Captain Planet movie

I do so love the cartoonish and utterly stupid potrayals such as (per the Wikipedia):

Looten Plunder (voiced by James Coburn in 1990–1992, Ed Gilbert in 1993-1995) - A wealthy poacher and greedy businessman who represents the evils of uncontrolled capitalism and unethical business actions, his name is even a reference of the phrase "Loot and Plunder". Looten is also shown to have a nephew named Robin Plunder as seen in the episode "Going Bats, Man". Like his uncle, his name refers to "Rob and Plunder".

Hah. Uncontrolled Corporatism, perhaps. Capitalism? Not even remotely close.

Yea, I doubt the new incarnation will be any better than the previous one. I also find irony in the idea of the massive promotions that will come with this, toys, comics et al. Nothing like propaganda to make the rugrats happy.

When I first read this on Dark Horizons I thought it said *Captain Power* live action film to be made.

Imagine that. "Captain Planet and the Soldiers of the Future" LAM

Back in the day it was cheesy and not a personal favorite (I don't even know anybody that actually liked either). The nostalgia factor can't even compensate for it's awfulness. If it ever makes it past preproduction, I doubt this project will break even, let alone be a major hit. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, I'll admit the show just plain sucked when it was on. :p

Edited by VT 1010

For a childrens animated program it had a pretty accurate depiction of how industrialists and developers could not give a stuff about the environment.

A movie about a cartoon that wanted to help the planet but that a lot of people in the Internet hate in a visceral way. Yes please!!

And Renato is right. That guy IS Ma-Ti.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLANET!

Edited by Twoducks

For a childrens animated program it had a pretty accurate depiction of how industrialists and developers could not give a stuff about the environment.

Eh, just to quibble for a moment. Its CORPORATIONS that don't (generally) give a rat's @ss about the environment, not individuals. That's because they are given a legal shield that prevents their shareholders from being held accountable for their actions. It also doesn't help that there are few places (if any left in the modern world) that respect private property...which means you can dispose of your property as you see fit but you do not have carte blanche to pollute your neighbor's air/water/land.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Back in the day it was cheesy and not a personal favorite (I don't even know anybody that actually liked either). The nostalgia factor can't even compensate for it's awfulness. If it ever makes it past preproduction, I doubt this project will break even, let alone be a major hit. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, I'll admit the show just plain sucked when it was on. :p

Hey, I liked it!! Okay, to be true we didn't have a lot of great morning cartoons here in Holland, so we had to make due. My kid brother even had the GeoCruiser playset. Should still be around here somewhere... I still miss the original ThunderCats though, one of the coolest cartoons from the late 80's early 90's. Well, the intro is ow my ringtone on my cellphone. :lol:

What was the saying again? Oh right...

"By your powers combined... I AM CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!!!!!" B)) B)) B))

From the people that brought us Transformers........are they serious?!?!? Has this thing been greenlit? Haha, I hope the same people do a Teletubbies movie.

Yea, I doubt the new incarnation will be any better than the previous one. I also find irony in the idea of the massive promotions that will come with this, toys, comics et al. Nothing like propaganda to make the rugrats happy.

Yes; nothing like uncontrolled capitalism to maximize profits off of a show/movie that purports to teach kids about the ills of uncontrolled capitalism...

"...New! At [insert fast-food chain here]! Captain Planet collectible figures! Available with any kids' meal, for a limited time only!"

You KNOW it'd happen, should this wretch-fest of a film idea ever see the light of day... <_<

Edited by reddsun1

Yes; nothing like uncontrolled capitalism to maximize profits off of a show/movie that purports to teach kids about the ills of uncontrolled capitalism...

Yea, but its not ACTUALLY Capitalism. Too many people today confuse Corporatism (aka Soft Fascism) with laissez-faire Capitalism. That is one of my complaints about the cartoon/franchise. It doesn't help that too many people with agendas use the term 'Free Market' to describe something that is anything BUT a Free Market.

Yea, but its not ACTUALLY Capitalism. Too many people today confuse Corporatism (aka Soft Fascism) with laissez-faire Capitalism. That is one of my complaints about the cartoon/franchise. It doesn't help that too many people with agendas use the term 'Free Market' to describe something that is anything BUT a Free Market.

Well, fine :p . If you're going to play semantics, then.

*confused look*

--What?

--'What' ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in 'What'?

--What?

--English, motherfu**er! Do you speak it?

--Yeah.

--So you understand the words I'm saying to you!

--Yeah.

--Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know.

--What?

--Say what again! Say what again! I dare you! I double dare you, motherfu**er! Say what one more time!