DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

Ok, have to say... that has to be a new record for shipping.. I got my VF-25 60 hours or so after the shipment was initialized. Whee! And it's awesome.

Really ticked to hear about their freaking webshop addiction though. I can't believe they'd do that, after how stupidly popular the first run was despite its flaws.

Meh. Maybe there will be a chance for a group buy somewhere along the way, but I may hold out for an armored Ozma bundle anyway. Selling it alone doesn't mean it won't be bundled later. They're probably trying to cash in on the people who can't wait for a standalone Ozma, but don't want to piss them off by releasing a bundle later and making them rebuy the VF-25.

Hopefully patience will be rewarded. I almost wouldn't regret buying a second Ozma later though, this thing is a quantum leap above the old VF-25.

Edited by Chronocidal

And there I was, looking forward to an armored Ozma.

What's with this web exclusive BS? Their renewal versions are selling like there's no tomorrow and they release the damn armor set as WEB EXCLUSIVES?!

Every collector and their dog is gonna want an armor set for their Valks, so there's absolutely no chance of shelf-warming here. Good thing the VF-25F looks a good bare as it does armored.

Really worried about how they might decide to sell Luca's three Ghost units...that is, if the Valk itself isn't going to be a web exclusive.

Praying that they'll release Michail's VF-25G in the open market.

Edited by GU-11

Indeed.. I might have to go try and find a pre-order of Ozma anyway if that gets going. I still want the complete set this time though, so I hope they bundle Michael's and Luca's, or at least find a way to offer their packs as a non-exclusive.

One thing that kind of surprises me is that a few of the old super parts actually seem to fit on this one. The boosters use a similar clip-on joint, and a few of the back armor plates still line up with the new peg holes. They don't stay on tightly, but the pieces still fit where they need to. It looks like the old parts might still work with a few minimal mods to the attachment pegs... except for the legs. Those will need to be new I think.

Actually.. ok.. trying this.. and it fits. Not well, but the original leg packs line up nearly perfectly with the pegs under the wing gloves.. if you first put the legs down one click at the thigh, and up one at the knee. The attachment points are all extremely loose, and the piece for the back of the leg doesn't line up right, but the main leg packs nearly fit. The main change needed is for them to add a place for the ventral fin to fold into, since it sticks out the top of the leg now.

But yeah.. the boosters, back armor, and side leg packs fit almost exactly like they did on the v.1.

Got mine today, didn't really have any sloppy paint apps and only some very small Black paint chips that were quickly taken care of via a Black Sharpie ultra fine point marker. There's a tiny chip in the white paint on the lip of the main intake, that can be fixed super easy, other than that, it's perfect. Overall, much fewer paint issues than what I've seen posted in pictures thus far, so I count myself lucky.

Very well pleased with it, and can't wait for Ozma! I second what David said though, we need to set up Ozma armor group buys...ASAP. I will post pictures tomorrow of mine, very tempted to break out the Gundam marker on this, lol.

-Kyp

What's with this web exclusive BS? Their renewal versions are selling like there's no tomorrow and they release the damn armor set as WEB EXCLUSIVES?!

Every collector and their dog is gonna want an armor set for their Valks, so there's absolutely no chance of shelf-warming here. Good thing the VF-25F looks a good bare as it does armored.

Really worried about how they might decide to sell Luca's three Ghost units...that is, if the Valk itself isn't going to be a web exclusive.

Praying that they'll release Michail's VF-25G in the open market.

I'm fairly certain they're going to release the Renewal versions in the same way that they released the original DX-25's. Naked alto and Ozma versions first, then Luca and Michael's bundled with fast packs 3~6 months from now, then Reissue Alto and Ozma with their respective packs 3~6 months after that.

then Tornado bundles further down the line.

Ghosts may end up web shop items again this time.

anyways, At this point I'm waiting for the Michael Super VF-25G bundle to get in on these. Alternatively I'd like a VF-25A Mirage Knight :p

I'm fairly certain they're going to release the Renewal versions in the same way that they released the original DX-25's. Naked alto and Ozma versions first, then Luca and Michael's bundled with fast packs 3~6 months from now, then Reissue Alto and Ozma with their respective packs 3~6 months after that.

then Tornado bundles further down the line.

Ghosts may end up web shop items again this time.

anyways, At this point I'm waiting for the Michael Super VF-25G bundle to get in on these. Alternatively I'd like a VF-25A Mirage Knight :p

No separate armor sets for Ozma and Alto? And web-exclusive Ghosts?! That's gonna suck.

Well, at least there's the Michail and Luca fast pack sets. Probably won't be pouring any more cash on the VF-25F, and I might have to get me an armored Ozma set.

No interest in the Tornado bundles, though. Personally, I think those laser canon turrets look ridiculous--just my opinion, of course..

BTW, what's a VF-25A Mirage Knight? I searched for it at macross2.net, but they didn't have that model in their archives.

Edited by GU-11

BTW, what's a VF-25A Mirage Knight? I searched for it at macross2.net, but they didn't have that model in their archives.

It's a Cannon fodder VF-25 with Mirage Knights markings from Five star stories (right middle valk): (also thanks to VF5SS for the screenshot)

hangar.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

It's a Cannon fodder VF-25 with Mirage Knights markings from Five star stories (right middle valk): (also thanks to VF5SS for the screenshot)

hangar.jpg

Oohhhh....purdy planes... :wub:

And your answer leads to another question: What's Five Star Stories? I googled the term and ended up with hotel reviews. <_<

BTW, nice color scheme. I'm a fan of more conservative tones, seeing as these are fighter jets.

Oohhhh....purdy planes... :wub:

And your answer leads to another question: What's Five Star Stories? I googled the term and ended up with hotel reviews. <_<

BTW, nice color scheme. I'm a fan of more conservative tones, seeing as these are fighter jets.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Star_Stories

Google Images

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=Five+Star+Stories&hl=zh-TW&client=firefox-a&hs=6GN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ISSpTt-6A4S0iQf9x8yPDg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1177&bih=296

Wow... super lame. And AmiAmi is not taking any more pre-orders on the 25S it seems. HLJ doesn't even seem to be selling the renewal versions at all. They don't have the Alto version listed either. Wonder why they decided to not sell them.

I pointed out a few pages ago that HLJ has a typo in the products title. Search for it under YF-25S. Someone also posted the link here a few pages ago. ;)

Chris

Also still have't got my 25. :( looks like it should be today though. So glad I payed for EMS shipping. Seems like it can be hit or miss sometimes. I've actually got SAL things in a few more days than this before. Lol!

Chris

Every collector and their dog is gonna want an armor set for their Valks, so there's absolutely no chance of shelf-warming here.

because the Japanese market has easy access to these web exclusives and don't care.

I got mine yesterday. I spent the evening panel lining him. I used the Grey Gundam Lining Marker. It really make him look nice from a cross the room. I ordered the Ozma's about 5 min. after taking Alto's out of the box. I'm planing on ordering the exclusive packs from GGInfinte.com. I've put in an order for the 29's pack with them, so they should be up for ordering these packs when they announced with price and date.

post-10912-0-34303900-1319720390_thumb.jpg

post-10912-0-48516100-1319720500_thumb.jpg

post-10912-0-05129800-1319720645_thumb.jpg

I pointed out a few pages ago that HLJ has a typo in the products title. Search for it under YF-25S. Someone also posted the link here a few pages ago. ;)

Chris

Also still have't got my 25. :( looks like it should be today though. So glad I payed for EMS shipping. Seems like it can be hit or miss sometimes. I've actually got SAL things in a few more days than this before. Lol!

Chris

Thanks Dobber. I guess so many posts have come in this thread so quickly that I missed a bunch of them.

I guess I missed out on HLJ's preorders as well =(

Damn you, Bandai! If they would have made their plans clear from the start instead of waiting to announce after preorders were closed, I would have done the preorder instead of waiting for a bundle that will never happen.

I got mine yesterday. I spent the evening panel lining him. I used the Grey Gundam Lining Marker. It really make him look nice from a cross the room. I ordered the Ozma's about 5 min. after taking Alto's out of the box. I'm planing on ordering the exclusive packs from GGInfinte.com. I've put in an order for the 29's pack with them, so they should be up for ordering these packs when they announced with price and date.

Looks great, but you know what? For once, I'm actually going to refrain from taking a Gundam marker to this, I kinda like it as is. To me, it's pretty much a scaled up 1/72 model, without all the hassle of putting one together and dealing with water slide and sticker decals. :)

-Kyp

Pics:

post-4560-0-48494800-1319728748_thumb.jpgpost-4560-0-26512300-1319728791_thumb.jpgpost-4560-0-02035600-1319728828_thumb.jpgpost-4560-0-66579800-1319728864_thumb.jpgpost-4560-0-37478100-1319728907_thumb.jpg

BTW, I don't think anyone's mentioned this before, but the wings sort of lock into 4 positions, from all the way out to all the way retracted for atmospheric re-entry. I think the 1/48 VF-1's did this as well, but it's been a long time since I've had one.

-Kyp

the 1/48 vf-1, v2 1/60 vf-1 and the 1/60 vf-0 all do this. The indents are a nice touch though.

Exactly what scale is it???

And I'm also miff with this whole Web exclusive thing. My Anima Eva is still naked without that web exclusive weapon rack, which now ebays for $200 without shipping! :(

the 1/48 vf-1, v2 1/60 vf-1 and the 1/60 vf-0 all do this. The indents are a nice touch though.

Since when does the v2 VF-1 have wing indents?

I'm glad this does though. I always wondered what it would be like. Is there ever a time when you want to position the wings in a way that the indents don't let you?

Since when does the v2 VF-1 have wing indents?

I'm glad this does though. I always wondered what it would be like. Is there ever a time when you want to position the wings in a way that the indents don't let you?

No, no, I meant that the swing wings have a full range of motion. That's why I said that that the wing indents are a nice touch, because they're new.

Maybe out of topic, but since someone already posted a screenshot of the movie, I noticed they gave the VF-27 a sort of super pack in it...doesn't look great IMO, but wondering if that'd become an addition to the webshop exclusive repertoire?

By the way, wasn't the YF-25 supposed to have a different cockpit canopy? The one in the screenshot is almost exactly like a regular VF-25, except maybe the head.

Edited by regult

They're not "new new" since the v.1 VF-1 had them. (and they were awesome and are much-missed)

I thought the last Macross valks to have them was the 1/48 VF-1's? Still, I'm surprised that no one mentioned (As far as I know) that the VF-25F version 2 had them.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

By the way, wasn't the YF-25 supposed to have a different cockpit canopy? The one in the screenshot is almost exactly like a regular VF-25, except maybe the head.

Since those background shots start off with flat CG models of VF-25s they probably just reused what was on hand when they let Tenjin draw over it.

Wow...been a while since I posted here, but after getting my new VF-25, I felt I had too.

This thing is perfect! Sculpt is magnificent, transformation is intuitive, everything has "place" even if it doesn't actually "lock." The fact that I don't have to remove ANYTHING, even swap a hand, for transformation is so, so refreshing.

Now, I love my 1/72 Vf-25 kits, and I thought for sure there would never be a toy that could match it in terms of detail, sculpt, and proportions, but damn I was wrong! Of course, it doesnt hurt that this new version really feels and looks like an upscaled, sturdy version of the kit. They share ALOT in common.

post-145-0-59887900-1319743074_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-44123200-1319743109_thumb.jpg

But the kit is just that, a model kit. Sure it's transformable and poseble, but it's definitely not made for heavy play. The DX toy is definitely a TOY, its rough and sturdy, and awesome:)

I think the DX actually has better proportions than the kit, seeing them in hand side by side too. I think the most impressive is the more accurate/longer neck and the narrower head. But being able to really angle out the little hip wing root things is great too.

post-145-0-71906100-1319743085_thumb.jpg

I sold my V1 DX a few weeks ago to help fund this guy, and I kinda feel bad that I actually got $90 for it...this new one is so unbelievably better, and it comes with a stand! Well worth the money.

Oh, and just for fun, some shots with my (modded) VF100s and SD VF-25 as well.

post-145-0-33334100-1319743094_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-45045300-1319743102_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-54231800-1319743116_thumb.jpg

Yay!! Mine is here!! It's so beautiful!! his is the release I've been waiting years for!!! Love the 25 series and passed on the V.1's due to a lousy sculpt. This one is PERFECT! Great sculpt, nice excessories, stand at an affordable price. Take note Yamato, bandai has done Macross justice! Though I'm very happy with my 27 and YF-29 too. :)

Chris

I think the v.2 VF-1 was supposed to have wing indents, but something got lost along the way, and the nubs on the wings don't do any good locking into the notched track on the lower backplate.

The VF-25 has 4 now instead of the three on the v.1: full forward, even with leading edge of the wing glove, even with the leading edge of the upper aux intakes (about like the above pictures of them parked in the hangar), and full back for battroid mode (sort of like an over-sweep). I have noticed that the fully swept battroid position tends to interfere with the leg panels in fighter mode. It causes the rear of the wing glove to flex up a little, and might rub against the black stripe on the leg panel, so I wouldn't recommend using that position in fighter mode.

One other note for those of you worried about scratching the paint. It is very likely that the tip of the nose lip (the black point present when the nose is folded) will lose paint on the tip. This tip presses up against the underside of the head mounting plate in battroid mode, and is very prone to rubbing back and forth against it. Note, the color is not pure flat black, it's more like a rubber tone. If you don't lose too much paint there, a sharpie will work, but sharpies are more purple tinted, as are many permanent markers. I'd recommend some true flat black paint to touch that spot up if it rubs more than just the tip.

Also, for those of you worried about stressing joints, one bit of transformation can be risky if you aren't careful. It's been a potential problem for every Frontier valk due to the design choices involved, but the way the backplate is connected to the chestplate could cause damage if handled carelessly. The problem is that the two shoulder plates are not directly connected in any way, and there's nothing to keep you from pushing one farther than the other, which could cause the entire hinge system holding the backplate on to shear off if it's stressed enough.

I think the joints are better built than the v.1, but there's still the potential to subject the entire system to undue stress if you don't rotate the shoulder plates evenly. Mine don't like to bend evenly because one is a bit stiffer than the other (I might disassemble the backplate and work those joints back and for a bit to loosen them up so they move easier). A key thing to look at is whether the tip of the backplate is centered on the canopy in battroid mode. If the prong that attaches to the shield in fighter mode is pushed off to one side or the other, it means the shoulders aren't even, and the hinges are having to absorb the shearing stress involved.

I should say, this is nothing new, and nothing to worry about. It's just something to be aware of when going to battroid. I can't remember for sure, but I think I do remember some people having these hinges fail on the v.1. Just be careful to push down the shoulder plates evenly, and it shouldn't be a problem. I think there is a callout in the instructions that might specifically say this, but the image doesn't really convey the idea, and a lot of us can't read Japanese.

Anywho, all that aside, this thing is a real beauty. I did notice that the nose seems a bit more drooped in fighter mode than on the 1/72 kits, but I think that's to address the stupidly long nose gear on the models, and help achieve a better gear-down stance once the super and armor packs are equipped.

Also, for those of you with a VF-27, the legless Ranka for the back seat does fit nicely in the VF-25's rear cockpit, and stays put decently as long as you keep the canopy closed. One of my favorite scenes in the show is Alto's sunset flight with Ranka on Gallia IV, so I'll probably be displaying mine that way, and I'll even be able to put the wings straight out. ^_^

Ok I noticed one thing with mine, it "seems" like the feet should be able to go in or retract a little more than how it came. I can not get the "cuffs" to sit nice and evenly like how Kyp shows in his pictures. I've tried pulling them out and then back in t see if they'll go in any further but no luck. Anyone else have this issue or is there a trick to it?

Chris