say the movie will end up with Earth no.2 being nuclear bombarded with the rule "there's not enough room for two Earth in this Universe". :lol:

First impression: chick flick with a little sci-fi thrown in?

I thought the same thing.

I think the second Earth is going to be a back burnered kind of thing for most of the movie.

Edited by Chewie

I cannot overlook the physics aspect of this no matter how hard I try. Sorry, but this should be a disaster film of mega proportions.

I cannot overlook the fact that we are supposed to have sympathy for this broad obviously drunk off her ass, gets behind the wheel, kills the guys kid and pregnant wife, then comes back to apoligize, can't even come clean, lies like a coward, and they fall in love....

You know compared to that B.S. suddenly another planet popping up in near orbit doesn't seem all that far fetched. All I know is if the drunk driver that killed my family showed up at my house I'd put a couple of shells from my double barreled shotgun between their eyes.

Okay, even if I'd be willing to suspend disbelief for a bit on this premise, I still only got as far as "Another world...another you" before I got to thinking: okay, this could get downright juvenile, pretty quick.

There'd probably be a bit of a race to develop inexpensive and maybe even portable technologies to allow people to locate--probably even see, like google earth or something--themselves on the alternate Earth.

You know that'd lead to a bunch of angst ridden [or just plain hooning] folks waiting until the most likely time that their other self would be finding them through some high powered super-high-res live feed telescoping system--just so they can flip themselves the bird, or flash themselves, pun intended [hah! how about 'another moon' for ya, buddy?].

After reading this, I was immediately reminded of "Contact".

Haha, totally....that was with Jodie Foster right? And who's the other nut? Matthew something....

Haha, totally....that was with Jodie Foster right? And who's the other nut? Matthew something....

I don't remember. I only remember Gary Busey playing the religious nutjob who suicide-bombed the first construct.

The difference being, Contact wasn't that bad. I have no hopes for this movie to be even that salvagable.

Contact was good until the ending... lol. It really knocked things down several notches. It went from "pretty good" to "okay". I agree, this movie looks like it's gonna be a giant yawn-fest.

I cannot overlook the fact that we are supposed to have sympathy for this broad obviously drunk off her ass, gets behind the wheel, kills the guys kid and pregnant wife, then comes back to apoligize, can't even come clean, lies like a coward, and they fall in love....

You know compared to that B.S. suddenly another planet popping up in near orbit doesn't seem all that far fetched. All I know is if the drunk driver that killed my family showed up at my house I'd put a couple of shells from my double barreled shotgun between their eyes.

I agreee 100%

I don't remember. I only remember Gary Busey playing the religious nutjob who suicide-bombed the first construct.

That was Gary's son Jake, actually.

Let's see, she probably has no prior criminal record... check, upper-middle class-ish ... check, not-dark-skinned... check, yep the punishment for drunk driving & vehicular manslaughter sounds about right :D .

but ok, back on topic.... seriously guys, you can't forgive the scientific premise of this movie, yet we are ok with transforming aircraft and giant robots that duel with beam swords? :p

Let's see, she probably has no prior criminal record... check, upper-middle class-ish ... check, not-dark-skinned... check, yep the punishment for drunk driving & vehicular manslaughter sounds about right :D .

but ok, back on topic.... seriously guys, you can't forgive the scientific premise of this movie, yet we are ok with transforming aircraft and giant robots that duel with beam swords? :p

What, you don't think that we'll have the ability to construct those kinds of things at some point in the future? This movie is set in present-day, and we're nerd-raging over the complete violation of the laws of planetary motion. Deal with it B))

I think the planet collision disaster movie are quite the trend now, anyone else watch "Melancholia" trailer?

Melancholia (2011), "Two sisters find their relationship challenged as a nearby planet threatens to collide into the Earth. "

Maybe it got something to do with the creep at Zeta Talk which predict planetary collision between Earth and supposed stray planet (planet X or Nibiru).