Shoji Kawamori "created" Macross: load of bull?

danth

Animerica 4:9 (1996) contains an interview with Noburo Ishiguro where he modestly downplays his involvement with SDF Macross. He said that he was too busy working on other projects at the time to focus on SDF Macross and credits the show's success to the young staff. He confessed that when the show's sponsors would ask him for status updates, he'd lie and say that everything was going well. In actuality, he didn't know how things were going because he spent most of his time working on other projects. Sorry isamu, but a published interview trumps your anecdote.

As far as Ishiguro's involvment with DYRL goes, all I can say is that we'll have that answer soon. ;)

Well all I know is what I was told from man himself. I see no reason why he would tell me that if it wasn't true. Why he supposedly downplayed it to that magazine is anyone's guess. Perhaps he just wanted to remain extremely modest about the whole thing at that particular time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always thought the creator of Macross was by two people, Shoji Kawamori and Haruhiko Mikimoto. While the mechas were very well designed, the thing i love and remember the most about the show was the characters.

You can tell a lot about people by their avatar.

indeed you can.

think what you may, but IRL, i'm actually NOT some random 29-come-30 (in JAN.) year-old man,

but actually a very attractive 17 year old, terra-cotta-haired young woman with big sweet doey Moe eyes...

indeed you can.

think what you may, but IRL, i'm actually NOT some random 29-come-30 (in JAN.) year-old man,

but actually a very attractive 17 year old, terra-cotta-haired young woman with big sweet doey Moe eyes...

You never answered me...if Mikuru is the "penultimate" expression of moe...then who's the "ultimate"?

You never answered me...if Mikuru is the "penultimate" expression of moe...then who's the "ultimate"?

i never answered you... as you had not asked me a question... until now.

anyway... i consider Mikuru-chan the "ultimate" Moe Anime lady myself,

but to many/most Anime fans out there, she is rather outclassed by today's standards.

so, when i claimed her "penultimate" i was merely being conservative, in my grand sweeping assertions, for the sake of diplomacy...

Edited by Shaorin

i never answered you... as you had not asked me a question... until now.

anyway... i consider Mikuru-chan the "ultimate" Moe Anime lady myself,

but to many/most Anime fans out there, she is rather outclassed by today's standards.

so, when i claimed her "penultimate" i was merely being conservative, in my grand sweeping assertions, for the sake of diplomacy...

This was a question, wasn't it...?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35559&view=findpost&p=933374

So, anyway...who do YOU consider the ultimate...?

This was a question, wasn't it...?

http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=933374

So, anyway...who do YOU consider the ultimate...?

Well, he's just told you! ^_^

[...]

anyway... I consider Mikuru-chan the "ultimate" Moe Anime lady myself,

"lotta mighty peculiar people hanging around this silly "IN-TER-NET" thing, ain't there, dear?"

ANYHOW... what say we get back to that argument over whether Kawamori-san is a divine engineering genius or a sinfully overrated, criminally under-talented hippie huckster?

remember to play nice now, kids...

Edited by Shaorin

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's already been stated in this thread a few times, but Macross like most shows (see: Code Geass...I'll get to that soon) was a collaborative effort. Kawamori did come up with the key concepts like the "battle city," the love triangle, and the Valkyries, probably others. But let's take a recent example: Code Geass. Taniguchi "created" Code Geass in the sense that he like Kawamori came up with the idea and was also the show's frontrunner, but Code Geass went through a lot of changes from Taniguchi's original concept to what we saw on the screen. A lot of changes at the staff level and at the executive level (Same thing happened with Macross for instance look at how the name Macross came about).

I think it's already been stated in this thread a few times, but Macross like most shows (see: Code Geass...I'll get to that soon) was a collaborative effort. Kawamori did come up with the key concepts like the "battle city," the love triangle, and the Valkyries, probably others. But let's take a recent example: Code Geass. Taniguchi "created" Code Geass in the sense that he like Kawamori came up with the idea and was also the show's frontrunner, but Code Geass went through a lot of changes from Taniguchi's original concept to what we saw on the screen. A lot of changes at the staff level and at the executive level (Same thing happened with Macross for instance look at how the name Macross came about).

Thing is, minute details like that aren't documented it seems. I wish I can read Japanese to know more, but reading this thread, I get the impression that Ishiguro merely lent his name to placate the show's investors but did very little else. For the rest of us who disagree just because our gut feeling tells us different is not enough. But are the subpar quality stories that succeed the original SDFM and DYRL enough, or they aren't important because they are merely fillers between the awesome dogfights and mecha battles?

• 4 weeks later...

In an entirely unrelated note I never knew that Kawamori was involved with Stardust Memory or Armored Core.

That really does explain the influences for the Destorids in Macross Zero. I always wondered why they had an AC look to them. Now it makes sense.

i heard that the designer of SDF - 1 is not kawamori...

but

http://en.wikipedia....zutaka_Miyatake

that explain everthing...

MACROSS is not by kawamori alone...that is for sure...!

That has never been at issue. Miyatake designed most of the non-transforming mecha, including the Macross and capital ships.

Kawamori is one of the team who created the series and including Miyatake and Mikimoto was one of the few to return to the franchise (granted kicking and screaming at first) post SDFM.

Gubaba can you confirm kicking and screaming from those two artists?

I defer to your expertise.

Kawamori was the reluctant one. He was finished with Macross but was drawn back in with the promise of funding for his script, which started out as a non-macross story of two pilots but was greenlit as a Macross property.

Gubaba feel free to confirm what most of us already know... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

That really does explain the influences for the Destorids in Macross Zero. I always wondered why they had an AC look to them. Now it makes sense.

Wasn't the Cheyenne designed by Junya Ishigaki? Who also returned to do the Cheyenne II in Macross Frontier?

Yeah Ishigaki designed the Destroid Cheyenne. You can find all the lineart for it in his latest book Robo no Ishi. The Cheyenne started off as a four wheeled platform with a robot torso and evolved into the two legged robot it is today. Some of the designs had wheels and some did not.

The joke is nearly any modern robot can be said to look like it belongs in Armored Core. Kawamori's position as the director in conjunction with his work on Armored Core makes for an interesting connection.

• 1 month later...

Here is what I've heard the original ideas was called mega road but one of the producers big west was in love with Macbeth( for what ever the reason only rumor) so they compromised called it macross. The three zentradi guys are suppose to be the big three contributor of macross ( Kawamori, Mikimoto, noburo Ishiguro) they gave them a funny name sorry can't recall anyway the original design for the fighter were "breast fighters " and it was suppose to be more tongue and cheek but with the three together there was kind of a creative mix for area sKawamori wasn't experienced enough like directing and character design. Honestly I think he can be a genius but he needs to use common sense when it comes to naming a fighter his second choice is much better I just assume he was young and it was a unrefined idea. Anyway hope that was useful.

wiki has the article on the original concept behind the breast fighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF-1_Valkyrie

Naming of Macross link

http://www.animeigo.com/liner/out-print/macross-tv-series#3

Animerica 4:9 (1996) contains an interview with Noburo Ishiguro where he modestly downplays his involvement with SDF Macross. He said that he was too busy working on other projects at the time to focus on SDF Macross and credits the show's success to the young staff. He confessed that when the show's sponsors would ask him for status updates, he'd lie and say that everything was going well. In actuality, he didn't know how things were going because he spent most of his time working on other projects. Sorry isamu, but a published interview trumps your anecdote.

As far as Ishiguro's involvment with DYRL goes, all I can say is that we'll have that answer soon. wink.gif

So I've committed a forum faux pas by quoting myself, but I think in this case it was worth it, because we now have have an answer as to how involved Noburo Ishiguro was with DYRL.

Ishiguro held a Q&A panel at Otakon 2011 and I got to ask him that question myself. The complete transcript can be found in the link below. But if you just want to want to read the question and Ishiguro's response, hit CTRL + F on your keyboard and do a search for "Attendee 7"

http://www.macrossworld.com/595/noburo-ishiguro-at-otakon-2011/

Ishiguro also shared lots of other interesting tidbits in his panel, so I recommend reading the whole thing if you've got the time. :)

So I've committed a forum faux pas by quoting myself, but I think in this case it was worth it, because we now have have an answer as to how involved Noburo Ishiguro was with DYRL.

Ishiguro held a Q&A panel at Otakon 2011 and I got to ask him that question myself. The complete transcript can be found in the link below. But if you just want to want to read the question and Ishiguro's response, hit CTRL + F on your keyboard and do a search for "Attendee 7"

http://www.macrosswo...at-otakon-2011/

Ishiguro also shared lots of other interesting tidbits in his panel, so I recommend reading the whole thing if you've got the time. :)

Awesome. Thank you!