The Fanfiction Thread

frothymug

• 2 weeks later...

No apology needed! just wanted to give LSB the credit!

My influences come from Mospeada and Bubblegum Crisis - so think Blue, Green and Red for the Brawlers . . .

Hey hey... You're welcome for pointing you in the right direction... lol. LSB is an awesome designer/comic book artist. Those mechs look great!

Figured I'd post a semi-original mecha for my Macross Elysium comic.

The VF-1X/C Valkyrie Plus is a civilian variation of the venerable VF-1X+. It’s primary use is to train flight students at Wright Academy on the Macross-28. The X/C is the last step for flight students who, up until this point, have practiced in only EX-gear and simulators. Beyond this, students at Wright Academy have the option to join the military or use their flight experience to become a civilian pilot.

The VF-1X/C, while appearing little different than the VF-1A from 2007, is a completely different aircraft beneath the skin. It’s fitted with Shinnakasu F2079J Thermonuclear Reaction Turbofans that give it a thrust/weight ratio of 3.14/1. The vernier thrusters have been changed to the P&W HMM-7 high-maneuverability vernier thrusters of the VF-19, and the foot/thrust vectoring nozzles have been replaced with the more modern design from the VF-1P.

The craft features improved radar and LIDAR systems, and features a training laser to simulate combat when the primary ROV-20 (used only for self defense in emergencies) is not in use. While the X/C lacks a pinpoint barrier, it’s energy conversion armor is more effective than it’s 50 year old counterpart due to the more powerful engines. The lower fins used for stabilization in high speed have been lengthened and reinforced, and are able to fold over the leg when in Battroid mode to better protect the main landing gear. In addition, several unnecessary moving parts, such as the airbrake behind the cockpit have been replaced by armored panels, again similar to the VF-1X and P.

For extra-curricular mock dogfight events, all VF-1X/Cs at Wright Academy are able to equip the GU-11E gunpod, a development of the GU-11 55mm pod. The pods used in such mock dogfights typically carry the classic paint rounds that have been used since the early 2000’s for combat training. The E model differs from the GU-11D in that it’s been equipped with a folding foregrip that also is used for a second attachment point when in fighter mode. The benefit of two attachment points is that recoil from the gunpod fire has a lessened effect of pylon deflection that has been a plaguing problem of gunpods since the 30mm GPU-5 on the F-16. The GU-11E also has been equipped with an unjamming system known as a “Forward assist”, that manually cycles the weapon in the case of a jam. Despite it’s use as a training platform, the GU-11E can easily be equipped with military ammunition such as API and HE.

tumblr_nequagrWyz1sn809zo1_1280.jpg

Hey hey... You're welcome for pointing you in the right direction... lol. LSB is an awesome designer/comic book artist. Those mechs look great!

But like all the greats on this site - its slow going ! ( i.e. tundra yeti etc )

I have to beg a lot, wait and wait some more - but his stuff is worth it . . .

The VF-1X/C Valkyrie Plus is a civilian variation of the venerable VF-1X+. It’s primary use is to train flight students at Wright Academy on the Macross-28. The X/C is the last step for flight students who, up until this point, have practiced in only EX-gear and simulators. Beyond this, students at Wright Academy have the option to join the military or use their flight experience to become a civilian pilot.

The VF-1X/C, while appearing little different than the VF-1A from 2007, is a completely different aircraft beneath the skin. It’s fitted with Shinnakasu F2079J Thermonuclear Reaction Turbofans that give it a thrust/weight ratio of 3.14/1. The vernier thrusters have been changed to the P&W HMM-7 high-maneuverability vernier thrusters of the VF-19, and the foot/thrust vectoring nozzles have been replaced with the more modern design from the VF-1P.

The craft features improved radar and LIDAR systems, and features a training laser to simulate combat when the primary ROV-20 (used only for self defense in emergencies) is not in use. While the X/C lacks a pinpoint barrier, it’s energy conversion armor is more effective than it’s 50 year old counterpart due to the more powerful engines. The lower fins used for stabilization in high speed have been lengthened and reinforced, and are able to fold over the leg when in Battroid mode to better protect the main landing gear. In addition, several unnecessary moving parts, such as the airbrake behind the cockpit have been replaced by armored panels, again similar to the VF-1X and P.

For extra-curricular mock dogfight events, all VF-1X/Cs at Wright Academy are able to equip the GU-11E gunpod, a development of the GU-11 55mm pod. The pods used in such mock dogfights typically carry the classic paint rounds that have been used since the early 2000’s for combat training. The E model differs from the GU-11D in that it’s been equipped with a folding foregrip that also is used for a second attachment point when in fighter mode. The benefit of two attachment points is that recoil from the gunpod fire has a lessened effect of pylon deflection that has been a plaguing problem of gunpods since the 30mm GPU-5 on the F-16. The GU-11E also has been equipped with an unjamming system known as a “Forward assist”, that manually cycles the weapon in the case of a jam. Despite it’s use as a training platform, the GU-11E can easily be equipped with military ammunition such as API and HE.

Nice!

Nice work. I like the details. I'm just working on a complete revision of the VF-3000 Crusader profile and I read the details about the GU-11D gun pod in the Variable FIghter Master File for the VF-1 Valkyrioe, Vol. 2. It's cool that you named your gun the GU-11E and made it a variant off the Crusader's gun.

Nice work. I like the details. I'm just working on a complete revision of the VF-3000 Crusader profile and I read the details about the GU-11D gun pod in the Variable FIghter Master File for the VF-1 Valkyrioe, Vol. 2. It's cool that you named your gun the GU-11E and made it a variant off the Crusader's gun.

Ah, Seto told me you were looking for a copy of that Masterfile. I'm glad you finally got one! And hey- thanks for the kind words!

Ah, Seto told me you were looking for a copy of that Masterfile. I'm glad you finally got one! And hey- thanks for the kind words!

Thanks, I'm really happy I was able to get Vol. 2. I'm not likely to buy all the Master FIle books, but I do own the first two VF-1 books, the VF-19 book and the VF-25 book. They have some good stuff, including some uncolored line art....hmmmmm :)

Thanks, I'm really happy I was able to get Vol. 2. I'm not likely to buy all the Master FIle books, but I do own the first two VF-1 books, the VF-19 book and the VF-25 book. They have some good stuff, including some uncolored line art....hmmmmm :)

That kind of stuff (along with the material on your website) is a godsend for fan artists like myself.

Only complaint: an AR style Forward assist doesn't make sense on a rotary cannon. Mechanically it just wouldn't work.

Edited by anime52k8

Only complaint: an AR style Forward assist doesn't make sense on a rotary cannon. Mechanically it just wouldn't work.

I had actually considered that, and I figured this forward assist would work not to really do what the AR-15's does, but to manually rotate the barrels inch by inch to help eject the jammed round(s) in the event of a jam that would be too strong for the electric motor to clear.

That kind of stuff (along with the material on your website) is a godsend for fan artists like myself.

That's so nice of you to say Falcon. Thank you so much. If you ever need any other reference that I can help with, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, the first part of Macross Elysium's Chapter 2 "Contact" is up on Deviant art and Tumblr! I hope you enjoy!
Deviantart: http://kylefalconkpd.deviantart.com/…/Macross-Elysium-CHAPT…

Tumblr: http://the-valkyrie-hangar.tumblr.com/…/macross-elysium-cha…
Follow from Chapter One here:
http://kylefalconkpd.deviantart.com/…/51587…/Macross-Elysium

post-18937-0-33813300-1422859006_thumb.jpg

this is some mighty fine conceptual drawing! very impressive! loving the re-designed gun pod and head unit! the triangular head visor is quite interesting!

this is some mighty fine conceptual drawing! very impressive! loving the re-designed gun pod and head unit! the triangular head visor is quite interesting!

Thanks for the kind words, Spanner! I'm working on a VF-4 with similar upgrades for Instructors to fly.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I tried to write a fanfic, it didn't go anywhere, as there wasn't any support on this site for it, and because I didn't have a plan. I'm thinking now that I'm going to give it another go.

So the idea that I've come up with just after reading some of the posts here:

Setting would be on a New Macross colony fleet similar to Frontier, big city ship with the island configuration, a smattering of cultures from earth (broken into districts to keep the aesthetics consistent, but lots of mobility), with provision for Normal sized zentradi on the other islands. Changing size would be just like on frontier, not a big deal, and not required except in the main city. Big difference would be that the fleet doesn't identify with the NUNS, instead they hold on to the Identity of the Original United Earth. The Fleet would operate very much like an independent republic, with a free and open society (much like an Idealized United States), with each ship having representatives and senators elected from within. The Military forces would be professional soldiers (18 and up), and there would be some military prep schools (high schools) and a Military Academy (University level). In addition to civilian equivalents.

For mecha, I'm going to use a lot of previously established mecha.

VF-11E/F- Main variable mecha for the fleet. 10% size increase from the C/D models, to allow for uptuned engines, small internal bays, and additional safety equipment. Armed with standard C/D model gunpod, but upgraded with a detachable anti armor bayonet. Additionally Airframe has been fitted with 6 underwing hardpoints, and has the capability to use an upgraded Armor Protect System (used as battroid support for destroid units). E model is a single seat fighter, F model is a tandem seat fighter, used for training and Electronic Warfare.

VF-19C/D - (YF-19/VF-19A upgrade) Special Mission Fighter for the fleet. Used in a variety of roles, but usually as a high speed penetrator, used for air interdiction and superiority missions. C model is a single seat fighter, D model is a tandem seat fighter. D model is used primarily for training, however both are used in conjunction during air raids. D model functions as airborne forward air control, and command and control. D model also contains more powerful sensors used for SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) missions.

VF-17E - Upgraded VF-17D. Special Mission Fighter, used for high speed penetration of enemy air defenses. With the inherent stealth characteristics of the design, and the addition of more advanced active stealth systems as well a pinpoint barrier system this fighter is typically used to destroy key enemy facilities, or when properly equipped, is used to take out small enemy capital ships. The standard gunpod can be switched out for a high output beam cannon. This beam cannon can be utilized in any mode, and is constructed from stealth materials, but must be mounted under the hull of the aircraft. When firing the cannon the barrel splits open (essentially a miniaturized macross cannon) and the radar cross section increases exponentially (from virtually null, to glaringly obvious).

SV-53 - Upgraded SV-51, space worthy and with more powerful engines. Dedicated CAS (Close Air Support) platform. Single seat only. Using a system similar to the YF-21, it can alter the shape of its wings, though this capacity is limited to improving its low speed flight characteristics. In fighter mode it has 8 underwing hardpoints, and 2 under fuselage stations located forward on the intakes just below the wing root cannons.

VA-3/EVA-3 - Primary Bomber and electronic warfare mecha. VA-3 model is specific to this fleet, and has a crew of 2. EVA-3 has a crew of 4, and is usually used where dedicated electronic warfare craft are needed. EVA-3 can also be equipped with early warning sensor packs (similar to the VE-1). These aircraft are quite large for variable mecha.

Destroids - Tomahawk, Defender, Phalanx and Monster destroids will see some action, since I have a special love for them.

My Idea is to have this fleet have friction with the NUNS. This will be set in the frontier era, but they're using mecha that has already been seen in the UN Spacy inventory. I'm planning on having some new enemies and some old ones. Remnant Zentradi, as well as enthralled human/zentradi soldiers. I'm going to also have some conflict between the fleet and the NUNS. In the case of the NUNS conflicts, I'm going to show my fleet as being behind technologically (my VF-11E/F would still be surpassed by the VF-171, and the VF-25 would surpass the VF-19C/D). It's my intent to focus on other parts of macross than just fighters in space.

This is just my ideas right now.

Nice setting man.

I'm using Zentradi troops too as part of my story and the posibilities are endless... mostly because we know very little about them outside the Boddol-Zel fleet.

Edited by Gerli

I also want to be somewhat realistic. I plan on making all of my VF pilots commissioned officers, while destroid pilots would be both comissioned and warrant officers.

In addition to destroids, there would be fixed Battroids, much like an Arm Slave from Full Metal Panic. These would be piloted by infantrymen to put them on equal footing with Zentradi. It would be special use equipment, and function with the same type of master-slave system. Their armament would be restricted to mecha scale infantry type weapons, (Rifles, pistols, machine guns, and rocket launchers).

I'm going to try to show more than just space combat, because that gets a little boring...

ah sweet! looking forward to seeing that one! B))

Thanks, Spanner. I actually lost the lineart I was working on so I'll have to make new art, but the VF-4X "Saker Siren" has indeed made it's debut in my comic! page2_by_kylefalconkpd-d8g2i36.jpgpage8_by_kylefalconkpd-d8g2lfd.jpg

Last time I tried to write a fanfic, it didn't go anywhere, as there wasn't any support on this site for it, and because I didn't have a plan. I'm thinking now that I'm going to give it another go.

So the idea that I've come up with just after reading some of the posts here:

Setting would be on a New Macross colony fleet similar to Frontier, big city ship with the island configuration, a smattering of cultures from earth (broken into districts to keep the aesthetics consistent, but lots of mobility), with provision for Normal sized zentradi on the other islands. Changing size would be just like on frontier, not a big deal, and not required except in the main city. Big difference would be that the fleet doesn't identify with the NUNS, instead they hold on to the Identity of the Original United Earth. The Fleet would operate very much like an independent republic, with a free and open society (much like an Idealized United States), with each ship having representatives and senators elected from within. The Military forces would be professional soldiers (18 and up), and there would be some military prep schools (high schools) and a Military Academy (University level). In addition to civilian equivalents.

For mecha, I'm going to use a lot of previously established mecha.

VF-11E/F- Main variable mecha for the fleet. 10% size increase from the C/D models, to allow for uptuned engines, small internal bays, and additional safety equipment. Armed with standard C/D model gunpod, but upgraded with a detachable anti armor bayonet. Additionally Airframe has been fitted with 6 underwing hardpoints, and has the capability to use an upgraded Armor Protect System (used as battroid support for destroid units). E model is a single seat fighter, F model is a tandem seat fighter, used for training and Electronic Warfare.

VF-19C/D - (YF-19/VF-19A upgrade) Special Mission Fighter for the fleet. Used in a variety of roles, but usually as a high speed penetrator, used for air interdiction and superiority missions. C model is a single seat fighter, D model is a tandem seat fighter. D model is used primarily for training, however both are used in conjunction during air raids. D model functions as airborne forward air control, and command and control. D model also contains more powerful sensors used for SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) missions.

VF-17E - Upgraded VF-17D. Special Mission Fighter, used for high speed penetration of enemy air defenses. With the inherent stealth characteristics of the design, and the addition of more advanced active stealth systems as well a pinpoint barrier system this fighter is typically used to destroy key enemy facilities, or when properly equipped, is used to take out small enemy capital ships. The standard gunpod can be switched out for a high output beam cannon. This beam cannon can be utilized in any mode, and is constructed from stealth materials, but must be mounted under the hull of the aircraft. When firing the cannon the barrel splits open (essentially a miniaturized macross cannon) and the radar cross section increases exponentially (from virtually null, to glaringly obvious).

SV-53 - Upgraded SV-51, space worthy and with more powerful engines. Dedicated CAS (Close Air Support) platform. Single seat only. Using a system similar to the YF-21, it can alter the shape of its wings, though this capacity is limited to improving its low speed flight characteristics. In fighter mode it has 8 underwing hardpoints, and 2 under fuselage stations located forward on the intakes just below the wing root cannons.

VA-3/EVA-3 - Primary Bomber and electronic warfare mecha. VA-3 model is specific to this fleet, and has a crew of 2. EVA-3 has a crew of 4, and is usually used where dedicated electronic warfare craft are needed. EVA-3 can also be equipped with early warning sensor packs (similar to the VE-1). These aircraft are quite large for variable mecha.

Destroids - Tomahawk, Defender, Phalanx and Monster destroids will see some action, since I have a special love for them.

My Idea is to have this fleet have friction with the NUNS. This will be set in the frontier era, but they're using mecha that has already been seen in the UN Spacy inventory. I'm planning on having some new enemies and some old ones. Remnant Zentradi, as well as enthralled human/zentradi soldiers. I'm going to also have some conflict between the fleet and the NUNS. In the case of the NUNS conflicts, I'm going to show my fleet as being behind technologically (my VF-11E/F would still be surpassed by the VF-171, and the VF-25 would surpass the VF-19C/D). It's my intent to focus on other parts of macross than just fighters in space.

This is just my ideas right now.

Honestly, I think you're going about it backwards. without interesting characters and a compelling story, your fic will fall flat. You should be spending more time developing that than working on how to make the mechanics "realistic."

If you focus mostly on the capabilities of the VF-11, you won't be bored, but your audience probably will be...

Honestly, I think you're going about it backwards. without interesting characters and a compelling story, your fic will fall flat. You should be spending more time developing that than working on how to make the mechanics "realistic."

If you focus mostly on the capabilities of the VF-11, you won't be bored, but your audience probably will be...

I haven't got to the characters yet. The mecha was easy to do off the cuff because It was already at the front. I'm thinking about characters, and I want them to be interesting and multi dimensional, so they require a bit more thought. Every good macross story seems to involve a counterpoint to the military, someone with a pacifist bent (Lynn Kaifun or Nekki Basara). So I think I'm going to include that as an element (maybe a pacifist movement in the fleet). I can do warriors as characters, because that's something I know well. I've seen war protests, and I'm familiar enough with pacifist philosophy that I could write that. Music is also a big deal in macross, as is the allure of culture, so I want to include those as elements. I need to keep my core cast of characters small, so it's easier to develop them. Before long I'll post a list of my core characters once I get them outlined. If y'all don't mind helping me flesh them out. Some of it is likely to be derivative of previous macross works.

I'm not sure you're really understanding my point, or maybe I'm not explaining it well enough...

I guess the first question to ask yourself is, "Why does this story need to be told, and why do I need to tell it?"

Edited by Gubaba

Thanks, Spanner. I actually lost the lineart I was working on so I'll have to make new art, but the VF-4X "Saker Siren" has indeed made it's debut in my comic! page2_by_kylefalconkpd-d8g2i36.jpgpage8_by_kylefalconkpd-d8g2lfd.jpg

Oh wow, the old-school prototype huh? Non-TF or are you going to attempt to take the plunge on something there?

Also, I just noticed you have a totally awesome pic of the VF-4 spamming missiles as your photo. Where can I see a larger version of that?

Oh wow, the old-school prototype huh? Non-TF or are you going to attempt to take the plunge on something there?

Also, I just noticed you have a totally awesome pic of the VF-4 spamming missiles as your photo. Where can I see a larger version of that?

Oh, it's a normal VF-4, with a few upgrades and sans armament. You can tell the production VF-4 apart from the VF-X-4 by the canards and larger, swept wings. The pic in my profile image was done by me, too. You can see it here:

http://kylefalconkpd.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Mission-VF-X-VF-4-Lightning-III-504671179

I'm not sure you're really understanding my point, or maybe I'm not explaining it well enough...

I guess the first question to ask yourself is, "Why does this story need to be told, and why do I need to tell it?"

Yeah, I get what your saying. Honestly it appears that I'm doing it backwards, but the story and characters have always been there first, and it's evolving. I did the mecha off the cuff.

I'm working on that part. I wanted to get the setting and mechanical stuff out of the way while it was fresh in my mind (Had a lot of that running around because of another thread). The setting will help he with the context. I want to explore some some philosophical issues with macross continuity that is only hinted at in SDFM. I also wanted to explore a bit of a love story, that involves the distinct cultures of humans and zentradi, and kinda explore a little of the cultural ethnocentrism that kinda happens, and the seeming segregation of Zentradi and humans. I know it's not really that way, because there is interaction and mobility between different aspects of society. I plan to explore the difficulties you might see between a Zentradi and human that are not willing to give up their distinct cultural identities.

I also want to explore the world that is Macross, in a fleet that is in conflict with the NUNS, because of it's ties with the old UN Spacy. I want to explore a bit of the pacifist ideology that is present in Macross, from the eyes of a warrior at odds with a pacifist movement. I have character concepts, but I'm working on filling them out and naming them. It is a bit backwards as I'm posting it, but I assure you I'm putting thought into all of it.

I also Chose a name for my fleet, and I hope it hasn't been taken. Macross Horizon. Please let me know if it already exists as I don't want to infringe any copyrights, or step on anyone's toes...

Edited by Valkyrie Driver