What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

-Yamato 3/Star Blazers Bolar wars has been on TV, VHS, DVD, and Streaming in the U.S. liooong before being on Xbox Live, so I'm not sure what the "finally" was about.

-GitS was a movie, not an OVA.

-Laughing man was a movie cut down of Stand Alone Complex

-Individual Eleven was a movie clip down of Second Gig.

-Solid State Society was an original movie follow up.

This has been your friendly neighborhood wanzer-correction.

Thank you, Keith.

It takes a village to correct Wanzerfan.

Okay, I knew that the original Ghost in the Shell was a movie released in the theatres, I was insinuating that the director's cut was an OVA. Second, Bolar Wars was also not aired in Houston, Texas, so I had no idea it was released stateside (having dial-up until a few years ago also didn't help me in getting the news).

Started watching My-HiME.

So far at episode 4 with the panty stealing creatures The scene with Natsuki chasing the little green panty thief though the school with her Duran mecha is like how Sheryl Nome rampaged through her school trying to get her panties back from the little vajra. Maybe Macross Frontier got the idea here.

A nice balance of action, comedy and mystery.

Okay, I knew that the original Ghost in the Shell was a movie released in the theatres, I was insinuating that the director's cut was an OVA. Second, Bolar Wars was also not aired in Houston, Texas, so I had no idea it was released stateside (having dial-up until a few years ago also didn't help me in getting the news).

Is the direcotr's cut of Blade Runner an OVA? (ok, it's not animated, but you get the gist) Is the director's cut of any movie that was released in theaters "ever" considered an OVA? The short answer, no. The question isn't whether or not Yamato 3's dub aired in your area, the question is whether or not you bothered to look up info before you posted it.

Picked up Claymore very cheap and am now watching. It's got kind of a Berserk-light feel to it which I like and the Claymore character designs are pleasant to the eye. As an added plus, there's bagpipe background music during some of the fights which for some reason I find really cool.

The latest episode of Muv Luv got a bit too much into nationalism and race for my taste. I hope there's less of that in future chapters and more kicking BETA ass with cool looking mecha.

Is the direcotr's cut of Blade Runner an OVA? (ok, it's not animated, but you get the gist) Is the director's cut of any movie that was released in theaters "ever" considered an OVA? The short answer, no. The question isn't whether or not Yamato 3's dub aired in your area, the question is whether or not you bothered to look up info before you posted it.

I don't know why they even cut the Ghost in the Shell TV series into those movie versions. The TV show is one of the best modern anime shows.

I just watched episode 6 of High School of the Dead. This episode is where fan service went a bit too far and turned into something creepy. Part of me doesn't want to finish the series at this point but I want to see how it ends.

Picked up Claymore very cheap and am now watching. It's got kind of a Berserk-light feel to it which I like and the Claymore character designs are pleasant to the eye.

This anime is actually really awesome with a good story. Clare develops in character and changes the people around her as the story progress. The back story of how Teresa affected her life was heart warming. Some gruesome parts with limbs getting hacked off. Fights are intense. Her powers grow to the point of whether she can control it or have it take over her. It is similar to the other anime, Freezing.

I just watched episode 6 of High School of the Dead. This episode is where fan service went a bit too far and turned into something creepy. Part of me doesn't want to finish the series at this point but I want to see how it ends.

It looks like you're speaking english, but I can't understand what you're saying.

This anime is actually really awesome with a good story. Clare develops in character and changes the people around her as the story progress. The back story of how Teresa affected her life was heart warming. Some gruesome parts with limbs getting hacked off. Fights are intense. Her powers grow to the point of whether she can control it or have it take over her. It is similar to the other anime, Freezing.

Yup its a pretty good series so far. Just seen the Teresa arc. Absolutely loved the character.

I know the manga is ongoing so I guess it has an anime only ending. Hope its a good one.

I started watching "Shirokuma Cafe". This means "Polar Bear Cafe". A polar bear runs a cafe restaurant.

I like VAs in this Anime.

Panda: Jun Fukuyama (Luca)

Penguin: Hiroshi Kamiya (Michael)

Grizzly: Yuuichi Nakamura (Alto)

Full-time panda: Katsuyuki Konishi (Ozma)

Sasako-san : Aya Endo (Sheryl)

Those Macross F's VAs are playing in this Anime Animals' voices except Sasako-san.

Besides, another serious sci-fi animes' VAs are playing.

Polar bear: Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku in Code Geass)

Lama: Daisuke Ono (Susumu Kodai in Yamato, Jet Link in 009, and Koizumi in Haruhi Suzumiya)

Ah, Fukuyama-san also played Lelouch in Code Geass. A panda and a polar bear are Suzaku and Lelouch. Oh... Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Speak like animals!

So surreal. I love it.

Okay from seeing the capsule of "Farewell, Yamato", I have a feeling that movie is either "The Comet Empire" cut down into a movie or they expanded "Farewell Yamato" into a second series, so I'll probably watch the second season instead. I have no idea where "Be Forever Yamato" and "Final Yamato" falls in the timeline, so I'll wait for input from you guys before I watch those.

I'm still having a blast watching the first season of Star Blazers. Watching "Journey to Iscandar" I have the feeling that the Americans only changed the names of the characters and not the overall plot. I still would like to see the dub of the original Japanese script, though, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Unless that has already happened that is.

Okay from seeing the capsule of "Farewell, Yamato", I have a feeling that movie is either "The Comet Empire" cut down into a movie or they expanded "Farewell Yamato" into a second series, so I'll probably watch the second season instead. I have no idea where "Be Forever Yamato" and "Final Yamato" falls in the timeline, so I'll wait for input from you guys before I watch those.

I'm still having a blast watching the first season of Star Blazers. Watching "Journey to Iscandar" I have the feeling that the Americans only changed the names of the characters and not the overall plot. I still would like to see the dub of the original Japanese script, though, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Unless that has already happened that is.

Arrividerci was made before Yamato 2, and without spoiling too much, was Nishizaki's first attempt at completely ruining the franchise. Leiji Matsumoto fixed up and expanded the story into a (IMHO) vastly superior version. The New Voyager & Be Forever Yamato take place inbetween Yamato 2 & Yamato 3, and should be watched in that order. After Yamato 3 is obviously Final Yamato.

Arrividerci was made before Yamato 2, and without spoiling too much, was Nishizaki's first attempt at completely ruining the franchise. Leiji Matsumoto fixed up and expanded the story into a (IMHO) vastly superior version. The New Voyager & Be Forever Yamato take place inbetween Yamato 2 & Yamato 3, and should be watched in that order. After Yamato 3 is obviously Final Yamato.

Except that Final Yamato is set two years before Yamato III...

Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait to see "The New Voyager", since Manga hasn't added it to their lineup as of yet. Hopefully they'll add it by the time I'm through with the second series. Thanks for the heads up about "Farewell Yamato" (that's how Manga has the tile), Keith, I'll do my best to skip that (well, at least until I'm though with the rest of the franchise).

Matsumoto, huh? I thought the style looked familiar. So is Yamato in the same universe as Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 or is it a seperate story altogether?

I'm at the point in Iscandar where Captain Avatar (American name for obvious reasons) is starting to succumb to radiation sickness.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I'd ask Tochiro for more specifics, but as I understand it though Nishizai came up with the bas concepts for Yamato, Matsumoto designed the actual meat of fhe story and universe. As such, he did originally intend to include Harlock in the story, but held his non-Yamato concepts back as Nishizaki became progressively more unstable & dictatory over Yamato. Plus he really didn't like Nishizaki constantly trying to murder off the characters for no reason. And It'sthanks to all this that Leiji Matsumoto went off on his own to develope 999 and Harlock.

Pretty sure that was an error since the movie starts out with the fall of the newly established Gamilus.

Hmmm... Vol. 3, No. 8 of Animerica (August '95) had a big focus on Yamato (more info here), and in the filmography there (written by Robert Fenlon), three distinct timelines are mentioned. The first timeline is just Yamato and Farewell. The second has Yamato, Yamato 2, The New Voyage, Be Forever, and Yamato III (listing Yamato III as taking place in 2205). The third timeline swaps out Yamato III for Final Yamato. There's a note to the effect that Final Yamato wipes Yamato III out of continuity.

I figured that was that, until I saw this today: http://www.starblaze....php?page_id=14

"Story note: Right off the bat, one of the toughest details to reconcile in Series 3 is its exact time frame. Though the year is never stated in the show itself, we can be assured that we're in a post-Be Forever period. When Final Yamato came out with the year 2203 stamped on it, fandom contented itself with the idea that the series fit between those two movies, even though it would have been a tight fit indeed.

This was all well and good until 1998, when a new edition of the series was released on home video with liner notes that placed it in 2205. For the purposes of the story, this is much easier to swallow. But it plays absolute havoc with the continuity of Final Yamato, and (by extension)Yamato Resurrection.

Therefore, as we proceed through these analyses, we'll do what every other red-blooded Yamato fan has done with this information: ignore it. Extrapolated dates are still valid, however, and it is generally assumed that the latter part of Episode 1 takes place on October 11, the same calendar day the series premiered on Japanese TV."

So I dunno... it sounds like no one's really operating on the same page here. (And how come the '95 Animerica article lists Yamato III as 2205, when starblazers.com says that date wasn't revealed until '98...?)

Edited by Gubaba

The problem with ignoring Yamato III is that it completely establishes the existence of the Gamilus offshoot race....that is promptly oblitered by Aquarious in Final. If you take it out, then far more than dates don't make sense in Final. I'd ignore anything animerica says in general.

Finished Claymore.

after the very good first 18 episodes or so, things just fell apart towards a very mediocre and open end. And I know that whiny crying teenage boys are a staple of anime as a medium but Raki just takes the cake in uselessness. After some inquiry I found out that of course the anime follows the manga very closely until precisely when things start going bad. The anime production team were not able to do a good ending on their own. Disappointing.

Mysterious Girlfriend X: Drool is now sexy.

DeathNote: Finally get to watch this. Will it live up to its reputation?

Finished High School of the Dead. I thought anime, zombies, and Japanese school girls would go well together. It did for the most part. The action and animation was really good. Even the fan service action bits. I probably should have passed on the OVA. I thought that the animation quality would get even better. But they went somewhere I thought they would never go...I'll pass on the manga after seeing the anime. But I'll watch again if/when the anime comes back.

Next up. Going old school. I've never seen the Dirty Pair OVA episodes and one of the movies. Plus, they finally released the TV episodes. I'm waiting for a deal to own these.

I used to think that Dirty Pair Flash was a great show... Untill I was finally able to watch the original Dirty Pair. Words alone can't do enough justice to how awesome the original is, and how pale flash is compared to it. ODP was made in a time when they actually put an effort into making a show funny, not the stupid nosebleed, screaming banshee jigglefests we get today.

Do yourself and Nozomi a favor AND PAY THE FULL PRICE! It's very much worth it. :)

Started watching Black Butler, and Shingurui: Death Frenzy. Black Butler is supposed to be serious, but has a lot of, well, forced comedy that kinda throws it off. I'm sure all the girls like it for it's Yaoi-able characters. It's decent. The minor characters are what make the show funny for me, though. As for Shingurui: Death Frenzy, this is a very dark, serious, and violent anime with samurai and swordsmen. Probably not one for the kids.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait to see "The New Voyager", since Manga hasn't added it to their lineup as of yet. Hopefully they'll add it by the time I'm through with the second series. Thanks for the heads up about "Farewell Yamato" (that's how Manga has the tile), Keith, I'll do my best to skip that (well, at least until I'm though with the rest of the franchise).

I wouldn't automatically skip Farewell (or Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato) if I were you. Keith might hate it but it is highly regarded by many Yamato fans. I think most Japanese fans consider it to be a masterpiece. On the other hand, I recall some folks suggesting that perhaps the theme and tone of the movie does not jive with non-Japanese viewers.

It might be worth watching for the intense reaction (either negative or positive) that it delivered.

Watching Vandread. It has a couple of good ideas plotwise, but its not really blowing me away. The 2 main characters in particular are very uninteresting. And the CGI is very distracting to say the least.

I got the whole VanDread series on DVD.

Current anime I'm watching: Accel World

Recent anime: Nadia: Secret of Blue Water

Man, I used to watch VanDread when it was Encore Wam! years ago. I loved the series, too bad they didn't do a third series, I would've watched it, too.

Too bad Comcast dropped the channel a few years ago when Houston aquired them for their cable service and dropped Time Warner.