What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

-The last episode of Gargantia aka Kugel redoes the entire first eight episodes with new stuff.... And it was awesome! They cut out the clutter that dragged the series down (not counting the terribad music or fanservicy blushy characters *shudders*) and replaced it with stuff that was actually *gasp* fuggin GREAT! :o Dang it I'm PO'd now!

-Kill la Kill ep 7. Okay, HUGE issue with the "moral" of this episode

The typical money does not matter moral, it'd be nice if that was the cause about this. I can't believe I am saying this, but I have to side with Mako's family. It is one thing to let greed take a hold of you, but this is SURVIVAL. Have you seen the unhealthy trash they consume on a constant basis? Regardless of whether or not one of them is doctor (probably a bad one at that), that WILL EVENTUALLY KILL THEM. This episode also shows that this society is not based on currency as much as it is status where only people with status can be given decent living conditions and food that is *gasp* healthy! Also, why doesn't Mako just attack the Kamui? I mean she knows that is the source of Ryuko's power and this episode shows that she does have cognitive functions, she has intelligence, she SHOULD KNOW THAT. THERE WAS NO REASON TO BE HER UP, JUST DESTROY HER CLOTHES!

-Valvrave ep 18. Oh for flip sake.

BOTH sides are evil? BOTH!? This isn't even like in a gundam series where you can claim independence/self defense/extreme fear/we have weird leaders/etc. Both governments basically do ultra-heinous experiments on their people before they're even in conflict with one another and then they fight each other for no legitimate reason! If one of them was ran by demons or aliens or something it can be justified, but I've seen better motivations from old 70s robot series. The only way I could buy this is if the Magius are using both sides as puppets and even then WHO is their leader making them do this? WHY manipulate both sides into war? I'll give the series a chance to explain itself, but this was handled so poorly, so contrived, so hamfisted, so.... GAH! Why does this series try so fuggin hard to not be salvaged? Is it TRYING to be bad? I'm so divided on this I don't think I can even give it a score! Can I give something a 1/10 for not even trying to be bad but just OUT RIGHT FAI-

*punches wall*

This isn't even like Linebarrels of Iron where the complaints are even gene- Actually, no, this IS Linebarrels! THIS IS A LINEBARRELS OF IRON AS DONE BY KUNIO OKAWARA! PURU PURU PURU PURU PURU PURU PURU PURU PURU! AND YOU GET AN AT FIELD! AND YOU GET AND AT FIELD! AND YOU GET AN AT FIELD! OPRAH IS HANDING OUT ZONDAR SPORES TO EVERYONE! BRING YOUR OWN PROTOCULTURE! WHEEEEEEEE!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

DG2099: I can only comment on Kill la Kill; here are my thoughts:

I agree with you on the issue of "status" in this episode. It doesn't seem to mesh with the usual morality play on greed at all. To me, even though Matoi wins every physical battle at the end she doesn't come out unscathed. Remember Kiryuin had her own plan? On the one hand she wanted to test Matoi and Mako's friendship, and on the other hand she wanted to see if Matoi would assimilate herself into the student council system. At the end of the episode, it's obvious that the friendship is secure. Mako wasn't able to fight Matoi at her full strength because she still cared about Matoi, and Matoi just stood there taking it because she had faith in that friendship. However, that was the only up side. The student council side of it seems a little foreboding.

For instance, after Mako and her family are done apologizing prostrate at the end and everyone returns to the slums, Senketsu notes that Matoi got back her loud family meals (admitting a selfish purpose to the whole affair). I think that is key. Matoi is doing exactly what Kiryuin has done in that she is surrounding herself with a close goup of valuable people that she trusts. I mean, we only know of two Kamui-level suits at this point, but Matoi isn't really doing anything different with her strategy. At the moment, she is just a smaller dictator with a super-powerful weapon molding the world as she wants it. Because of that, she is becoming just like Kiryuin in her quest to find answers. I wonder if the writers will keep pursuing this angle or wipe it clean in the next episode?

I am watching, and really enjoying, ship-moe anime Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova. Oh Japan!.... only you can come up with something as epic as a Tsundere Heavy Cruiser.

http://aokihagane.wikia.com/wiki/Takao

This anime certainly gives "shipping" a whole new context. And instead of having a harem, the MC has a fleet...As you said, Oh Japan!

Just finished Chrome Shelled Regios and severely underwhelmed by the series ending. All of the major plotlines were left unresolved and no hint at a second season coming up. It had some decent action and neat sci-fi concepts (however unrealistic), but the flashbacks confused the heck out of me (maybe they were an alternate story or movie, it wasn't clear).

Guest davidwhangchoi

Up to ep 30 in Gundam SEED and loving it to frakking bits! Best Gundam I've seen so far by a country frakking mile. Everything in the UC are jokes in comparison.

i love seed but have to say they ripped plots from previous gundams.

0083 is no joke :)

I got banned from MAHQ because the owner was under the assumption I caused disruptions on purpose, so I can understand where you're coming from Ghost Train.

As for this topic I managed to continue Night Head Genesis up to episode 9, which now seems to be about predicting and stopping the apocalypse (plague style no less) complete with negative/dark energy (I don't think they really named it) being some obstacle. Today I also started watching Giant Gorg and got up to episode 7, generic music aside it is sort of fun and adventurous although the violent death count would make Tomino proud. Finally there is more Valvrave aka STOP THROWING IN FORCED EMOTIONAL SCENES. It is almost as bad as Gundam Age in that regard I swear.

Edit: Oh yeah and there is Kill la Kill episode 8, which actually was not bad, I have to admit.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I feel betrayed. :(

Sorry man but it's just that damn good to me. Not sure why its grabbed me so much but I've got 11 more eps to go and it's got me by the balls. Not saying 0079, Zeta, etc are bad...far from it....but for me SEED is just on a whole 'nother level. Those characters, those intense battles, that animation quality, those beautiful colors popping at me in glorious 720p, those Gundam designs....SEED is just, *gasp*... ORGASMIC!!!!

Keep in mind I have to watch:

G

Wing

Unicorn

Edited by isamu

Guest davidwhangchoi

A long long long time ago on the now non-existent gundam.com forums, I got banned for suggesting that 0083 was good.

that's pretty ignorant of them. lol, i cant say 0083 is the best ever. (but i think it's a classic). that's a series i can watch several times over. doesn't hurt some shooting sound effects are shared with dyrl and gp 01 gp-02a mechanical designs are done by the macross god.

Sorry man but it's just that damn good to me. Not sure why its grabbed me so much but I've got 11 more eps to go and it's got me by the balls. Not saying 0079, Zeta, etc are bad...far from it....but for me SEED is just on a whole 'nother level. Those characters, those intense battles, that animation quality, those beautiful colors popping at me in glorious 720p, those Gundam designs....SEED is just, *gasp*... ORGASMIC!!!!

Keep in mind I have to watch:

G

Wing

Unicorn

If you are that impressed with the animation of a 10 year old TV show, than I'm curious on what your reaction will be on Unicorn.

With finally biting the bullet and getting netflix, I was surprised by the amount of 'Anime' content available. I just finished watching Rin (loved it), I tried to continue to watch Full Metal Alchemist but it usually ends up being background noise to something else I am doing (modelling).

I also started Blood, which I found to be pretty appealing. Attack On Titan has been my favourite of this year besides the obligatory rewatch of M.Zero and M.II. :)

I got half way through SEED a few years back and after reading all the love it is getting here I might give it another go. Aquarion, I made an attempt at, but I found the toon render Evangelion rip-off angels to be a bit too offensive to my aesthetic tastes. Still waiting to watch 3.33 btw...

With finally biting the bullet and getting netflix, I was surprised by the amount of 'Anime' content available. I just finished watching Rin (loved it), I tried to continue to watch Full Metal Alchemist but it usually ends up being background noise to something else I am doing (modelling).

I also started Blood, which I found to be pretty appealing. Attack On Titan has been my favourite of this year besides the obligatory rewatch of M.Zero and M.II. :)

I got half way through SEED a few years back and after reading all the love it is getting here I might give it another go. Aquarion, I made an attempt at, but I found the toon render Evangelion rip-off angels to be a bit too offensive to my aesthetic tastes. Still waiting to watch 3.33 btw...

Netflix has a ton of Funimation series and quite a few I really enjoyed. I also loved Rin, Spice and Wolf is really good (very slow-paced, but I'm an accountant and the simplified economics were fun) and they finally added the second season, Eden of the East, and Dance in the Vampire Bund.

Agh, Netflix has no anime at all here in Scandinavia...Bucketload of Hollywood stuff though.

That's too bad, I hear you can do some sort of webmajik to change your location to the American content but I have yet to try it.

Spice and Wolf is really good... Eden of the East, and Dance in the Vampire Bund.

I'll try these out on your suggestion. Thx!

Netflix has a ton of Funimation series and quite a few I really enjoyed. I also loved Rin, Spice and Wolf is really good (very slow-paced, but I'm an accountant and the simplified economics were fun) and they finally added the second season, Eden of the East, and Dance in the Vampire Bund.

Second season of Spice and Wolf, I'll have to start watching again!

Last episode of Kill la Kill has a double whammy of Itano circus and the use of music as a weapon which I think should interest Macross fans. Best use of Franz von Suppe's Light Cavalry I've seen in a long time.

WHY IS THERE NO AUTO SAVE FEA- *cough*

I just finished Night Head Genesis, which I can safely say is an underrated anime series with decent main characters and villains, good conspiracy plot, good writing, good action, nice trippy scenes, and good use of suspense and horror. The only downsides to this are the music being bleh (although the second ending theme is better than the first), pacing going back and forth between fast and slow although in the last quarter they fixed it, and aside from one runaway girl that later becomes a spirit no character shows up more than four episodes so don't expect much character development.

Kill la Kill, haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I saw last week which was basically a bondage mummy battle. There was not much to it, not sure why people think this was manly.

Earlier this week I started watching Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos and WOW that animation is horrendous, it would make God Mars and Tobikage blush! At least the action seems decent.

And then there is Valvrave which in episode 21 destroyed what chance it had from getting a 5, 6, or 7 out of 10 from me. Just.... GAH! So much bad logic! Tomino, Anno, and Kawamori would be disgusted. The only good thing coming from this is the Kirschbaums, they proved grunt units can be awesome. I never had this problem with Code Geass or Guilty Crown, but I guess third time is the charm when making something terribad!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Earlier I watched last week's and this week's episodes of Kill la Kill. Yeah, waaaaaay too many random powers coming from that Kamui Ryuko is using. At least samurai guy got what came to him. I also feel bad for data analyzer guy, he might actually be a decent character if he had an actual attack or something. Then there is this new girl that interrupts fights but hey it is totally okay because

she was Ryuko's father's killer! That honestly could have been handled so much better. Just.... Ugh. It is like it took a note from Extraordinary Zubat and failed to realize what made it great.

Maybe Trigger will go bankrupt after this or at least enough of a disaster to make them change, but with Gainax's ravenous North American fans that seems unlikely.

I started watching Chobits because it has been a while since I took on Clamp's junk and.... Well this will be unpleasant. Not even sure why main guy can't tell his neighbor "oh yeah I found this gynoid in someone's trash" WHY WERE YOU HIDING HER SHE WAS JUST HARDWARE? Since I am watching this dubbed the word "cute" gets tossed around too much. You know what? Screw it, that is a new pet peeve of mine: Calling girls cute. Plushies, animals, plants, and even babies are cute, but after say preschool humans are not fuggin cute. Just.... GAH!

And finally I got to episode 16 of Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos yesterday and wow I did not expect the subs to get even more crabsticky, but they did. Action, pacing, and mechs are decent and there are good monsters of the week and music, but the animation and continuity are just so inconsistent it takes you out of it. I also like how in episode 14 some girl tries to kill Rom because he killed her father (in self defense) a few episodes back seemingly unable to forgive him yet he acts kind a few times and she goes "he can't be bad so I'll forgive him!" WHO WROTE THIS? Then there is Leina (Rom's sister), most useless damsel in distress character EVER! She contributes less than Daphne from Scooby Doo and no I am not taking that back. This would not bug me so much if the other characters were interesting and.... They REALLY ARE NOT, both protags and antags. Well, okay, Blue Jet does try to act cool and Rom likes being the big ham of justice, but otherwise eh. Triple Jim is almost as useless as Leina and Rod Drill is just a wild guy that likes sneaking up on enemies. The Gyandler are not much better: Gadess I will withhold thoughts until the end, he has potential to be awesome, Diondra is just a typical evil woman, Devil Satan 6 is just six generic thugs that would have been dead in the first episode if not for combining capabilities, and Grunjol (I don't know how to spell his name) is kind of a wimp.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Finished G-Gundam. One word.....PHENOMENAL

Holy crap what a show!

Have you found yourself suddenly blurting out things like: "Look, the East is burning red!"or "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow!". It had that effect on me...

Have you found yourself suddenly blurting out things like: "Look, the East is burning red!"or "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow!". It had that effect on me...

Nah, it's been more like "GUUUUUUUUNDAAAAAAMMMM FEEEEEEEEEEENGAAAAAAAAA" and GUNDAM FAAAAAIIIITO....READYYYYYYYYY GO!!!!!!!!!!

And of course singing the main OP theme of the first half of the series all day long, even on the toilet.

With the help of KYOJIII