The Fanfiction Thread

frothymug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Wow. Lots of members here that I don't ever see in the other parts of the forum.

I've been mulling writing me some fanfiction again, and I'm interested in what you guys are into (Macross or otherwise, but since this forum is Macross-centered, let's go with that). I trawled through the first couple pages of the thread, but other than that, I haven't the foggiest idea what the current state of affairs are.

Also, who's here that also frequents the more popular parts of the forum?

A short story fanfic about ground forces in the Macross universe, and a tie-in with my previous story Macross Alexandria: The Colonial War (a crossover with Battlestar Galactica 2003):

Macross Alexandria: A Tanker's Tale (PDF Download)

Spoiler-free summary:

Spoiler

The Alexandrian Union plans to take the planet Kobol from the Colonials, and sends the 20th Marine Expeditionary Unit of the NUN Marine Corps to capture the Protoculture ruins under Colonial control.

Some notes:

As Macross is an aviation-centric franchise focusing on variable fighters, ground forces are not given much attention and I think that it would be a good idea to write a story about ground forces in the Macross setting. That's why I included a design of a variable Destroid that transforms into a tank in this story. I also included a special forces unit called the NUNS Space Paratroopers in this story (and also in Macross Alexandria: The Colonial War), which is inspired by the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers and the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers from Halo.

I am currently working on a crossover with Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, which would be about the SDF-3 ending up in the Macross universe (in Alexandrian Union territory at the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy).

Edited by Nazareno2012

On 2/16/2017 at 10:41 AM, kajnrig said:

Hi. Wow. Lots of members here that I don't ever see in the other parts of the forum.

I've been mulling writing me some fanfiction again, and I'm interested in what you guys are into (Macross or otherwise, but since this forum is Macross-centered, let's go with that). I trawled through the first couple pages of the thread, but other than that, I haven't the foggiest idea what the current state of affairs are.

I tend to avoid crossover material as a reader. Personally, I appreciate fanfics that are focused on the more gritty, realistic aspects of the series. MC is actually a goddamn adult, author doesn't resort to plot devices to explain away huge holes, characters are relatable... the usual. Oh, and avoid time travel at all costs. That's my #1 cardinal sin of any movie, tv show, book, etc... It always messes up the continuity and is rarely executed to "near" perfection, i.e.: Back to the Future.

On 17/02/2017 at 2:41 AM, kajnrig said:

I like gritty and realistic stories (my own Macross Alexandria fanfic series for instance). As for realism in my stories I follow real-life military doctrine (for example using "Fox" brevity codes in air combat) as well as using Newtonian physics in space combat (for example Valkyries and ships can spin around to fire on a target in space). My stories feature some scenes with swearing and gore for added grittiness. I like crossovers, especially with other science fiction works.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:12 PM, Gerli said:

FOLD Time-Dilatation can be considere Time Travel?

I suppose it's already kind of canon in the Macross universe, so it's acceptable. It's not necessarily the time travel I was talking about. I mean like going back in time to stop some event from happening and then returning to the present like nothing ever changed...

Honestly, I don't like the time dilation thing in Macross or real physics. I'm no astrophysicist, but it just seems like a bunch of bunk to me. That's just my gut feeling. Maybe I can't accept that FTL travel will have such a devastating side-effect.

In other news, I need to officially announce a HIATUS on my fanfic. I have 3 months of grad school left and I have to make sure I have time to write my thesis, defend it, get my degree, and get a goddamn job. I'll re-evaluate my priorities when I graduate. I feel confident that I'll be in the mood (and have the free time) to get some more of my story finished.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, kajnrig said:

I like fanfic that explores parts of the universe that don't get delved into in that much detail in the series itself. Whether it's regular soldiers during some of the main conflicts, or exploring the aftermath of these conflicts, or even giving minor characters the spotlight. For me the most important thing is having well-written characters that have believable and consistent (but not static) personalities and that interact in interesting ways, while also having a driving conflict that gives the story focus. I do like the realistic approach but I'm not a stickler for that. If the characters work then the story can be as fantastically as it wants to be. That being said, it should still fit with established Macross lore at least in the broad strokes.

I also tend to avoid crossovers. 

On 2/25/2017 at 1:44 PM, frothymug said:

Oh, and avoid time travel at all costs. That's my #1 cardinal sin of any movie, tv show, book, etc... It always messes up the continuity and is rarely executed to "near" perfection, i.e.: Back to the Future.

I love time travel but admit it is very hard to get right and probably works better for original works than for fanfiction.

Edited by Raptor One

13 minutes ago, Raptor One said:

I like fanfic that explores parts of the universe that don't get delved into in that much detail in the series itself. Whether it's regular soldiers during some of the main conflicts, or exploring the aftermath of these conflicts, or even giving minor characters the spotlight. For me the most important thing is having well-written characters that have believable and consistent (but not static) personalities and that interact in interesting ways, while also having a driving conflict that gives the story focus. I do like the realistic approach but I'm not a stickler for that. If the characters work then the story can be as fantastically as it wants to be. That being said, it should still fit with established Macross lore at least in the broad strokes.

Man, you would love my Fanfic Chatarra... too bad my english is very basic and I can't translate it well.

• 2 weeks later...

A new fanfic that I wrote, about a war between the Alexandrian Union and another colony in the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy:

Macross Alexandria: The Sagittarius War

Part 1: The Attack (PDF Download)

WARNING: This story deals with themes such as political views expressed by some characters in the story, religious extremism and state-sponsored terrorism that may offend certain readers, so reader discretion is advised. Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

Spoiler-free summary:

Spoiler

After damage to their agricultural lands from a battle between Alexandrian Union NUNS and rogue Zentradi in 2067 plunged Orleans into an economic crisis, Michael Wright becomes president of Orleans and transforms the government of Orleans into a theocracy. The government of Orleans secedes from the New Unified Government after rejecting aid from the Alexandrian Union and blaming the New Unified Government for the problems affecting them. Orleans makes their move against the Alexandrian Union in 2070, vowing revenge for the hardships they experienced in 2067.

Some notes:

This story is loosely based on the plot of Macross Delta but has elements like idol singers and Protoculture ruins removed, dealing instead with politics and religious extremism. For instance Part 1 of this story is based on Episode 1 of Delta.

I am working on another story to follow this one, titled Macross Alexandria: Manifest Destiny, which would deal with imperialism and colonialism. I am working on it along with the second part of Macross Alexandria: The Sagittarius War.

Edited by Nazareno2012

Chatarra: Chapter 110

Up's & Down's

Chatarra is a Drama/Science-Fiction Novel in the Macross Universe. It begins on the year 2058 (A year prior to Frontier) and tells the story of the Rainbow Colony; a Three Star Factory Ship home of a recicle/scavenger community who works a nearby centuries old Zentradi Battlefield.
All the characters and story are original (With some minor cameos) and lore-friendly. It's almost 1000 pages long and I'm doing updates once a week (or two maybe)
Oh and... it's in spanish, sadly my english is not good enough to translate the whole thing, sorry :p

EPUB (Google Books y E-Readers) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DOFdZyWXfyWTJaWlM1OXNzSWs/view?usp=sharing
Fanfiction.net  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8885775/110/Chatarra
Wattpad https://www.wattpad.com/story/69527719-chatarra

Edited by Gerli

Chatarra: Chapter 111

Waking up.

EPUB (Google Books y E-Readers) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DOFdZyWXfyWTJaWlM1OXNzSWs/view?usp=sharing
Fanfiction.net  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8885775/111/Chatarra
Wattpad https://www.wattpad.com/story/69527719-chatarra

in Spanish :p

Edited by Gerli

19 hours ago, Gerli said:

Grande Gerli!!!! Nice Chapter Men!!

The second part of Macross Alexandria: The Sagittarius War:

Part 2: Road to War (PDF Download)

WARNING: This story deals with themes such as political views expressed by some characters in the story, religious extremism and state-sponsored terrorism that may offend certain readers, so reader discretion is advised. Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

Spoiler-free summary:

Spoiler

After the attacks on New Cairo and Nazareth, the Alexandrian Union prepares for war on Orleans. Meanwhile, the culprits behind the attacks are uncovered by the Alexandrian Union Intelligence Service and Alexandrian Union Bureau of Investigation.

Some notes:

I am currently working on the third (and last) part of this story and on another story, Macross Alexandria: Manifest Destiny. This story will allow me to test some ideas that I will include in Macross Alexandria: Manifest Destiny, such as land combat with infantry and armored fighting vehicles such as Destroids, which I first explored in detail in Macross Alexandria: A Tanker's Tale but will refine in this story.

Edited by Nazareno2012

On 2/23/2017 at 6:54 AM, Nazareno2012 said:

A short story fanfic about ground forces in the Macross universe, and a tie-in with my previous story Macross Alexandria: The Colonial War (a crossover with Battlestar Galactica 2003):

Macross Alexandria: A Tanker's Tale (PDF Download)

Spoiler-free summary:

Reveal hidden contents

The Alexandrian Union plans to take the planet Kobol from the Colonials, and sends the 20th Marine Expeditionary Unit of the NUN Marine Corps to capture the Protoculture ruins under Colonial control.

Some notes:

As Macross is an aviation-centric franchise focusing on variable fighters, ground forces are not given much attention and I think that it would be a good idea to write a story about ground forces in the Macross setting. That's why I included a design of a variable Destroid that transforms into a tank in this story. I also included a special forces unit called the NUNS Space Paratroopers in this story (and also in Macross Alexandria: The Colonial War), which is inspired by the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers and the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers from Halo.

I am currently working on a crossover with Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, which would be about the SDF-3 ending up in the Macross universe (in Alexandrian Union territory at the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy).

I like the idea of NUNS Marines.  They are the perfect hybrid for a terrestrial / space story.  However, I never saw a need for a variable tank.  Armored GERWALKs,  GBP's, a Marine version of the VB Koenig, LHD type carriers like the Quarter, etc... yes, they would be essential to a Marine arsenal.   The Marines are generally a task force, not a Navy or an Army in scale.  If you base them on the US Marines, you will notice that the US Marines tend to use proven gear and are rarely prone to adopting bleeding edge tech since troops need dependable equipment to do the hard missions.

Edited by Zinjo

3 hours ago, Zinjo said:

I like the idea of NUNS Marines.  They are the perfect hybrid for a terrestrial / space story.  However, I never saw a need for a variable tank.  Armored GERWALKs,  GBP's, a Marine version of the VB Koenig, LHD type carriers like the Quarter, etc... yes, they would be essential to a Marine arsenal.   The Marines are generally a task force, not a Navy or an Army in scale.  If you base them on the US Marines, you will notice that the US Marines tend to use proven gear and are rarely prone to adopting bleeding edge tech since troops need dependable equipment to do the hard missions.

While the variable tank is primarily for "Rule of Cool", the NUN Marine Corps in the Macross Alexandria stories use Valkyries like the VF-25 and deploy from either an Uraga Class carrier or a SDFN Macross Class using dropships. The NUN Marine Corps in Macross Alexandria mostly uses the same equipment as the (larger) NUN Army for the sake of commonality. However, their expeditionary role means that the NUN Marine Corps uses the Beatrice family of amphibious wheeled armored vehicles instead of the larger tracked vehicles preferred by the NUN Army, which also uses the Beatrice family in the same roles as the real-life Stryker in the US Army.

The third and last part of Macross Alexandria: The Sagittarius War:

Part 3: Retribution (PDF Download)

Spoiler-free summary:

Spoiler

The Alexandrian Union attacks Orleans and sends the NUN Marine Corps and NUNS Space Paratroopers to capture Orleans City and President Wright of Orleans.

Some notes:

I am working on Macross Alexandria: Manifest Destiny as well as another story that would take place between the events of Macross Alexandria: The Sagittarius War and Macross Alexandria: Manifest Destiny. That story would be a short story that would show the off-duty lives of the characters of Macross Alexandria.

8 hours ago, MILKAUTICO said:

Nice chapter !!!!!

Thanks! I'm working in the next one, I'm a little behind the schedule whit this one because it's longer than usual.