What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

BTW I've never watched the original version of Mospeada. Is it just better or waaaay better than the robotech version???

The original Mospeada was a mediocre series even for 1983. The only difference between Mospeada and its Robotech equivalent is that the japanese version actually makes sense. In the Robotech version you never really understand why the invid troups leave Scott Bernard and his band of freedom fighters alone. If they're dangerous just eliminate them, its not as if the invid don't have the military force to do something like this no ?

In the japanese version the invid arrive on earth in a random way, nothing special about earth. They make a first strike but then leave the earth and humans alone. Most people were evacuated to the colonies on the moon, mars and in the outer solar system. The few people left behind are resentful because of this, not because of the invid. In the Robotech version instead it seems most people still live on earth and are resentful towards the various soldiers whom they see as the cause for the invid invasion.

Another big difference is the timeline, in the japanese version the earth is attacked in 2050 and between 2050 and 2080 several liberation fleets attempt to liberate the earth. In the Robotech timeline the invasion takes place in 2030 and the various recapture missions take place several years later (4-5 years).

All in all its better to watch the japanese Mospeada and enjoy it for what it is.

mmmmmm ospeada goodness

Ordered Ghost in the Shell second season and the movie, (I really liked the first one) and the complete season of Cowboy Bebop hoping it lives up to the hype

Edited by pfunk

^If Moretsu is the rather comical-yet-smart "Master and Commander" of this season, then Another might as well be reminiscent of Stephen King's work, as the viewer is pulled in to follow Kouichi Sakakibara's attempts to investigate a horrific malady plaguing his class at school, in a dark and foreboding town strongly reminiscent of any backwoods place in the Pacific Northwest or around Maine... and after every episode (with some fatalities amongst some characters) the viewer now feverishly tries to guess what, how or why the malady happens and where it came from.

I'm now watching 'Another' after reading your recommendation. Really good stuff! Has a wonderfuly creepy atmosphere and the animation and art are top notch.

Moeru Pirates, or Bodacious Space Pirates, despite its name is a pretty enjoyable series. Its sort of like a lighter version of Starship Operators.

Moeru Pirates, or Bodacious Space Pirates, despite its name is a pretty enjoyable series. Its sort of like a lighter version of Starship Operators.

And with that my interest in Space Pirates has gone into the toilet. I had no problem with the pyshical aspect of space combat in Operators, but damn the plot left a bad taste in my mouth, and the carboard cutout characters doing inexplicably stupid things.

Currently watching Shikabane Hime for the first time; I'm half way through and loving it. The title 'Corpse Princess' made it sound like it would have been just another cutesie girl-centric* anime, but that's the furthest thing from the case.

*Sure, the hero fighters are all girls, but so far there has been no fan service, love triangles, school life hijinks, harem shenanigans, yelling out of absurdly named special attacks, or any other similar cliches.

Edited by mechaninac

Currently watching Shikabane Hime for the first time; I'm half way through and loving it. The title 'Corpse Princess' made it sound like it would have been just another cutesie girl-centric* anime, but that's the furthest thing from the case.

Shikabane Hime is kinda entertaining. Makina is pretty hardcore at killing the undead and her partner Ouri is not as wimpy as first thought. There is a shocker near the end of the series about Ouri's past and how he was able to relate to the corpse princess. There are several scenes that is similar to High School of the Dead. And so Makina is like a combination between the blade-wielding Saeko and the nerdy gun-otaku Hirano.

And with that my interest in Space Pirates has gone into the toilet. I had no problem with the pyshical aspect of space combat in Operators, but damn the plot left a bad taste in my mouth, and the carboard cutout characters doing inexplicably stupid things.

I liked Starship Operators, but honestly, I'm not seeing the comparison between it and Mouretsu Pirates he made myself other than putting a bit more thought into their settings.

Edited by JELEINEN

These days I usually get into one anime a year, and that's a generous estimation. I just have the burnout, I suppose.

This time it's "Princess Jellyfish". It seems to wrap up the storyline too quickly and neatly, but that's an unsurprising consequence, and doesn't dampen the appeal of the entire thing. I love that it doesn't try to idealize female otaku, and is far more emotionally complex than the usual horrid "My Fair Lady" type of narrative. Some parts hit a little close to home, while others are simply hilarious.

Started watching Cowboy Bebop, I really like the animation and the bounty hunter story lines. Only got through 3 episodes, but like it so far.

Ill be watching the Clone Wars when I have my kids with me

I just got the original Southern Cross today...found it on Amazon for $17...finally I can say I've seen all three originals and own them to boot!

post-2668-0-83528500-1331316326_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

It has karaoke for the two insert songs XD

I like Southern Cross a lot more than Mospeada despite the truncated ending. It's proto-Patlabor basically.

Too bad at least for me. The only Southern Cross merchandise I have is the japanese double cd with the music of the series that was published some time ago. But as far as the series proper is concerned I can't stand sub only releases. I love dubs (when they're well done of course).

Southern Cross had a very good mecha design and character design, very original designs.

Although how you can consider SC a proto-Patlabor series has me confused.

Too bad at least for me. The only Southern Cross merchandise I have is the japanese double cd with the music of the series that was published some time ago. But as far as the series proper is concerned I can't stand sub only releases. I love dubs (when they're well done of course).

Southern Cross had a very good mecha design and character design, very original designs.

Although how you can consider SC a proto-Patlabor series has me confused.

You hate subtitles, love dubs, and think Southern Cross ahd very good mecha & character design? Go back to the Bizarro universe!

You hate subtitles, love dubs, and think Southern Cross ahd very good mecha & character design? Go back to the Bizarro universe!

Subtitles are the poor man's dub. Its been like that since the early days of talkie film dubs. Of course Yankees never had any dubbing industry to speak of since Hollywood preferred to steal original foreign films and remake them for the local audience. Talk about opening your citizens to foreign culture. -_-

Although it begs the question, if translation for the written word is culturally accepted why not dubbing which is mutatis mutandis the translation for the visual world ?

There are two types of countries in the world, those that dub and those that are ignorant (US) or don't have the economic means to have a dubbing industry. In the first category you'll find France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Germany, Mexico etc... In the second you'll find the US (not surprising), northern european countries (because of their small market that makes dubbing not viable) and other smaller countries.

Southern Cross has a very intruiging mecha design. If you hate it because you expected more cookie cutter designs like those in vogue at the time your loss. The characters are also very good, although you certainly won't find the Mikimoto touch in them. The character designer also worked on Ideon, Xabungle, Dunbine, Tekkaman Blade and Kashan OVA. Those are all heavy hitter shows although virtually unkown in the west and historically important. Jeanne Francaix is the feminine equivalent of Cosmo or Amuro Ray. If you don't like the character design in early Gundam shows or Ideon you sure as hell won't like the character design in SC. That is for sure. :p

Oh and did I mention the battle armor the characters wear ? Simply fascinating, so much intricate detail and variation. No wonder since the original idea of SC was a feudal japan war story projected into a far far future. And the battle armor the characters wear are very reminiscent of a samurai's armor.

Edited by Cobra__

lol, you're funny. Not going to go off topic on a dubs suck tangent here, just search the related forum topic to find out why you're wrong!

Also, recently watched Mardock Scramble. It totally was like if Uemetsu made GitS. Currently watching Broken Blade.

You're on your own about all that stuff, Cobra_. You couldn't be a little more diplomatic about that?

Anyway, I think it's about time to open the Silent Mobius DVD set that's been in my room for a long time.

Yup, by his logic, the domestic remake would be far superior to even dubbing since it's a 100% complete localized version, and yet he negates that.

Finished:

Spice and Wolf...Excellent show. The ironic thing is there no mecha, no action and very little to no violence. But the characters, dialogues, relationships and a fairy tale-ish setting really made this show stand out.

Ragnarok...Based on a game, but I have never played it. This show is a pass due the weak story and character development.

Currently watching:

Fairy Tail...At Episode 61 so far. The craziness of Natsu, Gray, Lucy and Erza continue along with lots of comedy. :lol:

Gundam AGE...At Episode 21. Asemu seems to be a more likeable character than Flit.

Last Exile...Just started but it looks like a steampunk show.

I watched Urda: The Third Reich over the weekend. At thirty minutes long its very short and all I can say about it is meh.

The animation is the same as appleseed/fear effect, but not as good with the animation very stiff.

Finished:

Spice and Wolf...Excellent show. The ironic thing is there no mecha, no action and very little to no violence. But the characters, dialogues, relationships and a fairy tale-ish setting really made this show stand out.

Ragnarok...Based on a game, but I have never played it. This show is a pass due the weak story and character development.

Currently watching:

Fairy Tail...At Episode 61 so far. The craziness of Natsu, Gray, Lucy and Erza continue along with lots of comedy. :lol:

Gundam AGE...At Episode 21. Asemu seems to be a more likeable character than Flit.

Last Exile...Just started but it looks like a steampunk show.

I agree with your thought on Ragnarok, but did you also feel like you were watching an rpg you couldn't play? All the fights seemed turn based.

Also is Fairy Tail really good? It looked too much like One-piece(didn't care for it), and I don't like shows that get stretched out to over 100 episodes, or come with the tag "as serialised in shonen whatever!".

I agree with your thought on Ragnarok, but did you also feel like you were watching an rpg you couldn't play? All the fights seemed turn based.

Also is Fairy Tail really good? It looked too much like One-piece(didn't care for it), and I don't like shows that get stretched out to over 100 episodes, or come with the tag "as serialised in shonen whatever!".

Fairy Tail is kinda like Soul Eater. It has some serious fights and tension, but comedy comes out of no where when least expected. Watch the first few episodes and see if you like it.

And about the Last Exile, the aerial dogfights between the Vanships and Starfish fighters remind me of Macross Zero. The way Dio in her Starfish tormented Claus was exactly like how Nora played with Shin before trying to kill him.

Needed some old school stuff to balance out 'Mouretsu Space Pirates', 'Nisemonogatari' and 'Another' so I picked up Trigun which had been on my to do list for years but for some reason never got to see. After a 'meh' first pair of episodes it's picked up a bit and I can see there's more than meets the eye to the pacifist gunman Vash the Stampede.

Happily traipsing along with Naruto season one.

Last Exile - Silver Wings of Fam is surprisingly easy to follow despite the fact that I haven't watched the first LE.

Chrome Shelled Regios - so derivative, I don't even know where to start. Basically almost nothing stands out in the show. Lost interest after two episodes.

Also, re-watching both seasons of GitS S.A.C.. All in all, I still prefer Oshii's movie, although his decision to model Newport city after Hong Kong with all its Chinese signboards is a bit jarring. Visually it works, though.

Still haven't decided if I should dig out that old VCD copy of Akira for a re-watch. Pre-DVD/BD movies are painful to watch on an HDTV.