So wait there's a scumbag pedo with a get out of statutory rape free card who has no problem talking smack to a father in this POS movie?

That's an... interesting take on things. It's a three-year age difference(17 and 20(Yes, I started the movie to check that. No, I didn't watch but the one scene. )). They're BOTH children, far as I'm concerned(damn whippersnappers, get off my robo-lawn!).

They've been dating since they were BOTH in high school.

I'd argue that insisting that the instant he turns 18 he has to dump his girlfriend and go get with a college chick like the rest of the grownups is actually worse than providing a highly limited exemption to sexual assault charges.

Certainly, there was no need to toe the line there. Whether she's 17 or 18, she's still a high school senior, so it makes no material difference to the shambling mess of a plot(in more ways than one, actually*) and Bay is actively stirring up drama, but the exemption actually exists, and does precisely so that two dumb teens DON'T wind up being criminals because they didn't have the self-restraint to keep it in their pants. Pretty sure the state legislature would frown on using said exemption for dad-taunting, though.

I think the specific wording they're using is from a different state, though. As it stands now, Texas law is both simpler and more permissive than the movie claims, so it's not really a problem(in more ways than one*). But it's worth noting that the boyfriend was receiving dubious legal advice.

The best part? They're taking the complicated (and inexplicably controversial) loophole when there's a far easier way out of this mess.

*Age of consent in Texas is 17. Not 18, as her dad believes. She IS 17.

Basically, they've already won. She's totally legal. His grandstanding is missing the forest for the trees. He could throw his inaccurate quick-reference card in the trash and forget it ever existed.

And yes, I did hit the state's website and pull up the penal code chapters 21(sexual offenses) and chapter 22("assaultive offenses") because of Micheal Bay. My browser history is now somewhat worrisome, incidentally.

Transformers: How did we get here?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. If you are a high school girl, or are dating one, please check with a real lawyer first.

Dude the fact that they started dating in highschool makes it a bit worse. He's 3 years older than her so the first time they could overlap would be when he was a 17 year old junior and her a 14 year old freshman. So he was age of consent, but she never was. That's kinda messed up.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Dude the fact that they started dating in highschool makes it a bit worse. He's 3 years older than her so the first time they could overlap would be when he was a 17 year old junior and her a 14 year old freshman. So he was age of consent, but she never was. That's kinda messed up.

I thought about that too when I rented the movie last week. A 3 year age difference for an adult couple is nothing. When your both still kids each year sets you further part in physical and mental maturity.

I had something more typed here, then bumped ctrl-Q instead of ctrl-tab and killed it all. It's probably for the best.

In any case, the movie says she was a sophomore and he was a senior when they started dating.

She has a summer birthday(since she's 17 "now" and just a few weeks from graduation), so would have been 15 her entire sophomore year. He was either 17 or 18, depending on when they started dating.

If they were both currently in high school, it would've been okay, as long as it's merely implied subtly.

If they were both out of high school, it would've been totally okay.

Even maintaining that same 2-3 year difference in both cases.

I just don't see there being a real problem.

It's not a letter of the law issue, since the letter of the law says it's fine.

It's not a spirit of the law issue, since the spirit of the law is "adults should not go around picking up schoolkids" and he wasn't.

There's probably far better reasons for "actively hoping somebody kills Michael Bay" than "because he made a movie implying that two dumb teens can't keep it in their pants." Like... the first Bayformers movie, in it's entirety.

Incidentally, the "Romeo law" wouldn't have actually helped the "real" Romeo.

Juliet was 13, and COMPLETELY out of bounds by modern Texas law, which bans relations with anyone under 14, no exceptions. It is fortunate for us that Shakespeare did not live in 21st century Texas.

But that's even more wildly off-course.

Yeah, that whole dating aspect really could and should have been left out of the movie entirely. Besides, there are so many other things that could be used as fodder for hatred against Bay.

I also agree that Transformer fans are fiercely loyal, but by definition so are most fans, including those of Macross.

-b.

Let them make their own mistakes and cut the umbilical cord. Once we stop jailing people for miniscule garbage we can use those tax dollars for something worth a darn like fixing our roads, feeding the poor, fight global warming, clean our environments, hand out medication to people that need them, disaster relief, and probably some other stuff I am not thinking about off the top of my head.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Let them make their own mistakes and cut the umbilical cord. Once we stop jailing people for miniscule garbage we can use those tax dollars for something worth a darn like fixing our roads, feeding the poor, fight global warming, clean our environments, hand out medication to people that need them, disaster relief, and probably some other stuff I am not thinking about off the top of my head.

Let protoforms be protoforms, and focus on restoring the Allspark and rebuilding Cybertron, basically?

Wait, they've both been blown up.

Yes, the rule exists to protect high school sweethearts, the end.

Let's not troll this one to death...

The obvious argument here is WHY is the movie focusing on this, instead of bad arse transforming living robots from space...

The inevitable answer is: because M. Bay

Oh, and JBO, lol, you nailed it. So was cybertron really destroyed? So these autobots are ambitious but rubish...(maybe Jezza, Hamster, And Capt Slow were driving the "autobots")

Edited by vlenhoff

Oh, and JBO, lol, you nailed it. So was cybertron really destroyed? So this autobots are ambitious but rubish...

Crazy Prime keeps his word. He promised to protect humanity. He never promised to stop Megatron and Sentinel from imploding their homeworld.

Though the actual state of Cybertron is only implied. Only person willing to say anything was teenage girl in Age of Extinction, and she said "They don't have a home. It got blown up." (Some lines are memorably bad. This is one of them.)

As she is not an astronaut, nor a Cybertronian, nor a high-ranking government official, I take her evaluation of the situation with a grain of salt. But it looked pretty bad for Cybertron at the end of Dark of the Moon. If not destroyed, it's at least pretty solidly wrecked.

And they ALREADY had the "our planet is dead, without the Allspark Cube all hope is gone" issue. And Prime used THAT as a knife and vaporized it to heck way back in '07(And that was after Sam IMPROVED the plan). Even if Cybertron is still MOSTLY intact... it's still a dead world incapable of sustaining life. And it's ALL CRAZY PRIME'S FAULT.

Worst Autobot leader EVER. And he won that title against Grimlock and Hot Rod, for Primus' sake!

Basically once they run out of spark they are all gonna look like burnt out toaster ovens.

Bam!!! The end, oh but wait Bay will dream up some crap that will fix that.

Oh look they didn't destroy the real Cybertron that was the spare one. Oh and Megatron isn't now called Galvatron, and he no longer transforms into an accident in the cutlery draw or a pile of metal cubes.

Edited by big F

Basically once they run out of spark they are all gonna look like burnt out toaster ovens.

Bam!!! The end, oh but wait Bay will dream up some crap that will fix that.

Oh look they didn't destroy the real Cybertron that was the spare one. Oh and Megatron isn't now called Galvatron, and he no longer transforms into an accident in the cutlery draw or a pile of metal cubes.

*Fingers Crossed* for multiple Cybertrons.

The sight of hardcore and casual fans alike sh!tting bricks would be worth it.

-b.

You guys totally missing the point that space bridgeing a planet next to earth, wouldn't exactly just sit calmly

Next to us. That whole physics thing. Obviously not a study of Bay's, made so by Armaggedon

Indeed. It wasn't noted by Dark of the Moon, but WAS by the 80s cartoon. As I believe even Bay is more intelligent than THAT(and Dark of the Moon was CLEARLY written by someone that had seen the cartoon), I assume that the effects of the space bridge were preventing Cybertron from exerting an immediate tidal effect on Earth.

Which is also why Cybertron would implode in the bridge instead of merely being cut in two when the bridge closed across the part that was already through.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Nope. No way I'm getting into a scientific debate as it concerns two factions of mass-shifting-sentient-homicidal robots from outer space.

I'll just watch you guys go at it. :ph34r:

Besides my enjoyment (or whatever) of these movies is pure popcorn, I like seeing things get blown up by the military, by random humans that happen to be in the right place at the right time and by said mass-shifting-sentient-homicidal robots.

-b.

Yup I always thought the cartoon delt with it well, pushing a near earth sized object into the orbit distance of the moon would cause utter chaos, to say the least. Tidal shearing and techtonic plate movement, probably partial atmospheric loss, to say the least. Purfect for energon production.

I kinda thought that Cybertron hadn't fully come through the space bridge, so may be it still didn't have full mass, so Mr Bay dodges a physics issue. Doesn't mean I'll let him off the hook though. I'd quite like to see him sent through the space bridge, to some where dangerous, like Quintison or just deep space.

Edited by big F

And the movie will flop and everybody will say: "see? only Bay's genious can make these crap scripts sell tickets" or "see? only the curiosity of seeing how more stupid Bay can make things is what sells tickets" or...

I'm wondering with all these "transformers are dangerous" posters, why hasn't anyone spoofed it with an old g1 rocket launcher toy to a kids eye?

I had a couple close calls as a kid lol.

just get g2 Optimus there with his twin cannons and BLAM!