What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

got hooked on Fairy Tail as well. was just casually watching it whenever i catch it on animax. next thing i knew i was looking up further episodes online. an impromptu marathon later, and i'm up to ep123 and have to wait weekly for the next episode. so went and read the manga and got to ch276, gotta wait till friday for my next fix...

maybe i'll try onepiece which seems similar.

given fairy tail's apparent popularity, i'm surprised it doesn't already have a line of PVC figures. Erza alone has a multitude of costumes, so whoever picks up the license will certainly not be short of options or opportunities.

'Another' ended yesterday. Pretty solid short mistery series that starts well, has a an ok middle and ends on a quite surpising note. At least I didn't see the ending coming. Wasn't too crazy about the gore level in the last 2 episodes though. 'Less is more' in my book.

Altogether though it was probably one of the better series in this dissapointing season. Looking forward to catching the new Eureka Seven and the second half of Fate Zero when they start in april. Until then, Ozma and Mouretsu Pirates shall hold the fort.

Funny how it's rare to find series that actually have a "good" ending. ...just like I was saying the other day in this thread. What series can you guys think of that had a satisfactory ending?

Define satisfactory. Are you looking for a show with a happy smiles ending where everyone’s on a beach sipping mimosas, or an ending that wraps everything up in an effective way that provides just the right amount of closure and fits with the overall mood of the series?

Funny how it's rare to find series that actually have a "good" ending. ...just like I was saying the other day in this thread. What series can you guys think of that had a satisfactory ending?

Cowboy Bebop.

given fairy tail's apparent popularity, i'm surprised it doesn't already have a line of PVC figures. Erza alone has a multitude of costumes, so whoever picks up the license will certainly not be short of options or opportunities.

But a Lucy action figure with the "pop-off" clothing (as seen in one of the episodes) would be the hottest item. :lol:

Currently watching Sky Crawlers.

Graham

You may be disappointed.

Samurai champloo, Heat guy J, Dai-Guard, X-amd Lost memories.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

Define satisfactory. Are you looking for a show with a happy smiles ending where everyone’s on a beach sipping mimosas, or an ending that wraps everything up in an effective way that provides just the right amount of closure and fits with the overall mood of the series?

You know what I mean. Seems like many of the negative opinions on various series in this thread are centered around an unsatisfactory ending. I already specified why I didn't like the ending to the Tenchi Muyo OVA. Not everyone's gonna agree, but you'll have your majority opinions on one side or the other... and it's usually on the negative side.

Hell, there was a bit of griping about the ending to the second Frontier movie. Fortunately, the rest of the movie was epic enough to make up for it. Feels like such a let-down when it doesn't fire on all cylinders like that.

Cowboy Bebop.

This was the first thing I thought about, but I didn't say it because I thought it was already pretty obvious. ;) I was sad about the series conclusion, but it was done so masterfully, it didn't really matter after the dust settled.

I loved Toradora as a whole, but the ending felt like it was rushed. Macross Frontier was awesome, but the ending was also rushed! I felt like they left so many loose ends untied, so it wasn't very satisfactory to me.

I'm wondering if it's just the culture here that differs from the Japanese culture. We've kind of been programmed to expect the heroes to ride off into the sunset after saving the town from a horde of bloodthirsty bandits.

Satisfying endings, hmm:

-Gunbuster

-Gurren Lagann

-Nadia

-Megazone 23 Part 2 (note, not 3!)

-Orguss

-Eureka Seven

-Great Teacher Onizuka

-Galaxy Express 999 (movies + TV series)

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV & Tylor's War, only to be ruined by the incomplete last OVA series)

-Mahoromatic

-School Rumble (ionce you come to turns with it being the only real ending that could have happened there)

-Votoms (even if it did heavily rip-off 2001, such an awesome battle leading up to the end)

-Wings of Honneamise

-Yamato 1 & 2 (especially the knock down drag out brawl with the comet empire that would shape shows like DBZ for years to come).

Note I've left out obvious things like various Macross & Gundam series.

What's wrong with Skycrawlers? It's been a while since I've seen it but I thought it was quite good.

+1

Satisfying endings, hmm:

-Gunbuster

-Gurren Lagann

-Nadia

-Megazone 23 Part 2 (note, not 3!)

-Orguss

-Eureka Seven

-Great Teacher Onizuka

-Galaxy Express 999 (movies + TV series)

-Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV & Tylor's War, only to be ruined by the incomplete last OVA series)

-Mahoromatic

-School Rumble (ionce you come to turns with it being the only real ending that could have happened there)

-Votoms (even if it did heavily rip-off 2001, such an awesome battle leading up to the end)

-Wings of Honneamise

-Yamato 1 & 2 (especially the knock down drag out brawl with the comet empire that would shape shows like DBZ for years to come).

Note I've left out obvious things like various Macross & Gundam series.

I agree with most of these. I'd like to add Code Geass. The reason I include it is because I believe that the ending actually gave perspective and meaning to what had been an uneven series with some plot holes and head scratching moments.

Escaflowne

Evaluation of winter 2012 anime that I've seen:

Rinne no Lagrange: 3/10

Another: 7/10

Nisemonogatari: 8/10

Moretsu Pirates (first 12 episodes): 0/10

Fixed

I did see some of Gurren Lagann, including its ending. Yeah, that was a pretty good one.

I don't watch a ton of anime like you guys do, but I just want to know what's going to be worth sitting down and watching when I get a craving for something new. I'm currently working through Moretsu Space Pirates, albeit quite slowly (good thing, too... since it's not yet done). Based on what's been talked about here, I may give Another a shot soon.

hmmm... might have missed that episode. which one was it? or at least what story arc? > :)

I believe it was in Fairy Tail: Episode 41 when Erza, Natsu, Lucy and Grey returned to Magnolia to find their Fairy Tail guild hall completely rebuilt and upgraded with a gift shop. It is there that Lucy found a Lucy action figure with clothes that can pop off. She freaked out when the shop keeper said it was their best selling item. Hahaha...I want one too.... :D

I just watched episodes 3-4 of Gunbuster 2/Diebuster. Its actually gotten better, but the tenichnical aspect still bugs me. These Topless pilots and their buster machines really are pieces of crap when compared to the original Gunbuster machine and Noriko. This takes place thousands of years after the the events of Gunbuster, yet nothing has advanced? One buster machine was shooting machine guns for crying out loud! The original series had trips from earth to jupiter in less than a day, but going from Jupiter to Pluto takes weeks for Nono?

What's so special about topless anyway? Nothing but whiny brats, incompetent fighters, and freaks. So what if they can summon their gimped up mecha with their minds, they aren't very good. Tycho wastes her original buster machine being reckless, and distracted in combat, yet she gets to be the pilot of the newest machine made? WTF? Considering how rare these things are and the way she treated her previous one there's no way in hell i'd let her near another one. Why should they worry about getting older? Noriko and others had no problems piloting robots just using normal controls.

Also what's the big deal about buster machines awakening? The original Gunbuster wasn't sentient, and damn near unstoppable, yet these new ones can't fight on their own very well making the Sizzler/RX units look all powerful. It shows when the moron twins awaken the original space monster.

I guess the problem for me is the show just doesn't fit very well with the original Gunbuster. Its like in the time Noriko has been gone humanity has become mentally retarded, all historical records have been wipped out(seriously how do you forget the buster legion and think they are space monsters?), and designed some of the stupidest defense systems possible.

Maybe I would have liked this more if it wasn't connecter to Gunbuster.

I just watched episodes 3-4 of Gunbuster 2/Diebuster. Its actually gotten better, but the tenichnical aspect still bugs me. These Topless pilots and their buster machines really are pieces of crap when compared to the original Gunbuster machine and Noriko. This takes place thousands of years after the the events of Gunbuster, yet nothing has advanced? One buster machine was shooting machine guns for crying out loud! The original series had trips from earth to jupiter in less than a day, but going from Jupiter to Pluto takes weeks for Nono?

What's so special about topless anyway? Nothing but whiny brats, incompetent fighters, and freaks. So what if they can summon their gimped up mecha with their minds, they aren't very good. Tycho wastes her original buster machine being reckless, and distracted in combat, yet she gets to be the pilot of the newest machine made? WTF? Considering how rare these things are and the way she treated her previous one there's no way in hell i'd let her near another one. Why should they worry about getting older? Noriko and others had no problems piloting robots just using normal controls.

Also what's the big deal about buster machines awakening? The original Gunbuster wasn't sentient, and damn near unstoppable, yet these new ones can't fight on their own very well making the Sizzler/RX units look all powerful. It shows when the moron twins awaken the original space monster.

I guess the problem for me is the show just doesn't fit very well with the original Gunbuster. Its like in the time Noriko has been gone humanity has become mentally retarded, all historical records have been wipped out(seriously how do you forget the buster legion and think they are space monsters?), and designed some of the stupidest defense systems possible.

Protip: If you finished watching the OVA yiou'd realize how premature these observations are so far, or rather, you're thinking exactly what they want you to think at this point in the story.

What the hell is going on in Nisemongatari?? And the incest jeez!~

After the goodness that was Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari was a bit of a dissapointment. They cranked up the fanservice and moe and minimized the mistery/supernatural aspects of it, as well as downplaying the central Araragi-Senjougahara-Hanekawa relationship.

Having said that I look forward to Kizumonogatari were the supernatural gets cranked up to 10 again.

You'll find the end very rewarding then.