What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I was reading Imouto Sae Ireba Ii light novel english version and I got to the part of episode 7 of the anime when they are playing the table top RPG.  Haruto asks them what powers they want in the anime Miyako says shoot coins really fast and Chihiro says to negate powers.  To my suprise in the book it says A certain magical index.  Miyako wants Misaka Mikoto's railgun and it says her name.  Chihiro asks for Imagine Breaker but no mention of Touma by name. This is after multiple mentions of Haganai, Gundam and Oreimo.
Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

I've been binge watching a lot of anime recently, but the one that I enjoyed the most was Darling in the Franxx. Honestly, its overly on-the-nose name is what kept me from watching it. I didn't realize it was from the same creative tram as Gurren Lagann until I finished watching it, but highly recommend it (especially if you like Gurren Lagann and/or kill la kill).

Also watched a bunch of the "in another world" genre of animes. Honestly, they're all starting to slur together at this point with the originality being the biggest casualty.  The only ones in that genre I wouldn't mind additional seasons from are Gate, Konosuba, and re:zero. The rest are honestly just boring, and the one I loved the most was the least popular (Grimgar of fantasy and ash) and will never be renewed.  I'm in season 2 of Overlord and am not finding myself captivated by the plot or characters, but now I'm in too deep to stop. 

On 7/24/2018 at 7:31 PM, technoblue said:

Between Fate/Extra and Fate/Apocrypha, I think it is fair to say that Fate/Extra is the stronger of the two. I was able to look past the quirks of Apocrypha though and the obvious bouts of retelling, I'd probably rank it average among other anime. 

I found myself losing interest in both of them about half way through. Unlimited blade works was a tough act to follow, and neither of them were anywhere close. They were both visually stunning, but I found myself not caring about the characters or their fates at all. At this point, I'm just waiting for more Heaven's Feel.

Although this season is poorer than the last one, there are a couple of surprises. One is Angolmois, that depicts the attempted invasion of a Mongolian fleet on a Japanese islands in the 1300's.

The other is High Score Girl which is love story between a girl and a boy that are mad about videogames and arcades. In the early 90's that is. Lots and lots of early videogame references. Having a blast with that one.

Edited by Marzan
forgot text

I just watched No Game No Life Zero.

or the NGNL movie..

I was actually surprised I enjoyed it.. considering my disdain for this title.

Not bad.. and you really don't need to watch the TV series prior to understand it.

Moving on to Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor..   I remember seeing parts of this via Fansub I think in spring/summer of 2017.   It wasn't bad but not great either.

Giving it another go as I was just gifted the blu-rays for it..  The school uniforms are.... interesting.. lol.

Finished Netflick's Sword Gai; decent concept and production but fails to really deliver.  Kind of a Highlander meets Karas concept; ancient weapons take on a life force of their own, both upon forging and through its victims over time, this allows the weapon to manipulate its wielder turning them into "Bosoma" or killing machines, who seek each other out in order to see which weapon is the stronger.  If the story in Karas had you scratching your head, then this will leave you with Delta headaches by the end, 2 seasons.  

9 hours ago, Marzan said:

FInally got to watch Arriety with my kids. It might not be god tier like some of Miyazaki's films, but it's such a beautiful and poignant film. And the art is unbelieavable.

I had goosebumps the first time I watched it, the opening scene with Arriety and the beauty of the animation is spectacular. 

Steins;Gate 0 has reached a very serious/dramatic point, so I decided to take a break last week and watch something carefree that was recommended to me: Konosuba. *Giggle* It was a welcome distraction, indeed. :lol: I binged the first season and plan to continue through the second season this week since they're short (10 episodes each).

@technoblue  that is quite the opposite end of the spectrum from Steins Gate to Konosuba..     I have yet to watch SG0,  I probably need a refresher on the previous series before I do.. or just go back and play the game again.      Konosuba is great though,  highly recommended.

I finished Akashic records of bastard instructor.. or whatever..   meh..   Not a bad series but not really memorable either.   

on a VN note I am chugging along with Clannad on the PS4...    Prototype didn't do alot of Q/A on the english localization..  there is some pretty glaring errors in different routes..

one of the funnier ones I have found..   I think this is towards the end of Kappei's route..  it gave me a chuckle.

20180804_131458.jpg

6 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

@technoblue  that is quite the opposite end of the spectrum from Steins Gate to Konosuba..     I have yet to watch SG0,  I probably need a refresher on the previous series before I do.. or just go back and play the game again.      Konosuba is great though,  highly recommended.

I finished Akashic records of bastard instructor.. or whatever..   meh..   Not a bad series but not really memorable either.   

on a VN note I am chugging along with Clannad on the PS4...    Prototype didn't do alot of Q/A on the english localization..  there is some pretty glaring errors in different routes..

one of the funnier ones I have found..   I think this is towards the end of Kappei's route..  it gave me a chuckle.

20180804_131458.jpg

That is pretty funny. I am playing the PC version currently.

I am currently towards the end of Tomoyo's route..  then Nagisa.. then the 3 routes of after story.

Best routes so far..

Kotomi, Kyou, Tomoyo..      

I still need to find Jet Saito..  probably do that before after story.

So I did take notice that Kappei Hiiragi is completely left out of the Anime version of Clannad.   He might be referenced in the extra Kyou/Ryou episode at the end.. but never by name nor does he make an onscreen appearance.    

23 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Truly. I like them both, even though they are completely different. I am on the last episode of Konosuba (season 2). Is there any news on when the two OVAs will get an international release? And what is this about a possible third season, is that just a rumor? 

Both of the SG visual novels are sitting in my backlog. I plan to set some time aside for them once I finish the SG0 anime.

7 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I am currently towards the end of Tomoyo's route..  then Nagisa.. then the 3 routes of after story.

Best routes so far..

Kotomi, Kyou, Tomoyo..      

I still need to find Jet Saito..  probably do that before after story.

So I did take notice that Kappei Hiiragi is completely left out of the Anime version of Clannad.   He might be referenced in the extra Kyou/Ryou episode at the end.. but never by name nor does he make an onscreen appearance.    

I am not playing in a order I started with the Nagisa route and now I am playing Yukine.  I have been playing Grisaia no Kajitsu vn lately.  Amane is just to fun.

Been a weird month--

Darling in the Franxx, Gurren Lagann, AICO Incarnation, BLAME, Godzilla 2, Kill la Kill, Expelled from Paradise, and though it's taking effort SBY 2202. (ugh, it is crap compared to 2199) and Knights of Sidonia S1.

@Hikaru Ichijo SL  with routes in Clannad you can save yourself from having to repeat routes to gather orbs.. for example Misae's route must be completed before Tomoyo's to get Misae's orb.   Do Fuko's, Misae's, and Komura's routes before Tomoyo..  actually do pretty much everyone before Tomoyo is good advice.    Save Nagisa's route for last.. as it will have some impact on afterstory,   in your case you can always redo Nagisa's route before going into afterstory if you missed something.

@AngelBird4  Some good choices there..  AICO was pretty good Subbed.. I heard the Dub is utterly horrible.   BLAME is pretty good..   and Sidonia I just recently watched and enjoyed that.     As for SBY 2202 being crap.. aww BOO I say.. BOO  I am rewatching 2199 now.. was going to move onto 2202 after I rewatch the first one.   

7 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

@Hikaru Ichijo SL  with routes in Clannad you can save yourself from having to repeat routes to gather orbs.. for example Misae's route must be completed before Tomoyo's to get Misae's orb.   Do Fuko's, Misae's, and Komura's routes before Tomoyo..  actually do pretty much everyone before Tomoyo is good advice.    Save Nagisa's route for last.. as it will have some impact on afterstory,   in your case you can always redo Nagisa's route before going into afterstory if you missed something.

I should have used a guide when I started so I do not have to repeat to much

On a side not I finished Kimi ni Todoke Season 1 last night and it was a fun ending on to season 2.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

On 8/9/2018 at 8:45 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

@AngelBird4  Some good choices there..  AICO was pretty good Subbed.. I heard the Dub is utterly horrible.   BLAME is pretty good..   and Sidonia I just recently watched and enjoyed that.     As for SBY 2202 being crap.. aww BOO I say.. BOO  I am rewatching 2199 now.. was going to move onto 2202 after I rewatch the first one.   

Thanks... 
Short ver- 2202 is a let-down on all fronts, from the redesigns, asset conversion (over to Lightwave), 2D/3D integration, tech art, anim... to the story, which isn't making it worth riding out, dammit...

YMMV. ;-)

Getting a 1-2 episode/day re-watch of Durarara in now too. Still captures the attention. That and saw first third of Three Stories which I recommend (having a CRoll account and Netflix and Amz Prime is dangerous, I need to be getting stuff done too!!!)