Breaking this off the general Gundam show thread...

Official site

Premieres October 2011.

Director: Susumu Yamaguchi

Story Supervisor: Akihiro Hino

Character Designs: Takuzō Nagano (original designs), Michinori Chiba

Mechanical Design: Kanetake Ebikawa, Junya Ishigaki, Kenji Teraoka

http://gundamguy.blo...am-age-new.html

HG 1/144 & Mega Size 1/48 Gundam Age will be the initial releases this Fall... and MG 1/100 Gundam Age is being worked on.

PV: http://www.nicovideo...atch/sm14732820 (you can use: http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html to view the PV on Nico)

Enemy mecha look a lot like the Gillgamesh from Macross II, and the character designs definately look like Digimon. BUT, if they're willing to show a protagonists mom get crushed, I'm willing to give it a chance, and hope it has a Victory style dark tone.

Gundam AGE - GAFRAN

8.jpg

I especially like the enemy mecha.

Seeing the name of Junya Ishigaki on the list, I think it's not a coincidence that Vajra and Gafran look like each other :) + Commander Type Gafran is purple >>> Cool

Macross Frontier - Vajra

vajra-large.png

Edited by charger69

Digimon, what they want younger kids to buy their gunpla? Tapping a new market?

They always tapping a new market every time they release new series. Even Katsumi Kawaguchi himself in his rant admit that G Gundam was marketed for children and W and SEED to gain popularity with female fans. Even the release of "serious" stuff like 0083 was made for new market that is hardcore fans that was too old for mainstream series. There's a limit on depending on hardcore adult market so why not go into where the money is :p .

Edited by reeoyuy

Gundam AGE - GAFRAN

8.jpg

I especially like the enemy mecha.

Seeing the name of Junya Ishigaki on the list, I think it's not a coincidence that Vajra and Gafran look like each other :) + Commander Type Gafran is purple >>> Cool

Hopefully Bandai will make a MG kit of this.

Edited by Vifam7

Trailer on Youtube

As it is, the trailer isn't that special. But for something with that kind of character design, it looks OK. Far from the likes of Digimon or Bakugan etc.

meh. unimpressed. the first thing i thought of seeing the ememy mecha 'So that's what the Eva Angels are up to now. Type casted as Evil Enemy Gundam Eva Angels now...'

did the hero smack down his Black Lotus card to power up the Gundamn Aerospace Ground Equipment? :rolleyes:

did the hero smack down his Black Lotus card to power up the Gundamn Aerospace Ground Equipment? :rolleyes:

No, that device is some sort of memory unit or something

AGE Device:

The memory unit stores the building blocks of the Gundam memory passed on by the Asuno lineage including the AGE System's basic engineering data. The data is obtained throught the research of the Asuno Family, it is a book of family secrets.

And BTW,

8.jpg

Captain with shades. Hello Jamil/Quattro! :p

They always tapping a new market every time they release new series. Even Katsumi Kawaguchi himself in his rant admit that G Gundam was marketed for children and W and SEED to gain popularity with female fans. Even the release of "serious" stuff like 0083 was made for new market that is hardcore fans that was too old for mainstream series. There's a limit on depending on hardcore adult market so why not go into where the money is :p .

I found that funny that someone actually responded to the rantings... and it sounds almost exactly what everyone else has been saying. :lol:

It's got a super robot vibe, a bit like all the retro 70s anime of late. A back to basics gundam show like 0079 shouldn't be too bad. No emo bishies is a definite plus.

I found that funny that someone actually responded to the rantings... and it sounds almost exactly what everyone else has been saying. :lol:

As devout follower of Gunpla God Kawaguchi, I will spread his words to all nonbelievers :p

Anyway, I found this description on one particular site:

Sunrise has announced the latest Gundam anime as “Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE,” and Gundam otaku of both sexes are aghast at the fact that there will likely be no more bishonen or bishoujo to onanise over…

Same problem as many other animated projects--a clash of styles.

Lush 2D hand-drawn characters with cheap CG backgrounds always looks bad.

3D Flash-generated characters over painted 2D backdrops always looks bad.

And Digimon-esque semi-SD characters piloting realistic Gundams looks bad...

Basically, they dropped Digimon characters into Frontier's world---it just plain looks weird.

Mobile Suit Gundam has never been as good since 0080, 0083, F-91 & Char's Counter Attack. Even the The 08th MS Team was pretty fun to watch, but lately its gotten bad and this new series looks rancid. Good call charger69, that was my 1st thought.... looks like a non Red Vajra for a moment there.

I've had difficulty getting into any sort of post-90's, non-U.C. Gundam stuff. Every time I try, I'm always disappointed with the mecha designs. And considering mobile suits are so vital to Gundam storylines, this is an important aspect to me. I'm sorry to say Gundam AGE doesn't look any different. :(

This is how a true Gundam fan would rate this show:

• Characters (-10) : Weird undefined style.
  • Animation Quality (-20): Reminds me of Astro Plan from Outer Space
  • Mecha Designs (-10): Everything looks boxy in a bad way.
  • Originality (+10) ... erh nvm, the century saga is actually pretty novel, so I shall deduct 20 points instead - all gundams MUST follow the same damm story pattern with a Char & Amuro archetype dammit!
  • Not UC (-50)

Not UC (-50)

Lolz.

I don't think the gundam designs are terrible (see my post above). I just don't really get the whole "panning a whole century" story concept or the weird pokedex used to activate the mobile suit...

Also, I agree with others that the hand-drawn stuff looks out of place in the CG setting.

Edited by Archer

[*]Not UC (-50)

Got to agree with this one, I still consider anything outside UC as Gundam Wannabe.

Now where's my MS IGLOO the series? Or at least make a series based on Advance of Zeta, they got several nice MS there.

Well I'll pass judgement in the fall, but I'm already feeling like I'm watching a seed rehash in animation of the mobile suits, but with character designs almost fitting of a retro styling meeting digimon. But guess just have to wait and see. If we have 3 generations of main characters, either we'll see a long season or very short stories. Or they'll pull like a KR Kiva thing, back and forth through the previous generations and future.