DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

Um, no it didn't. My argument is that the v1 VF-1 was more accepted/better looks-wise. I don't recall anyone saying the v1 VF-1 was too fat, not anime-accurate, not line-art-accurate, or anyone immediately hoping for a better-looking version in the future. There were 100-page threads arguing about the removable legs, but I don't recall anyone thought it was overall a bad-looking rendition and not nearly as good as it SHOULD have looked based on the company's prior work.

The v1 VF-25 was seen as fat, ugly, and inaccurate since the first pic, especially considering that it was going to be a flagship release from the great BANDAI. Even the 1/72 YF-19 was more "accepted".

Aw c'mon, you can't seriously stick to that argument. You should just laugh and move on. People were picking the Bandai chunky monkey and the Toynami MPC over the Yamato V1. I remember at least one member praising the 1/48 when it came out (was it Exo?) saying that they passed on all previous incarnations because THIS was the VF-1 toy they were waiting for. Again, you can completely unravel your statement by changing the order in which toy you're talking about. Both toys were totally surpassed by subsequent releases... and both toys had people pass and wait for subsequent releases, nothing strange there.

People didn't just settle for the v1 dx 25, they were gaga over it. They were vocal and hostile towards anyone who didn't think it was the bee's knees. I remember people saying how the DX was the true version of the 25 and how the show and the line art was wrong, how the DX was both faithful to the line art and better than it at the same time. How it was soooo much more posable than anything that yamato made, how having to move the shoulder at the "collar bone" transformation hinge because the actual shoulder joint was worthless was an innovation...on and on for pages and pages.

There was even a guy just recently putting up pictures talking about how great the v1 DX 25 is...

Edited by eugimon

To be fair, the overall "positive" reaction to Yamato's VF-1 v1 was largely due to the fact that at the time of its introduction it was the best rendition of the Valkyrie to date, and there were no other Macross mecha of comparable authenticity out there: the 1/55 from Bandai were good for their day but looked like bricks in comparison to the 1/60s, Toynami's MPC was just plain garbage, HCMs were smaller and looked like nothing more than moderate improvements on the 1/55s, and outside those and Yamato's own 1/72 and Bandai's 1/65 M7 VFs there wasn't much else to compare and contrast. Today, we've been spoiled with superior engineering and detail that aproach model kit standards in aesthetics... over a decade of steady upsmanship on Yamato's part, so when Bandai released their v1 VF-25s, which would have been lauded 10 years ago, they just did not live up to the modern standards expected by most collectors.

Shame on Bandai for misreading their customers' expectations... and why I passed on the v1s. Bravo to them for coming around and giving the fans of the Vf-25s the toy(s) they should have produced from the very beginning... my copy is in transit from AmiAmi right now and I can't wait to get by grubby paws on it to judge for myself if all the praise and complaints are warranted.

Edited by mechaninac

Aw c'mon, you can't seriously stick to that argument. You should just laugh and move on. People were picking the Bandai chunky monkey and the Toynami MPC over the Yamato V1. I remember at least one member praising the 1/48 when it came out (was it Exo?) saying that they passed on all previous incarnations because THIS was the VF-1 toy they were waiting for. Again, you can completely unravel your statement by changing the order in which toy you're talking about. Both toys were totally surpassed by subsequent releases... and both toys had people pass and wait for subsequent releases, nothing strange there.

uhh, dude.

you're just really making stuff up now with that bolded part.

how could you even dare say with a straight face that anybody here picked the MPC over the yammie-v1???

i don't even remember you here in this forum back when the yamato-v1 was introduced and all of us bought it and made the 1/55's over-inflated cost and value dropped like a lead balloon faster than speedy gonzales.

not even sure why you're even mentioning the 1/48 since it's not even the same scale and released far after the yammie-v1.

don't we have some timeline stuff here in the forum?

Macross Frontier is my favorite Macross series. I liked the way the v1 looked. I like the way v2 looks even better. I don't regret the v1 purchase, I had fun with it. Except the armor parts, I actually got angry with the way that stuff (doesn't) fit together.

uhh, dude.

you're just really making stuff up now with that bolded part.

how could you even dare say with a straight face that anybody here picked the MPC over the yammie-v1???

i don't even remember you here in this forum back when the yamato-v1 was introduced and all of us bought it and made the 1/55's over-inflated cost and value dropped like a lead balloon faster than speedy gonzales.

not even sure why you're even mentioning the 1/48 since it's not even the same scale and released far after the yammie-v1.

don't we have some timeline stuff here in the forum?

No, he's not making it up. There were some pretty brutal conversations going back and forth over the merits of the MPC vf-1 versus the 1/60 vf-1.

People didn't just settle for the v1 dx 25, they were gaga over it. They were vocal and hostile towards anyone who didn't think it was the bee's knees. I remember people saying how the DX was the true version of the 25 and how the show and the line art was wrong, how the DX was both faithful to the line art and better than it at the same time. How it was soooo much more posable than anything that yamato made, how having to move the shoulder at the "collar bone" transformation hinge because the actual shoulder joint was worthless was an innovation...on and on for pages and pages.

There was even a guy just recently putting up pictures talking about how great the v1 DX 25 is...

To be fair to all the people who may have loved their V1 VF-25 toys, I'm sure there were lots of people when the V1 VF-1 toy came out (and Toynami's MPCs, and just about every toy out there) that were super enthused at the first version of a toy that was released. People are people, they have different expectations. Some people expected more and were super let down at the first version of just about any toy that comes out (with tons of exceptions I'm sure). Some people are super thrilled and think the first group has expectations outside of possibility. In the end, a new product comes out and the whole world gets to move on. What's really cool for all of us Macross fans has been that the second efforts by these companies (sometimes third efforts) have been really outstanding. Sadly, I don't have my VF-25 'renewal' yet so I just get to sit here twiddling my fingers and lookin' at the pretty pictures.

I think the biggest sin of Bandai was they PREMEDITATEDLY DISREGARDED ALL THE AVAILABLE CG DATA, made the effort of designing a toy with different proportions and then thought we wouldn’t mind. Unfortunately for them we did mind, because at the same time they released the 1/72 kit with its almost perfect sculpt, so we knew it wasn’t the only way to make the toy but the laziest one.

I’m sure some people will tell me the DX toys line and the 1/72 kits were developed by different departments and I’ll answer to that saying that, even realizing one of those departments was more gifted than the other –and I can’t believe they didn’t see that- they committed the sin of not having encouraged something as simple as communication between departments, resulting in a not-as-good-as-possible product.

Probably the better way to say all that is simply to say they could –and they should- have done it better.

Beacuse most of us felt it would be our only option for a perfect transformation VF-25 toy at the time.

I mean, if you sorta squinted and held it at the right angle in low light, it kinda looked like a VF-25 :p

Graham

Exactly. I bought it because I am a MF sucka and I thought I would have no other choices in 7 years.

Not because I think it looks good, just because I want to have a 1/60 MF Squad.

I can't argue with people who ACTUALLY like their verson 1, but I would stand on my viewpoint that the version 1 was not up to the engineering standard at its time of release.

Got this thing from BBTS curious what shipping like from AmiAmi can they ship it SAL?

Sal is around 1,480 yen. At least that's what HLJ is charging and Amiami would be around the same.

Edit: I keep admiring it. Just such a great job by Bandai.

Edited by pud333

QC: Overall, my valk is in perfect shape. All joints are tight, no paint chips (or bad paint app in general) that I can really see. Only problem? One tiny part of the plastic where I have circled. The right side is the side that has no problems. The left side, however, you can see where the black paint is missing - that's not a paint chip. That's the actual plastic having been bent and folded down. Looks like someone at the factory used more force than necessary. Really, nothing to cry about since I figure I got lucky that it wasn't worse, and you don't really know unless you are looking for it. Awesome, awesome figure though. Can't wait for Ozma and some freaking armour!

IMG_4749-1.jpg

exact same problem as mine. It's been forced down, the plastic on mine was still there, in a blob. I had to shave it so there was no gap between cockpit and chestplate. I think yours was assembled/transformed by the same monkey as mine.

exact same problem as mine. It's been forced down, the plastic on mine was still there, in a blob. I had to shave it so there was no gap between cockpit and chestplate. I think yours was assembled/transformed by the same monkey as mine.

Yeah, the plastic is still there on mine, all garbled up. That's too bad, but it is what it is. Doesn't really bother me.

Still can't get over how beautiful the v.2 looks. Bandai defenitely nailed the looks with this one.

Just like Yamato did with the VF-19Kai.

Graham

Amen. I don't think I'll ever get tired of admiring and playing with it. It's by far my favorite valk, and will only be equaled by my Ozma when I get it.

Oh, did I mention that the wings are straight? :)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Amen. I don't think I'll ever get tired of admiring and playing with it. It's by far my favorite valk, and will only be equaled by my Ozma when I get it.

Oh, did I mention that the wings are straight? :)

-Kyp

Me too. Hopefully Bandai is convinced enough to consider VF-171 now

I liked the V1 at 1st because of the sculpt, as a toy it just didn't hold up. I thought that the MPC and Bandai 1/55's were much better toys, and I like to play with mine. Sculpt-wise, they couldn't hold a candle to the V1 1/60. The 1/48 became the toy to beat upon release. I got the 1/48 because it was the best we could get at the time by far, and 1/55's for nostalgia.

How much is it shipped from BBTS?

I need a laugh.

$219.18, BUT, they're one of the only places that has it in stock, and the cheapest placee right now is anime-export, which has it for $175 and it's on backorder, shipping when I checked was $39+ iirc. Basically, if you didn't preorder this thing from a Japanese retailer you were bound to pay more, and with the dollar weaker than the yen, BBTS' price for the 25F isn't bad, all things considered.

I only bought 1 (well 2 ver 1 VF25's) as I wasn't really interested at the time. But Standalone fighter I still think it looks ok. Even next to the ver 2. Now the battroid mode on the other hand.... man side by side its a world of difference. And the only reason I bought 2 ver 1's is it was an anger buy after my VF-25G tornado fell off the dresser and broke.

From one of those hobby magazines.. It says they decided to make Armored and Super Packs for renewal versions. No details yet.

Thanks man! Appreciate the info

Also, LOVE how this thing looks in GERWALK mode. Just unbelievably slick. I've had it sitting there like that for 3 days. Still haven't even put it in battroid mode...

Edited by hutch

Exactly. I bought it because I am a MF sucka and I thought I would have no other choices in 7 years.

Not because I think it looks good, just because I want to have a 1/60 MF Squad.

I can't argue with people who ACTUALLY like their verson 1, but I would stand on my viewpoint that the version 1 was not up to the engineering standard at its time of release.

I passed on the initial Alto and Ozma releases but ended up buying the Michael and Luca versions and later the slightly improved VF-25S with armor bundle because I also figured these were the only versions we'd get in a long long while if not the only versions ever. Didn't buy any of the Alto releases because I was so dissatisfied with the releases that I figured it just wasn't worth buying yet another ugly release. I decided that the armor pack at least hid enough of the deficiencies of the sculpt to get that and that was the last of the version 1's that I purchased and would one day buy Alto's if it was ever released in an acceptable form. I'm glad I did and have pre-ordered Ozma's as well. I'll wait and see on the 25G and RVF. I particularly want to see if they can finally make the RVF with matching shades of green. I totally regret my purchase of the original because the differing shades of green bother me a lot as they are so completely obvious to my eyes without even having to look for differences, despite some other people saying they can't really see it.

I passed on the initial Alto and Ozma releases but ended up buying the Michael and Luca versions and later the slightly improved VF-25S with armor bundle because I also figured these were the only versions we'd get in a long long while if not the only versions ever. Didn't buy any of the Alto releases because I was so dissatisfied with the releases that I figured it just wasn't worth buying yet another ugly release. I decided that the armor pack at least hid enough of the deficiencies of the sculpt to get that and that was the last of the version 1's that I purchased and would one day buy Alto's if it was ever released in an acceptable form. I'm glad I did and have pre-ordered Ozma's as well. I'll wait and see on the 25G and RVF. I particularly want to see if they can finally make the RVF with matching shades of green. I totally regret my purchase of the original because the differing shades of green bother me a lot as they are so completely obvious to my eyes without even having to look for differences, despite some other people saying they can't really see it.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for paint/plastic matching. The yf-29 is a mess of different shades of red.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for paint/plastic matching. The yf-29 is a mess of different shades of red.

That is true. The turret is a different shade of red than the other red plastic parts, or at least the back half of it is. I can forgive the painted areas being a different shade. I just think it's dumb when they can't be consistent with the color of the plastic.

they're kidding, right? 20 JPY discount? :wacko:

Amiami is losing. They banned my friend first for always ordering 3 of every item (He orders for me and another friend). After they allowed him back on, they banned him again for cancelling a pre-order. Aside the stupid large boxes, or the overly tight boxes where the goods inside get damaged, I think they can't handle the volumne of clients.

And yes, 20 Yen discount??? WTF...

Amiami is losing. They banned my friend first for always ordering 3 of every item (He orders for me and another friend). After they allowed him back on, they banned him again for cancelling a pre-order. Aside the stupid large boxes, or the overly tight boxes where the goods inside get damaged, I think they can't handle the volumne of clients.

And yes, 20 Yen discount??? WTF...

They banned someone for ordering TOO much! Wow! I know they really frown on the canceling thing, which is why I really have to be sure I want something before I pre-order something from them....but ordering too much is a new one!

Chris

Chris