The Fanfiction Thread

frothymug

I am still hoping to do an expanded version of my Russian-language epic novelette in English, after Delta finishes and I can integrate the lore (only the lore - the action itself ends in 2059 or 2060). But I realized I might have a slight Delta problem.

The hero's name is Kenneth Macer. This is a reference to Karl Macek. The hero is not a pilot; if anything he is more like MII's protagonist, a journalist (but unlike Hibiki, Kenneth Macer never learns to pilot manned mecha; he does ride a motorcycle).

Might there be questions about "Macer" being too close to "Messer"? Or are the names separate enough, given that my character is not a pilot?

I am still hoping to do an expanded version of my Russian-language epic novelette in English, after Delta finishes and I can integrate the lore (only the lore - the action itself ends in 2059 or 2060). But I realized I might have a slight Delta problem.

The hero's name is Kenneth Macer. This is a reference to Karl Macek. The hero is not a pilot; if anything he is more like MII's protagonist, a journalist (but unlike Hibiki, Kenneth Macer never learns to pilot manned mecha; he does ride a motorcycle).

Might there be questions about "Macer" being too close to "Messer"? Or are the names separate enough, given that my character is not a pilot?

Why would you want to reference Carl Macek?

Haha I just googled who that was and OHHHHHHHH now I recognize that guy... he seems to adorn a lot of my IPSC practice targets along with a few others.

Maybe for the lulz? :lol:

There is this Qrau in Chatarra named "Harmony" (The guy who named it is a pianist after all) and it's covered in GOLD sheets to avoid the intense radiation from a nearly anomaly...

I wanted to have a controversial character (he is among other things arguably to blame for the Ontario fail) and also he writes an inworld account with the Robotech names (and it hopefully makes sense in context).

I'm almost done with some more content on my fanfic. I may pull a Hobbit/Hunger Games move and split this chapter into two and stagger the release. ;)

Actually, it's just getting to the point where it's gotten longer than I thought, which seems to happen to me a lot... I lack writer's discipline.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Macross Alexandria fanfic, White Knight of Darwent meets the Black Nazarene of Alexandria:

PDF Download

Spoiler-free summary:

Shortly after Windermere establishes the Starwind Sector, the Order of Saint Mark is sent by the Alexandrian Union government from the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy to free the Brisingr globular cluster from Windermere. Now Windermere's top ace pilot, the White Knight of Darwent must face the Sagittarius Galaxy's top ace, the Black Nazarene of Alexandria. Who would win the fight?

Some notes: This story diverges from the Macross Delta timeline at Episode 13, as I don't like how the series went after that. And of course to make this story work, Keith sustains only minor injuries when he gets shot down by Hayate and gets back on duty soon afterwards. Most (if not all) of my upcoming Macross Alexandria fanfics will be in short story format.

Hey, cool idea.

Maybe you should wait for the novels and manga to show more about the culture and life of the people but if your story only takes place in the high ranks of the kingdom, that's fine. There are a lot of things to tell about the knights itself. Those SpecOps with wingsuits are tottaly cool.

My first Macross Alexandria fanfic, White Knight of Darwent meets the Black Nazarene of Alexandria:

PDF Download

I do like the general idea that Windermere was really in deep waters by end of ep13 and would be inviting ace forces AND SEPARATELY massive forces from all the Galaxy. A Christian-with-a-Muslim-slant colony setup also sounds interesting.

But I would really like how Mustafa became what he is. He is described as an ace better than Keith. But Keith uses a form of super-dimensional enhancement, he calls it "the wind". What about Mustafa? Without a background explanation, he sounds overpowered.

I think a more realistic way of taking out Keith would be by a force of good pilots with good numbers. Knowing (from Arad) about the White Knight, they could have a plan of attack where a squad engages all other Knights and then another squad, the best one, engages Keith three-to-one - and they have spent years training together. Each one would be worse than Keith but Keith can not handle all three. The comment about not fighting fair would also be much stronger if they just ignored the dueling principle. And they could still defeat Chaos on a mock fight at the end because Chaos is not nearly as well coordinated, in fact they could get Arad too.

Also - did WIndermere forces try to get the upper hand by getting Heinz to sing?

I really like the setup. That's why I am sniping at parts that might need work. Fleshing out Alexandria would probably take another story and I hope you can write one (or more) eventually.

And Gerli: yes, I know Martin hates fan fic. You were waiting for someone to recognize the reference? All right, I did. But Kawamori does not seem to give a darn and that's more important in this case :)

Edited by Saruta

I do like the general idea that Windermere was really in deep waters by end of ep13 and would be inviting ace forces AND SEPARATELY massive forces from all the Galaxy. A Christian-with-a-Muslim-slant colony setup also sounds interesting.

But I would really like how Mustafa became what he is. He is described as an ace better than Keith. But Keith uses a form of super-dimensional enhancement, he calls it "the wind". What about Mustafa? Without a background explanation, he sounds overpowered.

I think a more realistic way of taking out Keith would be by a force of good pilots with good numbers. Knowing (from Arad) about the White Knight, they could have a plan of attack where a squad engages all other Knights and then another squad, the best one, engages Keith three-to-one - and they have spent years training together. Each one would be worse than Keith but Keith can not handle all three. The comment about not fighting fair would also be much stronger if they just ignored the dueling principle. And they could still defeat Chaos on a mock fight at the end because Chaos is not nearly as well coordinated, in fact they could get Arad too.

Also - did WIndermere forces try to get the upper hand by getting Heinz to sing?

I really like the setup. That's why I am sniping at parts that might need work. Fleshing out Alexandria would probably take another story and I hope you can write one (or more) eventually.

First, Alexandria is mostly Coptic Orthodox/Anglican/Roman Catholic, so are the protagonists. The Order of Saint Mark is using fold jammers to disrupt the Wind, the VF-19's have been retrofitted with them in pods and the YF-32 (and the future VF-32 which will appear in later stories) have them built-in. Mustafa is on the same skill level as Isamu and possibly even Max/Milia Jenius, and that will be shown in later stories. Heinz would been stressed out from the events of Episode 13 so he won't be able to sing for a while until his coronation as King.

And Gerli: yes, I know Martin hates fan fic. You were waiting for someone to recognize the reference? All right, I did. But Kawamori does not seem to give a darn and that's more important in this case :)

Eh? no! I posted the image because I started "dealing" with some of my characters, I'm entering the final part of my history and I wanted reply to MILKAUTICO reaction :lol:

(Really Martin hates fanfiction? Who cares?) :huh:

Edited by Gerli

(Really Martin hates fanfiction? Who cares?) :huh:

At least Martin does :)http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/11/14/george-rr-martin-frakk-your-fan-fiction

First, Alexandria is mostly Coptic Orthodox/Anglican/Roman Catholic, so are the protagonists. The Order of Saint Mark is using fold jammers to disrupt the Wind, the VF-19's have been retrofitted with them in pods and the YF-32 (and the future VF-32 which will appear in later stories) have them built-in. Mustafa is on the same skill level as Isamu and possibly even Max/Milia Jenius, and that will be shown in later stories. Heinz would been stressed out from the events of Episode 13 so he won't be able to sing for a while until his coronation as King.

If it is simply "mostly Coptic Orthodox/Anglican/Roman Catholic" what is the reasoning behind Arabic-sounding names like Mustafa?

One would really need to now how one becomes so good - though Max Jenius just did, he's a genius. Isamu, on the other hand, is known to have passed through a number of campaigns prior to the events of Macross Plus. And Keith's ability is shown to be near-supernatural, linked to his fold sensitivity - which must have some sort of counterbalance if Mustafa is to win realistically, I think. Keith's boost is also not affected by fold jams.

It might be, however, that Keith can only be at his best when Heinz sings, which is why he was weaker in that story. But I think this should be mentioned explicitly.

Edited by Saruta

At least Martin does :)http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/11/14/george-rr-martin-frakk-your-fan-fiction

If it is simply "mostly Coptic Orthodox/Anglican/Roman Catholic" what is the reasoning behind Arabic-sounding names like Mustafa?

One would really need to now how one becomes so good - though Max Jenius just did, he's a genius. Isamu, on the other hand, is known to have passed through a number of campaigns prior to the events of Macross Plus. And Keith's ability is shown to be near-supernatural, linked to his fold sensitivity - which must have some sort of counterbalance if Mustafa is to win realistically, I think. Keith's boost is also not affected by fold jams.

It might be, however, that Keith can only be at his best when Heinz sings, which is why he was weaker in that story. But I think this should be mentioned explicitly.

While I admit that I overlooked the part regarding Heinz's singing, it is mentioned in the story that Mustafa and the rest of his squadron are battle-hardened so they have extensive combat experience. His backstory will be explored in a future story I will make.

As I mentioned previously on this thread, I have a Russian-language epic novelette which I want to expand and rewrite in English, and its protagonist is a character based on Karl Macek (and named Kenneth Macer). The fic is really an exploration of unshown sides and connections in the Macross-verse, shown through the eyes of the OC who also influenced a few things (like airing a warning of the impending attack on Earth, resulting in people like Mao Nome and the the kabuki master named Saotome finding shelter and surviving; I guess Ranzo Nakajima was on the Macross, surviving and becoming Makina's grand-grand-dad or something, but we've no indication Mao or the Kabuki master were there or on the Moon).

I have put the project on hold when Delta was announced, so I could integrate Delta lore (though not Delta events - the story ends in 2059/60, a few months after Frontier ends, based on series-verse not movie-verse for both SDFM and Frontier).

Because of certain spoilers and speculations going around the identity of Lady M, I'd like to tell a bit about one of the plot points in the fic - note, this was a 2014 fic. I just want my bragging rights in case canon made the same decisions. And if I posted this after Episode 26 it would look retrofitted. Even now sounds a bit too late (anyone who can read Russian can check the 2014 publication date, link provided on request)

In my fic, Megaroad-01 ended up stranded on a hidden Protoculture colony. While the protagonist did not accept Protoculture living, Minmay accepted it with gusto. She threw herself at researching Protoculture music, being very tired of the restrictive musical norms that her early public identity as "the idol Minmay who saved the Earth" imposed. I basically have her sing "Survivor" (by Mari Iijima, who else) but state she was involved in MUCH more variety than that.

The Protoculture remnant keeps itself hidden and only lets well-trusted people leave (Ranshe Mei was one, in my fic Ranka really has Protoculture blood, explaining her green hair and ability to move her hair - but she thinks it is Zentradi; also in my fic Minmay taught Ranshe to sing). However, my protagonist manages to escape at the end of the Vajra war.

I never explored what happened to Minmay after he left, sort of assuming she settled in. Come to think of it, Macer's escape could have unsettled her and pushed her to leave as well. But what I wonder now is - if Minmay is Lady M, then she was, in canon, doing research on Protoculture music all this time? Berger says Lady M did just that? And where would she need to be, with a missing ship, in order to do it? Did canon actually make the same decision I made?

Edited by Saruta

Dude... don't worry about "canon", it's bad for your mental health.

Just write a good story, we're doing fanfiction, Kawamori isn't going to read our works anyway... at least not mine in spanish <_<

Unfortunately nor can I read your story. Because it's in Spanish :) I really like some of the ideas mentioned (finally classical music in Macrossverse).

Edited by Saruta

==

So on the tech thread I asked how the Wind swinger's voice, a boy soprano, was going to be preserved into adulthood. It was historically preserved with castration. This train of thought led me to a speed-fic which I am copying here because it belongs here.

Roid: "Your Majesty, prepare. It is time for your operation".

Heinz: "The Wind calls me, our skies need it, the galaxy needs it" (sighs) "I liked you, Star Singer"

Mikumo (still in shibari-style belt bondage): "What? What operation?"

Roid: "The change that will preserve the voice of the Wind SInger"

Mikumo: *realizes* *turns red, eyes wide"

Roid: "Rudanjal rom..."

Heinz: *suddenly looks at Mikumo in desperation*

Mikumo: *breaks out of bondage, kicks Roid in the groin, sings*

Heinz: *sings*

Sigur Valens: *goes on rampage threatening extinction of all life on Windermere*

Mikumo and Heinz: *look at each other, sparks in their eyes, then their songs join, controlling the SV and knocking Roid out cold*

Keith, running in: BROTHER! I just heard he was planning to... *offs Roid*

cue happy ending.

:)

• 2 weeks later...