What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Is it bad that I can say I liked the show and characters, but can't recall a damn thing about the plot?

Anyways I finished the first season of Crest of the Stars. They really make it hard to like the Abh. Yeah the United Mankind fabricated a means to start a war with the Abh(something I think the other members of the four nation treaty might not know), but so far I have seen nothing but examples arrogance, corruption, heavy handedness, and just plain aggression, on behalf of the Abh.

What really gets me is during one of the historical commentaries at the begining of an episode use a sick man at he side of the road allegory to compare the Abh and the United Mankind. The Abh goes and gets help, but the UM gives a lecture on what the man should do then just leaves. We get to see the exact opposite in practice though. The Abh show up at Jinto's planet, tell everyone they are taking over, then state that ruling them is beneath having an Abh do so pick a leader among yourselves. Lafiel makes it clear the Abh could care less about the people they rule, and are only interested in the territory and trade routes they can aquire.

The lack of freedom also bothers me. When a character states that his group wants a ship to explore and trade on their own she reacts like he offered to pay for sex from her, and flat out states it could never happen and is non negotiable. Then there's the fact that if you become an Abh citizen you generally don't get treated differently, but should you want a kid it will get genetically modified to a pure Abh wether you want that or not.

Actually it's only Abh nobility that 'have' the obligation of genetically modifying their children to be genetically 'Abh'. Hence if Jinto wants his hypothetical children to continue being Abh nobility they will have to be modified. They also wil have to fulfill a military and merchant service at some point in their lives. But regular Abh citizens do not have that obligation.

I suppose that part of the appeal of this show for me was precisely that I didn't like the Abh as such. After a couple of chapters, I thought that the whole series was going to be about how our "hero" was going to become a super pilot, get the princess to fall in love with him, and then convince everyone that war is wrong and try to free the people of Martine in the process, bla bla, bla. That's IMO how I think 99 out of a 100 series would have ended up doing it. But the whole Seikai/Banner series really goes off in a different direction and your protagonists can in a way very well be called the 'bad guys'. The story is all about a basically not very heroic character, accepting the fate that has been handed to him and giving up his culture, race, language, indeed his very humanity as we understand it and joins the 'bad' guys. And throughout the 4 series we get to see the struggle that this is for him. Jinto is the eternal outsider. He doesn't fully get he Abh no matter how hard he tries, and yet he is despised by many of his fellow humans for what his father has done, and his continuing service to the enemy. I think that that's a narrative that we don't see too often in anime.

Marzan, you're right it is a rather unique take on space opera, and it is rather refreshing to see something go against the grain. Reading your comments makes me wonder about Jinto. Right now at the first series end he seems less grudging accepting and more openly embracing his role. He also seems rather cold to be honest too, not caring much his father got assassinated, or that his home planet rebelled. I'm really wondering what's driving him to do what he does. I'll comment more once I track down Banner of the Stars and start watching it.

Anyways right now I'm watching Kohime Muso. Its based off of a visual novel set in the three kingdoms era where 99% of the character are all female and in a way its also a parody of the Dynasty Warriors series. Because of the characters being all female it leads to some interesting and slightly perverted takes on three kingdoms events, like Guan Yu's short service under Cao Cao, Yuan Shao's opulent incompetence, and Guan Yu's vow of brother(sister)hood with Zhang Fei. I also find it funny how in the series recycles the same three bandit characters for each bandit gang yet they aren't the same people. Its kinda like three stooges rent-a-goon squad.

Another interesting thing is how there is a fairly low amount of fanservice for what can be expected from a series like this. In fact I think the series toys with people leading people on to situations that would involve fanservice then not having it happen. At least untill the one hot spring episode.

My only gripe so far is how this show like Ikki Tousen uses different translations of characters names than the ones I'm used to after years of playing Dynasty Warriors games. Some of the characters are easy to spot by their close names(sao sao/cao cao), appearance, attitudes, or the weapons they carry, but for some I had to start using a wikipedia character guide to figure out who's who. Still Kanu Unchu rolls off the tongue better for a girls name than Guan Yu.

Still Kanu Unchu rolls off the tongue better for a girls name than Guan Yu.

That's Guan Yu's "style-name," isn't it? He's born Guan Yu, but later names himself Guan Yun-Chang. It seems a lot of people like to give themselves more majestic/fitting names after becoming famous.

BTW, I really have to scour the net for a few eps of Ikki Tousen and this Kohime Muso you mentioned. I've heard of the former, but never bothered to watch. Maybe now's a good time to try a couple of eps.

Now watching season 2 of Naruto, and still loving it.

Edited by GU-11

Marzan, you're right it is a rather unique take on space opera, and it is rather refreshing to see something go against the grain. Reading your comments makes me wonder about Jinto. Right now at the first series end he seems less grudging accepting and more openly embracing his role. He also seems rather cold to be honest too, not caring much his father got assassinated, or that his home planet rebelled. I'm really wondering what's driving him to do what he does. I'll comment more once I track down Banner of the Stars and start watching it.

Banner of the Stars is centered more on Jinto and Lafiel in a war setting. It's in Banner of the Stars 2 and 3 (which is really just a very short OVA) were Jinto's relationship with Lafiel and to his past are fully developed.

That's Guan Yu's "style-name," isn't it? He's born Guan Yu, but later names himself Guan Yun-Chang. It seems a lot of people like to give themselves more majestic/fitting names after becoming famous.

BTW, I really have to scour the net for a few eps of Ikki Tousen and this Kohime Muso you mentioned. I've heard of the former, but never bothered to watch. Maybe now's a good time to try a couple of eps.

From what I have been able to find looking around online about the names is Kanu Unchou is the Japanese translation of the original Chinese characters. Somethings get lost/changed in translation and it ends up with a different pronounciation.

Now about Ikki Tousen, its mostly a fan-service heavy show with many panty shots/exploding clothes/exposed breasts. For the most part it only loosely follows the three kingdoms with the characters essentially imbued with the spirits of the three kingdom era and doomed to repeat their fates. Much of the series deals with how to break free of their destinies. Also there is almost no plot(just random fights and fanservice) in the first season except for about the final 3-4 episodes dealing with Dong Zhuo(totaku?) and his demise. The second season is much better and also more darker, grittier and bloody. It basically follows Cao Cao's rise to power up to the battle of chi-bi, and how plans are made to break the vicious cycle. I haven't seen the third season onwards yet, but I hear it heads off in its own direction away from Three Kingdoms lore.

Banner of the Stars is centered more on Jinto and Lafiel in a war setting. It's in Banner of the Stars 2 and 3 (which is really just a very short OVA) were Jinto's relationship with Lafiel and to his past are fully developed.

I actually picked up Banner II when I got Crest. I'm tempted to just crack it open and watch, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll wait for the first Banner series.

into the 3rd episode of Bubblegum Crisis 2040, acting was a bit off in the writing in the first episode, but almost was almost non existent in the next two like they got their stuff together. Im liking how it is coming together

From what I have been able to find looking around online about the names is Kanu Unchou is the Japanese translation of the original Chinese characters. Somethings get lost/changed in translation and it ends up with a different pronounciation.

The thing about Japanese pronunciations is that as far as kanji is concerned, there are sometimes two ways to pronounce it. Either way, Kanu Unchou sounds very similar to Guan Yun-Chang (Kanu=Guan, Un=Yun, Chou=Chang.)

Now about Ikki Tousen, its mostly a fan-service heavy show with many panty shots/exploding clothes/exposed breasts. For the most part it only loosely follows the three kingdoms with the characters essentially imbued with the spirits of the three kingdom era and doomed to repeat their fates. Much of the series deals with how to break free of their destinies. Also there is almost no plot(just random fights and fanservice) in the first season except for about the final 3-4 episodes dealing with Dong Zhuo(totaku?) and his demise. The second season is much better and also more darker, grittier and bloody. It basically follows Cao Cao's rise to power up to the battle of chi-bi, and how plans are made to break the vicious cycle. I haven't seen the third season onwards yet, but I hear it heads off in its own direction away from Three Kingdoms lore.

Thanks for the info. Sounds just like my kind of anime. Hopefully, some of those anime streaming sites still have it available; I think it's already been a few years after its initial airing.

into the 3rd episode of Bubblegum Crisis 2040, acting was a bit off in the writing in the first episode, but almost was almost non existent in the next two like they got their stuff together. Im liking how it is coming together

The story gets a bit weird near the end. The original was a little more interesting. Sylia in the 2040 is a bit too crazy, and probably mentally unstable. At least the newer Mackie is not a perv like the original version.

Is it bad that I can say I liked the show and characters, but can't recall a damn thing about the plot?

Burst Angel has a plot?

I've watched like a third of it, and ... if there's a coherent plot, I'm not seeing it.

I love the bait and switch, though. First episode acts like this school kid's the main character and sets the expectation the story will be told more or less from his perspective. Then he doesn't even SHOW UP for some episodes, and his role in most of the ones he DOES show up in barely above cameo status.

Finally got around to watching the Laputa / Castle in the Sky blu-ray as I'm typing. The restored picture is just gorgeous.

You gotta admit 2040 Nene was all types of awesome though. Her mischivious wolf in sheep's clothing thing was a lot better than the originials "I'm a weak, imcompetent girly girl watch me whine and fall down!"

Im kinda digging the character detail so far, Ill have to watch the originals too.

Started on Ikki Tousen recently (thanks renegadeleader1, for the recommendations!) The fan-service is just a little heavy for my tastes, but I guess it's one of the major pulling factors for its target teenage(?) audience.

Before watching, I got the impression that Kanu Unchou was the star of the show; she seems to be the most popular character by far, and I've only seen figs of her and maybe Ryoumou. I'm sure she'll turn up at some point, but so far the spotlight's been on Sonsaku Hakufu. Speaking of whom, she's starting to annoy me with her stupidity. Even by anime toroi standards, she's pretty dense. Not an unlikeable character, but WAY dense.

That said, overall, the show's got my attention, and I'll certainly keep watching. The whole idea of warriors from the Three Kingdoms reliving their fates in another lifetime is cool IMO, and the fight scenes aren't half bad.

Don't say I didn't warn you about Ikki Tousen! In a way I consider Queens Blade more tame. ;)

I also get what you are saying about Hakafu Sonsaku, she's not very bright and is borderline mentally retarded considering some of the things she gets herself into. I think there was a backlash against this prior to the second season as she gains braincells and is more on the competent ditzy side the second time around closer to how she is in the manga.

As for Kanu she plays a minor part in the first season, but becomes a major player in the second as the focus shifts away from Wu, to highlight the motivations of Wei and Shu. She is definatly one of the more popular characters with her having the most figures made of her followed by Ryomu and Hakafu a distant third.

LOL! After the sixth episode, I got pretty used to the show's exploding clothes and occasional panty pulldowns.

I've watched over a third of the first season, and I'm looking forward to a less toroi Hakufu. Strange that they would pair Ryofu (Lu Bu) with Chinkyo (Chen Gong) instead of Chousen, who doesn't even seem to exist in the anime. Then again, since it's a girl-girl thing here, so I guess getting Lu Bu paired with Chen Gong seems strangely fitting.

Just saw Kanu make her debut. Pretty accurate portrayal of Guan Yu, and far less slurmty (WTF?! The word processor even censors the word S.L.U.T.? ) than all the borderline ero figs of her led me to believe.

I despair of myself. I was once proud of the fact that I'd only watch the most hardcore, dark, serious anime in the industry. GitS, Akira, Armitage....

Recently, I got to choose between watching a new ep of Ikki Tousen or starting on Gasaraki. Never made it past ep. 1 on the latter. Just kept devouring ep after ep of Ikki Tousen.

Edited by GU-11

Just finished Madoka Magica. As much as I loved Utena, Princess Tutu, & Puchi Puri, Madoka crushes them all. Dare I say it's the Gurren Lagann of magical girl shows.

Glad to see that you liked it as much as I did. It's always great to see a show that totally changes the formula of its genre.

Kyubey is a manipulative and deceitful little bastard, ain't he? There was a Japanese poll on the most unforgivable anime character and Kyubey takes the number one spot

Glad to see that you liked it as much as I did. It's always great to see a show that totally changes the formula of its genre.

Kyubey is a manipulative and deceitful little bastard, ain't he? There was a Japanese poll on the most unforgivable anime character and Kyubey takes the number one spot

Oh yeah, Kyubey is definately up there will the all time greats of sonovabitchdom.

Just finished Madoka Magica. As much as I loved Utena, Princess Tutu, & Puchi Puri, Madoka crushes them all. Dare I say it's the Gurren Lagann of magical girl shows.

Is it really that good? I mean better than Utena? That's a pretty bold statement. I've heard good things about it, but every time I consider watching it, just looking at the the cover puts me off. I have a hard time sitting through shows were the protagonist look like intensely moeified 7 year olds.

Is it really that good? I mean better than Utena? That's a pretty bold statement. I've heard good things about it, but every time I consider watching it, just looking at the the cover puts me off. I have a hard time sitting through shows were the protagonist look like intensely moeified 7 year olds.

Yes, it's that good. As for the designs, while highly stylized, I wouldn't call them "moe."

Edited by Keith

Madoka deceives with the premise of the magical girl theme, as it is really quite dark and succeeds in turning the whole genre on its head. Definitely one of the top shows in recent times.

I seriously was not expecting to see things like decapitation and gun violence on the show, and...

I never get tired of watching this :D

Edited by Ghost Train

Finished "Monster". What a great story by Naoki Urasawa and the people at Madhouse did the right thing by not messing around with it. Sticks faithfully to the manga, but adds some great voice acting and fitting music that helps add to the tension and mistery. I really recommend it to anyone who enjoys a character driven story with suspense and mistery. And it has one of the most memorable antagonists that I have ever seen in any media.

Also watched the second to last episode of "Fate Zero". Pretty good action sequences, but it all seemed a bit rushed.

The fight between Saber and Berserker was given about 20 seconds which seemed far to little. I'm sensing a "buy the BD" for extended footage conspiracy

Finished BBC 2040 and I thought it was a really good anime. Good story line and pretty decent character build up and no awkward fan service. For sure recommend.

The last few episodes of BGC 2040 got a little too weird for me with Galatea. The original seems to have a better story which was cut short and better mechancial/motoslave designs. But that's just my impression.

The last few episodes of BGC 2040 got a little too weird for me with Galatea. The original seems to have a better story which was cut short and better mechancial/motoslave designs. But that's just my impression.

I for sure want to see the original and yeah it had kinda the off ending, I liked it though