What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I think the message to take away from this (and since this is the Internet, I could be way off base) was...

to use spoiler tags.

why did I click on that?!? now the ending is ruined completely for me!!! :wacko:

I have noticed that shows that are airing (or movies that are playing at the cinema) usually get spoiler tags here, if only for the finer details and plot points. If you can talk around that stuff, then you may be okay. However, I may be wrong. It's best to ask a moderator or post a site question. Personally, I'm just following 'net etiquette.

For example, the Yamato 2199 thread is rife with spoilers at the moment because everyone interested in the show is watching the final episodes. The spoiler tags are nice for me because I have yet to watch those episodes. Of course, I can always join in the conversation if I want to be spoiled. The same is true in the Monogatari thread when those new episodes air.

Not everyone is watching the same shows or have yet to watch some of the shows other people are currently watching so it would help to use spoiler tags. And since the individual series threads are normally filled with massive spoilers since people are watching it live, consider this thread a safe zone because it doesn't focus on any particular series. If enough people are watching, then it's probably worth starting an individual thread for a particular series.

This:

A)

OMG! That episode of that show was FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!!

is not the same comment as B)

OMG! Did you see when that character pulled off that crazy move and killed that other character?!?!?!? Or the episode when this character made the move on that girl?!?!?!?! That series FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!!

Watamote was a fun parody, and it ended well. I was surprised by how many people took the series seriously. For instance, that Kotaku article had me scratching my head at times. Anyway, it would be nice to see a second series.

Kill la Kill is introducing more characters, and it's continuing to keep my interest this season.

SAO seems to be more popular than I have expected. When I went to some garage kit events, I saw many Asuna figures.

Edited by antibiotictab

The latest Kill la Kill chapter was pretty good. Besides some awesome combat scenes, we get some idea that the plot might have some more complexity to it than we previously thought. Some characters get interesting development too. Oh, and the soundtrack is great too.

Oh hey, Valvrave this week got good again with conspiracy plot, yippy! This week I started watching Night Head Genesis, I am only three episodes in, but despite the mediocre music and slow pacing this is very well structured, it could become one of my favorite non-mecha anime series. Unfortunately, I can't end on happy note because hey, I'm the exile of MAHQ, happy is not for I! Out of peer pressure I watched the first episode of Kill La Kill. Lets see what we have here: Everyone being obnoxious in personality and voice? Check. Bad music? Check. Too much fan service junk? Check. Bad art and animation with what looks like is very low budget? Check. Lame bad guys? Check. Mixing Blazing Transfer Student plot with FLCL art, Diebuster fan service, and TTGL action and execute it horribly? Check. Well, I've always wanted to rank an anime series a 1/10, maybe I'll get my wish..

I am not a troll.

DG2099 dislikes what is generally considered to be a popular series?

No way...no way.... what are the odds?

Hey now I like Build Fighters and when they were airing Majestic Prince, Gargantia, and The Devil is a Part Timer!

Anyway, four episodes into Kill La Kill (what is with the title anyway?), still obnoxious, still under budget looking, still too in-your-face, and I can't wait until I'm done with it.

Edit: Just finished the last of the aired episodes. Wow, lose a battle and you want your eyes sewn shut? What a sore loser.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I am not a troll.

Hey now I like Build Fighters and when they were airing Majestic Prince, Gargantia, and The Devil is a Part Timer!

Anyway, four episodes into Kill La Kill (what is with the title anyway?), still obnoxious, still under budget looking, still too in-your-face, and I can't wait until I'm done with it.

Edit: Just finished the last of the aired episodes. Wow, lose a battle and you want your eyes sewn shut? What a sore loser.

DG.

It's fine that you don't like KLK. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, whatever their reasoning.

But, PLEEAASEE, could you learn to use the spoiler tag. Some people might you know...actually want to watch this later on. Or catch up?

Just on a finishing note on the chapter you are mentioning now

He didn't sew his eyes shut because he was a sore loser. He did it because he realized he was relying on a single skill to beat his opponents. By sewing his eyes shut, he was forced to use all his other senses and embraced the powers that his uniform gave him. As a result he didn't have any exploitable weaknesses. It's a classic story from many a samurai tale.

Some people might you know...actually want to watch this later on. Or catch up?

I did not say who it happened to specifically so I did not see it as a spoiler.

It's a classic story from many a samurai tale.

Well they certainly handled it poorly here. Plus I know nothing about samurai myths, I do know they acted as private armies of lords and abused the hell out of peasants like Medieval European knights (specifically the UK and France). Oh and rogue ones are called ronins.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

DG2099: The best free advice I can give you when commenting on and criticizing anime on an anime forum is to do research about the subject matter, and to stop shooting down people like Marzan when they take time to help you. It's okay if you don't know anything about samurai myths. However, saying that the Japanese are handling their own myths poorly when you admit to not knowing anything but a vague understanding of a few choice terms is far out there.

If you really want to understand this stuff, and if you really are not trolling for attention or whatever, I think a good place to start in film is with the live-action black-and-white Yojimbo by Akira Kurosawa. From there, I would recommend other Kurosawa films like the original Seven Samurai (from which many anime are based). Of course, you could also read up on the subject if you are so inclined.

Anyway, I agree with Marzan on this. You opinions are your own and no one here will change them. KLK may get better for you or it may just be one of your stinkers, and that's okay.

As for spoiler tags, yes, please start using them!

[ spoiler ] stuff goes here [ / spoiler ]

The code does not always appear, so I typed the syntax above in case you were wondering about it. All you need to do to make that work is remove the spaces within the bold brackets.

Edited by technoblue

I think a good place to start in film is with the live-action black-and-white Yojimbo by Akira Kurosawa. From there, I would recommend other Kurosawa films like the original Seven Samurai (from which many anime are based).

You mean those 3/10 and 5/10 movies that have nothing going for them outside of looking pretty? Those are pretty bad places to start. I'd say those are the worst of Toho, but if you've seen Dogora....
As for spoiler tags, yes, please start using them!

Does that go for everything or just recent stuff?

I do not know what sources you are referencing, DG2009, or even if you know what movies I am talking about. Yojimbo has an 8.3/10 rating on IMDB, and a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and the late Roger Ebert gave it five stars in his own personal review:

1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/
  2. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/yojimbo/
  3. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-yojimbo-1961

I now must question where you get your information from. Can you provide a link to those poor reviews?

Similarly, here are the reviews for Seven Samurai:

1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/
  2. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1018639-seven_samurai/
  3. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-seven-samurai-1954

Again, these are hardly 3/10 or 5/10 reviews. I'm starting to agree with Keith and mecha2241. It seems your only interest is to troll.

For the record, I agree with Einherjar.

DG2099, You question about spoiler tags was already answered by azrael above. In my experience, I have learned that the internet is no place to be obtuse. As an example, you wrote this:

You mean those 3/10 and 5/10 movies that have nothing going for them outside of looking pretty?

But what you meant was this:

"You mean those movies that I rated 3/10 and 5/10 because I thought they have nothing going for them outside of looking pretty?"

Your original statement is stating an opinion as fact, which can be construed as trolling in this context, even if that is not your intention. The second statement that I rewrote based on your last comment, is clearly stating an opinion. Generally, people are good with opinions, because we are all different and have our own way of looking at things and enjoying the world around us. However, when a person tries to push one opinion as a fact for everyone else, that is problematic and can lead to social misunderstandings, especially on forum where you have a number of folks with different cultural backgrounds and varying skill with writing English.

I hope you come to understand this, but I need to take break and get back to discussing anime, sooooo....that's all for now.

Edited by technoblue

Ooooh this is too funny. Seitokai Yakuindomo takes the raunchy level to 11+. :blink:

The girls in this high school are just all perverts. These girls all got their minds in the gutter???? Every sentence has a double meaning. Poor Tusda, one of the few guys in this all girl school, gets so confused as to what the efff is going on. Too hilarious.

Ooooh this is too funny. Seitokai Yakuindomo takes the raunchy level to 11+. :blink:

The girls in this high school are just all perverts. These girls all got their minds in the gutter???? Every sentence has a double meaning. Poor Tusda, one of the few guys in this all girl school, gets so confused as to what the efff is going on. Too hilarious.

It is indeed very funny. Are you watching the TV series or the OVA?

I'm only 4 eps in but KLK is a lot of fun so far. A dash of retro with a big scoop of Gainax.

Also watching Kyoukai no Kanata, it's okay so far. I find Kyoani shows a bit disappointing since Hyouka. Characters are a tad bland and formulaic.

It is indeed very funny. Are you watching the TV series or the OVA?

Just half way through the TV series. Got rib pains from laughing. So many WTF??????? situations.

The most unpredictable and graphic conversations happen with these girls. Miyamae Kanoko from Maria Holic would love this sick and twisted school.

I didnt like KLK that much. It was a bit over the top for my tastes. But then i didnt like.Gurren Lagaan either.

Similarly excuse me forgetting the name, but the show with the girls who are the decendants of Galelao isnt to bad. Not amazing, not the best thing ever. But Its kinda compelling, and Im really interested to see where it goes.

Edited by Scream Man