What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Galaxy Express 999, great movie, I remember the english version when I was a kid, but I thought I remembered more of Capt Harlock for some reason. Yet to watch Adieu.

Dont sweat it JB0, I should pay closer attention to what spell checker and I leave behind

Galaxy Express 999, great movie, I remember the english version when I was a kid, but I thought I remembered more of Capt Harlock for some reason. Yet to watch Adieu.

Dont sweat it JB0, I should pay closer attention to what spell checker and I leave behind

Spell checker doesn't know everything...it's a viscous circle...

I finally got my act together and started TurnaGundam which is so far completely unlike any other Gundam I've seen. But in a good way. The story is pretty original. The animation though is not too impressive for being 1999 and a 20th anniversary project.

Still watching E7 AO and Fate Zero (that was an eyeopening episode this week, huh?). Dropped Mouretsu Pirates, since IMO the series just hasn't had any kind of drama and the characters remain completely undeveloped and we're at episode 16. It's a shame really because I had high hopes for it at the start.

Considering picking Space Brother or Kids on the Slope instead.

Edited by Marzan

I've started on Hyouka, Kyoani's latest show. Visually impressive but slow to get going I'll see where it leads.

E7 AO will be next, can't say I know anything about it, although no Dai Sato as a writer has me a little worried.

I'm up to ep 15 on Mouretsu Pirates and rather enjoying it. The lack of conflict and it's positive outlook on the future fit with what I expect from a satelight show. The characters lack a bit in intensity but are all quite likeable. Good to see tastes differ ^_^ .

Space brothers is plain fun and something different. Nice to see a character with actual ambition again. Aiming to become an astronaut just appeals to me more than striving to finish high school.

Finished watching both the OVA and TV series of Area 88. Have to say I wish they'd do another OVA. The TV series was good, I liked the music but there was something about the animation I just didn't like as opposed to the original. I actually liked the fact that you'd see aircraft falling apart and not just disappearing in a ball of smoke. Just that extra eye for detail. I especially liked the detail they put into drawing aircraft like the A-4s and Kfir C2s.

Every time I watch that SF3 video, I have to replay it at least ten times. Hardcore epic win.

I watched an episode of that Acchi Kocchi. Pretty good. I've always preferred mecha and sci-fi anime over anything else, but it seems my likes are spreading to more genres. I credit Toradora as the series that opened my eyes to slice-of-life genre and the moe-tsundere character. Acchi Kocchi is pretty much the same kind of series, it seems. I might have to give it a try when the semester is finally over.

well, i had just picked up this complete collection of "Tsukuyomi MOON PHASE"

after years of being curious about it, but ultimately uncertain, and keeping it put well into the back of the "Long List"

MoonPhase3.jpg

well; no WONDER i've been putting this stuff off so long; it's a -FLAMING TRAINWRECK!!- OMG AM I EVER TOO OLD FOR THIS NONSENSICAL S&%T!!!! :angry::wacko::angry:

it's all so very cute and pretty and all, a sumptuous Torte direct from the land of rainbows and ponies and lollipops and illicit substances

that i'd likely get Perma-Banned for specifically calling out by name, but at the end of day,

-PRECIOUS LITTLE- OF IT ENDS UP MAKING -ANY- DAMNED SENSE AT ALL!! AARRGGHH!!!!

SUCH a disappointment... and SUCH a delightful tainting of the doll of the main female character (Miss Hazuki Morioka) that i've had for a couple of years now;

Hazuki-chan6-15-11.jpg

oh well.. my Mikuru-chan looks so much better in that anyhow;

DSC_2745.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Finished watching both the OVA and TV series of Area 88. Have to say I wish they'd do another OVA. The TV series was good, I liked the music but there was something about the animation I just didn't like as opposed to the original. I actually liked the fact that you'd see aircraft falling apart and not just disappearing in a ball of smoke. Just that extra eye for detail. I especially liked the detail they put into drawing aircraft like the A-4s and Kfir C2s.

I wished that they'd done another OVA, as well, but after reading the comic, I understand why they didn't. Basically, they cut out all the plot that was happening in Asran. In the comic, by the time Shin goes back, a lot has been happening and everything is set up for the finale. But in the OVA series, with all that set up gone, there was simply no way for the film-makers to adapt the final storyline.

I wished that they'd done another OVA, as well, but after reading the comic, I understand why they didn't. Basically, they cut out all the plot that was happening in Asran. In the comic, by the time Shin goes back, a lot has been happening and everything is set up for the finale. But in the OVA series, with all that set up gone, there was simply no way for the film-makers to adapt the final storyline.

I know the US manga release stopped prematurely. I've tried looking for translated scans of the rest of the manga series been unsuccessful so far. Some of the stuff I hear happening towards the end while pretty out there (drone F/A-18s and a land carrier) have peaked my interest in progressing with the series.

I know the US manga release stopped prematurely. I've tried looking for translated scans of the rest of the manga series been unsuccessful so far. Some of the stuff I hear happening towards the end while pretty out there (drone F/A-18s and a land carrier) have peaked my interest in progressing with the series.

Oh, that's only still about 1/3 of the way through. It gets far crazier after that.

I read the whole comic in Japanese about ten years ago. I'd like to do a scanlation of it one of these days...

For you Shaorin, I suggest School Rumble.

School-rumble-forever-school-rumble-15618152-1024-768.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....i/School_Rumble

well, that actually doesn't look nor sound half-bad. from the sound of the name, i was fully expecting something like Ikki Tousen or CROMARTIE HIGH SCHOOL,

but this looks... Nice. i think i'll give it a go. thanks for the heads-up...

Edited by Shaorin

24753_dziewczyny-uszy-tsukuyomi-moon-phase.jpg

well, we just finished up the god-forsaken show this evening.

was it all worth it in the end? HELL NO.

to be fair, it DOES pick up a LITTLE BIT at the end, with a teasingly small smattering of seriousness and heartfelt moments,

but alas, for every one of those, there's a HUNDRED Mind-Melters, i wish i was joking.

in sum, i'd say that this is EXACTLY the kind of series that gives Anime a bad name with most out there,

and among the very worst Anime i've seen to date, T.V. series, movie, OVA/OAV, what-have-you.

it's too bad that they managed to make Hazuki-chan so blasted Loveable, cause then i could just happily forget this series ever existed...

Edited by Shaorin

It's not current and not exactly anime but I watched the first disk of Ultraman Tiga and had and enjoyable romp with it. It was good to see mister U and his slippers again...

Just watched the Eureka 7 movie and decided I like the TV show a lot better, the ending credits were neat and the movie was good, just not up to the quality of the show.

Anyone by any chance catch the first episode of Kawamori's new show AK0048? Just seen the trailer and it seems that Kawamori has ramped up the loli-moeness to 11 which I find a bit hard to swallow, but maybe its better than it looks?

Anyone by any chance catch the first episode of Kawamori's new show AK0048? Just seen the trailer and it seems that Kawamori has ramped up the loli-moeness to 11 which I find a bit hard to swallow, but maybe its better than it looks?

It was better than I expected, being an idol vehicle. The setting is ridiculously over-done, but the characters were good and the art/animation was well done. The mecha designs were pretty cool too. I find the fact that the soul-less, corporate-driven idol industry is the hope of the oppressed people of the future to be humorously ironic. I probably won't follow this one though, since I've got enough on my plate already as it is.

It was better than I expected, being an idol vehicle. The setting is ridiculously over-done, but the characters were good and the art/animation was well done. The mecha designs were pretty cool too. I find the fact that the soul-less, corporate-driven idol industry is the hope of the oppressed people of the future to be humorously ironic. I probably won't follow this one though, since I've got enough on my plate already as it is.

Thanks. Too much on my plate too so I think I'll pick it up when its finished. I'm curious as to where Kawamori's mind is now...

I've seen worse in my lifetime, shows that were visually greater than that and begin so amazing, but in the end crashes and burns with a screwed-up conclusion. There are, however, those rare shows that are stupidly ugly or generic or utterly incomprehensible to begin with, but after several weeks turn themselves into self-redeeming masterpieces.

And as far as this season is concerned, there's too many saucer-plate eyes and SOS premises that I have selected that Okada-scripted show (I want story more than just eye candy, despite the obvious cheesiness and OKADA, and see how far it'll go), Space Brothers, Kids on the Slope, the new Lupin III miniseries, Polar Bear Cafe, and Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Anyone unaccustomed to (or despise) full-blown j-pop by the dozen may not enjoy watching AKB0048, unless one's willing to do some homework (this includes listening to their music), then slog through 3 episodes with an iron stomach, open eyes, ears and mind before passing judgment. If you survive it, drinks are on me.

----

BTW, my copy of SDFM -- all 36 episodes of Ishiguro masterclass -- is ready for this weekend's viewing.

Edited by soul.assassin

http://akb0048.jp/

WOW... that's... pretty lame, IMHO... :mellow:

EVERYTHING's starting to take on a quasi-K-ON! look, and we're all the poorer for it, i think... :(

Edited by Shaorin

Don't get that either. I can't see the influence on Risa Ebata's designs. The AKB0048 characters like Ranka Lee. If only Satelight was able to pull off character animation on the level of K-on...

I watched an episode of that Acchi Kocchi. Pretty good. I've always preferred mecha and sci-fi anime over anything else, but it seems my likes are spreading to more genres. I credit Toradora as the series that opened my eyes to slice-of-life genre and the moe-tsundere character. Acchi Kocchi is pretty much the same kind of series, it seems. I might have to give it a try when the semester is finally over.

Watch out, it's infectious.