DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

Yeah, there are some really gorgeous touches to this toy. Definitely one of the best valks ever. Fighter mode is so amazing, I can't bring myself to leave it transformed in any of the other modes for very long.

Edited by pud333

i give this baby a tamiya dove clear coat.. and have handled it like crazy for the past one week .. no paint chip problem.. the only problem i have is the quality control in the lerx of wing area.. there's some part that the glue doesn't stick.. i fix it using epoxy glue.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's Tamiya dove clear coat?

I've bought and used Tamiya's gloss, semi-gloss, and matte clear coat sprays before, but never heard of "dove."

Edited by GU-11

Pardon my ignorance, but what's Tamiya dove clear coat?

I've bought and used Tamiya's gloss, semi-gloss, and matte clear coat sprays before, but never heard of "dove."

whops sorry i mean matte clear collor. because the effect kinda dove feeling i often call it dove clear coat :p

Edited by valid

whops sorry i mean matte clear collor. because the effect kinda dove feeling i often call it dove clear coat :p

Ah, I see. BTW, why use matte clear? It dulls the original gloss of the toy, which IMO is accurate to the CG model's shiny surface...or are you shooting for a more realistic look?

Edited by GU-11

Ah, I see. BTW, why use matte clear? It dulls the original gloss of the toy, which IMO is accurate to the CG model's shiny surface...or are you shooting for a more realistic look?

yes i wash and do the panel line.. and after that i decide it look more cooler with realistic look.. although the white color is not a very common color for military fighter

Edited by valid

I'm sure HLJ will get more Ozmas in the way they got more Altos in. The demand for Ozma is big. I expect most online stores to get another batch in as soon as the toy is released and preorders are fulfilled. It's just a matter of when. Just keep checking online.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP:

I was kicking back on a recliner transforming my VF-25 V2, when I heard the sound of something fall down into the chair. I couldn't figure out what it was for a while, but then I discovered the tip of the gun had come off.

Took me a while digging around in the chair but I finally found it. *whew*

So be careful with those gun tips :)

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP:

I was kicking back on a recliner transforming my VF-25 V2, when I heard the sound of something fall down into the chair. I couldn't figure out what it was for a while, but then I discovered the tip of the gun had come off.

Took me a while digging around in the chair but I finally found it. *whew*

So be careful with those gun tips :)

what part of gun tip that we are talking about?

Those of you who are unhappy with the blank screen in the cockpit, I scanned in the aftermarket console decal I got for my 1/72 kit and scaled it down to fit into the renewal DX. Strangely enough, the 1/60 DX has a much smaller cockpit display than the 1/72 kit.

Just print it as is and glue it into the cockpit. It's already properly sized.

post-5703-0-34263400-1321842430.jpg

My review is finally posted. Phew... that one took a while to get through... Visit anymoon to read the review and see the video.

So do you like the renewal sculpt or not? You seemed to avoid that question in your review, and I remember you saying in your original DX review that you hated how thin the VF-25 looked in the series and said how great it looked fattened up. Have you changed your mind since or is that still true?

Otherwise, good review. Really shows how craptacular the original release was. :p And you know what, I have a much better view of the pilot figure now.

Nice review jenius. Personally, I think it deserved a better mark than the YF-29, but it's a personal preference that sets my opinion apart. While you liked the integrated guns, I didn't. I prefer that sort of thing to be separate, like the Tornado set. To me, the VF-25 is like a hot chick, where as the YF-29 is like a hot chick with fake boobs. I like both, but I would prefer natural if I could. :blink: The score is pretty spot on though. Durability is definitely where this toy suffers, as I pretty much transform it like I'm doing brain surgery. Slowly, deliberately, delicately.

Edited by pud333

So do you like the renewal sculpt or not? You seemed to avoid that question in your review, and I remember you saying in your original DX review that you hated how thin the VF-25 looked in the series and said how great it looked fattened up. Have you changed your mind since or is that still true?

I didn't really dwell on it because it's a review of the toy and not a review of the VF-25. I did mention in the video review that I'm not the hugest fan of the 25 which might be part of why I prefer the 29 toy. From a non-toy perspective, I still prefer my mecha beefy and less insecty. That's no reason not to give kudos to the DX V2 though for pretty much nailing the line art.

There is something that has been on my mind regarding the Frontier valks and was reminded of when looking at Jenius' review. Does anyone else feel that the cockpits and canopies for the VF-25 and later designs seem to be comparatively smaller than those of pre-Frontier valks? Back when the v1 VF-25s came out, even though the valks themselves were in scale, they just didn't look like that was the case due to the canopy size, not even taking into account the pilot figures. With the YF-29 and VF-25 renewals, the canopies have lengthened a tiny bit, but the width is about the same and still look much smaller than those of previous generation valks. It makes them feel like they are a smaller scale to me. The VF-27's seems like an even worse offender with the canopy being even more shallow and narrow. There doesn't seem to be room to make the pilot figures any bigger because it would require the cockpits to be bigger. The arms of the pilot figures are already touching the sides of the cockpit.

That made me wonder if the cockpits on the Yamato valks were too big. Now, we know some of the pilots figures that Yamato made are on the large side *cough*YF-19 Isamu*cough*, but the cockpit sizes look about right. They look properly scaled to the rest of the valk, so I can only conclude that Frontier-era valks were just designed with teeny tiny cockpits. Even the SV-51 cockpit and canopy which seems slimmer and more cramped compared to other pre-Frontier valks still seems cavernous compared to the VF-25 and up.

Not really a complaint, just something that crossed my mind and made me think why the pilots are so much smaller even on the renewals despite them filling the cockpits with hardly any wasted space.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

[...]

That made me wonder if the cockpits on the Yamato valks were too big. Now, we know some of the pilots figures that Yamato made are on the large side *cough*YF-19 Isamu*cough*, but the cockpit sizes look about right. They look properly scaled to the rest of the valk, so I can only conclude that Frontier-era valks were just designed with teeny tiny cockpits. Even the SV-51 cockpit and canopy which seems slimmer and more cramped compared to other pre-Frontier valks still seems cavernous compared to the VF-25 and up.

[...]

Actually, not even the Yamato pilots are big enough IMO. At 1/60 scale, the figures should be 30mm long to represent a 1,80m tall man.

There is something that has been on my mind regarding the Frontier valks and was reminded of when looking at Jenius' review. Does anyone else feel that the cockpits and canopies for the VF-25 and later designs seem to be comparatively smaller than those of pre-Frontier valks? Back when the v1 VF-25s came out, even though the valks themselves were in scale, they just didn't look like that was the case due to the canopy size, not even taking into account the pilot figures. With the YF-29 and VF-25 renewals, the canopies have lengthened a tiny bit, but the width is about the same and still look much smaller than those of previous generation valks. It makes them feel like they are a smaller scale to me. The VF-27's seems like an even worse offender with the canopy being even more shallow and narrow. There doesn't seem to be room to make the pilot figures any bigger because it would require the cockpits to be bigger. The arms of the pilot figures are already touching the sides of the cockpit.

Not really a complaint, just something that crossed my mind and made me think why the pilots are so much smaller even on the renewals despite them filling the cockpits with hardly any wasted space.

i know how you felt man! i do think that the vf 25 cockpit is so small.. with that small cockpit there's not only for the pilot figure but also the ex gear that have to fit.. i try to put hikaru 1:60 in the cockpit and he could squeze in to it.. but the canopy can't be close.. i gues in the future.. pilot become slimmer like a twig

If you think those are bad, have you built the 1/72 Hasegawa VF-11? I just finished mine...pics coming real soon.....and I really think something is off. Either the pilot is too big or the cockpit/fighter is too small. There is ZERO room to move in there much less rotate for transformation. I felt the same way about the 1/60 27. When placed next to the same scale VF-1, even though the 27 is longer/bigger than the VF-1, it looks like it's a smaller scale, they just don't look right next to each other. BUT, it could also just be a case of an aircraft looking like it should be much larger than it is, the Concord is like that to me. When you see a picture of one it looks huge but they are actually quite small.

Chris

I'm not a lineart fetishist, but when you look at the anymoon review, I think the v2 looks very close to it. So if the cockpit is small, it's more a problem with the actual original design than the toy.

I think the width of the cockpit sidewalls are the main issue with most toys. They are MUCH thicker than they should be. (party to have a working canopy in this scale or rotating seat gimmick).

Another point is the depth of the cockpit-----generally, the cockpit floor is the top of the nosegear bay. Making working gear takes up more space than scale gear would, in effect pushing the cockpit up---which reduces headroom for the pilot so he has to be made smaller to fit.

So overall, the pilot is being "squished" in every direction by the 'edges' of the cockpit being too thick/high.

I can't say I worry about the pilot scale at all. After all, Yamato can't even get a standard size in their toys... just look at Hikaru from the v2 1/60 vf-1d and compare him to basara from the vf-19

Yeah, I'm the same way. It looks close enough, fine with me. I'm more worried about how detailed things are inside the cockpit, which Yamato does well in general.