Interview with May'n for her UNITE! Concert Tour

vanpang

May'n held her last concert of her UNITE Asian Concert Tour in Singapore on 4 June 2011, after her very sucessful and sold-out concerts in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Seoul, Taipei and Hong Kong. She was also in Singapore for the International Premiere of her 3D Documentary Movie "May'N the Movie - Phonic Nation" on 6 June 2011. The movie was written and composed by May'n herself.

Fellow Macross fans, James and Boon were able get an interview with May'n on 3 June 2011. The organizers were able to arrange for Maki-San and Aiko-San to assist in the translation for May'N during the interview. The following is the extract from the interview with May'n held on 3 June 2011:-

Note: May’n’s answers were conveyed through her translators thus certain replies may be lost in translation.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MAY’N (THE GALAXTIC FAIRY HERSELF)

Q : In the Nyan Kuri video clip, for the song ‘Northern Cross’. There was a posting saying that It was May’n san using a ‘motion capture’ device to choreograph Sherly Nome’s movement.

May’n : Yes that’s right.

Q : Was it fun?

May’n : Yes. I decided to do a much sexier version. Half way through I’d suddenly realized that I’ve might made it way too sexy and it’s too late to stop (middle of recording). Should I spread my legs or not!!

Note : When May’n gets ‘into’ her songs, she puts herself into the character and in this case – Sherly who is daring and sexy!

Q : How about the song ‘KINKAN NO ELIXIR’ which was featured in MACROSS FRONTIER 2nd Movie : Sayonara No Tsubasa?

May’n : For that one they only asked me to do a sexy dance.

Q : How was your experience working with the director Shoji Kawamori? Was he a difficult person to work with?

May’n : Mmm… not particularly. What I remembered about him was he’s like an energetic teenager, always thinking about his work on Macross Frontier, no matter what he was doing, even when he’s doing stretching exercise! If an idea suddenly pops up he would grab anything he can lay his hands on and scribbled it down – ‘Oh hey! I can use this for the story!’ It’s like 24 hours none stop!

DSC01723.jpg

Q : Your new album sounded very much different from your 2nd album ‘Styles’ Can you tell us a bit of this album, like how you choose the songs, what concept or message that you wish to bring to your fans?

May’n : There are some songs that did not manage to make it to my previous album, and are now in this current one. I’ve decided to use the song ‘'IF YOU WISH FOR'(moshimo kimi ga negau no nara)’ from the opening song of the game : VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 3 as the title for my album because the songs in this album lets you feel different emotions. IF YOU are happy then you will feel like this, IF YOU feel sad, you will feel like this.

Q : Is there any particular song that you liked or meaningful in the album above the rest?

May’n : Hmmm. Yes. In the game VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 3, the main character was very courageous and so I dedicated a song to him. ‘HERO’

Q : For the music video for the title song, was it shot in a forest or in a studio set?

May’n : It was shot on location, in a forest. It took the whole day to shoot and it was very cold!!!

Note : It’s easier to shoot in a studio with a fake forest than on location because you are then at the mercy of the environment.

DSC01715.jpg

Q: I really like your LIVE ALIVE book. I found it to be very interesting in the sense that it not only showed what May’n san does on stage but also off stage. Could you just briefly walk us through the book?

May’n : The first part is about my concerts

Hence the title LIVE, LIVE, LIVE

May’n : Then, there is an article about my 1st project in collaboration with a ‘Taiyaki’ shop ‘HIRAGE’ where I’m appointed as the Ambassador and the origin of how it came about. Many of my fans in Japan liked this article.

Note : Taiyaki literally means baked sea bream. It’s a waffle like pastry shaped like a fish.

DSC01743.jpg

Q : Why does May’n san like the ‘Taiyaki’ over other types of food?

May’n : In Japan, the ‘Taiyaki’ comes in many shapes, some look like a teenager and some look like a ‘Madam’. Each has its own characteristics and when I looked at them, I feel like I want to collect them all!

Q: Does May’n san like the red bean ones or the ones with other flavors?

May’n : The standard one will always be AZUKI (red beans). Depending on the environment, like where there’s clean water and fresh air, the red beans will taste different. So from North to South of Japan, the taste is different.

Q : There’s a section in the book that mentioned about your younger sister. How many years is she younger than you?

May’n : She’s four years younger.

Q : So, does she aspire to be a singer like her famous sister?

May’n : I’m not sure if she want to follow in my footsteps as she’s still very young but when we were kids, we used to sing together. I’m sure she enjoys music very much.

DSC01717.jpg

As we were short of time, I skipped to my last question.

Q: In your UNITE Asia Tour, which is about uniting everyone through music. How successful have it been in achieving that goal?

May’n : The UNITE concert was my idea and I would like to make Asia more united. Already I’ve gone to five countries with this tour and what I’ve experienced from all this is that no matter what the language they speak, they can all do the same smile, sing the same songs, dance together and that music CAN unite everyone.

That concludes our interview with May’n san and thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to talk to us. Thank you so much. See you at the concert!

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

We would like to thank May’N, her manager, Yukinobu Yatabe-san and interpreters, Aiko-San and Maki-San, for allowing us to take their precious time for the interview. It was a fun and engaging interview.

Special thanks also go to Mr. Shawn Chin of Sozo Pte Ltd, Ms. Lim Wee Ling, Ms. Ms Jacquelyn Tan and Ms. Tamana Ramchandani of Asia PR Werkz for arranging the interview.

Thanks for the great interview!

May’n : Mmm… not particularly. What I remembered about him was he’s like an energetic teenager, always thinking about his work on Macross Frontier, no matter what he was doing, even when he’s doing stretching exercise! If an idea suddenly pops up he would grab anything he can lay his hands on and scribbled it down – ‘Oh hey! I can use this for the story!’ It’s like 24 hours none stop!

lolkawamori :lol:

Excellent work, and I should raise a toast for this one (make that cold-brewed Tiger). ;)

BTW, better start watermarking the pics, because this is an exclusive.

Hi, thanks :) I would join you for a Tiger Beer next time :)

wow great interview! thanks.

Thanks Bub for the compliments :) !

Thanks for the great interview!

lolkawamori :lol:

Ha ha ! yes Kawamori-San been working really hard :) !

Nice interview - must have been a great experience!

Thanks Buddy. Appreciate your help earlier :) !

Is it me or does she resemble Mari with that style of hair cut? Looks quite different from when I saw her at AX last year

Yes Mari-san does have a similar hair cut. May'N had longer hair when we saw her at AFAX in 2010. Her hair is shorter this round and she looks better!

Awesome interview. This is the kind of things that I see here that I always feel why we should have a main page. Instead it gets buried as just another thread. Gonna have to ask Shawn what the deal is.

Awesome interview. This is the kind of things that I see here that I always feel why we should have a main page. Instead it gets buried as just another thread. Gonna have to ask Shawn what the deal is.

Suggestion: News updates can be put in a blog form (preferably Wordpress) so it's easy to add information on the go. Besides being highly customizable, the blog can also act as the main page. :)

Suggestion: News updates can be put in a blog form (preferably Wordpress) so it's easy to add information on the go. Besides being highly customizable, the blog can also act as the main page. :)

That's the plan, but our admin has gone AWOL...

he's still paying the bills and doing software updates though... can't complain (too much) :p

Hi guys many thanks for the compliments. The interview was done by my friends James and Boon. I was not able to attend the interview due to my work matters but luckily I was in time for the concert :)!