The Fanfiction Thread

frothymug

Here is my first crossover fanfic, a crossover with Battlestar Galactica:

Macross Alexandria: The Colonial War

Part 1: Contact (PDF Download)

Spoiler-free summary:

When a NUNS expedition makes contact with another expedition from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol on the planet Kobol, a shooting war ensues. All because of the actions of religious nuts and dirty politicians in the Twelve Colonies. Could war end before the Alexandrian Union NUNS lay waste to the Twelve Colonies?

Some notes:

This is my first try at a crossover fanfic. It is my own take on the concept seen in fanfics like Against Overreligious Cousins and We Are Not Your Thirteenth Tribe. I also admit that I am not as familiar with Battlestar Galactica as I am with with Macross (I haven't watched the show lol), though I like the concept of those crossovers where the Twelve Colonies have a war with Earth. It is also my first departure from my original plan to write mostly short stories.

Disappointed about the lack of Fleet vs Fleet battles in Delta? This Chapter is for you

Chapter 94

In Spanish ;)

• 2 weeks later...

so... what was the Ping and the sound jammer? Was that the sea of VF-17Ds showing up?

So, the sound jammer is a throwback to VF-X2 (which also shows up in Delta IIRC). It's basically a fold jammer that messes up lock-ons and creates false radar readings. The ping is the fold quartz lighting up that powers the jammer.

Hey, I want to update too!!!

Chapter 95

(Giant toilets, because why not?)

in Spanish :)

Edited by Gerli

They were indeed false contacts!

There are 3 VF-17 nightmares in the Island, but only one is directly engaging Oisin.

safe! Thought the VF4 was toast in that last frame! time for the Mk1 Eyeball sight

So, the sound jammer is a throwback to VF-X2 (which also shows up in Delta IIRC). It's basically a fold jammer that messes up lock-ons and creates false radar readings. The ping is the fold quartz lighting up that powers the jammer.

Gotta say I love the little technical notes you add at the end of some chapters. A cool way to expand the canon for those who may be unfamiliar with some of the sources you're referencing (like me with VF-X2). Reminds me of some of the volume notes in Boku no Hero Academia.

Any plans to do something similar with the modified VF-4 and VF-19? Or are you saving those details for within the story itself?

As promised, it's update time.

Chapter 54 is up on FF.net. I'll get started on 55 this week, as I've taken to doing a little bit of writing while on the bus to and from the university every day. It will probably be a few weeks before I'm done, depending on how well it goes. Enjoy!

Need to catch up on this series. I had read the whole thing back when it was on chapter 40 something, but now I don't remember it well enough to start where I left off. I think I'm gonna read it again soon. I've been itching for more Macross material since Delta didn't quite do the job.

Random thoughts since this is probably the thread for them:

I've always toyed with the idea of writing a Macross fanfic, but felt my knowledge of the lore was too limited to avoid contradicting the continuity in some way or just not doing it justice. As much as I love the series, the language barrier means vast parts of the lore are somewhat lost to me. But I've been feeling the itch again and I think now I might give it a shot anyway and try my hand at a somewhat self-contained story. The only other fanfic I've written is a Harry Potter one in a similar vein and that turned out fairly well. Plus I've definitely gotten a lot stronger as a writer since then, so why not? I just need to decide on when and where to actually set it.

Gotta say I love the little technical notes you add at the end of some chapters. A cool way to expand the canon for those who may be unfamiliar with some of the sources you're referencing (like me with VF-X2). Reminds me of some of the volume notes in Boku no Hero Academia.

Any plans to do something similar with the modified VF-4 and VF-19? Or are you saving those details for within the story itself?

I do plan to eventually make a supplemental chapter containing ALL of the mecha sheets and backstories I've written up! When that may be, I have no idea.

Raptor One,

Don't worry about breaking continuity too much. I did my damndest to stay on the canon train, but ended up missing a few things here and there. Plus, you will want to create your own continuity at some point. That's where the creative juices start flowing. When you're restricting yourself, you will spend too much time trying not to set off any continuity tripwires. It's cancerous to try to write a story that meshes in at the same time as a series, unless it is a complete side story that barely has relationship to what we've seen in official settings. Side stories, sequels, prequels, or maybe even a completely separate setting (different emigration fleet, planetary colony, etc.) would work best.

I used the Macross Compendium and Macross Mecha Manual as my major sources of technical info. The rest.... just watch all of the series again to refresh your memory. :)

A good idea for writing a fanfic without worrying about canon is to use your own characters and maybe your own setting within the Macross universe.

This.

Using original characters can give you a lot of freedom to write.

I do plan to eventually make a supplemental chapter containing ALL of the mecha sheets and backstories I've written up! When that may be, I have no idea.

That sounds awesome! Can't wait to read it. Also I caught up with all the issues so far, consider me another loyal fan.

Raptor One,

Don't worry about breaking continuity too much. I did my damndest to stay on the canon train, but ended up missing a few things here and there. Plus, you will want to create your own continuity at some point. That's where the creative juices start flowing. When you're restricting yourself, you will spend too much time trying not to set off any continuity tripwires. It's cancerous to try to write a story that meshes in at the same time as a series, unless it is a complete side story that barely has relationship to what we've seen in official settings. Side stories, sequels, prequels, or maybe even a completely separate setting (different emigration fleet, planetary colony, etc.) would work best.

I used the Macross Compendium and Macross Mecha Manual as my major sources of technical info. The rest.... just watch all of the series again to refresh your memory. :)

A good idea for writing a fanfic without worrying about canon is to use your own characters and maybe your own setting within the Macross universe.

This.

Using original characters can give you a lot of freedom to write.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I ended up starting a project set on an as-yet-unmentioned backwater planet called Cheílos (Greek for edge apparently), set at around the same time as Delta, but with little to no connection to the events of that series. I'm not going to be too much of a stickler for the canon but I do think utilizing the existing setting as much as possible is part of the fun (and challenge) of writing fanfiction. I'm really excited about this one though, can't wait to share it with you all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice chapter!! :D

Thanks! Working on #99 and #100 right now, a lot of crazy and unexpected stuff are going to happen in the next two chapters, after all it's a milestone from a project of almost 4 years and 1000 pages long.... a lot of things are going to change after that.

Chapter 99

Some old-School Dogfighting there...

日本語で書かれました ^_^

(Not really, it's still in Spanish but i'm studying Japanese)

Chapter 99
Some old-School Dogfighting there...
日本語で書かれました ^_^
(Not really, it's still in Spanish but i'm studying Japanese)

Yes!!!!

mata ne!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please Excuse me if the answer to this is obvious. I clicked through all the pages of this thread and searched 'Hikaru' on each... Its 1:30am..

So it seems that we are never getting a chronological direct sequel to Macross TV Where it covers what happens to the fleet with Hikaru, Misa, and the rest.  (according to Kawamori & Co?)

Has anyone ever attempted a fan-fiction to cover this gap? Anything good? I'm looking for Macross, not Robotech.  This is a story I have wanted to read since 1985. 

Thanks for any Info!!!

7 hours ago, lavinrac said:

Please Excuse me if the answer to this is obvious. I clicked through all the pages of this thread and searched 'Hikaru' on each... Its 1:30am..

So it seems that we are never getting a chronological direct sequel to Macross TV Where it covers what happens to the fleet with Hikaru, Misa, and the rest.  (according to Kawamori & Co?)

Has anyone ever attempted a fan-fiction to cover this gap? Anything good? I'm looking for Macross, not Robotech.  This is a story I have wanted to read since 1985. 

Thanks for any Info!!!

Well... it's some kind of "taboo" topic around the fandom because Kawamori didn't really want to talk about those characters... al least in spanish I haven't see anything about the fate of the Megaroad01 but maybe someone wrote about it in english.

On 1/12/2017 at 6:33 AM, lavinrac said:

Thanks for any Info!!!

Here's something I found for you: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/660155/1/The-Legend-of-Megaroad

It is a pre-Frontier work and probably also pre-Zero (Zero was released at the time this was already being published). I did not read through it personbaly as it is outright huge at 180k words. But the topic is the one you asked for.

(EDIT: I am reading it and it is rather well-written. Among other things, Frontier-style fold weapons are described. In a 2002 fanfic).

My own "Macer sonata" does have a version of the fate of the Megaroad, but at present only exists in Russian. I am hoping to write an expanded version in English eventually.

Edited by Saruta