Moscato Cat's Eye 1:72 - Custom SAR

PetarB

That is insane! Is this a custom scratch build kit, too? That paint scheme....

Just unbelievably well done!

It's a scratchbuild kit from our own macrossworld master Captain America/John Moscato. Like many of his creations it was available as a limited resin kit.

Mr Cheng, I haven't seen any of your work for some time... :p Please come and blow us all out of the water again soon.

You are the master now! My daughter now has taken up all my free time. Been able to satisfy my modelling bug lately on a few SciFi movies (Resident Evil, The Thing, Total Recall & Pacific Rim) by building 1:1 scale models for sets - but that takes up all my time now. Look for Macross design cues in the sets of those films! In fact, they just interviewed me on my latest set on Total Recall where they asked for my inspirations and I mentioned Shoji Kawamori and Macross. If you want to see me, I think its called "Hollywood Builders: constructing Total Recall" - 1 hr special probably sometime next year on DIY Network and Discovery Channel (my guess is close to when Total Recall comes out to theatre). It will probably be on the Total Recall DVD/BR special features.

I hope after Pacific Rim I might get back to finish up painting that SDF-1 toy and it probably will be a few years before I get back into modelling again - for the time being, I'm just a model kit/box collector! Or whenever you get around to that 1/72 Hikaru and Mimay in the VT-1 with her helmut off - my VT-1 kit is waiting for your pilots! ;-)

In the meantime, keep up the amazing work, I can live vicariously through you!

• 7 months later...

I've looked for more information on this plane for over ten years. It was one of my favorite designs from Macross. Once I get home I'll archive these pics and maybe do a scratch build of my own. Incidentally, if anyone has one of these beauties they wouldn't mind parting with, I'm looking to buy.

Hi Petar,

Great job on this! I love this kind of realistic take on these subjects! I have a couple of questions for you - the Banner photo, did I understand correctly that you shot it outside? Were the rest of the shots taking in-doors with a background and some light arrangement? They look great. I've been looking for the Minmay Special kit - did you scavenge from that kit for the decals or did you find an after-market decal set?

Thanks!

Hi Casey

The banner photo was shot outside. I wanted it to look 'realistic' so I went for a high-contrast view with a composition similar to what you'd see in real life - the aircraft itself has a beautiful shape from this angle too. The rest of the shots were taken in my studio which has a light-tent. The Minmay decal was scavenged from the Minmay 2009 Special kit - it's included but not necessary for the kit, so it's like a big 'bonus' decal, and I was trying to work out how to use it. The rest of the decals are either custom made (SAR-479, "Sear And Rescue + the age of my three girls at the time of building this) or pulled from my growing pile of option and spare decals.