I saw Ray Manzarek at my very first concert ever. Echo and the Bunnymen at the Universal Amphitheater. He played the keyboards on "Bedbugs and Ballyhoo" and their cover of "People are Strange" for the Lost Boys soundtrack. Pretty fortunate to have caught him play live once in my life.

I saw Ray Manzarek at my very first concert ever. Echo and the Bunnymen at the Universal Amphitheater. He played the keyboards on "Bedbugs and Ballyhoo" and their cover of "People are Strange" for the Lost Boys soundtrack. Pretty fortunate to have caught him play live once in my life.

Was that your first concert ever? That's really not a bad start to one's live musical experiences. Echo and the Bunnymen is one of those bands that I consider forever underrated.

The Sound of the future!

Got the album on wednesday and have been listening to nothing else since. It's a strange blend of disco, pop, soul, and early 80's electronica, but it just works so well. Great stuff really.

That's really cool!

My first concert ever was They Might Be Giants at the Wiltern, with Galaxie 500 opening.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I've done an album review, so here it goes...

queensryche2013_zps54ea259b.jpg
Queensrÿche

Century Media Records, 2013

Produced by James Barton

Running Time: 35 minutes

Personnel

Todd La Torre: Lead vocals

Michael Wilton: Guitar

Parker Lundgren: Guitar

Eddie Jackson: Bass

Scott Rockenfield: Drums

Track Listing

1. X2

2. Where Dreams Go to Die

3. Spore

4. In This Light

5. Redemption

6. Vindication

7. Midnight Lullaby

8. A World Without

9. Don't Look Back

10. Fallout

11. Open Road

Washington state-based Queensrÿche was one of the pioneers of progressive metal music in the 1980s. In 1988, their concept album Operation: Mindcrime received critical acclaim for its tale of a junkie forced to commit assassinations through a mind-control drug. Their 1990 album Empire brought them mainstream success, with the ballad "Silent Lucidity" reaching the Billboard top 10 and its music video winning the Viewer's Choice Award at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards. But shortly after that success, Queensrÿche - like other hard rock and metal acts - got lost in the shuffle throughout the 1990s due to the advent of alternative music. The band attempted to adapt to grunge music, but with little or no success. In 1997, the band was dealt with two serious blows as guitarist/co-founder Chris De Garmo called it quits and their label EMI America went bankrupt. Since then, Queensrÿche had been struggling at smaller venues while releasing albums under different labels.

In 2012 - the 30th anniversary of Queensrÿche, after a heated argument and fight over the direction of the band's management, lead vocalist Geoff Tate was fired from the band. In retaliation, Tate sued his former band mates over the use of the Queensrÿche name. The Washington court ruled that both Tate and the band may use the Queensrÿche name until their final ruling on November 18, 2013. Early this year, Tate formed his version of Queensrÿche with different groups of veteran musicians and released Frequency Unknown, which was plagued with remixing problems and unanimously negative reviews. Meanwhile, the other party hired Todd La Torre as their new vocalist and spent more time in writing and recording their new album; and on June 24, Queensrÿche was released.

The result: A complete rebirth.

Queensrÿche brings the band back to its progressive metal roots, proving that it was Tate that held them back all along. The album brings back elements of the band's signature sound, such as dual guitar solos and harmonious choruses. La Torre behind the mic not only sounds like a younger Tate, he exceeds Tate's talent level by co-writing majority of the album. Such is demonstrated in the songs "Where Dreams Go to Die", "Redemption", "A World Without" and "Fallout".

Despite a short running time, Queensrÿche is the band's return to form that takes the best of their past and refines it for today's hard rock/metal audience. And it's proof that there is only one Queensrÿche.

Rating: A-

Links

Queensrÿche's Official Site

Queensrÿche's Official Facebook Page

• 1 month later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

hope you guys don't mind me sharing....

some 80's chicago house: (if you played street of rage (bare knuckles) yuzo koshiro's influence for the first title:)

Royal House

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I really liked Queensrÿche when I was in middle school/high school. They started to go downhill when they released Promised Land, though, and after Hear in the Now Frontier I quit listening to them altogether. A7's review isn't really doing anything to change my mind on that. While I could pop on Rage for Order now and love it, I love it because it was cool at the time. Music's moved on since the hair metal of the '80s, and when I see a couple of sad old guys past their prime playing a genre that hasn't really popular in 25-30 years, instead of being "Sweet, new Queensrÿche!" I think it's just sad.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I saw a few past posts w K-pop so i had to post a classic kpop:

so cheesy it's awesome:

Noise

Seo TaiJi

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Here's one of the greatest success stories in the music industry. In 1996, Steve Perry left Journey for good after a rock climbing accident forced the band to cancel its tour. For over a decade, the band struggled to fill the void left by Perry. Then, in 2007, band founder/guitarist Neal Schon did a YouTube search and discovered Arnel Pineda, a singer from the Philippines who lived most of his life covering classic pop/rock songs - especially Journey. Schon instantly hired Pineda to be Journey's new vocalist, and their 2008 album Revelation went platinum.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Another K pop classic from one of the group pioneers. Every Korean guy and girl knows this song.

DJ DOC

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, Natalie's awesome!

sharing 2 more... lurking this thread, using it for background music.

rare demo of skid row pre album

november rain first time ever pre-album

Guest davidwhangchoi

Going to lurk here for a while... love all the tunes... going to try to tackle the backlog by listening to 5 songs a day.

rare Dave Matthews Band

1st time recorded

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Queen is awesome. i went through dozens of songs on this thread the past hour... i'm going to get through all of them.

Stuck in my head

Crowded House cover